Hobbiton Chronicles: Frankensteining in Hobbiton ...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some awesome pics there Min, thanks so much for sharing!!!

Comment

• Nice to see more photos of Hobbiton. I like some of the changes such as the new sign and the lantern. I wish that they would leave the door colors alone though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
        Nice to see more photos of Hobbiton. I like some of the changes such as the new sign and the lantern. I wish that they would leave the door colors alone though.
        I couldn't agree more. There's just no good reason to change colours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post
          Of the GENESIS-Map (Holy Moly!)

It took us less than a jiffy to spot the Arkenstone that Daniel had so cleverly hidden in his book Middle-earth: from Script to Screen (he must be an equally lousy Easter-egg concealer ). Because there it was, hitting us like a bombshell after lifting the 0.5 lb cover: the GENESIS map of Hobbiton!

The map that shows the original numbering of Hobbiton during the time of LotR!! For over 5 years LSB and I have tried to figure out just what the original numbering of Hobbiton was, and LSB for much longer than that. There it was, on the inside of the front cover and opposite page of this book. We could not believe our eyes.
          “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for more than 17 and a half years, the map passed out of all knowledge.” But there was one who found it, and deemed it to be time to blow the dust from it.
          When we sobbed out our gratitude to Daniel, he kindly sent us a copy of the map – which was not only more complete than the picture in the book, but more readable as well. Now the time has come to pass it on. You have all so kindly taken 'our' tour through Hobbiton and have 'listened too' and commented on our many hypotheses of the original numbering of Hobbiton, as expounded in various articles in this thread.

Daniel has graciously allowed us to share the 'Genesis' map with all of you, So here it is:

One thing we need to mention about this Genesis map is that for whatever reason #13 was left off this map, we have good reason to think that this was just an oversight.
          Minuialwen Talk about cool information! This is amazing that Daniel shared this information and then allowed it to be passed along! About halfway through reading From Script to Screen myself and I can't wait to make my way to this gem of a map! There is always cool stuff coming out of Weta and it's great they take the time to make outstanding products that allow us a peak behind the process of making these 6 ME films!

Comment

• Racquet10s If you have gotten to page 1 in the book, you have already passed the Genesis map. As it is inside the front cover, parts of it are on the top right corner, and along the sides of this spread.

Comment

• Minuialwen Well shoot, I guess I was so excited to dive into the depths of the book I didn't pay much attention to it! Just looked back and behold, there it is! Thanks for correcting my oversight! The details in this book are so amazing that it's hard not to slow down. Plus, the bonus prop replica set dressings were a nice touch. Everything is so stylized that even the book itself fits into the world of ME!

Comment

• I have yet to get past the Shire section.

Comment

• Me too Min! I'm on the Eastfarthing right now. I did have to finish The book of Dust first though which I got for my birthday in November. Plus I'm a slow reader! I'm distracted too easily.

Comment

• You can spend so much time on each pace dissecting every picture/paragraph!! So much info! It's also nice they intermingled LOTR information with events from the Hobbit. So instead of just LOTR stuff then things from the Hobbit, everything is put together in a way that allows us to dive into the creative world based on a linear approach. It's also great that there are new/different information in Script to Screen than what is in The Hobbit Chronicles. More details makes for an even better time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Racquet10s View Post
                      You can spend so much time on each pace dissecting every picture/paragraph!! So much info! It's also nice they intermingled LOTR information with events from the Hobbit. So instead of just LOTR stuff then things from the Hobbit, everything is put together in a way that allows us to dive into the creative world based on a linear approach. It's also great that there are new/different information in Script to Screen than what is in The Hobbit Chronicles. More details makes for an even better time!
                      You are 100% correct with all you have stated. Love how Daniel has put all the Shire info together. It flows so well. As you have stated not all that is in Script to Screen has been placed anywhere else, at least not that LSB or myself have found. A very delightful read indeed.

Comment

• It is long past time that LSB and I discuss with you one of our 'other' theories. A theory that received a boost recently thanks to Daniel's placing of wonderful tidbits.

Allright. If we want you to understand what, according to us, might have happened back in 1999, we'll first have to prove to you that Dan Hennah, Grant Major and 3Foot6 exactly built what was drawn by Alan Lee and John Howe: nothing more, but more important, NOTHING LESS. Once you get that picture (or more precise 'those many pictures' LOL ), you will see, like we did, that there were actually some hobbit-hole-parts that were TAKEN from the holes they belonged to! "What happened to those parts?" Will be your immediate question! Hopefully we're able to come up with a few more of our brilliant hypotheses...

Whatever, it's going to be a long, long, loooong story. We will give you three holes at the time, to minimize the risk of yours truly going to mix up things and become confused.

Your tour will be in numerical order, as we now have proof that in the beginning Hobbiton smials were to have been in a nice orderly numerical fashion.

We have found 15 Alan Lee concept drawings of 'created' hobbit holes.
                        We are hoping that you will use your 'comparison' skills, that we helped you to hone while comparing the two white plywood eras of #11, while looking at Alan Lee's conceptual drawing and that of the actual hobbit hole. As none of Alan Lee's drawings are in colour, we felt it did not matter as to which era the 'real' hobbit hole came from. Our main focus was on finding a picture that showed the structure of the entire smial, as it is this that we would like you to compare.

