Clear All

The quality of prime 1 are superior
    Cant wait to see the lotr statues
    "I would have gone with you to the end,into the very fires of mordor"

Comment

Originally posted by watcher View Post
      The quality of prime 1 are superior
      Cant wait to see the lotr statues
      With Middle-Earth, I disagree. Weta literally made the creatures, costumes, weapons, armour and environments for the films. Who could compete with that? Imitations sure, but you can't beat the actual film-makers.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

With Middle-Earth, I disagree. Weta literally made the creatures, costumes, weapons, armour and environments for the films. Who could compete with that? Imitations sure, but you can't beat the actual film-makers.
        There are several artists that work for Weta that never worked on the films. So if Sam Gao or Jane Wenley where working for Prime 1 and creating their LOTR pieces instead of working for Weta, those pieces wouldn't be as good?

Comment

I love Weta but I have to agree with the folks that no-one can beat Prime1 nowadays. Their stuff is crispy perfect genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriaman View Post
            Not too long now, they will be revealing 5 statues at winter wonderfest in February, I’d like to see Gimli, he doesn’t get enough love!
            Is that five LOTR statues?

Comment

Originally posted by gideon View Post

Is that five LOTR statues?
              scary, no? Part of me wants stuff to look meh, dont tempt me Frodo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

There are several artists that work for Weta that never worked on the films. So if Sam Gao or Jane Wenley where working for Prime 1 and creating their LOTR pieces instead of working for Weta, those pieces wouldn't be as good?
                I don't buy as much now as things are so expensive, but if I see a piece by Gary Hunt, or Jamie Beswarick, or Daniel Falconer or Dave Tremont, I'd be more inclined to buy it. Even more than a P1 piece.
                Besides, all the sculptors may not have worked on the films, but they still work at the place with the best reference material available in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

I don't buy as much now as things are so expensive, but if I see a piece by Gary Hunt, or Jamie Beswarick, or Daniel Falconer or Dave Tremont, I'd be more inclined to buy it. Even more than a P1 piece.
                  Besides, all the sculptors may not have worked on the films, but they still work at the place with the best reference material available in the world.

Comment

Art is art. These folks are great but they happened to be working for Weta during the movies. Is a collectible they worked valuable? Absolutelly. Are their sculpt skills and techniques the best on earth? Probably not.

Is a prime1 statue second class because it was not touched by the folks who worked on the movies? No

My feeling is that whatever is released you are ready to dislike. Give them a chance precious. Customers can only gain with a tad of competition.

I am not sure i will go for prime1 (space/ cost) but i am curious and with an open heart to appreciate it. I hope to have in my collection a very accurate and large Gandalf, maybe its time.

Comment

I would imagine that Prime 1 has pretty decent access to reference material, which would come with the licensing agreement it would seem. As for scale, this is probably a split license arrangement which is why they will do 1/4 and Weta will continue to do 1/6 (and smaller). I collect both companies already, and both will have a different look and feel. Weta will remain museum-style, as I call it, and Prime 1 may be a little glossier and vibrant, like the SS maquette line. I will say this though: Prime 1 has the clear resin technique absolutely nailed. Weta did well with Isildur, but Thranduil's portrait showed they are still learning. We will probably get much more actor/actress-accurate face sculpts from Prime 1 for any humanoid characters, and the clear resin technique will be amazing. Other things to be aware of: there will probably be a 10-18 month window from time of order to shipping for Prime 1 pieces, Prime 1 has great QC, unsure of direct CS experiences but should be distributed through Sideshow for many markets, which is a nice safety net.

Comment

So, for Prime 1, will they be sold through Sideshow? I can't fathom purchasing Prime 1 stuff without some form of a payment plan.

As for the discussion whether Prime 1 will be as good as Weta, we can look at how Weta's license to United Cutlery and Noble fared, and those didn't turn out bad. The only ones that were questionable was Sideshow's doing (the dioramas come to mind).
                        Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

Well, I will be watching my newsletters from SS very closely as we get closer. There is no way I am not going to be ordering at least one of their reveals and I don't want to miss out.

Comment

So what are we expecting the 5 reveals to be? Aragorn, Gandalf, Beserker, Sauron? ...?

Comment

At the moment we only know about Sauron, Aragorn, Lurtz and Berserker. No word on the 5th, officially. And we've only seen teasers for Aragorn, Kurtz and Berserker. Which is frustrating as the Sauron is my most anticipated!

Comment

Knowing P1 the 5th one will be the Balrog or Cave Troll , I’m hoping for a Wraith though
                                Last edited by Moriaman; 22 November 2018, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
                                  At the moment we only know about Sauron, Aragorn, Lurtz and Berserker. No word on the 5th, officially. And we've only seen teasers for Aragorn, Kurtz and Berserker. Which is frustrating as the Sauron is my most anticipated!
                                  All very cool choices but they've all been done by Sideshow. No doubt Prime 1's efforts will be superior, but I'm most looking forward to characters that Sideshow never made.

Originally posted by Moriaman View Post
                                  Knowing P1 the 5th one will be the Balrog or Cave Troll , I’m hoping for a Wraith though
                                  The price tag of a P1 Balrog or Cave Troll has the makings of a very looong payment plan.

A 1/4 scale Wraith would be amazing - I was never tempted by Sideshow's Morgul Lord and Black Rider PFs. I'd also love to see Gimli, Boromir or a Helm's Deep Aragorn. The Hobbits too.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

Was there not a mention of a Gandalf the Grey at one point? Could he be the 5th piece?

Comment

Oh, I just noticed the teaser photo of Aragorn with Anduril. I guess a Helm's Deep version is off the table then.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

I'm very eager to see what pose sauron might be in. And also what scene in particular, if any. And what the base may contain. Also how they descide to go about with the paintjob. So many questions that need answering..
                                        My Gallery: http://flameofudun.net/forum/communi...ooms-creations

Comment

Well you got to be joking i have both witchking and drom and they are mint i woukd never part with them
                                          question does p1 only have lic for 1/4 and have they said if they are solid or mix media

Comment

Working...
                                          X