PRIME 1 studio (1/4 scale) LOTR line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book vs film moment.

Now maybe this is a perfect blend for the two?

Comment

I’m more in the DD camp than out. I really don’t like the Sauron or the Berserker. Then again, I didn’t like the Sideshow ones either. I think you all know I’m on the book side and a while ago I stopped getting anything that was only film related.

The Balrog v Gandalf now. I think with the whip looks spectacular. There are however things that annoy me about it. I won’t go into it here because it is really just subjective irrational rubbish. But having limited space, I now only get pieces that I totally love. I’m glad for those who love it cause it is a great movie moment.

Comment

I love the Balrog vs Gandalf piece. So much so I do plan to get it one way or the other. The extra on the base I could live without and I know it’s something I’ll mention when I review it. I also love the Aragorn piece and feel the base is a nice touch. The other pieces though I don’t care for to be honest. I think the bases take a bit away from the pieces and Lurtz/Berserker look a bit too on the muscular side.

Comment

I really like all of the LOTR Prime 1 statues so far but the Sauron and Aragorn statues are definitely my favourites

Comment

Is anyone worried about the Gandalf staff bending over time? I really hope they have a steel rod in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post
              Is anyone worried about the Gandalf staff bending over time? I really hope they have a steel rod in it.
              I’m would think they would put something in it to help it from bending. Especially for that price.

Comment

So, I see that on Prime1's website you can break down the payments over a long period of time (15 payments of $90/month). Do we know where they ship from, and do they have local warehouses world-wide?

I'm debating whether to go with Sideshow or Prime1 direct. Sideshow may have a limit to the number of payments. If the shipping costs are the same, what makes Sideshow a better option, unless local shipping from USA makes it cheaper??
                Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

Sauron,the portrayal of Sauron is simply breathtaking no one in my eyes has managed to portray this perfect pose. Sauron is mine.

Gandalf vs. Balrog. It will be a unique thing, if you want to keep this iconic scene forever then this is the chance, I am sure that we will never see something like this again and yes P1 did a great job. Whether it's film accurate or not, I'm not going to be that picky.

Comment

Originally posted by egel View Post
                    Hey, its cool. Different tastes and all that. Think of all the $$$ you save! Or spend on Weta stuff instead, never mind.
                    The shipping costs and customs fees and added taxes .... oh man

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                    Enjoyed your opinions of the Prime 1 LOTR offering so far. I can totally understand how you feel. Prime really doesn't leave much middle ground do they? You either are in love with them or your not. Luckily for me, I'm in complete love with them and think they are brilliant. I can't wait to see what Legolas and the Frodo and Gollum dio look like. I'm waiting for Aragorn and Uruk-hai Berserker to PO as they are definite buys for me.

I would love to know if they are going to be doing a Cave troll and I'm hoping to see them do Gimli. A 1/4 Gimli has never been done and I wants one badly!
                    I didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade of course. It's funny because I'm usually of the opinion that if someone else really likes something and you feel the opposite there's no real need to express that and ruin or sour the other person's enjoyment just for the sake of wanting or needing to say that you don't like it. In a way it's a bit like sneezing. Just hold it in. Having said that, it's just that I was catching up on Prime1's releases and reading all the positive comments in this thread and I was like 'why don't I feel like doing that at all?' And I guess I sneezed.

I'm definitely still looking forward to other releases from them though. I would also love to see a 1/4 Gimli (and Boromir) and if they even remotely fit in with Sideshow's PFs then I will try to get them. I would even be willing to modify the P1 base if necessary.

Originally posted by RandyBaggins View Post
                    Also in agreement with Ithildin . Besides, either you are looking for complete screen accuracy, where we would end up with a piece of bare rock from Khazad-dum as the base or get a stylized approach where the base is also a work of art that adds to the piece. I go with the latter. Sure some things are oversights on their part, like the missing scabbard and belt of Gandalf or Lurtz's boots but I would hope they listen to the fans and fix them as they go along. (Just like the high Elven helm from the Berserker's base from the initial teaser). I love all the revealed pieces so far because they seem to bring back what Sideshow did early on, show a moment in the story but also capture the essence of the character. Aragorn in particular has been done justice at last.
                    As somebody previously said we are so used to Weta's prices, we are completely caught by surprise at what we are getting from P1 for what we pay.
                    Originally posted by Anubis View Post
                    Yes the Balrog base might not be 100% screen accurate, but would you rather a blank rock face? Not me. I don't think it's overkill, I think it's adding interest to a base that would be boring otherwise.

Admittedly the Berserker base for example might be a little much with all the swords on the base, but Sauron I politely disagree. It's meant to be a centrepiece, and it completely does that. I don't even think it's that over the top. It's him stood, raising this hand. Hardly releasing a Kamehameha. ?? It's going to be epic.

I admit I'm big on screen accuracy. In fact, I love screen accuracy. But my 'problem' with the Balrog base isn't that P1 went with some form of ornamentation on the base; Sideshow did the same with their LOTR pieces and Weta has been doing it with the etched map for almost 20 years. It's just that P1 seems to have done it in such a way that it's not clear what is part of the environment/diorama and what is ornamental base. They blend seamlessly which can make it look like the base is (meant to be) part of the diorama, which would be wrong. And yes, that kind of (trivial) thing bugs me. I'd either like a clear demarcation between the ornamental base and the actual environment or a plain and simple base with more environment. And I realize that more environment would mean a 'boring' and 'bare' rock face, but that's where it happened and that's what I'd want. Khazad-dum was a sheer epic drop. It had no statues carved into it. So to me, what P1 did simply looks weird and inaccurate. I'm glad others see a stylized and interesting base though.

