Rate the last movie you watched

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Last Jedi 1/10 worst movie I have seen in my 30 years of going to movie theatre

    PS: To purge myself from this dogshit I watched The Fellowship today and tomorrow I am gonna watch The Two Towers. I want to forget. Please god, just allow me to forget
    Last edited by Blue Book of Eastmarch; 17th December 2017, 12:47.

    Comment


    • Wow! Shocked at the reviews here on The Last Jedi. I guess I have very different tastes than the last few Flamer’s here because I found the film to be great! By comparison I found The Force Awakens enjoyable but wholly unoriginal with it’s recycling of many story beats from ANH and ROTJ. Anyways, here is my spoiler free mini-review of TLJ.

      Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 9/10

      A very satisfying cinematic experience all the way around. Unlike TFA this Episode takes the franchise in bold new directions. Plenty of twists and turns that’ll keep even the most devoted and informed fans on their toes. The stakes feel high and the scope is as epic, if not more so, than anything we’ve seen in the Saga to date. The narrative structure is surprisingly fresh as well as it breaks the established mold we’ve seen in the majority of SW films. The struggle between The Resistance and The Fist Order is fleshed out in a very satisfying manner and delivers what I feel is the best opening sequence to date in the entire Saga. While the direction the characters are taken might not be to everyone’s liking you can’t deny the development is solid and unlike anything we’ve seen before. This not only applies to the new players but Luke & Leia and even our comprehension of The Force and the abilities tied to it. The amount of ground and material covered in TLJ makes multiple viewings much more appealing than TFA. I’m really looking forward to seeing it again.



      For reference this is where I rated the last two SW entires...

      Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 7/10
      Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 9.5/10

      Comment


      • Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 6.5/10

        Packed with great moments that when put together amounted to a messy story. Abrams has his work cut out for him as episode 9 will have to redeem a lot.

        Comment


        • Watched a couple foreign films recently after a friend asked me to.

          We Are Family- 7/10

          Had to find English subtitles. It was a good movie, but probably means more to someone who has the mother instinct. It had some funny moments, but overall a more serious tone.

          Bajrangi Bhaijaan- 8.5/10

          Also had to find subtitles. I really liked this one. I found it to be quite humorous while telling a nice story. Definitely a lighter tone to this one.

          Comment


          • I really enjoyed Ep. 8 and so did the rest of the group of 7 I saw it with. Will maybe see it again during Christmas.
            next (new) movie in the theater for me will probably be Jumanji.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Stig View Post
              I really enjoyed Ep. 8 and so did the rest of the group of 7 I saw it with. Will maybe see it again during Christmas.
              next (new) movie in the theater for me will probably be Jumanji.
              Nice to see someone else enjoyed it besides me. Also saw it with 7 people and everyone enjoyed it. I was rather shocked to get online after and see all the geek rage because it wasn't exactly what they wanted. Guess there's no points for originality when it comes to Star Wars.

              Comment


              • Just watched Bright with Will Smith. Lots to compare to Lotr mythology and an enjoyable film, but it is a made for TV and not the big budget action flick it is being promoted as.

                6/10

                Comment


                • Also watched Bright 9/10. Absolutely wonderful!

                  It exactly delivers what the trailers promised. I loved that it simply tells its story, no over-explaining, no bullshit, unapologetic, just like in the good old 80s.
                  Well, it's a "made for TV" movie, but only by 2017 standards, which are quite high. Basically it's like a big budget movie minus the extra 100 million for the usual bullshit like: PGing, extra cgi-explosions, love-story, Chinese pop-icon in a supporting role, and script-overhaul by the marketing department. There were no stars, just Will Smith and a few orcs and elves .

                  The setting is more or less a cop movie in a Middle-Earth that progressed to our times. Elves are the upper class, humans middle class and the orcs the scum of society because of their apperance, slowness and because they had supported the "dark lord", before he was defeated 2000 years ago. The races are portrayed in the usual stereotypical ways, e.g. the elves are quick, lethal, and athletic like Legolas. The orcs are ponderous but robust, and bad at aiming. Mixed with the modern setting, this is still very entertaining. I really liked that the orcs were given their own qualities, like their heightened sense of smell and the ability to read human faces like an open book.

                  Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

                  Comment


                  • Bright 8/10

                    Comment


                    • I have not seen BRIGHT - hope to never see BRIGHT - but can those that have tell me how it is simply not a rip off of ALIEN NATION?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gideon View Post
                        I have not seen BRIGHT - hope to never see BRIGHT - but can those that have tell me how it is simply not a rip off of ALIEN NATION?
                        It's not about alien's trying to fit in on an alien planet for one and it's based on Middle Earth culture for another?


