Rate the last movie you watched

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Glassary View Post
    They Shall Not Grow Old 10/10
    Tonight I went to a showing of the Peter Jackson & the Imperial War Museum documentary "They Shall
    Not Grow Old". What an amazing piece of filmmaking, simply outstanding.

    PJ and the people at Park Road Post Productions have taken hundred year old archival film footage and with their technical magic made it look close to contemporary. What is normally jerky newsreels now appears fluid and graceful.
    Not to mention the gentle touch of colorization adding a lifelike quality to the soldiers and landscape.
    The audio commentary is from actual interviews conducted over 50 years ago with those that survived the battle of the Somme.

    You feel you understand the soldiers rush to enlist and the numbing realization when they get to the front
    that war is hell. The life of the troops in the trenches at the front is shown in all its detail. The good, the bad and the downright horrifying. They don't shy away from showing the horrors of war in all its colorized glory.
    There comes a point when you suddenly remember that you are watching actual footage from war and not a reenactment. That the hundreds of young men at the front who you have seen smiling, chatting to the camera,
    bumming cigarettes, only a few of them made it back. Those that did were forever changed by this war both physically and emotionally.

    I went to the 3D showing and would recommend this format, it looks amazing.
    Also stay after the credits to see the mini documentary on how they created this film.
    The theater where I went was sold out and not one person left until the lights came up.
    This is brilliant and powerful filmmaking.
    Highly recommend.

    https://youtu.be/IrabKK9Bhds
    Loved your review!!!!! I look forward to seeing this.

    Comment


      Alita Battle Angel 7/10
      First off I haven't read the Alita manga so I came into this totally blind. My total knowledge of this film was the trailers and of course seeing the Weta figures.

      The good:
      Visually the world was fabulous, complex and amazing. I completely bought into this being 600 years into the future.
      The action sequences were fantastic. The were very fluid and felt natural. Well as natural as a bunch of cyborgs can be. Needless to say there was tons of CGI, but I didn't notice any glaring moments when it was obvious and kicked you out of the moment. Also appreciated the fact that the action pieces were paced where you could see the action. Too many movies toss everything in just because they can (Transformers I'm looking at you) and the audience only sees a blur.
      There was a bit of humor which surprised me. Christoph Waltz as always was compelling.

      The bad:
      O.K. There was nothing bad but a few things that were bothersome that pulled down the ranking.
      Love story...meh, not necessary but I get why it was there.
      Jennifer Connelly ...boring.
      Most of the supporting cast seemed interesting but their characters went nowhere, not fleshed out.
      The plot was good but at times it seemed like they left out information. My assumption is
      that if you read the manga you would understand. But mainly it felt like they held back on details and some character development for the sequel. You could tell in the last quarter they were setting up for plots to carry over to the next film.

      My major irritation...we are 600 years in the future but what happened with wardrobe? It seems like 20% of the cast were dressed in something a bit more futuristic and the rest (crowd scenes) looked like the filmed this today. Seriously about 5 minutes in there is a guy in shorts, tee shirt and a messenger bag looking down over a railing. It gave me the feeling that whomever showed up as extras they didn't bother to dress, just pushed out on set. Seriously couldn't James Cameron bust into that Titanic/Avatar money and spring for a few items?

      But what I loved about the movie vastly outweighed any faults. It's a great popcorn movie. You can root for the good guys uhh girl, who seriously kicks ass.

      Saw in 3D and it works well in this format. Just don't sit on the sides it gets wonky.

      Last edited by Glassary; 15th February 2019, 16:28.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Glassary View Post
        Alita Battle Angel 7/10
        First off I haven't read the Alita manga so I came into this totally blind. My total knowledge of this film was the trailers and of course seeing the Weta figures.

        The good:
        Visually the world was fabulous, complex and amazing. I completely bought into this being 600 years into the future.
        The action sequences were fantastic. The were very fluid and felt natural. Well as natural as a bunch of cyborgs can be. Needless to say there was tons of CGI, but I didn't notice any glaring moments when it was obvious and kicked you out of the moment. Also appreciated the fact that the action pieces were paced where you could see the action. Too many movies toss everything in just because they can (Transformers I'm looking at you) and the audience only sees a blur.
        There was a bit of humor which surprised me. Christoph Waltz as always was compelling.

        The bad:
        O.K. There was nothing bad but a few things that were bothersome that pulled down the ranking.
        Love story...meh, not necessary but I get why it was there.
        Jennifer Connelly ...boring.
        Most of the supporting cast seemed interesting but their characters went nowhere, not fleshed out.
        The plot was good but at times it seemed like they left out information. My assumption is
        that if you read the manga you would understand. But mainly it felt like they held back on details and some character development for the sequel. You could tell in the last quarter they were setting up for plots to carry over to the next film.