Enough talk, shall we start our comparisons?

Hobbit Trilogy (refurbished) era
                        Sections are identical.

Great one to start with, as you can see just how closely 3foot6/7 came to copying AL's drawing, all the way down to the which part is plastered and where brick goes.

However their is a slight difference if 3foot6/7 were copying from the lower door picture. Can any of you spot the difference?

Once again the sections are identical. None added, none missing

Picture found in Script to Screen

My picture from 2015

The main sections we 'think' are the same, it is hard to tell if AL's drawing has the far left section, due to the curve of the smial and the angle in which the drawing has been done.

There are a few 'minor' changes, more so by far than the first 2 smials we showed you.

Can you find them?

(and thus my 5000 post has now occurred. Three years to the day, from when I was accepted on to this wonderful forum.)

Comment

• What a great post for your 5000th Min!!!

I'll be looking at these images very closely and list what I see has changed but right off the bat, the roof line has changed and the posts on either side of the door are missing. The door is lower in the actual hole and the leading in the round window is a different design. More to come!

Comment

• You are really getting the hang of this Ithildin.
                            Very good, most impressed. One must not forget the pinnacle that was added to the 'actual' #7 smial.

Here are the next 3:

Photo taken early 2017, it shows most of the right side, but bush is hiding the left side.

Picture was taken in late 2012 or early to mid 2013.
                            This is the left side of #10, and allows you to see section that is also seen in Alan Lee's concept drawing.

There are a couple of smaller changes between the drawing and the actual smial.
                            The main roof beam is wider and the smaller arched beam, closest to the door, on top is either missing or hidden.
                            Window sizes and location also seem to be slightly altered.

As far as sections go, they are the same.

Hobbit trilogy era; ; note that there is no 'cubby' hole in the left wall, like in AL's drawing.

This picture from LotR era, shows that the 'cubby' hole was part of the smial during this era.
                            You may have also noticed that there is more room between the left window and the more rectangular shaped door during the LotR era, which is also closer to AL's concept drawing.
                            Proof that small changes did actually occur between the two eras.

We would love to know if the right hand window during the LotR era, was more like that of AL's drawing

Screen shot from LotR: FotR

What are the main differences between the concept drawing and the 'real' #12 Hobbit hole. One of which just may be brought up again.

Comment

• Comparing holes again

Before I start guessing, great posts. As usual

As for number 12 the wee window is different: it lost its bars and it looks rounder and smaller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicksken View Post
                                Comparing holes again

Before I start guessing, great posts. As usual

As for number 12 the wee window is different: it lost its bars and it looks rounder and smaller.
                                If I am understanding you correctly, then the 'wee window' is in front of the hobbit? If so, it is actually the entire wall/door that is missing. This piece here:

Hard to tell since the Hobbit is in the way. Very good Vicksken.

Next 3:

#19, this time showing the 'window' in the wall perpendicular to the 'half door' wall

Alan Lee's Concept work, I placed it here between !9 and 20, hoping to make it easier for you to compare both 19 and 20 to AL's drawing

Everything is nice and similar. Although it is hard tell if there is a 'wood cubby hole' or not in AL's drawing due to the sloping roof.
                                Wonder if the upper hill windows had been built and these are what were used for 2 of the hill side windows.

Once again the right side is hard to make a positive statement about, but as far as we can tell all the sections are the same.

There are a few minor differences in #21, wonder if any one can spot them?

Comment

• Another great post Min. The door on AL drawing is flat on the bottom and there is no door knob. The widow shutter is missing on the actual hole. The roof beam extends farther to the left than in AL's drawing and the beam over the window is straight instead of curved like in the drawing.

Comment

• Min .
                                    The Red Room
                                    https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/co...7-the-red-room

Comment

• Outstanding once again Ithildin!!

Found in Script to Screen

Right side has been 'lightened up' a fair amount so that once can see the smial better.

Better look at the left side:

Even though the right side of the facade is hidden by bush, we feel that all the sections of this facade are the same as AL's concept drawing.
                                      Yes there are some minor changes, such as the brick work under the left window going in a diagonal, instead of horizontal as in AL's drawing.

For once an easy one to say that they are very similar. The largest change is the amount of wall between the door and the chimney.

Due to the angles of the walls, to properly see all sections we need to supply you with two pictures.

Left side 'zoomed' in so that you can see the 'walls' better for comparison.

Center and right side. Hobbit trilogy

The section on the right side, closest to the door, show that it was to have been a large 'cubby' hole. As you can see, this section in the facade is the same size and shape but is a wall. Did PJ ask for this to be closed in, like he had done for the smaller 'cubby' in the wall of #11? Due to all else being the same we will not add this one to our list of 'extra sections'.

Comment

• you are on fire, Min

Comment

• I'm really enjoying these new posts Min! Well done.

Comment

Working...
                                          X