Originally posted by Idril View Post
                    I’m more in the DD camp than out. I really don’t like the Sauron or the Berserker. Then again, I didn’t like the Sideshow ones either. I think you all know I’m on the book side and a while ago I stopped getting anything that was only film related.

The Balrog v Gandalf now. I think with the whip looks spectacular. There are however things that annoy me about it. I won’t go into it here because it is really just subjective irrational rubbish. But having limited space, I now only get pieces that I totally love. I’m glad for those who love it cause it is a great movie moment.
                    I love the books and the movies both, although I have different favorites in each medium. Fellowship is my favorite film in the trilogy while Return of the King is my favorite part of the book.

I have most of the other Sideshow PFs but never liked the Sauron or Beserker ones either. Like Ithildin said, I also hope P1 gives us characters like Gimli and Boromir and maybe even the hobbits in 1/4 scale to finish what Sideshow started.

And I'm definitely also in the limited-space-do-I-really-love-it phase.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

Originally posted by DD View Post
                      I admit I'm big on screen accuracy. In fact, I love screen accuracy. But my 'problem' with the Balrog base isn't that P1 went with some form of ornamentation on the base; Sideshow did the same with their LOTR pieces and Weta has been doing it with the etched map for almost 20 years. It's just that P1 seems to have done it in such a way that it's not clear what is part of the environment/diorama and what is ornamental base. They blend seamlessly which can make it look like the base is (meant to be) part of the diorama, which would be wrong. And yes, that kind of (trivial) thing bugs me. I'd either like a clear demarcation between the ornamental base and the actual environment or a plain and simple base with more environment. And I realize that more environment would mean a 'boring' and 'bare' rock face, but that's where it happened and that's what I'd want. Khazad-dum was a sheer epic drop. It had no statues carved into it. So to me, what P1 did simply looks weird and inaccurate. I'm glad others see a stylized and interesting base though.
                      No don't worry I completely understand. I'm normally all for screen accurate as well but P1's pieces for me have been so 'cool' that I've been happy enough to let that slide a little bit.

To be honest I think they're catering for the 'general' statue collecting crowd with these as much as the hardcore LOTR (Weta) crowd anyway, if you know what I mean. So unlike a lot on this forum who only collect Middle-earth, I think P1 will be bought by a lot of people who collect other licences and larger scales and buy things just because they like the look of them. I hope that makes sense.

And I know it's been said before on here, but I've never seen statues that divide as much as P1's. It seems people really do either love them or don't care for them. I guess it's a good thing that we have choice. The more companies that have the licence and the more options we have the better!

Comment

Never hold a sneeze in as it inevitably comes out as a fart

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                            That can be dangerous and have its own perils if you’re not careful.

Comment

I'd either like a clear demarcation between the ornamental base and the actual environment or a plain and simple base with more environment. And I realize that more environment would mean a 'boring' and 'bare' rock face, but that's where it happened and that's what I'd want. Khazad-dum was a sheer epic drop. It had no statues carved into it. So to me, what P1 did simply looks weird and inaccurate. I'm glad others see a stylized and interesting base though.

I love the books and the movies both, although I have different favorites in each medium. Fellowship is my favorite film in the trilogy while Return of the King is my favorite part of the book.
                              I agree with this; though I enjoy Two Towers about as much as Fellowship, when it comes to the films. While Return of the King is undoubtedly my favorite part of the book.

I would prefer a screen-accurate bare rock, over the ornamentation added. But I still really enjoy parts of the extra ornamentation that they add. It's a little too over the top, for my taste. To each their own!

It's definitely not a big enough issue to keep me from wanting the statue however. Only issue is the cost of everything. I don't think it's unreasonable, just out of my current budget.

Comment

I didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade of course. It's funny because I'm usually of the opinion that if someone else really likes something and you feel the opposite there's no real need to express that and ruin or sour the other person's enjoyment just for the sake of wanting or needing to say that you don't like it. In a way it's a bit like sneezing. Just hold it in. Having said that, it's just that I was catching up on Prime1's releases and reading all the positive comments in this thread and I was like 'why don't I feel like doing that at all?' And I guess I sneezed.

I'm definitely still looking forward to other releases from them though. I would also love to see a 1/4 Gimli (and Boromir) and if they even remotely fit in with Sideshow's PFs then I will try to get them. I would even be willing to modify the P1 base if necessary.
                                DD, never be afraid to share your honest opinion here my friend. I enjoy reading different opinions about everything were talk about. I have never once decided to not get something because someone else felt differently about it. I love what I love and am not embarrassed about it, even if I were the only one that did. But I have been able to look at something at times in a different way because someone pointed something out that they either loved or bothered them. So keep posting those thoughts!

Comment

Expressing that you don't like something isn't wrong, but bashing someone for liking something you don't is.

Comment

This fire part looks like removable to anyone? Just thinking about future need to change the LEDs in case of problems (like with the Weta Balrog bust).
                                    Does P1 usually have accessible electronics compartments?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-25_173554.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	187971
                                    IG: @randy_bagginses

Comment

I don`t know but think not.

Comment

I would be surprised if it were removable. The LED feature is great but I picked this up based on how awesome it looks without the light effects on. For me it hit the mark and the lighting feature is secondary. If they ever went out, I would not be sad.

Comment

I wonder how the Balrog here compares with the weta one size wise. Seems to be not much bigger. If so then we’ll just be buying this for the base and the tiny Gandalf?

Comment

Working...
                                          X