Lotr and hobbit trilogies on 4k blu ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the new Blu-ray release included in either of these sets gets rid of the green tint, that'll be a major bonus. Until all the details are released though, I'm still not seeing any reason to get the early 4k set other than it being a bit cheaper. The steelcases do nothing for me as that's just packaging that sits on a shelf and barely gets noticed again. As for extras, I've seen more than enough, and I'm holding out for the deleted scenes which the Ultimate set surely has to include - plus there's sure to be a collectible of some sort. Ergo, I wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Sounds good, thanks!

Haha, ya that's kind of where I'm at. I have a 7 year old 55" Samsung 1080p TV, it works perfectly and the picture is beautiful. So it's hard for me to justify moving up to a new 4K right now. Most likely I'll be looking in another 2-3 years but when I do I'll be going 75-80" 4K.
      Just wait untill you experience 4k with HDR on a 55 inch or bigger, especially OLED Used to think our 1080p TV looked gorgeous untill we decided to get a 55 inch OLED. Difference of night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post

Just wait untill you experience 4k with HDR on a 55 inch or bigger, especially OLED Used to think our 1080p TV looked gorgeous untill we decided to get a 55 inch OLED. Difference of night and day.
        Haha, I'm sure you are right. That's why I have deliberately not gone to the store to look at them. Can't miss what you don't know about.

Comment

I really want this set. Was hoping to have a 4K binge this Chrismas, but I might just hold out for the Ultimate Edition coming next summer. For that price I will not double dip.

Comment

Thanks for that comparison hbw60 , its really interesting to see them side by side. I didn't notice while watching the blu-rays, but wonder if I'll be able to watch them again without it being glaring now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dipling View Post
              I hope they extend the EE versions of the Hobbit with good character moments, that were deleted. Like Gandalf Thranduil gems speach. Probably small to no chances.

Okay, hadn't seen that before.... great addition, why would they delete that? Do you know where to find any others?

Cheers

CT

Comment

I really hate these news!!!!

Now I need to buy a new TV, a new projector and a new blue-ray player by summer :-(

/ Best regards Fredrik

Comment

I am projecting on a 21:9 125" screen with the fake 4K Epson 5050UB projector with memory lens so that I can also watch my 16:9 content. I watch the HD Extended version movies on Amazon Prime. I dislike changing discs so I do hope for a full digital option thru a streaming service.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
                    I am projecting on a 21:9 125" screen with the fake 4K Epson 5050UB projector with memory lens so that I can also watch my 16:9 content. I watch the HD Extended version movies on Amazon Prime. I dislike changing discs so I do hope for a full digital option thru a streaming service.
                    Size matters!

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Size matters!
                      oh yeah, that's the biggest i could go being 10ft away. More than that you start to turn your head during the movie lol. But that is the nice about projectors, you get it before you choose the screen, project the biggest screen size you feel comfortable on hanging sheets, get approval from wife and then order the screen. Kids love it, it helped me a lot during the summer vacations locked with them. I hope I can finish the cinema in the coming months to display my collection in the adjacent room with props everywhere.

Back to 4K are we sure they will release a special edition next year with the 6 movies?

Comment

If the sales of this year's release go well, I guess they will go forward with the ultra edition too

Comment

Well I'm extra gullible I guess. So I pre-ordered the 4k steelbook sets because I've been waiting for remastered LOTR in 4k since I got this tv. And I will almost certainly get whatever ultimate edition comes out if it's got new extras.

Here's where I'm really bad though. I got the wooden shelf set on amazon for prime day for $99-20 in credit, so for a grand total of $80. For those of you that got that set, did I make a huge mistake since I already have the Blu Rays and just ordered the 4k set? Or are the extras worth it? Also did it really first retail for $800?! I remember it being too expensive for me so I passed, but I thought it was too expensive at $400 which is what amazon lists the original retail prices as. Did they reduce the retail cost by half at some point??

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post
                            If the sales of this year's release go well, I guess they will go forward with the ultra edition too
                            What reason would they have not to release it? Nothing I read in the announcement indicated the release of the latter set was contingent upon the sale of the early one. In fact, that would be counter-intutive as a lot of people, myself included, will opt to wait for the second set. If anything, sales of the 2020 set will be impacted by the prospect of the 2021 set, not the other way around as buyers tend to want the more complete set if they already know it's coming. Makes no sense to anounce it and then not follow through, although anything can happen.

Comment

Delete or put a link, please, if there is one already. I couldn't find it.

Is anyone getting the LOTR 4K? I was going to hold out but the box set with the ring was too good to pass up. I may cancel but wanted to reserve it just in case.

