Many new members, please introduce yourself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many new members, please introduce yourself!

I noticed an agreeable increase in participation of new members, I wonder if folks could share their interests, collections, etc.

I am curious too!

Comment

Come on, give us a Hi

MalgusPryme
      seaholly
      Kevin Gee
      Thrawn
      FlyingFool
      Till Foxburr
      Ken
      Ronin
      Marda7

Comment

Maybe they are a tad bit shy or just don't know what to say. I wonder if it would help if one of us were to start? For the 'oldies' on here you know all this but I'm hoping it may help get the newer members to introduce themselves.

Hi.

I fell in love with Lord of the Rings when my son and I 'tag team' read it together when he was in grade 5. I fell in love with it all over again when Sir Peter Jackson's first movie came out in 2002 and my love has grown from there. When I went to New Zealand in 2013 I had the opportunity to go to Weta workshop, where I found out about Shadow and Flames (S&F) forum, the predecessor of this forum. I also went to Hobbiton, with the same son that I had read Lord of the Rings with many years prior to this, a place we had both wanted to visit since 2002. When I got back to Canada, I became a member of the S&F, on which most of my posts were in the thread "Hobbiton Picture of the Day" started by Scriff. I found out just how friendly the members were on the forum and my post count increased, rather rapidly.

My love and pursuit of knowledge about Hobbiton has only grown, especially the time of the Lord of the Rings filming and the white plywood facade first era.

When the S&F flame flickered and went out. I got in touch with the main mod from that forum, Pordey/Stig, and stated I would be more than willing to help anyway I could to get a new one up and running. He asked me to be a mod, so I could hope members figure out how to do things on the new forum, this one. I accepted under the condition that once everything was working well, that I would be allowed to step down. I did actually step down from my mod duties for a short time, but found that I could help better with the 'special' mod access that ones receives. Thus I am still a mod 4.5 years later and still love helping members whenever possible.

Of course your "Hello" doesn't need to be this lengthy. We do seem to be a rather curious 'family' about:
        - when you first fell in love with Middle-earth
        - where your passion lies in Middle-earth collecting; weapons, statues, cosplay, props, all of them
        - some of us are interested in your 'user name'. Me, I had never been on a forum so I didn't have a 'user name'. Looked up the rising of the sun/dawn to see if there was a word for it in elvish and 'Minuialwen' came up. It was not yet taken, and so Minuialwen or Min for short became mine.
        - pictures are always most welcome.
        ---- how to do using the forum folder
        ---- how to do using Flickr
        ---- if photo bucket is more to your liking

If you have any questions about how to do something on the forum either ask on the forum or shoot me a PM. I do love to help members out.

May Flame of Udun ever burn bright, and be a safe haven for all lovers of Middle-earth.

Comment

Prince Imrahil

Comment

Hey guys. Happy to be aboard! I introduced myself in another thread but I'm happy to do it again here. Actually I've been wanting to post in this thread for a few days and I finally found some free time.
            I'm just a good ole replica prop collector out in California. My real name is Ronald but I usually go by Ron so I chose Ronin because it's a cool moniker that's close to my real name. Very creative I know. I just added two letters lol. Maybe I could've called myself Rohan. I also do happen to like the mystique of the Ronin Samurai.

My love of Tolkien first began when I happened to read the Hobbit as a teenager by chance. Before then I remember knowing about the LOTR books as I had partially skimmed through them in elementary school but up until I read the Hobbit, I wasn't even aware they were part of the same world. I eventually got caught up and then obviously when the movies came out, I fell in love with those too.

So while I've been a fan of Tolkien for many years now, I only just started collecting Hobbit/LOTR replicas in 2017 with my first piece being UC Anduril. Before that I mainly collected Star Wars props. Why the late start? Well, thanks to places like theRPF, I discovered that the custom prop replica making world was of higher quality than most things in the licensed world. So when it came time to start collecting Middle-Earth props, I first searched for custom prop makers and avoided anything licensed (which I came to regret). Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone who made high quality, accurate pieces and the few that did were way out of my budget. So I decided to take that look at what UC was offering and bought Anduril and I was blown away by how nice it was. I soon found myself searching for any older UC piece I could find to buy. I wish I would've started earlier and picked up those now hard to find pieces like the helms or some of the scabbards (dying to get my hands on a Strider scabbard). I'm glad to see UC often reissues some older pieces and gives some of us newbies a chance to catch up. I've managed to acquire maybe a little less than half of the UC line.

