Tolkien 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tolkien 2019

Tolkien 2019 - the largest celebration of Tolkien ever held by the Society.
    Celebrating 50 years of The Tolkien Society, it will bring together hundreds of fans, scholars and artists from all over the world.
    This event will be held at the Macdonald Burlingtom Hotel in Birmingham (UK) on the 7th to 11th August.
    I'm wondering how many FoU Forum members are planning to pay a visit.

I'm going to have a small display of most of my goodies, including some new items that I'm working on.
    Hopefully my Nauglamir will be finished by then and will be on view. It will give me a chance to meet up with Ted Nasmith who has been most supportive towards this project and is keen to see his artwork turned into reality.

Who's going?

https://www.tolkien2019.com/

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

This sounds like something that would be really great to attend.... sadly I live in the States and its not possible for me to do. I do hope all those who attend report back here so we can live vicariously through their experience the way we do San Diego Comic Con.

Comment

Originally posted by gideon View Post
      .... sadly I live in the States ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamspheres View Post
        I don't think I phrased it properly. I love living in the States and am very happy here- with the exception being the current political occupant of our nations highest office . However, for the purposes of visiting this fine event, it is a disadvantage.

Comment

+1, I wish I could go. Is Weta also going?

Comment

I don't think I phrased it properly. I love living in the States and am very happy here- with the exception being the current political occupant of our nations highest office . However, for the purposes of visiting this fine event, it is a disadvantage.
            I'm sure you do....I was just kidding. There must be thousands of fans all over the World who will find it too expensive a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
              +1, I wish I could go. Is Weta also going?
              I honestly don't know. Only the main speakers are listed on the website. The organisers might know so you could always send them an email.

Comment

I doubt Weta would be going.

Comment

I wish I could go but I fear this might kill my wallet for good...

Comment

Just found out about this, think i might make the trip down. Even just for the speakers alone, i loved listening to them on the Lord Of The Rings appendices

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                      I doubt Weta would be going.
                      Sadly, I must agree with you. There is a lot of open hostility in the Tolkien academic community against the Jackson films and the merchandise that spins off from it. While this is not total or all encompassing, it does exist and is something of a badge of honor among some Tolkien book purists.

WETA would be silly to go there.

Comment

Sadly, I must agree with you. There is a lot of open hostility in the Tolkien academic community against the Jackson films and the merchandise that spins off from it. While this is not total or all encompassing, it does exist and is something of a badge of honor among some Tolkien book purists.

WETA would be silly to go there.
                        Well, let the 'book purists' stay in their own little world. The films are popular and oscar winning for a reason.

I more meant that it isn't a major collectibles convention so seeing as Weta seem to be getting pickier about where they go, they're not going to rock up at a Tolkien lecture. Hell, if they ever come to the UK at all it'd be a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

Well, let the 'book purists' stay in their own little world. The films are popular and oscar winning for a reason.

I more meant that it isn't a major collectibles convention so seeing as Weta seem to be getting pickier about where they go, they're not going to rock up at a Tolkien lecture. Hell, if they ever come to the UK at all it'd be a miracle.
                          Well said.

Comment

Is there likley to be eneyone out of the films there

Comment

Originally posted by Star wars vs lotr View Post
                              Is there likley to be eneyone out of the films there
                              I can't imagine that any of the actors would be there but you could try mailing the organisers through the site.

https://www.tolkien2019.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X