        My major irritation...we are 600 years in the future but what happened with wardrobe? It seems like 20% of the cast were dressed in something a bit more futuristic and the rest (crowd scenes) looked like the filmed this today. Seriously about 5 minutes in there is a guy in shorts, tee shirt and a messenger bag looking down over a railing. It gave me the feeling that whomever showed up as extras they didn't bother to dress, just pushed out on set. Seriously couldn't James Cameron bust into that Titanic/Avatar money and spring for a few items?

        But what I loved about the movie vastly outweighed any faults. It's a great popcorn movie. You can root for the good guys uhh girl, who seriously kicks ass.

        Saw in 3D and it works well in this format. Just don't sit on the sides it gets wonky.
        Alita

        I also saw it in 3D...and blind to any other version of this character. The plot was a bit choppy. Think they'd cut some scenes to make the length. I'd like to see the director's cut. There was a slight cartoon element to the animation but the compositing was flawless. IMO, This is where the money went.

        The animation was up to the Weta Digi standard.
        I thought the costuming was OK. The people down below were wearing clothing indicative of their station. The higher-ups were obviously much more fashionable. The technology was the feature and the gender equality. There was humour...in the most unlikely places.

        Last edited by Annabel; 15th February 2019, 20:24.

        Comment


          Caught up on some movies:

          Venom 8/10
          Simple movie, but great fun. That 'turd in thr wind' line - priceless!

          Incredibles 2 9/10
          Love it! Easily as good as the first one.

          How to Train Your Dragon 3 7/10
          Not as good as the second part, both visually and story-wise, but still a good film to enjoy.

          Alita: Battle Angel 9/10
          Pure cinematic bliss. Go, watch it! I want to see a sequel.

          Haven't watched so many great fun movies in a row for a long time.
          Last edited by Homunculus1916; 19th February 2019, 10:25.
          Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

          Comment


            Watched

            Mortal Engines - 7.5\10 I have no idea why it did so bad but I loved it.... the special effects are out of this world.... not a single thing looks out of place as everything is so so real....my only question is how someone reads this book and thinks to himself that its doable into a movie.... you have to have the bits the size of coconuts cause the story\world\everything is so so complex Well done

            Comment


              Originally posted by Eti View Post
              Watched

              Mortal Engines - 7.5\10 I have no idea why it did so bad but I loved it.... the special effects are out of this world.... not a single thing looks out of place as everything is so so real....my only question is how someone reads this book and thinks to himself that its doable into a movie.... you have to have the bits the size of coconuts cause the story\world\everything is so so complex Well done
              I watched it too and do not understand why everybody says it is a cliché movie (yes there are clichés... ) I have a feeling people who are complaining about the story in this movie, are loving every Marvel movie with pretty much the same issuess... Mortal Engines is not a fantastic movie, but it is a nice movie to watch once.

              Comment


                The Wandering Earth 7-8/10

                Went tonight to see The Wandering Earth and really enjoyed it.
                Film is in Mandarin with English subtitles.

                Being a sci-fi space adventure I had to let go of parts of the plot that seemed a bit preposterous (flying the entire planet out of the solar system) and simply enjoy the action and story as it played out.
                It had a little bit of everything, humor, action, dramatic moments and a few emotional scenes.
                Followed the traditional arc that most space adventures have but had its own twists too.

                There is an ensemble cast so didn't get to flesh out too many characters but that didn't matter overall. Performances were strong and believable. My only minor issue was the teenage heroine. But that could be just me and I'm tired of the that type of character in recent films.

                The action sequences were great and the set design was excellent. Just the right blend of looking very advanced and high tech but also a bit shabby as it's been used and looks it.
                Did notice that a few times it looked like they went old school with matte backgrounds.
                The effects all worked well and the few minor flaws could be overlooked.
                Fyi the Weta designed spacesuits were very kewl.

                Overall I'm waffling between 7-8 as I'm a sucker for a good space romp.
                So if you can't speak Mandarin and don't mind subtitles I would recommend.
                Break out the popcorn and a tissue or two.

                Comment


                  A Star is Born - 10/10

                  Well, I'm late to the party as usual but I just watched A Star is Born and I was completely not expecting to love it let alone be blown away by it. There were times that I actually got chills during some of the songs and acting.

                  It's not nominated for an Oscar but this is my favorite song from the movie.



                  Actually I was amazed at how great all of the songs were.

                  I really don't know anything about Lady Gaga but in this movie she just nailed it as the shy coming-out-of-her-shell performer. Had me believing all the way to the end.

                  Cooper's terrific as usual. His addiction was brutal to watch and I almost couldn't watch at times. Towards the end of the movie when he told his brother that he was the one that he really idolized and then the look and tears in the eyes of his brother, it was a gut punch for me.