I only have a few prop pieces from Weta so far: Weapons, pipes, Jen Hansen "One Ring", some posters, etc. They've all been nice though if I'm being honest I didn't like the Dwalin axes. I don't have any of the statues. As lovely as they are, I just don't have the room to display them and I would hate to leave them sitting in boxes. I'd like to eventually get at least one though. If I could pick which one, I really liked the Isidur staring at the One ring statue.

I mentioned I'm on theRPF but I wanted to also be on a forum that was more Middle-Earth centric so here I am. I'm also a member at Ultimate Collectors Forum. Like here, everyone there is super nice.

Besides Middle-Earth, I'm a big fan of Star Wars and yes, I have way too many lightsabers scattered throughout my house haha. I'm also a comic book nerd and video gamer. I play guitar and if money was no object, I'd probably have a hundred of those too.

So that's pretty much me. Thank you guys for setting up this forum and thank you for welcoming me. Forgive me if I ask any newb questions lol.

Cheers,
            Ron
            Last edited by Ronin; 10th November 2019, 18:41.

Comment

Great hearing from you Ronin . There are a number of Star Wars's fans on this forum as well, so you are in good company in that aspect as well.

I'm sure you will find this is one of the best, most friendly Middle-earth forums in the 'verse, if not the best.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Thanks Minuialwen ! That's so cool that you got to go to Hobbiton and Weta. I'm hoping to get out to New Zealand one day myself and explore some of the locales from the movies. And as nerdy as this is going to sound, I would totally carry a sword and just run around humming the soundtrack to myself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
                  Thanks Minuialwen ! That's so cool that you got to go to Hobbiton and Weta. I'm hoping to get out to New Zealand one day myself and explore some of the locales from the movies. And as nerdy as this is going to sound, I would totally carry a sword and just run around humming the soundtrack to myself lol.
                  I am sure it is no nerdier than me going to Hobbiton, in full hobbit cosplay, pointed ears, big feet and all. Informing my friends the number of each hobbit hole, the changes that were made to each of them all the while skipping down the paths, big feet and all.

May your hopes and dreams come true Ronin.

Comment

Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post

I am sure it is no nerdier than me going to Hobbiton, in full hobbit cosplay, pointed ears, big feet and all. Informing my friends the number of each hobbit hole, the changes that were made to each of them all the while skipping down the paths, big feet and all.

May your hopes and dreams come true Ronin.
                    Hahahaha love it.

So what's it like there? Are you free to roam where ever? Are you able to go inside the Hobbit holes? I assume there's nothing inside them except what can be seen looking in from the front door. The entrance way basically. Everything else would have been done on a soundstage.

Comment

Hi all

Time to introduce myself, after the nice invitation. My real name is Markus and I'm from Germany. I started collecting a couple years ago, with the Sideshow Snake Plissken 1:6 Figure being my first ever "real" collectible (not counting all those Star Wars Toys from Kenner and such when I was a kid). I was blown away with the quality and likeness (for that time) and was instantly hooked. As a big Star Wars Fan I mostly collect 1:6 scale Star Wars Figures from Hot Toys and Sideshow.

My first experience with Tolkien and Middle Earth was of course "the" Trilogy made by Peter Jackson. I am a huge film geek and was always interested in behind the scenes stuff and reports of shootings way ahead of a movies release. So one day in 1998 or so I stumbled about this "Lord of the Rings" film(s) that were to be made in New Zealand. The more I read about it the more my anticipation for the movies grew. I decided to read the books first so that I would know what to expect. And to be honest, I started reading Fellowship about 3 times and threw it in the corner of the room after 50 pages or so. The sheer detailness of Tolkien, describing all the geography, the races, the differences within the hobbit families and all was too much for me. My definition of a Fantasy Story at that time was the movie "Conan the Barbarian" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, so there's that. Somehow, I still wanted to know what all the fuzz about LotR being the bible for Fantasy fans was about and tried it a fourth time. And suddenly, I was hooked. Totally. I read all 3 books and was completely drawn into Middle Earth.

