Sam and Bill the Pony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Grail acquired and yet no supporting pictures from the lucky new owner?

Congratulations on getting this beautiful piece of Hobbityness

Comment

Dave Mac I know I tried taking pictures with my real camera (cause that's what they deserve) only to discover that my camera can't focus properly any more

Comment

Are you sure it's the camera given the recent birthday and another year on the optics?

Sam and Bill really do bring a moment to life though. Wonder if we will get a Bilbo and pony?

Comment

Dave Mac It's always the tools never the wielder

Bilbo and pony would make a very cute duo that I wouldn't be able to resist. Let's hope Weta gives us that statue in 2026

Comment

Congrats on picking up this fantastic piece! It is one of my grails and captures such a beautiful moment.
            "I aim to misbehave." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Comment

Congrats! It's a lovely piece and you got it for a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Book of Eastmarch View Post
                It outshines anything Weta have released in the last 5 years and probably for many more years

No brainer
                Absolutely maybe much longer I’d say!

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
                Thank you guys and girls and Hobbits for convincing me to get them! They arrived yesterday and even though they aren't any where near the spectaculairyness of the "modern" ones, I love it so very much. It really captures the kind, gentle and big hearted Sam that I love

Even my mum who dropped by as I was unpacking them fell for them. I think they might even have dethroned ToE on her fav list
                Congrats Vicky!

Sam and Bill is the grail of my statues, Sam being arguably the real hero of the LOTR. I love the humility, compassion, friendship, and loyalty instilled within this statue

I had to wait a long time for mine too, as I missed him the first time round (back then I didn’t order things online, just had to wait see if they came into local stores) but I managed to find one on eBay eventually, brand new still sealed!

When I opened it, the paper wrapped around the statue was so old that what little was left of it was mostly disintegrated and yellow

But the statue was perfect with no quality issues whatsoever and stunning paint job, such fine detail I’d say it’s a match for anything released recently.

Such a special statue, so glad you managed to find a good price too

Comment

Sam & Bill the Pony is easily one of the top three statues ever from the SSW days. I would put him up there with the original Balrog and the RWOS in terms of cool factor and collection bragging rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                    Sam & Bill the Pony is easily one of the top three statues ever from the SSW days. I would put him up there with the original Balrog and the RWOS in terms of cool factor and collection bragging rights.
                    Ooh I have two of the three! Back in the day, the balrog, cave troll and Witch King I think were seen as the top three.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

Ooh I have two of the three! Back in the day, the balrog, cave troll and Witch King I think were seen as the top three.
                      Yep, those three make a nice top contender list also. I have Sam and recently picked up the RWOS, but Daddy Rog will be forever out of reach but that's ok as I have both Baby and Boss Rog.

I think the Watcher in the Water makes for a close fourth.

Comment

Yep, those three make a nice top contender list also. I have Sam and recently picked up the RWOS, but Daddy Rog will be forever out of reach but that's ok as I have both Baby and Boss Rog.

I think the Watcher in the Water makes for a close fourth.
                        Oh I meant the twilight witch king but yes, the RWOS is something I will not let go of. Not sure about the watcher, it doesn't seem to have gained much value on the secondary market, and isn't a main creature... I would place the stone trolls above it.

Comment

Oh I meant the twilight witch king but yes, the RWOS is something I will not let go of. Not sure about the watcher, it doesn't seem to have gained much value on the secondary market, and isn't a main creature... I would place the stone trolls above it.
                          I know you meant the Twilight Witch King. It was my way of saying that's an acceptable one to put in the top three, along with the Cave Troll. As for the Watcher, I think it is an excellent and underrated piece, and the fact its value hasn't gone through the roof doesn't really mean much to me as I appreciate a piece for its artistic value, not monetary (and I know you do too.)

Comment

Oh absolutely. I have the watcher and love it, especially the watery gloss effect. I think the original Orthanc is up there too, I was so excited to get that one!

Comment

Had the Watcher and sold it on as couldn't get passed the glaring joints of the limbs. Now if it was to be remade and those joints hidden, I might go for it again. The innaugral Saruman with Palantir is a fantastic piece as well but it's all about personal taste as to what you like

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                                Had the Watcher and sold it on as couldn't get passed the glaring joints of the limbs. Now if it was to be remade and those joints hidden, I might go for it again. The innaugral Saruman with Palantir is a fantastic piece as well but it's all about personal taste as to what you like
                                That has always been my main complaint about that statue ever since I first saw the pictures of it. I understand why some of the arms needed to be separate, but I wish they had hid the seams better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                                  Originally posted by Stig View Post

That has always been my main complaint about that statue ever since I first saw the pictures of it. I understand why some of the arms needed to be separate, but I wish they had hid the seams better.
                                  Treebeard and Merry and Pippin would like a word with you both.

15 years later and Weta hasn't learned as much as we think.

Comment

Treebeard and Merry and Pippin would like a word with you both.

15 years later and Weta hasn't learned as much as we think.
                                    That's mainly one branch, isn't it, and it can be hidden by turning the ent around a bit, but with the Watcher there is now way to hide it. But I agree, they could have hidden the seam directly behind the leg instead of next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post

That's mainly one branch, isn't it, and it can be hidden by turning the ent around a bit, but with the Watcher there is now way to hide it. But I agree, they could have hidden the seam directly behind the leg instead of next to it.
                                      Well, some of his leg and arm joints aren't 100% invisible either, but yes, I do agree the Watcher is not a glowing example of seamlessness. I suppose if one isn't planning on reselling and ever re-boxing the Watcher, the seams can be made to go away with a bit of glue, putty, and paint, but I wouldn't dare do that. In the end, it's all about the limits of personal tolerance.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I have the watcher and love it, especially the watery gloss effect. I think the original Orthanc is up there too, I was so excited to get that one!
                                        And for only $90!

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

And for only $90!
                                          That's the craziest part. I can't remember, but I really hope that it was sold out when I started collecting in 2003

Comment

Working...
                                          X