I wonder what the big set is going to be like in the summer? I'm hoping for the elusive "unicorn" edition but pipe dream. LOL

Comment

The upcoming 4K release is making me think of picking up a nice 4K laser projector. It’s been awhile since I’ve owned a projector and I miss the bigger screen. I’ve got an 85 inch 4K tv which is nice but it’d be nice to have a 120+ inch screen instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
                                  The upcoming 4K release is making me think of picking up a nice 4K laser projector. It’s been awhile since I’ve owned a projector and I miss the bigger screen. I’ve got an 85 inch 4K tv which is nice but it’d be nice to have a 120+ inch screen instead.
                                  I like the way you think!

Comment

Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post
                                    Well I'm extra gullible I guess. So I pre-ordered the 4k steelbook sets because I've been waiting for remastered LOTR in 4k since I got this tv. And I will almost certainly get whatever ultimate edition comes out if it's got new extras.

Here's where I'm really bad though. I got the wooden shelf set on amazon for prime day for $99-20 in credit, so for a grand total of $80. For those of you that got that set, did I make a huge mistake since I already have the Blu Rays and just ordered the 4k set? Or are the extras worth it? Also did it really first retail for $800?! I remember it being too expensive for me so I passed, but I thought it was too expensive at $400 which is what amazon lists the original retail prices as. Did they reduce the retail cost by half at some point??
                                    Sorry for the really late reply here. But here's my opinion on the wooden shelf.

First off, it really did retail for $800, which was massively controversial. And that's because there is no new material on the discs. If you already own the Blu-Ray sets, you're not getting anything but the shelf. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually selling it for $800. It's always had a selling price of about $400 or less.

I think you were smart to get the set for $99, which is the cheapest I've ever seen it by far. Even if you already have the discs, the set it worth far more than that. So it's a great deal.

Personally, I'm not really fond of the shelf/cases, because they're so large and heavy. I have limited space in my apartment, and while the set is gorgeous, it just wasn't enough to justify the price. And over time, the fake leather of the "books" will crack and flake away. The one piece I absolutely loved is the book. The art in that book is really nice, and I wanted that. So I ended up patiently waiting until I could find the set for $200 (when the average price was $300 or more). Then, I kept the book, and sold the rest of the set for $250. So I ended up getting the book free.

If you ever decide it was a bad purchase, I think the set will always be worth $200+, for people who want every edition. So it was a good purchase. If you ever regret it, you can always turn it into a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by hbw60 View Post

Sorry for the really late reply here. But here's my opinion on the wooden shelf.

First off, it really did retail for $800, which was massively controversial. And that's because there is no new material on the discs. If you already own the Blu-Ray sets, you're not getting anything but the shelf. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually selling it for $800. It's always had a selling price of about $400 or less.

I think you were smart to get the set for $99, which is the cheapest I've ever seen it by far. Even if you already have the discs, the set it worth far more than that. So it's a great deal.

Personally, I'm not really fond of the shelf/cases, because they're so large and heavy. I have limited space in my apartment, and while the set is gorgeous, it just wasn't enough to justify the price. And over time, the fake leather of the "books" will crack and flake away. The one piece I absolutely loved is the book. The art in that book is really nice, and I wanted that. So I ended up patiently waiting until I could find the set for $200 (when the average price was $300 or more). Then, I kept the book, and sold the rest of the set for $250. So I ended up getting the book free.

If you ever decide it was a bad purchase, I think the set will always be worth $200+, for people who want every edition. So it was a good purchase. If you ever regret it, you can always turn it into a profit.
                                      Hey thanks for the response man, never too late. I completely agree on all points made, and the art book is far and away the best part of the set. I'd have paid $99 just for that. My biggest complaint on the shelf is that the windows aren't even see through!!! They put a backing on it so you can't see through them (I would have preferred nothing, I don't need actual glass). I'm guessing it helped keep the small pattern pieces in the center from breaking? Either way, BOOO to that part. I'm heavily contemplating removing that backing, sanding down any rough parts, and fixing/adjusting anything that breaks from my tinkering. I just hate you can't see through them!!

I like the cases and the rest a lot too though. Yea, after a very long time they'll start to flake and fade, but I think without direct sunlight and in climate controlled spaces they'll be alright as long as I'm around to appreciate them. I was actually a little taken aback by how nice the cases were, they're nicer than the original DVD extended edition cases which I still think are a benchmark for movie packaging. I have a shelf with all my editions on it and they are still some of my favorites. I don't collect every single one, but I have the original DVD extended, the blu-ray extended, and this new one along with all the bonus DVD's, Weta Gollum DVD, soundtracks, etc... AND now back on topic, the shelf will soon have the 4K steelbook sets from Best Buy and likely whatever super special mega edition they come out with next summer. That one may need it's own shelf.

I'm SO EXCITED FOR 4K MARATHON!!!!! My gf wants to watch too, I'm betting she'll be on her phone within 20 minutes lol.