Is there a word limit for this introduction anyway? I'm rambling quite a lot, I guess

My first contact with Middle Earth Collectibles was (as with Ronin in the last post) the UC Anduril. And what a beauty that was! Weta statues was something I was aware of, but to be frank, they were too expensive for me if I would still collect Star Wars stuff. Little did I know how prices would "evolve" in a short number of years...

Anyway, thanks to a Weta Black Friday Sale my first statue was the Uruk-hai Swordsman. And I was totally blown away with the quality of this statue. This was truly a piece of art. And so the story went... I could not stop buying more from Weta, against my better judgement and financial resources. I think you all know what I'm talking about

However, I must say that I don't see myself for very much longer collecting Weta statues as the price increase over the last 2-3 years is something that really throws me off. I would love to have ordered GoKart, but there was no way I could afford this, financially or emotionally.

That being said, again a friendly Hello from Germany to all fellow flamers
                      Last edited by FlyingFool; 10th November 2019, 19:46.

Comment

I hate to inform you, but you are herded by guides from one hobbit hole to the next. Depending on the time of your tour, day or dinner tour, depends on how many hobbit holes you actually get to see. The dinner/evening tour allows you more 'freedom' and you are able to see more hobbit holes, due to going back through Hobbiton after the dinner.

There are only 2 hobbit holes they allow tourists to go into #35 and #40, #40 being the most common one. The reason could partly be due to the scale/size of these two, as they are about human size, while most of the others are created to make wizards look large.

There is only one hobbit hole in Hobbiton that had anything inside the door way at Hobbiton and that is Bag End, not even the Gamgee's hobbit hole had items placed inside the door way. They all have trinkets and what-nots in their windows.

As for what they look like inside, well why not outside first:
                        #40 -- not my picture, as all my pictures of #40 have people in them.

#40 Inside: looking to the left (from above picture)

#40 Looking to the right:

and what one sees when looking out the right side, circular, window of #40:

LSB and I are total nerds when it comes to Hobbiton, especially the Hobbiton during the time of filming.

The first time I was in Hobbiton in 2013, I was 'star struck'! In total awe and truly over-whelmed by it all.

When I went back two years later, I had learned all that I could from LSB. Plus all the knowledge the two of us could dig up on Hobbiton's beginnings. This time I was still in awe, but a different kind, knowing what I did.

Comment

Oh wow thank you for sharing these pictures! Yeah, kind of what I figured in regard to the interiors. Very lovely on the outside though. I'm so glad they kept Hobbiton in tact after filming.

So if there's a "#40", is there actually 40 or so Hobbit holes there?

Comment

Hi FlyingFool

What a great introduction. There is no limit on the number of words one can/is allowed to write in any post, especially their introduction post.

Awe yes, the book being 'tossed' into the corner. Sounds like me the first many number of times I tried to read the Silmarillion. I totally understand where you are coming from there!

The slipper slope of Weta collectibles, all most all of us here can sympathize with you on that one, but one must admit it is a very fun ride down, isn't it.

Welcome to the forum, may you find it an enjoyable place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
                              Oh wow thank you for sharing these pictures! Yeah, kind of what I figured in regard to the interiors. Very lovely on the outside though. I'm so glad they kept Hobbiton in tact after filming.

So if there's a "#40", is there actually 40 or so Hobbit holes there?
                              There are 45 hobbit holes in all plus Bag End. 1-40 as you guessed, plus 2a, and what we call 24 east and 24 west, plus #1 Bagshot row, #2 Bagshot row (Daddy Twofeet's according to JRRTolkien) and #3 Bagshot Row which is the Gamgee's.

There were 41 hobbit holes plus Bag End during the filming of LotR.

Comment

Yes, welcome newbies....

Comment

Minuialwen - in 40 lives no Hobbit. Based on the pictures it is a nasty, dirty, wet hole full of worms and oozy smells.

Comment

Working...
                                  X