PRIME 1 studio (1/4 scale) LOTR line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Oh yeah, it's epic! Almost 20 years old, I've seen it so many times I can't remember and the films are still #1 on my favorite list. I have seen a lot on new films since then but something tells me that for as long as I live, The LOTR films will be pure cinematic gold to me.
    I’m with ya. I love these films so much. They’re truly something special. The books are something special. What Tolkien created and Jackson put on film have impacted me so.

Comment

PO of EX done at secret compass, their shipping is usually cheaper.

I think the Cave troll will come also in a similar non scale yet large piece diorama. Who will release the CT first? P1, IS or Weta? Oh I would love to have as problem to decide which one(s) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
        PO of EX done at secret compass, their shipping is usually cheaper.

I think the Cave troll will come also in a similar non scale yet large piece diorama. Who will release the CT first? P1, IS or Weta? Oh I would love to have as problem to decide which one(s) lol.
        Congrats!

Here is the rub. I actually want a CT from Prime now more than I want it to come from Weta. But I think that Weta is going to release one first. So what to do? Gamble and wait for a CT from Prime that "might" come or just go with the sure thing from Weta and spend hundreds of dollars more? The base on Prime's will be epic and I am so loving what they have already released in their LOTR line. Sigh, if I only had a crystal ball....

Comment

A CT from P1 would be released like in 2022-2023. You can probably receive a Weta CT in 2021 and sell it when the P1 arrives. You know, so that there is always a good level of CT in your life. The only thing that will stop me from picking a CT from Weta is price, I refuse to support them If I perceive price is wrong.

Comment

Yeah if Weta announces a CT during Comic-Con and the price if right I'm very much game for ordering it. The thing that has stopped me from ordering MC in the past is the 2k barrier. That's a no go for me. This Balrog piece is something special, IMO so because it covers multiple things that mean a lot to me. The value is acceptable at the price they're charging. Whereas I see some of the other LOTR pieces they've hinted at or shown and none of them ring my bell. So moral of the story is if Weta announces a CT and he's like 2k-2.5k I'm totally out and I will wait and see if Prime does one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Didn't BBTS have Prime's Sauron EX up for $1,734.99? I got mine from Secret Compass for $1,399. So BBTS gives you a $4 flat shipping rate but you pay an extra $335.99 to get it? I'm sure my shipping from SC will be far less than the extra $335.99 that BBTS wanted you to pay. I'm sure that BBTS will inflate the price for BvG just as much. Go with SS or SC and pay for the actual shipping, that $4 flat shipping scam at BBTS will hurt.
              I didn't realize BBTS charged a premium for the Sauron EX. That's the info that's helpful. On another note, it doesn't look like Secret Compass does payments, so here's hoping Sideshow comes through.
              Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

Originally posted by Elessar View Post
                Yeah if Weta announces a CT during Comic-Con and the price if right I'm very much game for ordering it. The thing that has stopped me from ordering MC in the past is the 2k barrier. That's a no go for me. This Balrog piece is something special, IMO so because it covers multiple things that mean a lot to me. The value is acceptable at the price they're charging. Whereas I see some of the other LOTR pieces they've hinted at or shown and none of them ring my bell. So moral of the story is if Weta announces a CT and he's like 2k-2.5k I'm totally out and I will wait and see if Prime does one.
                I'm totally with you there.
                All of the Prime 1 releases so far had really struck me and the price (for Sauron and the Balrog Dio so far) is absolutely justified for the statue you're getting, imo.
                Now with Weta... not any more. I find the MC pieces ridiculously overpriced and the QC shameful for such expensive & "exclusive" pieces. And as discussed before, the "normal" 1/6 line is also getting price updates that - to me - are not justified.

Just my own personal opinion.

I wonder if the P1 prices for their huuuge pieces will make Weta think about the pricing of their upcoming MC, no matter what it is. Why pay 2.000+ bucks for a 1/6 piece if you get an incredible 1/4 statue for far less money?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingFool View Post

I'm totally with you there.
                  All of the Prime 1 releases so far had really struck me and the price (for Sauron and the Balrog Dio so far) is absolutely justified for the statue you're getting, imo.
                  Now with Weta... not any more. I find the MC pieces ridiculously overpriced and the QC shameful for such expensive & "exclusive" pieces. And as discussed before, the "normal" 1/6 line is also getting price updates that - to me - are not justified.

Just my own personal opinion.

I wonder if the P1 prices for their huuuge pieces will make Weta think about the pricing of their upcoming MC, no matter what it is. Why pay 2.000+ bucks for a 1/6 piece if you get an incredible 1/4 statue for far less money?
                  Totally understand. Like I said they haven’t for me but I get it for some they have. Mostly because I didn’t care for the look combined with price (Sauron being the only other PO available). Now the Balrog looks worth it and I love the look.

My passing on the MC pieces from Weta strictly has been due to price. I’ve even said that to them at Comic-Con. I really wanted TB for example but his price kept me from it. There where other pieces announced combined I wanted more. For me 2k was too much for one piece when there are several others I want as much. Unfortunately there have been some qc issues for some but as a whole things seem fine. So that really doesn’t factor into me ordering or not. I trust Weta would take care of me. As far as the 1/6 line goes I don’t have issues with that. The Witch-king was on the high end of what I thought, but I passed on it due to what might be or not be at Comic-Con.

