Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like that they didn't leave the facades all beaten down cause that just looks very sad and doesn't transpire the "happy buzzy feeling" Hobbiton is supposed to give. But I wish they had kept them more screen-accurate.

Comment

• Of Middle-earth: From Script to Screen: Bombshell-Pages

By now we are thinking that many of you have purchased Daniel's latest book: "Middle-earth: From Script to Screen". Some of you may already have perused the book from the opening title page to the 'credits' page. While others have not had that much time and have 'thumbed' through the pages, just waiting for the day they have the time to properly enjoy all that Daniel's book has to offer. Which ever it maybe, we are sure that you have very much enjoyed the time you have spent immersed in Middle-earth: From Script to Screen.

What we wonder is how many of you have spent any time at all on the 'endpapers' behind the cover and the back? We will not admit to the amount of time we have spent, and we are sure will continue to spend.

LSB received his book long before I received mine, as it seems the rest of the world received their shipment of books long before Canada (it’s not fair, precious!). When LSB informed me what Daniel had placed on these 4 pages, I thought that he was only joking, and trying to make my wait for the book that much more excruciatingly painful, nasty hobitsee he can be at times (Who? Me? No, no! Not us, precious! ). This however was not the case, as LSB sent me proof. I was ready to hop on the next flight to New Zealand take Daniel out for supper and thank him in person for including such sought after info and purchase a book while I was there of course. As this would take way too long, I sent him an email instead, even knowing that I would never be able to convey the gratitude I felt. I received Daniel's reply and guess what: attached to this reply was the complete and 'whole' picture of what he had divided up and used on these four pages! There were no words in the world that would be able to explain the magnitude of emotions I felt, and am still feeling.

Emails between LSB and myself became numerous and never ending. We both put much of our 'lives on hold' and immersed ourselves in Hobbiton once again. We felt like Frodo and Sam - no, I mean: Sam and Rosie… Hmm, what? Alright then, Aragorn and Rosie, watching the Black Gate open…

To be continued ...

*Please note; Daniel has approved us sharing this info with the members on the forum.

Comment

• The book is on the list to get. it Looks great! Curious to know whats on those pages.

Comment

• Noooooo! Teasers! We hates those my precious, we do!

I hope you can put me out of my misery soon

Comment

• Haha, I saw a little of what Min has in store for us. Can't wait to see your post on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Underhill View Post
              The book is on the list to get. it Looks great! Curious to know whats on those pages.
              It is a great book Mr. Underhill. I'm sure you are going to love it once you do get it.

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
              Noooooo! Teasers! We hates those my precious, we do!
              But we loves them, don't we precious.

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
              I hope you can put me out of my misery soon
              I think we can do that ....

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
              Haha, I saw a little of what Min has in store for us. Can't wait to see your post on it.

Comment

• Of the GENESIS-Map (Holy Moly!)

It took us less than a jiffy to spot the Arkenstone that Daniel had so cleverly hidden in his book Middle-earth: from Script to Screen (he must be an equally lousy Easter-egg concealer ). Because there it was, hitting us like a bombshell after lifting the 0.5 lb cover: the GENESIS map of Hobbiton!

The map that shows the original numbering of Hobbiton during the time of LotR!! For over 5 years LSB and I have tried to figure out just what the original numbering of Hobbiton was, and LSB for much longer than that. There it was, on the inside of the front cover and opposite page of this book. We could not believe our eyes.
                “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for more than 17 and a half years, the map passed out of all knowledge.” But there was one who found it, and deemed it to be time to blow the dust from it.
                When we sobbed out our gratitude to Daniel, he kindly sent us a copy of the map – which was not only more complete than the picture in the book, but more readable as well. Now the time has come to pass it on. You have all so kindly taken 'our' tour through Hobbiton and have 'listened too' and commented on our many hypotheses of the original numbering of Hobbiton, as expounded in various articles in this thread.

Daniel has graciously allowed us to share the 'Genesis' map with all of you, So here it is:

One thing we need to mention about this Genesis map is that for whatever reason #13 was left off this map, we have good reason to think that this was just an oversight.

Now, undoubtedly, many of you are wondering, as we did, just how this compares to our own thoughts. Allow us to spend a few more words on the matter:

Our first mistake came at #17, thinking it had been following #16 on the east side of the west Great Smail, instead of starting off the numbering on the east Great Smial.

Nice to know that we got all but this on the Great Smials area correct, including the idea that there were to be two Great Smials that got 'pushed together' to become a single mound.
                You will also notice that numbers 27 and 28 were to be inserted along the north east bank of Bywater lake before numbers 29 - 34. Where as we have them shown where numbers 1, 2 and 3 Bagshot row are. Our hypothesis at that time was that numbers 17 and 27 smials had become part of Bagshot row, as hobbit holes would not just disappear surely? But they must have.

