Hi, everyone. Newbie rediscovering collectibles from Middle-earth.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, everyone. Newbie rediscovering collectibles from Middle-earth.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I've been collecting across many different hobbies since I was a kid. My first and constant passion seems to be comics. Every time I feel I've outgrown the hobby I always come back in some form or another. Even though I don't collect individual comics anymore I still love expanding my library with essential hardcovers and omnibus'. I also collect original art when opportunities present themselves. Aside from that I've collected statues, toys, prints, and props across many different properties. My favorites are Star Wars, Marvel, Blade Runner and of course... The Lord of the Rings.

Even though I've been obsessed with Marvel super-heroes and the Star Wars universe since I was 7, the first big collectible I ever spent some hard earned money on was the United Cutlery Limited Edition Anduril. I was proud to have this majestic collectible on my wall. Unfortunately I could only afford the one sword at the time. So as time passed and I discovered statues and comic art, my collecting focus had shifted and I forgot about the rest of the UC line. And I am disappointed to say that I ended up selling the sword to fund my other collecting addictions. I've sold a lot of collectibles over the years, but they are always out of sight and out of mind. No regrets. Except Anduril...

So, fast forward to August 2018, where my wife finally says she has time to watch the Hobbit trilogy. I saw these in the theater when each one was released, but she was always stuck at home with a newborn or otherwise indisposed. But seeing these movies with her, back to back, sparked something. I needed to see the LOTR extended cuts immediately (it has been YEARS). When it was over I jumped on my computer and finally bought the UC Glamdring I had always wanted. Not long after, I found a fairly priced UC Frodo Sting, then a Legolas Bow... you know where this is going. And since I am apparently on a crusade for more, my search is what ultimately led me to this fine establishment.

Hi

Welcome to one of the most wonderfull nooks of the internet and the slippery slope that leads to a room/house full of Middle Earth related goodies

Comment

Welcome, welcome and thrice welcome!

Comment

Welcome Atomsk.

May you find this place a relaxing get away from 'real life'. Although that slipper slope that Vicksken was talking about is all too real, but a super fun ride.

At least you will be in good company on that slope.

Comment

Hi Atomsk,
          welcome to this beautiful forum.

Comment

Welcome!

I completely understand about the collecting bug. The UC pieces are nice and look great up on display! I completely understand collecting the swords. I have the bug on collecting the masters series myself.

Also like you I collect rare Star Wars things. Here’s a pic of my 6 foot Millennium falcon extraordinaire. I don’t really have much Star Wars stuff but this is my favorite piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C409E3D6-2CE7-4B82-8825-63D6A0EE9C88.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	128480

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. It's always a slippery slope whenever I venture into a new line of collectibles, but this one seems especially steep.

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
              Welcome!

I completely understand about the collecting bug. The UC pieces are nice and look great up on display! I completely understand collecting the swords. I have the bug on collecting the masters series myself.

Also like you I collect rare Star Wars things. Here’s a pic of my 6 foot Millennium falcon extraordinaire. I don’t really have much Star Wars stuff but this is my favorite piece.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C409E3D6-2CE7-4B82-8825-63D6A0EE9C88.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	128480
              That is a nice vintage Falcon, ghettodactyl. I don't own a vintage piece like that but I am working on the recent PG Bandai kit. And when I figure out where to put it I'll start building the UCS Lego with the kids.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Atomsk!

Comment

Welcome to the "Falme of Udun".
                  The Argonath. Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                    Welcome to the forum Atomsk!
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by Anduin View Post
                    Welcome to the "Falme of Udun".
                    Thank you!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Don't get me started on comic books... I had a large collection in close to NM and sold it to pay for expenses when studying. Oh well, bygones I guess. At least the Tolkien universe brings me joy now =)

Comment

Welcome Atomsk! I'm not much for comics and don't own any apart from the two Mass Effect library edition hardcovers but I can relate to the Middle-Earth stuff. Rewatching the movies is deffinitely the best way to increase your collection (as proven by my ebay history following LotR marathons).

Feel at home here, won't ya

Comment

Hi mate good to
                          see you here

you certainly carnt beat a good millenium falcon i have the lego ucs falcon and i love it what collect was that one from in the pic is it a model or toy

Comment

Originally posted by Sirjump View Post
                            Welcome to the forum! Don't get me started on comic books... I had a large collection in close to NM and sold it to pay for expenses when studying. Oh well, bygones I guess. At least the Tolkien universe brings me joy now =)
                            I did the same thing with my individual comic collection. Not to pay for studying though, just to feed a different collecting addiction.

Originally posted by Anarion View Post
                            Welcome Atomsk! I'm not much for comics and don't own any apart from the two Mass Effect library edition hardcovers but I can relate to the Middle-Earth stuff. Rewatching the movies is deffinitely the best way to increase your collection (as proven by my ebay history following LotR marathons).

Feel at home here, won't ya
                            Thanks. Another thing feeding the addiction is catching up on all the Tolkien books I never read. I am amazed at how much I wasn't even aware of.

Originally posted by Star wars vs lotr View Post
                            Hi mate good to
                            see you here

you certainly carnt beat a good millenium falcon i have the lego ucs falcon and i love it what collect was that one from in the pic is it a model or toy
                            Thanks. I believe the one ghettodactyl posted is the old Kenner toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Star wars vs lotr View Post
                              Hi mate good to
                              see you here

It’s not a model and is considered a Toy though it’s not like you can really play with it due to the size. If you ever went to Toys R Us back in the late 90s and looked up at their ceiling this was on display. It was never for sale and not very many have survived. They raffled some of them off back then for ones that were in good enough shape to give away. Theirs only a few hundred that are still around so it’s a very rare piece. The pic I posted is hard to understand how big it actually is. Those are double doors in the background. Here’s a pic with me next to it so you get a better idea of how massive it truely is. It’s 4 feet wide and 6 feet long.

Click image for larger version  Name:	65F5D6DD-5D34-4EF4-8BE1-7051262EEA2A.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	128802

Comment

Working...
                              X