PRIME 1 studio (1/4 scale) LOTR line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I.haven’t ordered the Prime1 Balrog but it is tempting. I’ll be able to see it at my friends house. He has a stable of Balrogs.

But as far as the Daddy Balrog goes....... I don’t think it can be beaten. At least in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post
      But as far as the Daddy Balrog goes....... I don’t think it can be beaten. At least in my mind.
      I agree wholeheartedly with you there Idril. My Daddy Rog is a grail piece and no mistake. I still consider it one of my most treasured pieces in my collection.

Just in case anyone needs reminding.

AWESOME!

Comment

I hadn’t thought much about the paint job on the Daddy until people started talking about it. It is sublime. So good you don’t even think it has been painted. It just seems to have been created in colour.

It is one of my 5 most treasured pieces. I wouldn’t sell mine even if my kids allowed me to. Which they wouldn’t. One has already requested my AP in the will.

Comment

Originally posted by bill59 View Post

I agree wholeheartedly with you there Idril. My Daddy Rog is a grail piece and no mistake. I still consider it one of my most treasured pieces in my collection.

AWESOME!

Comment

I’ve no idea what you’re all talking about regarding the paint work, I’ve never had a Balrog statue, as I only go for sixth scale!

Are these the two statues you’re referring to?

Click image for larger version

Name:	A863B38C-8FEA-42FE-96EF-3A1CD0AA6018.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	185159

Which is the paint scheme everyone is less happy with?

AWESOME!
            Great shot Bill

Why is this one called the Daddy Rog? Is it related to the size?

Comment

Originally posted by Starcadian View Post
              Prime 1 Balrog is obviously awesome too, except I'm not a fan of how they did the whip at all. Looks like a limp noodle to me. But everyone has their own preference!
              I'm kinda with you. I think a flame whip is too hard to pull off properly, and it just looks weird. I know it's his more well-known weapon, but it wouldn't bother me much to pass on it

Comment

Personally, I consider it the best piece in my collection .. This Balrog is perfect ... Grail of Grails

Comment

Valar as far as naming the rogs - Daddy got that name because there were only two originally. Daddy was the bigger and baby was the little one. You know the one on the rock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	93F9AFA3-867E-4D84-94E8-99A4E1B728E1.png Views:	0 Size:	563.7 KB ID:	185178

I can’t comment on the newer Rogs paintwork (the bigger of the two you posted the pic of Valar) but it is the Daddy whose paintwork is sublime. In fact, the paintwork on the baby Rog is also fantastic. This is making me start to wonder if the early pieces have better paint jobs.
                  Last edited by Idril; 14 July 2020, 13:50.

Comment

The first is still the best, I can confirm that.

Incidentally, the missing scabbard from Gandalf will be submitted according to Prime1.

Comment

POed the EX Sauron. At this point I'm not looking forward to anything from Weta except for the rest of the Last Alliance (Elendil, Gil-galad and a Numenorean). What they have already released so far is enough to keep me going for years. I think the line is complete and what they will release are "moments" and not characters. The exception would be Theoden on horse but judging by the price hike, I think it'll be out of my scope. Thankfully I don't even care about the Hobbit releases.
                      If the P1 pre-orders stay open for another couple of months I guess I will have a go at the Balrog and Aragorn.
                      IG: @randy_bagginses

Comment

Has anyone here preordered anything at bunker158? If so, how does the payment work? How much do you pay up front and how much later on?
                        My Gallery: http://flameofudun.net/forum/communi...ooms-creations

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post
                          Valar as far as naming the rogs - Daddy got that name because there were only two originally. Daddy was the bigger and baby was the little one. You know the one on the rock.

Click image for larger version Name:	93F9AFA3-867E-4D84-94E8-99A4E1B728E1.png Views:	0 Size:	563.7 KB ID:	185178

I can’t comment on the newer Rogs paintwork (the bigger of the two you posted the pic of Valar) but it is the Daddy whose paintwork is sublime. In fact, the paintwork on the baby Rog is also fantastic. This is making me start to wonder if the early pieces have better paint jobs.
                          Thanks Idril. Quite a few comments on “golden flames” on the newer Balrog, did they actually use metallic gold?

Yes coming from a painting background myself, I’ve always loved the earlier SSW paint jobs, especially in terms of quality of pigmentation. The quality of the metallic paints was beyond belief!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Malcolm View Post
                            Has anyone here preordered anything at bunker158? If so, how does the payment work? How much do you pay up front and how much later on?
                            10% non refundable deposit.
                            The rest on delivery.

Comment

AWESOME!
                              This picture's been quoted 4 times already, but here's one more. Awesome photo Bill, it really is an amazing piece.

I'm really on the fence on whether I order the Prime 1 piece. I'm gonna wait and see what Weta hit us with next week first, but even then I have literally nowhere to put it. Unfortunately I don't think it will bring down the price of the original Daddy Rog, but if I don't go for the Prime 1 piece, I'd love to think I might have a shot at the Daddy Rog if prices do come down a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post

10% non refundable deposit.
                                The rest on delivery.
                                Thanks Plat, good to know!

Has anyone seen any info on if it will run on batteries or plug in?
                                I would prefer plug in, but it is probably battaries.
                                Last edited by Dr.Malcolm; 15 July 2020, 07:28.
                                My Gallery: http://flameofudun.net/forum/communi...ooms-creations

Comment

The checkout process at Bunker158 is a little confusing though. At the end it gives you only the full amount, no deposit. Don't pay anything after this, they'll send you an email with the correct details. I myself preordered the Sauron EX there

Comment

Originally posted by RandyBaggins View Post
                                    POed the EX Sauron. At this point I'm not looking forward to anything from Weta except for the rest of the Last Alliance (Elendil, Gil-galad and a Numenorean). What they have already released so far is enough to keep me going for years. I think the line is complete and what they will release are "moments" and not characters. The exception would be Theoden on horse but judging by the price hike, I think it'll be out of my scope. Thankfully I don't even care about the Hobbit releases.
                                    If the P1 pre-orders stay open for another couple of months I guess I will have a go at the Balrog and Aragorn.
                                    It won’t be complete until we also get Denethor, a Gondor soldier, a fountain guard, the rest of the last alliance statues... then you could argue a case for Skully the orc lieutenant, Gorbag, Shagrat, Snaga, Sharku.....

Comment

Valar yes there is gold metallic paint on the newer Weta Balrog. Although it isn’t gold leaf.

Comment

Interesting technique!

I’ve always wondered if gold/silver leaf was actually used on those SSW statues?

eg Elessar’s coronation armour, Boromir’s shield, Elrond’s armour, Gimli’s helm, Gandalf’s sword.

I’ve never seen metallic paint of this quality, usually you can see the tiny flecks of metallic pigment particles in the paint, for example on ToE’s armour, but those SSW metallics had such a brilliant lustre with no sign of pigment particles, they were great!

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

It won’t be complete until we also get Denethor, a Gondor soldier, a fountain guard, the rest of the last alliance statues... then you could argue a case for Skully the orc lieutenant, Gorbag, Shagrat, Snaga, Sharku.....
                                          Yes to all of this.

Comment

Working...
                                          X