The Genesis map shows 'C', 'B', 'A' representing #1, #2 and #3 Bagshot row - yes in that order! Can this reversal have caused the confusion that lead to Weta’s mixing up the numbers of 1 and 3 for Samwise Gamgee’s smial? (Yes another hypothesis on our part, habits are hard to break after all.)

We had located #35’s original plot at the Swamp Flats because we assumed that #28 had taken its place. The Genesis map however shows that this hole was initially situated on the east side of the Bagshot Row path, just beyond #34.

We figured that the Genesis map was incomplete as there was no #37 at the top and to the east of Bag End like we have on ours. Much to our surprise, we found out that there were no numbers beyond #36. Not in the beginning, that is.

Comment

• I've been reading Weta's script to screen book today and it may have been mentioned here, well I'm sure of it, but y'know, there's a lot of previous posts to wade through! Anyway, it says there are 40 LOTR Hobbit holes and 4 made for The Hobbit, so 44 overall, so is there a good change Weta will make all 44 for us? And if so we have now what, around 10?

Comment

• Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                    I've been reading Weta's script to screen book today and it may have been mentioned here, well I'm sure of it, but y'know, there's a lot of previous posts to wade through! Anyway, it says there are 40 LOTR Hobbit holes and 4 made for The Hobbit, so 44 overall, so is there a good change Weta will make all 44 for us? And if so we have now what, around 10?
                    There were 40 holes made at the time of LotR, if you count 19 and 20 as 2 holes and 24 west and 24 east as 1 hole. There were actually 5 new holes made for The Hobbit. One of the LotR smials never returned at the time of the Hobbit.

Now what was your question ... oh right ... yes, Weta has created 10 Hobbiton smials for us so far, 19 and 20 are counted as 2. Will they make all 44?? Now that is a very good question. Scriff at one time stated that some of the more complicated smials in the 'Overhill' subdivision would require 2 moulds making the smials much more expensive, so if any are not created I can see it being #28 and #39. As for the other 32 hobbit holes, as long as they keep selling, I really can't see Weta not continuing with this line. Of course that is just my guess and most likely wishful thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post
                      Of the GENESIS-Map (Holy Moly!)

One thing we need to mention about this Genesis map is that for whatever reason #13 was left off this map, we have good reason to think that this was just an oversight.
                      Everyone knows that the #13 is an unlucky number so that's why they left it off the map.

I too was really surprised when I saw this on the inside the cover of Daniels book. It's really great that he sent a copy of the complete map to you to drool over.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Minuialwen;n113124]Of the GENESIS-Map (Holy Moly!)

“And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for more than 17 and a half years, the map passed out of all knowledge.” But there was one who found it, and deemed it to be time to blow the dust from it.

I really like how you said that. So glad he did. It is very interesting to see what the original numbering in Hobbiton was during LOTR! Very nice of Daniel to send you this and to be able to put it on here to share. Thanks Min!!

Comment

• I can't believe I hardly looked at the end-papers. I HAVE NOW! The last end-paper has a plan drawing of the Bag end facade, showing the locations of windows for (from left to right) the study, bedroom, parlour, kitchen, front door ("centre of Bag End front door"), and another window I can't read due to the foxing and grain of the page - possibly "orphan window."

There are also references to engineering drawings: "for foundation see engineering dwg #3400" is next to the (guessing) Tree foundation, and hard-stand locations for cranes. (Camera cranes? they seem to be in the right spot.)

Tricksey Daniel. Very tricksey.
                          Mild mannered maniac.

Comment

• What a wonderfull thing to behold. I clearly need to spend some time with this wee tome. And who ever misplaced this shouldn't be allowed any elevensies for a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Everyone knows that the #13 is an unlucky number so that's why they left it off the map.

I too was really surprised when I saw this on the inside the cover of Daniels book. It's really great that he sent a copy of the complete map to you to drool over.
                              LOL Ithildin, LSB and I started coming up with a number of hypotheses for #13 to have wandered off, but that was not one of them.

I was like Celeborn himself bestowing upon us our own special 'Light of Earendil', that show us the original way of Hobbiton, when all seemed lost and dark to us.,

[QUOTE=Mr. Underhill;n113206]
                              Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post
                              Of the GENESIS-Map (Holy Moly!)

I really like how you said that. So glad he did. It is very interesting to see what the original numbering in Hobbiton was during LOTR! Very nice of Daniel to send you this and to be able to put it on here to share. Thanks Min!!
                              Thank you Mr. Underhill. We try to place in Middle-earth quotes, often with our own twist, when we can.

Yes it was extremely nice of Daniel, and we were thrilled when he informed us that we could share it with all those that have been reading this thread.

Originally posted by Den View Post
                              I can't believe I hardly looked at the end-papers. I HAVE NOW! The last end-paper has a plan drawing of the Bag end facade, showing the locations of windows for (from left to right) the study, bedroom, parlour, kitchen, front door ("centre of Bag End front door"), and another window I can't read due to the foxing and grain of the page - possibly "orphan window."

