Rate the last movie you watched

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the grandkids to see the new MARY POPPINS. Pretty mediocre and rather hollow. Five out of Ten and really not worth paying to see it.

Comment

Aquaman. I know it’s doing well at the box office but It was pretty bad. I don’t even know where to begin.

Comment

Bird Box - 6/10

Horror - How do you survive in a world where you have to blinfold yourself? (Bit obvious!)
        Another of those increasingly annoying films with little to no explanation as to what happened or how it 'ends'. Some good suspense but overly contrived story using children as the lure.

Tyler -7/10

Drama- A young guy goes on a weekend birthday binge with his friend to a remote house in the frozen north only to discover that he is the only black guy there amongst an increasingly intoxicated group of white males.
        Very good in provoking perceptions of how we act or are seen to act in such situations.

Searching- 7/10

Thriller- A recently widowed fathers daughter goes missing and he has to try and piece together her final movements and who she knew by her social media usage. A bit of an eye opener as to how well we think we may know our children.

Comment

Just overwatched the Unbreakable Split and the Glass are next. Haven't seen the last one yet but other Shyamalan's movies are awesome

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10 - probably a bit bias there since Queen and Mercury have been in my top 10 band list since I was young. Brought back a lot of memories, had a lump in my throat a lot especially during the band aid show. Simply a great tribute to a great band/vocalist and a smashing performance by Rami Malek. Well deserved Oscar nominations for best movie, best actor and cutting. I think it will win in the last category though since the PC Oscar show will select something boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirjump View Post
              Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10 - probably a bit bias there since Queen and Mercury have been in my top 10 band list since I was young. Brought back a lot of memories, had a lump in my throat a lot especially during the band aid show. Simply a great tribute to a great band/vocalist and a smashing performance by Rami Malek. Well deserved Oscar nominations for best movie, best actor and cutting. I think it will win in the last category though since the PC Oscar show will select something boring.
              I liked the movie as well, but I did not like all the "mistakes/lies".
              Freddy did not know he had AIDS before band aid and Queen never broke up. (In fact the band was touring at the time the move implicated they were broken up.) Those two big mistakes and a few of the smaller ones brought down the rating for me.
              But it's Queen, and the fact we can listen to Queen songs through out the movie brings the rating back up again, so I'll give it an 8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Herendil View Post

Freddy did not know he had AIDS before band aid and Queen never broke up. (In fact the band was touring at the time the move implicated they were broken up.) Those two big mistakes and a few of the smaller ones brought down the rating for me.
                But it's Queen, and the fact we can listen to Queen songs through out the movie brings the rating back up again, so I'll give it an 8/10.
                Sirjump Herendil you guys need to listen to Marc Martel sing if you haven't. He did some of the voice work for the film. He's incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Herendil View Post

I agree, 8/10 would be my score if I didn't ad the emotional impact. I choose to disregard the few factual errors so I can just enjoy the movie and the music =)

Comment

Great movie

KingElessar yes I agree Marc Martel is great

Last edited by Valar; 1st February 2019, 22:12.

Comment

The Kid Who Would be King 5/10
                      Started with an intro prologue that kinda reminded me a bit of LOTR Fellowship.
                      Then I saw the young star was Louis Serkis...what could go wrong?
                      Well sadly a lot.

Louis(Gollum Jr aka Alex the would be king) and his sidekick Dean Chaumoo (Bedders aka Sir Bedivere) were great. Acting was spot on and they had a believable friendship.
                      The other kids...meh. Good acting but blah roles.
                      Was charmed by Patrick Stewart but I'm biased as in my book he can do no wrong.
                      Young Merlin was fun and quirky.

It started out well but seemed to fall apart after the mid point.
                      First they set up what appears to be an entire world in turmoil. Why we would need a heroic king
                      I guess. But this goes nowhere by the end..why?
                      They had our young hero facing parental issues which derailed the adventure
                      and made the story a bit too serious. It got back on track but this was unnecessary.
                      Then it feels they noticed near the 3/4 mark that they had to tie up the story and rushed the ending.

Special effects were good but I feel the might be too much for very young children.
                      Would rate this a good matinee movie. Don't pay full price as you will be disappointed.

Comment

I am going to see Alita: Battle Angel on Friday. I have no idea what I am in for

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post
                          I am going to see Alita: Battle Angel on Friday. I have no idea what I am in for
                          Very much looking forward to your review Stig! May those around you be very quiet, and considerate!

Comment

They Shall Not Grow Old 10/10
                            Tonight I went to a showing of the Peter Jackson & the Imperial War Museum documentary "They Shall
                            Not Grow Old". What an amazing piece of filmmaking, simply outstanding.

