Netflix's Witcher Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix's Witcher Series

I was just wondering if anyone was excited for the upcoming Witcher tv series. Even though I bought the game a while back I've yet to ever actually play it so I don't really know any of the storylines they might use or any of the characters for it.

For those that have played the game how do you think the show will do? I assume it has more magic than Game of Thrones did since it really didn't have much magic in that really.

One excited person over here!

Though I have not read the novels, I have played all three games and DLC content and absolutely loved them. The third game in particular is a high watermark in video game history all on its own. The Netflix series is confirmed to follow the plot of the books, not the games, so for those us only familiar with the latter, a few differences should be expected. Having said that, the synopsis of the first season reveals a lot of things that appeared in the first game, which gives me some insight into the plot and makes me feel very happy with anticipation.

I think the show will do great based on the general comments I've read on other sites. Both the books and games have huge followings already so they have the advantage of a built-in fan base. Of course they could screw it up, but it sounds like every effort is being made to do the source material justice.

As for the presence of magic, I wouldn't expect much to be honest. Its presence in the world is very low key, at least that's how it's represented in the games, and though Geralt uses magic signs, potions, and oils, it is far from a common occurrence. Also, yes, one of the main characters is a sorceress, but don't expect this to be Dungeons & Dragons onscreen. What it will have with far more prevalence than GoT is the presence of the supernatural and fantastical monsters out of one's worst nightmares. Where GoT basically had dragons and white walkers only, with the Witcher, you should expect an extensive list of critters of the kind you scare your children with stories of if they've been naughty... except in this world, they are real.

Comment

(on the part of being excited) Hell yeah

I was actually just looking at the newly published photos of Geralt on Henry Cavill's instagram and was thinking how we could use a Witcher thread here, so you've beaten me to it.

I'm more excited about the Witcher than I am on the LotR series. It promises to be spectacular. The 3rd game is possible the greatest PC game created to this date so if you can find the time to play it by all means do. I've started reading the books only recently and they are also quite good. Henry Cavill looks just right for the role and he's a fan so I think it's in good hands.

Comment

I’ll have to pick up the books to give them a read.

Hopefully the show will do well. A friend of mine is working on the production of it currently.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
          I’ll have to pick up the books to give them a read.

Hopefully the show will do well. A friend of mine is working on the production of it currently.
          Will there be more swords for you to collect?

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post

Will there be more swords for you to collect?
            It’s hard enough keeping up with Peters swords. But I can’t say I won’t not buy one from Witcher if there is one I really like.

Off topic from the Witcher, if you’ve got $$$$$$ there will be a screen used Eyowen aluminum version sword weta prop in the coming months along with some other things coming up for auction. I’d expect it to go for around $50,000 pounds.

Comment

Big Witcher fan after playing Witcher 3, like many here. I was very excited about the Netflix series when I initially heard of it. But after seeing a few Netflix adaptations of other source materials, I'm pretty sure this won't meet LotR/GoT levels of quality, neither in storytelling nor production quality.

I want to be surprised in a positive way, so I expect something like Shannara Chronicles (which would be a tragedy).

Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Homunculus1916 View Post
                Big Witcher fan after playing Witcher 3, like many here. I was very excited about the Netflix series when I initially heard of it. But after seeing a few Netflix adaptations of other source materials, I'm pretty sure this won't meet LotR/GoT levels of quality, neither in storytelling nor production quality.

I want to be surprised in a positive way, so I expect something like Shannara Chronicles (which would be a tragedy).

We won’t know how it is until it comes out. I’m going to be optimistic for it for now. Netflix is trying to push for better content since they’re losing all the marvel and Disney stuff once that contract ends.

Comment

I am cautiously excited. I absolutely adored the third game, have never played the two before it. What keeps me from being outright excited for the show is that it isn't based on the games, and the games aren't based on any of the books. I think they are more of a sequel to the books. I have read through the books once (well actually listened to them, audio books are awesome while sculpting!), and thought they were just alright. The first two are like collections of short stories, and I really liked them, but then once the story really started, I found my interest wane as they books went on. Though, that is only my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post

It’s hard enough keeping up with Peters swords. But I can’t say I won’t not buy one from Witcher if there is one I really like.

Off topic from the Witcher, if you’ve got $$$$$$ there will be a screen used Eyowen aluminum version sword weta prop in the coming months along with some other things coming up for auction. I’d expect it to go for around $50,000 pounds.
                    This will sound very Breakfast at Tiffany like but anything in that auction for a few hundred pounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Anarion View Post

This will sound very Breakfast at Tiffany like but anything in that auction for a few hundred pounds?
                      It's possible though unlikely. Screen used Lord of the Rings stuff always goes for a lot these days at auction. At least the stuff we all really want always does. They may end up having some smaller items in it that will be cheaper but I'm not sure. The items for the auction haven't been released yet. I just know about the sword and that the auction will be coming up since I know someone that works at the auction house.