Side question for any fellow movie collectors out there, DO ANY OF YOU.... AAAAAAANNNNNNNYYYYY of you.... like the cardboard folder style disc cases? Asking because while I don't mind them when done right, I just got the Skywalker Saga from Best Buy and I'm really not digging the packaging. I like the art in it and the discs, but I kinda hate the giant cardboard book. I can stand them when it's done right like on the overpriced LOTR/HOBBIT set I just got, but the first disc in the Skywalker Saga set I pulled out I thought I was gonna break. Overall I like the set, and while it's overpriced, I'm a sucker for Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movie collections...

Comment

I agree completely. Overall, it's a really nice shelf. It's strange that you can't see through the glass, but other than that, they did a really nice job. The details stamped into the books are amazing, and the imitation leather is so realistic that I couldn't tell the difference at first. I ended up selling mine because I just couldn't justify a plain wooden shelf taking up my very limited shelf space. I'd rather have a statue up there than a box. But it's definitely one I was sad to see go.

It's really just a shame that Warner Brothers handled the release so poorly. At the time, they were still unhappy about the trilogy. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but WB bought New Line almost exclusively because of the LOTR films. And they were really unhappy by the lack of attendance at their (very expensive) release party for the original Blu-Ray set, and then unhappy with the underwhelming Hobbit films, even after stretching it into an unnecessary trilogy for extra profits.

In 2015, Peter approached WB about finally releasing the complete, ultimate Blu-Ray set. Both trilogies were now finished, and 2016 would be the 15th Anniversary of FOTR. So it was the perfect time to finally complete and release the final edition, with the deleted scenes, etc. WB refused, because they were unwilling to spend any money to produce this new material. Instead, they released the set with no new features, in an $800 package. The set was universally rejected by fans for all of these reasons. But it didn't have to be that way. If WB had originally sold this for $200, as a way for the biggest fans to have the nicest possible packaging, I think this set would have been a beloved, big seller. So for you to get the set under $100 is absolutely perfect. I think it's likely to be the lowest price that it will ever be. Before that sale, even the cheapest sales hovered around twice that amount.

Also, I agree about the cardboard cases! I generally remove the discs and keep them in paper sleeves instead, so they don't get scratched. It's absurd that so many "deluxe" sets will actually damage the films. I don't like the Disney Star Wars films, so I only bought Episodes 1-6 on 4K. I debated going for the Skywalker Saga set for the nice packaging, but now I'm glad I didn't.

Comment

Just received this BluRay set and opened it yesterday

(Won’t be upgrading to 4K, at least not until it potentially becomes a necessity! In the same way the heightened clarity and smoothness of the 48fps HFR cinema release of the Hobbit in the cinema somehow made it look less real and believable, my wife and I much prefer the look of BluRay for movies!)

This set is very heavy indeed, the shelf is crafted from solid timber, rather than the usual cheap laminated particleboard or MDF. Extremely well made and very much in keeping with the refined yet simple elegance usually associated with with Tolkien’s works. Wonderful design by Peter Jackson, very old-world, rustic and hobbit like.

Love the leather bound DVD cases, how each movie book has a subtle relevant design in the leather artwork. Lots of details to find and explore. Each movie "book" is heavier than a large novel, and very solid. The thick cardboard "pages" are gilded.

The interior of the movie "books" are very nice, with screenshots and quotes from various scenes from each movie. As far as the interior design goes, my favourite set is still the original Extended DVD set, with the all the pencil sketches on parchment paper, overlaid with clear plastic holders for the DVDs, which were great for avoiding scratches. But this set is very nice also.

One thing I noticed was that even though the cardboard "pages" which hold the DVDs in a sleeve-type design, renowned for scratching discs when inserting and removing them, as hbw60 mentioned, the design is actually quite clever: even though the screenshots on the cardboard "pages" are a nice premium matt finish, hidden behind the DVDs when you remove them is a glossy clear overlay on top of the sunken round cutout in the screenshot, so the designers were obviously aware of protecting the discs from scratching due to this design. Really nice to see.

The real highlight is obviously Bilbo's Red Book of Westmarch, and all the various maps etc. I've seen many forum members with these props in their collections, so I'm guessing many of you already bought this set many years ago when it was released!

Oh well, better late than never, I guess!

Awesome set. Highly recommended.

HeraldElrond in answer to your question, yes I think the extras are most certainly worth it!

I got it for a bargain also, but the lowest I could find was still 3 times the amount you paid, so well done!

Regarding modifying the wooden Bag End window frames to be seen through, even with some carpentry skills I wouldn't be confident to attempt it without causing considerable damage to the shelf, my feeling is it would be easier to create a new shelf from scratch if you were hoping to achieve that effect. It would be very easy to make.

The other consideration to bear in mind is that if they were indeed functional windows, it would still have the same appearance either way, because instead of the seeing the dark brown timber currently behind the window frame, you would see the dark brown leather of the books instead. So it would almost be the same effect either way, essentially!

Anyway, big congrats, let us know how you go with yours!

Comment

Working...
                                          X