PJ and the people at Park Road Post Productions have taken hundred year old archival film footage and with their technical magic made it look close to contemporary. What is normally jerky newsreels now appears fluid and graceful.
                            Not to mention the gentle touch of colorization adding a lifelike quality to the soldiers and landscape.
                            The audio commentary is from actual interviews conducted over 50 years ago with those that survived the battle of the Somme.

You feel you understand the soldiers rush to enlist and the numbing realization when they get to the front
                            that war is hell. The life of the troops in the trenches at the front is shown in all its detail. The good, the bad and the downright horrifying. They don't shy away from showing the horrors of war in all its colorized glory.
                            There comes a point when you suddenly remember that you are watching actual footage from war and not a reenactment. That the hundreds of young men at the front who you have seen smiling, chatting to the camera,
                            bumming cigarettes, only a few of them made it back. Those that did were forever changed by this war both physically and emotionally.

I went to the 3D showing and would recommend this format, it looks amazing.
                            Also stay after the credits to see the mini documentary on how they created this film.
                            The theater where I went was sold out and not one person left until the lights came up.
                            This is brilliant and powerful filmmaking.
                            Highly recommend.

https://youtu.be/IrabKK9Bhds
                            Last edited by Glassary; 7th February 2019, 14:35.

Comment

Glass

Saw it twice actually. I liked it.

Comment

A Star Is Born - Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. 8/10 - Wasn't sure what to think before watching but was blown away by the apparent "electricity" between the two actors. Cooper is excellent as usual but who would have thought Lady Gaga could act... Will be interesting to see how this goes in the Academy Awards.

Comment

Watched Alita: Battle Angel at the premiere Friday night. I think there were 50 people at the premiere in a theatre that holds 500.
                                  The CG (it's a lot of it) is cool and is mostly blending seamlessly with the rest. Actually, Jennifer Connolly's character was more difficult for me to enjoy as I couldn't unsee Demi Moore. The acting overall is so-so. Christophe Waltz are doing a splendid job, but both Rose Salazaar (Alita) and Keean Johnson (Hugo) was flat and uninteresant at times. Which isn't a good thing as those two probably got the most screen time.

The story is quite slow to begin with, which is a pleasant change from the speed we're used to a lot of movies nowadays (read: Marvel). And the backstory is slowly revealed bit by bit, but never quite fully. I hope this movie does well enough to give us a sequel as the story begs for it. The movie stands ok on it's own, but we got teased about a bigger backstory and I know I will feel cheated if we don't get anymore.

Alita: Battle Angel 6.5/10

Comment

Polar on netflix

1/10

fell for it because of Mads Mikkelsen but it's probably one of the worst movies ever made

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Book of Eastmarch View Post
                                      Polar on netflix

1/10

fell for it because of Mads Mikkelsen but it's probably one of the worst movies ever made
                                      Haha I have to agree, that was utter rubbish.

Comment

Glass, a great end to a brilliant Trilogy, love seeing Shyamalan back to his best, his first 3 films are among my favourites so can’t wait to see what he does next

Comment

Originally posted by Glassary View Post
                                          The Kid Who Would be King 5/10
                                          Started with an intro prologue that kinda reminded me a bit of LOTR Fellowship.
                                          Then I saw the young star was Louis Serkis...what could go wrong?
                                          Well sadly a lot.

Louis(Gollum Jr aka Alex the would be king) and his sidekick Dean Chaumoo (Bedders aka Sir Bedivere) were great. Acting was spot on and they had a believable friendship.
                                          The other kids...meh. Good acting but blah roles.
                                          Was charmed by Patrick Stewart but I'm biased as in my book he can do no wrong.
                                          Young Merlin was fun and quirky.

It started out well but seemed to fall apart after the mid point.
                                          First they set up what appears to be an entire world in turmoil. Why we would need a heroic king
                                          I guess. But this goes nowhere by the end..why?
                                          They had our young hero facing parental issues which derailed the adventure
                                          and made the story a bit too serious. It got back on track but this was unnecessary.
                                          Then it feels they noticed near the 3/4 mark that they had to tie up the story and rushed the ending.

Special effects were good but I feel the might be too much for very young children.
                                          Would rate this a good matinee movie. Don't pay full price as you will be disappointed.
                                          Thank you for taking the time to write a well thought out review. I have not seen this film so I cannot comment on it. I will comment about a flaw that you seemed to touch on that I have felt is inherent in these type of films.

I fully realize that these kid save the world films are market driven and are largely not designed to washed-up, over the hill seniors like myself. Got it loud and clear. But as somebody who taught kids for 33 years - I have always been struck that the same kids who cannot remember to bring their books to class or a pen with which to write are somehow equipped to save the earth from disaster be it in the form of evil or aliens or any other threat that the adults of the world are somehow mysteriously unable to handle despite all their tools at their disposal.

That basic flaw just makes these sort of films worse than implausible and tests the willing suspension of disbelief beyond its normal bounds.

Comment

Working...
                                          X