                        Watched 'Justice League' 8/10 . Enjoyed watching Supes taking them apart!
                        Last edited by Dave Mac; 31st December 2017, 05:05.

                        Comment


                        • Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BZTliN2IyMTctYTliOS00ZTJiLTkxN2YtNDg1YTJiZTA4MTVlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	99666

                          Chips 8/10
                          Surprisingly funny.


                          Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BMTcyNzk5NDg1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM5MDQxNDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	99667

                          Bright 7/10
                          Had potential to be much better, but Noomi Rapace has never looked sexier.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

                            It's not about alien's trying to fit in on an alien planet for one and it's based on Middle Earth culture for another?


                            Watched 'Justice League' 8/10 . Enjoyed watching Supes taking them apart!
                            A difference without a distinction it would seem.

                            How are these so called orcs just not the same as the aliens in ALIEN NATION.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gideon View Post

                              A difference without a distinction it would seem.

                              How are these so called orcs just not the same as the aliens in ALIEN NATION.
                              Orcs, being from the race of Orcs, belong on the planet in 'Bright', the Aliens in Alien Nation did not belong there, hence the general term 'Alien'. Still, everything gets rehashed at some point I suppose

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

                                Orcs, being from the race of Orcs, belong on the planet in 'Bright', the Aliens in Alien Nation did not belong there, hence the general term 'Alien'. Still, everything gets rehashed at some point I suppose
                                Thanks for your explanation. I have not seen the film - just the trailer and read about it and it seems to me they totally ripped off the basic premise of ALIEN NATION including the two buddy cops and the gangs and the setting. But I am glad you enjoyed it.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Hellboy View Post

                                  Nice to see someone else enjoyed it besides me. Also saw it with 7 people and everyone enjoyed it. I was rather shocked to get online after and see all the geek rage because it wasn't exactly what they wanted. Guess there's no points for originality when it comes to Star Wars.
                                  Sorry, but it has nothing to do with originality or geek rage on my part. I'm not a huge star wars fan but have enjoyed the previous 2 'new' films with my family. This one was one of THE most boring films I have EVER seen - nothing happened apart from a ridiculous 'chase' and several side plots that added practically nothing to the story. There was no suspense, I never felt anything for any of the (very poorly fleshed out) characters, I almost fell asleep at several points. In short, utter boredom - sorry 1/10 and thats only for the SPOILER scene near the end when the destroyer gets taken out

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Hellboy View Post

                                    Nice to see someone else enjoyed it besides me. Also saw it with 7 people and everyone enjoyed it. I was rather shocked to get online after and see all the geek rage because it wasn't exactly what they wanted. Guess there's no points for originality when it comes to Star Wars.
                                    I agree as I enjoyed it. There were some areas that could have been done differently but as a whole it worked for me.

                                    I like many was waiting for Luke to come out of retirement and just go all bad ass Jedi, but in reality a person that had the whole world ripped from him like he did would have reacted much like what was shown. He was always an emotional character so to see it affect him that way was not surprising. The way he died worked for me as well showing immense power and then piece at the end allowing himself to join the Force.

                                    The Rose and Finn part seemed a little forced, but I understand that there was intent to separate Rey so she can focus on being a Jedi. I would not have minded if they would have done away with this and kept Finn and Rey together some what.

                                    The ending for Snoke was a little disappointing but very fitting. Once the shield of intimidation was gone, much like the Emperor who was betrayed and quickly killed was vulnerable. He like many things in the Force misinterpreted what he was sensing. The battle that follows was nice. It does make you want to see the Emperor's guards fight in ROTJ.

                                    The views on this are so varying that there would not seem to be a perfect movie and maybe after a while it will be remembered better. I am looking forward to Abrams coming back.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Shadow King View Post

                                      The views on this are so varying that there would not seem to be a perfect movie and maybe after a while it will be remembered better. I am looking forward to Abrams coming back.
                                      I'm hoping that they will take notice of some of the feedback and not just write it all off as 'Fanboy rage'. That really annoys me.

                                      Criticising a film because you think it is poorly written and conceived is not the same as being angry because your favourite character got killed off or whatever.