                  Highly recommended.
                  Last edited by Ithildin; 24th February 2019, 17:06.

                  Comment


                    Just finished Titans on Netflix...

                    It started well, but the final episode seemed just intent on setting up the next season without closing this season.

                    Some great episodes on their own, but the whole season wasn’t great - such a shame.

                    Scriff

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                      A Star is Born - 10/10

                      Well, I'm late to the party as usual but I just watched A Star is Born and I was completely not expecting to love it let alone be blown away by it. There were times that I actually got chills during some of the songs and acting.
                      Gaga is so much more than the poppy dance songs she has hit the charts with. She has released more down to earth stuff too, but of course it's the Pokerfaces and Bad Romances who get all the attention. And her crazy outfits too

                      Comment


                        Just saw Alita battle angel 7,5/10
                        "I would have gone with you to the end,into the very fires of mordor"

                        Comment


                          Captain Marvel 6/10

                          Now I'm all about female empowerment and have no problem with Brie Larson being Captain Marvel.
                          But something about the way they presented virtually all of the female characters didn't feel right.
                          To the point that I was more aware of the role being female than the role being good.
                          Think the studio was more infatuated with using the female incarnation of Captain Marvel rather
                          than making a good movie.

                          Effects were top notch, but I expect that from a Marvel film. Saw the 3D version which worked well.
                          Performances were very good also. Well as good as the material warranted.
                          But good performances and effects simply aren't enough to save the way the story plays out.
                          The plot at times gets too complicated and confusing. Then something is off with the pacing.
                          The combination of these both not working drags the story down.

                          Mostly I didn't care about what was happening until Nick Fury, Agent Coulson and the cat showed up.
                          Seriously Nick Fury and the cat are the best parts of the entire movie.
                          Some dude 3 seats down started lightly snoring at the mid point. I'm guessing he didn't like the film.
                          But he missed the dynamic duo of Fury and the feline so I kinda felt sorry for him.

                          Oh there is one lovely scene and it's a cameo....you know who I'm taking about.
                          So for that alone I would recommend.
                          Overall if you are a fan of the MCU and superhero films it's an ok popcorn flick.

                          Comment


                            I have to agree with you Glassary that Captain Marvel was one of the weaker Marvel movies of late. But it's far from a bad movie.

                            The best part of the movie is definitively the Fury, Danvers and Goose dynamic and the worst is probably the pacing.

                            And I did like how they did the tribute to Stan Lee in the very beginning

                            Comment


                              The Green Book - 5/10

                              A watered down, 'feel good' film that skirts over abhorrent racist practices that have never been fully addressed to this day. Shame it is so PC as it could have been such a gritty film with the calibre of the leads involved.

                              Comment


                                Cap Marvel - 5/10

                                First time I slept during a Marvel movie. I think it was a quite weak awakening/ explanation for so much power. Bad villains, lame fights. Listen I am a big fan of Marvel but I left the cinema disappointed.

                                Comment


                                  Saw Captain Marvel and thought it was good- not great, but decent. Its a big gamble IMO for the MCU to introduce a new big character into the universe just before Endgame.
                                  The movie isnset in the 90s so it was cool to get a bit of 90s nostalgia. I felt some of the music was a put off- it almost dragged me out of the movie at times.

                                  The de-aging of Fury and Coulson was fantastic as was most of the special effects. The action I found wasnt really that exciting in comparison to several other MCU movies, and I felt there wasnt really any peril for the characters- I never felt worried for them.

                                  I still enjoyed the overall movie as it was an easy to watch, good popcorn flick and the after credits scene really got me hyped for Endgame.

                                  7/10
                                  "I aim to misbehave." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

                                  Comment


                                    Captain Marvel 8/10
                                    Saw it with the kids and a family friend (who is a big Marvel fan) and we all enjoyed it.

                                    I liked the story.
                                    Ben Mendelsohn just rocks - I thought the humour in this movie was really good.

                                    Worth addition to the Marvel universe and cannot wait for Endgame.

                                    Scrif

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Scriff View Post
                                      cannot wait for Endgame.

                                      Comment


                                        I just bing watched “The Umbrella Academy” on Netflix: I didn’t think I’d like it but after a few episodes in I was so hooked I ended up watching all 10 episodes in a row. I’d give it a 8.5/10. I really hope Netflix does a season 2.

                                        Comment


                                          Watched Captain Marvel the other week and as you all said before me it was not a fantastic movie....far from fantastc but not as bad as some are saying... I loved the way her hair was on the outside of the helmet but it did not impress me at all.... one thing I loved was that it was set in 1995 and it was an awesome time

                                          Watching MOM series and am at season 6 at the moment and I absolutely love it....so funny I do recommend

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X