I tried buying one of the screen used Elven helms a few years back but dropped out when the bid was up to $8,000. I also really wanted the Jurassic Park cane with the amber top on it that the old man carried around in the film. That ended up going for around $30,000 which was pretty crazy. Stuff in movie auctions for screen used stuff always goes for crazy amounts most of the time it seems.

Comment

ghettodactyl I hope you will add a link to the auction once it has been released. I always enjoy seeing what they have up for auction, even if I can't afford it.

Comment

I cant wait! I think it looks really good- and I for one, think Henry Cavill will do a great job as Geralt. The game was fantastic and hopefully they dont go too silly or childish with it.
                          "I aim to misbehave." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Warofoz View Post
                            I cant wait! I think it looks really good- and I for one, think Henry Cavill will do a great job as Geralt. The game was fantastic and hopefully they dont go too silly or childish with it.
                            A Tweet from a few days ago stated how the show certainly isn't child appropriate.

Comment

Here's to hoping they do the book and the games some justice, since most of the fans who will be drawn to this are the ones who played the game and immensely enjoyed it.

Most of the cast's looks will be compared to the game, and the tone and feel of the environment will likely also be compared to the game.

Has Netflix produced any successful fantasy series to date? Stranger Things doesn't count.
                              Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

Originally posted by Radagaster View Post
                                Here's to hoping they do the book and the games some justice, since most of the fans who will be drawn to this are the ones who played the game and immensely enjoyed it.

Most of the cast's looks will be compared to the game, and the tone and feel of the environment will likely also be compared to the game.

Has Netflix produced any successful fantasy series to date? Stranger Things doesn't count.
                                Not sure if Lost in Space counts. It’s sci-fi fantasy but it was done extremely well by Netflix. The last season of Lucifer was done well also. I do wonder how the Witcher will end up. Netflix is doing a lot of upcoming popular type shows. I hope the Witcher and Avatar the last air bender end up being made well.

Also their upcoming Dark Crystal show will be out soon but it hasn’t been released yet.

Comment

I’m excited for this!

Loved the game. Hoping Cavill does well.

Scriff

Comment

I'm looking forward to this. I've read The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny (two collections of short stories featuring Geralt) and really enjoyed them. Some great material there for a TV show. Hopefully they will stick closely to the stories. Andrzej is involved in the show I believe so there's hope.

At first I thought they had cast Yennifer too young... But then the idea is that she is a lot older than you think and uses magic to look youthful... So I guess it makes sense. But she still doesn't look that much older than the girl playing Ciri - who is supposed to be a child at this point... I guess we'll see.
                                    Like most people, my introduction to this world was playing Witcher 3 - Which I am still yet to complete Having too much exploring!

Big fan of Cavill as well. I'm sure he'll knock it out the park.

But the success of this show won't just rest on his shoulders. There is a huge supporting cast who hopefully will be awesome and also the costumes, effects, and especially the monsters need to be amazing as well. Lots of pressure.

I hope the music is amazing. The music in Witcher 3 is fantastic and I know a lot of people might not think that's important but it plays a huge part for me personally. Makes the difference between a 'good' show and a GREAT show.

So yes - I'm excited, but there's also a lot of room for disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarion View Post

A Tweet from a few days ago stated how the show certainly isn't child appropriate.
                                      Yes! This makes me happy- just like the game its definitely not for young eyes. I cant wait to see wait awaits us at SDCC.
                                      "I aim to misbehave." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Comment

The trailer is here and it looks more or less like I expected it - NETFLIX quality cheesy American style fantasy.

I think I can accomodate to the actors used if the storytelling is decent - that's the thing that will make or break the show for me. Visually I'm yeaning for the old Polish show. It at least had great outdoor locations and adequate actors and costumes. A bit of me died while watching the trailer. This won't be no Game of Thrones.

To be fair, the following are the screenshots I disliked the most. The Rest of the trailer was not so bad.

Elves of course or even worse, 'cause with their funny green costumes, they look like a cheap version of GoT's 'Children of the Forest', maybe dryads??

great natural outdoor locations

diverse court

Ciri spirited away

Words fail me

At least my friend in the scrotum armour saves the day!!! I hoped to see him in a nightmarish vision. Instead now he is a nightmareish vision to me.

"The Legend of William Tell" level of bad interior design

I hate these cheap looking structures

Is this granny - how old is she? Not diverse enough to include older actresses?

Last edited by Homunculus1916; 20th July 2019, 23:01.
                                        Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

Comment

Working...
                                        X