                                      My main problems stem from it being obviously thrown together without much thought of what came before in the Force Awakens and with no real plan of what's going to happen in the next film. It has some of the laziest writing I have ever seen in any film. The treatment of Finn is appalling. He may as well have stayed in a coma! It wouldn't have affected the story at all. Rey doesn't really learn anything on the island with Luke. Poe is extremely unlikable - As is Laura Dern's Admiral character (I doubt that was their intent) with both of those characters making stupid and reckless decisions. And Leia flying through space was so awful - both as an idea and in the way it was executed - I am shocked it was in the final film. I think it's fair to expect slightly better quality from a multibillion dollar film studio and creative team... After all, these are the same people who gave us Rogue One - Which in my opinion was a fantastic film. Probably my favourite SW film... So I have no problem with Disney being in charge.

                                      What really baffles me is why professional critics raved about it as if it was a masterpiece... I truly don't understand that at all. I can understand that a lot of people enjoy it for what it is and can see past the sloppy writing and enjoy the set pieces and the humour. That's fine. But these are the same critics that tear other films to pieces for making the same mistakes, but because it's Star Wars they suddenly can't see those problems?! And it wasn't just a few it was the majority. I think history will look back on this film in a negative light. But obviously I would think that

                                      Comment


                                      • Since when has Star Wars had an in depth story line? It's always been about the visuals!

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
                                          Wow! Shocked at the reviews here on The Last Jedi. I guess I have very different tastes than the last few Flamer’s here because I found the film to be great! By comparison I found The Force Awakens enjoyable but wholly unoriginal with it’s recycling of many story beats from ANH and ROTJ. Anyways, here is my spoiler free mini-review of TLJ.

                                          Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 9/10

                                          A very satisfying cinematic experience all the way around. Unlike TFA this Episode takes the franchise in bold new directions. Plenty of twists and turns that’ll keep even the most devoted and informed fans on their toes. The stakes feel high and the scope is as epic, if not more so, than anything we’ve seen in the Saga to date. The narrative structure is surprisingly fresh as well as it breaks the established mold we’ve seen in the majority of SW films. The struggle between The Resistance and The Fist Order is fleshed out in a very satisfying manner and delivers what I feel is the best opening sequence to date in the entire Saga. While the direction the characters are taken might not be to everyone’s liking you can’t deny the development is solid and unlike anything we’ve seen before. This not only applies to the new players but Luke & Leia and even our comprehension of The Force and the abilities tied to it. The amount of ground and material covered in TLJ makes multiple viewings much more appealing than TFA. I’m really looking forward to seeing it again.

                                          Originally posted by Shadow King View Post

                                          I agree as I enjoyed it. There were some areas that could have been done differently but as a whole it worked for me.

                                          I like many was waiting for Luke to come out of retirement and just go all bad ass Jedi, but in reality a person that had the whole world ripped from him like he did would have reacted much like what was shown. He was always an emotional character so to see it affect him that way was not surprising. The way he died worked for me as well showing immense power and then piece at the end allowing himself to join the Force.

                                          The Rose and Finn part seemed a little forced, but I understand that there was intent to separate Rey so she can focus on being a Jedi. I would not have minded if they would have done away with this and kept Finn and Rey together some what.

                                          The ending for Snoke was a little disappointing but very fitting. Once the shield of intimidation was gone, much like the Emperor who was betrayed and quickly killed was vulnerable. He like many things in the Force misinterpreted what he was sensing. The battle that follows was nice. It does make you want to see the Emperor's guards fight in ROTJ.

                                          The views on this are so varying that there would not seem to be a perfect movie and maybe after a while it will be remembered better. I am looking forward to Abrams coming back.
                                          Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 8.5/10

                                          It seems we have seen the same movie.

                                          For me the writing was the best ever, in a SW movie, period.

                                          The way it made impossible for this trilogy to have the same structure as previous is simply genius.

                                          IMHO because SW movies have had such a rigid structure, with good guys v bad guys with a death star being blown in the end, it made almost impossible for this movie not to struggle a bit with its expected pace.

                                          The fact that we have had plots and subplots in TLJ that actually failed in their purpose is great for the future films. Now we are ready for some to work without the spectator immediately thinking "now we are going to get this, and after this they are saved and in the end we just blow the death star again".

                                          I love the original trilogy for the time it was written and it will always be the foundation for the entire SW universe. That said, the writing formula/style is not one that IMO should be replicated at all.

                                          May the force be with you always.
                                          Last edited by efraga; 6th January 2018, 00:33.
                                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_2461_1464480061019_36[/ATTACH]

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X