It’s totally possible P1 could make Weta adjust things. Depends on what their data says in how it’s impacting their sales and how that works with their cost to produce the items.

Comment

How do you know that they're incredible? I wouldn't praise all of this if you haven't had much to do with P1 yet, I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post

How do you know that they're incredible? I wouldn't praise all of this if you haven't had much to do with P1 yet, I would.
                      Of couse so far I can only judge by the photos and videos I've seen of their Sauron, Lurtz, Berserker, Aragorn and Balrog Dio. And those do look incredible to me. And Prime 1 Studio in general has a pretty good reputation in the collectors community considering their other lines besides LotR.

And by the way - how could you judge the new Weta pieces coming up? There's also just photos and (maybe) videos.

But this post is not meant to be a "who's the better company" thing. I just wanted to point to the pricing policy we're witnessing nowadays.

Comment

I have almost all of the Weta statues of the past few years at home and can certainly judge something because there is not always a quantum leap every year in terms of visual quality, they will look just as good as Galadriel or Gandalf on Card and I also had P1 statues at home and can judge. Many just look artificial and cheap and the workmanship is not always good, not to mention the poor service. I also ordered Sauron and hope that it was a good decision.

Comment

Man the 360 view of this looks outstanding! The back of the base is pretty incredible as well. Lots of detail! Really hope some EU distributor will have a descent price on the EX. I will definitely sell my daddy rog for this one! I am more drawn to this. What size comparison does this P1 have to the Weta daddy rog? A bit bigger or pretty close?
                          My Gallery: http://flameofudun.net/forum/communi...ooms-creations

Comment

From the photos and videos of these new P1 pieces so far, the bottom line for me is this: dollar for dollar, P1 is offering far more bang for your buck. In a world where increasing prices have become a real concern rather than an occasional nuisance, this is an important consideration. I'm not one to sacrifice quality to save a few dollars, but if these P1 statues look anywhere near as good in hand as they do in these promos, then I say they are offering products that are comparable or better than Weta's, and for far less money.

My reasons for sticking with Weta are now purely for consistency. I don't want to mix my lines, and at the end of the day, the P1 bases are too over the top for me. All kind of irrelevant in the end because I seriously no longer have space for more than one or two more smaller pieces, so that makes staying away from P1's 1/4 scale even easier. But again, their prices for what you get should be giving Weta a bit of the sweats.

Comment

Ok so bunker158 has the regular for €1499 and the EX for €1999. That makes no sense since the initial cost is $1299 vs $1399

Comment

Don´t forget the shipping and custom fees, than it will cost you 2500€ as direkt order from P1 for the ex.
                                It is very difficult for an european shop to get the ex from P1 that is i think what makes it expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
                                  Don´t forget the shipping and custom fees, than it will cost you 2500€ as direkt order from P1 for the ex.
                                  It is very difficult for an european shop to get the ex from P1 that is i think what makes it expensive.
                                  That would make sense if the regular would also be around the €2000 mark. But it has a €500 higher pricetag and the box is most likely the exact same size.
                                  Most shops also offer the Sauron EX which only differs a small amount.
                                  So this gap makes no sense.
                                  Also for P1, I think they are pretty much determin the ES later and there is no set ES, not even for the EX. So this wouldn''t make it any harder for shops to offer the EX. At least that is what one can assume.
                                  Last edited by Dr.Malcolm; 11 July 2020, 09:08.

Comment

I also don't think that it is that difficult for an european shop to get the EX. Bunker158 has both the Sauron Reg / EX and the Balrog Dio Reg / EX. The latter with slightly different pricing but the same original prices at Prime 1:

Sauron Reg / EX
                                    P1: 1.299 US$ / 1.399 US$
                                    Bunker: 1.525 € / 1.649 €

Gandalf - Balrog Dio Reg / EX
                                    P1: 1.299 US$ / 1.399 US$
                                    Bunker: 1.499 € / 1.999 €

While their price for the Balrog Reg is pretty good imo, the price for the EX is a little... greedy, I would say.

Although I preordered the Sauron Ex at bunker158, I'll wait for other EU shops to come around with prices for the Balrog Dio.
                                    Last edited by FlyingFool; 11 July 2020, 17:56.

Comment

I also don't think that it is that difficult for an european shop to get the EX. Bunker158 has both the Sauron Reg / EX and the Balrog Dio Reg / EX. The latter with slightly different pricing but the same original prices at Prime 1:

Although I preordered the Sauron Ex at bunker158, I'll wait for other EU shops to come around with prices for the Balrog Dio.
                                      They have non refundable deposit of 10% dear FF
                                      #
                                      The price is ok and i don´t think that we get the Ex lower than 2000€ if yes but with shipping.
                                      Last edited by Plat; 11 July 2020, 19:51.

Comment

I think the price for the Balrog Prime One statue was really good. Especially for the size of that piece!! And I picked up the EX- its awesome to be able to switch out weapons for different display options.
                                        "I aim to misbehave." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Comment

I never owned a Prime1 piece and I am super curious to witness the quality people talk about. I have a Shadow and Flame balrog from Weta but the paint was so sloppy I got a black pen to improve the fire delimitations. I learned to love its imperfections The little belly, unexciting base, I even got him a proper weapon, a whip. I may never sell it, I will wait for P1 arrival in 2027 to decide (if I'm still alive).

Comment

Working...
                                          X