There are also references to engineering drawings: "for foundation see engineering dwg #3400" is next to the (guessing) Tree foundation, and hard-stand locations for cranes. (Camera cranes? they seem to be in the right spot.)

Tricksey Daniel. Very tricksey.
                              "... hardly looked at the end-papers."

I have hardly looked at any thing other than these papers, in that tome of a book.

Den, you should go back and recheck the the last end-papers plan drawing of Beg End facade. As the windows go, from left to right; study, bedroom, dining room, kitchen, parlour, front door ..., and then the other window, like you I think it states 'orphan window' but I am not sure. This would make sense as Frodo was an orphan that Bilbo took in, and we are thinking this is most likely Frodo's bedroom.

There is huge amounts of information on these pages for Hobbiton lovers!!

Yes Daniel is very tricksey, but that he added all this extra is just mind blowing!

Edit: Vicksken posted while I was working on mine.

Yes Vicksken, as lover of Hobbiton and all things Middle-earth, you really do need to spent some time with Middle-earth: from Script to Screen.
                              Last edited by Minuialwen; 28th March 2018, 08:13. Reason: Vicksken posted ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post
                                "... hardly looked at the end-papers."
                                I know. I got stuck into the glossy pages asap and never came up for air.

... As the windows go, from left to right; study, bedroom, dining room, kitchen, parlour, front door ..., and then the other window, like you I think it states 'orphan window' but I am not sure. This would make sense as Frodo was an orphan that Bilbo took in, and we are thinking this is most likely Frodo's bedroom.
                                Blast, I missed the dining room!

I think "orphan window" is more an engineering term for the construction team, in that it is a window not actually connected to a room and is only there to let light into a hypothetical hallway. It's just a window to complete the facade.

I think if it were Frodo's room it would have been listed as such, since Frodo is a big part of LOTR.

Of course, there is one person who can answer these questions for us. Isn't there... Daniel?

On Daniel Reeve's prop replica plan of Bag End, the bedroom and study are reversed, so the window order goes [Guest Room, Back Door,] (not on the original facade plan) Bedroom, Study, Dining Room, Kitchen, Parlour, Entrance Hall, Spare Room. This "spare room" matches the orphan window on the facade plan.

There is huge amounts of information on these pages for Hobbiton lovers!!

Yes Daniel is very tricksey, but that he added all this extra is just mind blowing!

Seriously
                                Last edited by Den; 28th March 2018, 20:28.
                                Mild mannered maniac.

Comment

• The wee #5 beauty arrived and it's cuuuuute! Sadly it has to remain packed till we're done changing the room

But anyway: thank you so very much Min and Weta!

Some day this will have a prime spot on my shelf with the memories of plywood facades attached to it

Comment

• So very glad yours has arrived Vicksken! Really glad you like it. Thanks again for partaking in 'find the differences'.

Not sure if you know this or not, but a preliminary 'blue print' for #11 LotR era, the hobbit hole that you were looking for differences in between the 2 white plywood eras is on the inside of the front cover of Middle-earth: from Script to Screen.

Comment

• A friend of mine went to Hobbiton 2 weeks ago and just recently shared some of their Hobbiton photos with me. They have kindly allowed me to share a few of them with you.

For those of you who have been to Hobbiton you most likely remember the first sign you see as you step off the bus and before heading to Gandalf's Cutting:

That sign has been replaced by:

Which in many ways makes sense as Hobbiton is more than just Bag End after all.

The lovely green door of #7 has been repainted and is now a yellow door:

#40 right above #7 and can be seen in the above picture has gone back to being a red door once again. At is hard to see #40 in the above picture, here is a better picture of #40 and its red door:

It seems like Hobbiton Tours has added a new lantern to light ones way on the night tours:

This is my favorite lantern in Hobbiton now.

It is 'rumoured' that the gardeners have a pumpkin growing competition going on at the moment, well have had since pumpkins started to grow. I've heard that is is a fun time to visit Hobbiton as there are large orange pumpkins in all the main gardens. Makes for a very colourful sight.
                                      Main Garden:

Frog Pond looking towards Woody End

Frog pond with the yellow door of #13 seen on the left side of the picture.

The sunflowers are doing very well from the looks of it as well:

Seen above #35.

Comment

• Just got caught up with the thread. Damm a busy life!

what a major event I missed in the finding of the genesis map. Thanks to Daniel and thanks Dawn for sharing

i so wish I had visited Hobbiton in the early naughties.

Great work Dawn and LSB. The info you have discovered is amazing.

Comment

• Do those pictures make me wanne go to New Zealand?
                                          No need to reply that, right?

Please thank your friend for us Min. They are absolutely wonderfull.

Comment

Working...
                                          X