PRIME 1 studio (1/4 scale) LOTR line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
    The bases are one of the reasons I love Prime1's work so much. They are pieces of art in their own right.

So what do you think the EX extras will be for Aragorn? A switch-out portrait?
    I think this portrait. Or something similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11BE8E37-E3A4-488A-8F7B-22A0246118BA.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	183916

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post

I think this portrait. Or something similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11BE8E37-E3A4-488A-8F7B-22A0246118BA.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	183916
      Yes! That would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitheithel View Post

Yes! That would be awesome!
        Considering this is the exact scene they're recreating it would be good to have. Either way I can't think of any other switch outs.

Comment

Ya, that totally makes sense to me as well. That would be a terrific EX extra.

Comment

Maybe a flaming sword

Comment

May the best dwarf win! Indeed leds on the ghosts would be macabrely cool, please execute.

Comment

I must admit I thought the Army of the Undead () on the base were a bit much to begin with, but I've watched the video a few times (admittedly on mute a couple of those), and it's REALLY grown on me. I imagine it more of them coming *through* the base, and having watched the actual scene again it has a great feel to it. Not only that but this is undoubtedly the best Aragorn sculpt I've ever seen.

Comment

Good comeback for the bases. I personally like the concept behind them if not the whole execution. Balrog is awesome as is the Fell Beast at Osgilliath piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
                    I must admit I thought the Army of the Undead () on the base were a bit much to begin with, but I've watched the video a few times (admittedly on mute a couple of those), and it's REALLY grown on me. I imagine it more of them coming *through* the base, and having watched the actual scene again it has a great feel to it. Not only that but this is undoubtedly the best Aragorn sculpt I've ever seen.
                    I agree .... I have the Amon Hen Aragorn and it’s fantastic but I think this Prime 1 Aragorn edges Weta’s Amon Hen.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

Probably the reason my OCD with the look of the weapons continues. If you look closely at the quillions on Anduril, they are bent downward.

I know, talk about the nitpick of nitpicks, but as I said, for the kind of money you will pay for these things, no aspect of these statues should have the quality of a cheap toy. Not even close.
                      Strangely enough, my other half picked up on the sword thing too.
                      He hates my hobby lol, but I somehow got him to watch the YouTube video of these reveals and even a video of Primes Jurassic statues. I caught him at a good time just after dinner when he couldn’t be bothered to move lol. He calls all the statues crap, but did at least admit he can admire the Weta ones as they are ‘quite detailed and well made’!
                      I did say the Prime1 statues are very detailed too, but he also doesn’t like the bases and the over-exuberant look of the whole thing.
                      He’s told me in no uncertain terms that I will not own a Prime1 statue

Comment

I could be wrong, but I recall the teaser video for the Balrog one, had a light-up for Gandalf's staff. Am I wrong???
                        Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

Good idea Anubis on re watching the video on mute. I might try that now.

I think the Fellbeast is still my fav although that Aragorn is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Radagaster View Post
                            I could be wrong, but I recall the teaser video for the Balrog one, had a light-up for Gandalf's staff. Am I wrong???
                            I believe that you are correct. The crystal on Gandalf's staff does light up.

It's kind of amazing how polarizing these bases are. You either love them or you hate them, doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to Primes bases.

Comment

It's kind of amazing how polarizing these bases are. You either love them or you hate them, doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to Primes bases.
                              I'm not amazed at all because the bases themselves don't really have a middle ground. I hesitate to use the term 'over-the-top' because I want everyone to understand that I mean this as a criticism of the style of base, not the personal taste or judgement of those that do like them. Yet I can't deny that for me, they're ultra busy, loud, and absolutely in your face.

As you said before, they make a statement alongside the statue itself, but subtle they are not. It really does leave little room for that middle ground you mention, which means the feelings associated with it will tend to extremes as well, not just a "meh" feeling of indifference.

Comment

I watched the video again and that base is starting to grow on me..... Maybe it was having it on mute and not being distracted by the ‘undead’ tag over and over

Comment

It certainly seems that way! It's purely personal taste obviously, and I think the statues themselves are both top notch from either company.

My reasoning for the strong polarization when it comes to the bases is that Weta and Prime seem to have markedly different approaches.

Weta have always leaned towards the simpler, minimalistic "less is more" approach. I think this serves two purposes:

Firstly, the base doesn't distract from the statue, it's almost non-existent, making the statue the sole focus, which leads to the second purpose, bringing the viewer into the scene and the illusion that you're actually in Middle Earth. I think this becomes more apparent in the pieces where Weta have included some scenery. It's always very realistic scenery, as if they've actually grabbed the chunk of scenery the character is standing on, straight out of the scene, adding to the feel you're in the scene itself.

The contrast in style is really apparent here, when comparing the Lurtz bases from Weta and Prime:

Weta's scenic bases are solely focused on realism, whereas Prime tend to really jam pack as many elements as possible into each base, which is great value for money, and seems intended as a more extensive multi-element homage than an actual realistic scene itself.

Which brings us to Prime's trademark style, which is more a statement as a monument-style centrepiece sculpture, hugely impressive and demanding attention. Their bases seem to be an intentional feature, incorporated to be just as impressive as the statue itself.

So basically, Weta seem to be going for a more elegant "high art" feel, maybe to reflect the grace and characteristic English understatement apparent in Tolkien's works, whereas Prime's pieces tend to have that American Hollywood blockbuster "pull-out-all-the-stops/go-hard-or-go-home" feel, filled with a near-infinite amount of elements aimed to completely blow you away, and leave your jaw on the floor.

At least that's my take on things anyway. Two completely opposite styles!

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

At least Valar can finally acknowledge how wrong he was about the Balrog's scale. Just picture that Gandalf as being one of the 1:6 Weta pieces and think how big that Balrog would be by comparison.
                                  Yes you're right Val, hmmm... so instead of 3x Gandalf's height, he's 4x Gandalf's height here...

4 x 34cm = 136cm

So just a bit taller than Treebeard then!

You should know by now there's no chance of talking me out of it

Comment

Very good points, Valar and Valkrist. Couldn't have said it better.

Personally I don't have a problem with mixing the two extremes, I think that it adds a lot of variety and depth to a collection. No driving down the highway at night falling asleep as the same white lines whip passed in your headlights, there is always something different popping up to keep your mind alert.

Comment

No falling asleep in your collection room is a very good policy to have

Comment

Pics by @Ihimces813 :

Comment

Balrog and Gandalf its just fantastic!
                                          "I would have gone with you to the end,into the very fires of mordor"

Comment

Working...
                                          X