PRIME 1 studio (1/4 scale) LOTR line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm.... I’m not sure what to say or how I feel to be honest.

Aragorn - what a great great sculpt. How I wish Weta’s last Aragorn was this statue. I would totally have gone for it. But that base. I’m not sure I can get past that. Does anyone think that it will arrive like the Weta statues where you put it together. Meaning I could perhaps display Aragorn on a different base?

Balrog v Gandalf - really torn here..... ummm.
    It is amazing. I’m not keen on the flaming sword but the guy did say they would have switch out weapons - which can only mean a whip. But
    there are things I don’t like about it and they are quite irrational. Like the fact that the bridge is broken behind Gandalf and that he is standing quite close to the Balrog side of the bridge. The dwarven carvings seem out of place. the platform below with the bones - I would have preferred the sense of a cavernous drop. Like I said - very personal gripes and irrational. But the sense I got when I saw it was not overwhelming love. Which I expected. Since I am trying to be more selective with my statues due to space. I think I may have to pass.

Comment

Do folks realize the ghosts are passing thru the base? I found it a clever idea, it adds to the piece without becoming too intrusive as ghosts running with him from his back like on the movie. I prefer with ghosts than without ghosts. What say you?

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
        Do folks realize the ghosts are passing thru the base? I found it a clever idea, it adds to the piece without becoming too intrusive as ghosts running with him from his back like on the movie. I prefer with ghosts than without ghosts. What say you?
        The King of the Dead laughs as his army begins to fade.....

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
          Yep, it's an amazing base and I can't stop looking at it. I've most likely watched that video a dozen times today.

Comment

I've slept about it for one night now. The bases are the things that bother me about the statues.
            I also have the feeling that many things are not accurate and are out of place. Everything seems to be overloaded, sometimes less is more.
            When I watch the video it looks like a lot of PVC and not a high quality polystone.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
              it looks like a lot of PVC and not a high quality polystone.
              Probably the reason my OCD with the look of the weapons continues. If you look closely at the quillions on Anduril, they are bent downward.

I know, talk about the nitpick of nitpicks, but as I said, for the kind of money you will pay for these things, no aspect of these statues should have the quality of a cheap toy. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post
                Hmmm.... I’m not sure what to say or how I feel to be honest.

Balrog v Gandalf -
                I think I may have to pass.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	5F133E9A-275A-4B9D-ADDE-62A87D814385.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	183864

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

Probably the reason my OCD with the look of the weapons continues. If you look closely at the quillions on Anduril, they are bent downward.

I know, talk about the nitpick of nitpicks, but as I said, for the kind of money you will pay for these things, no aspect of these statues should have the quality of a cheap toy. Not even close.
                  I think we are sitting in the same boat my friend.

Comment

I know Prime1 does a DX and non DX version, but I kind of wish the non DX version would just be the statue with a much smaller and simpler base, instead of some accessories not being there. Like this:

I'd order the statue without the humongous and quite tacky base. Looks like I'll just be waiting for another Weta Balrog.

I don't hate the base on Aragorn as much, but I don't love the portrait shown yet, but he did say there would be switch out options, so lets wait and see. I love Weta's Amon-Hen Aragorn, so it's not a definite must buy for me.

Comment

I'm not a violent person, but man I wanna bitchslap this annoying guy in the video so bad..
                      My Gallery: http://flameofudun.net/forum/communi...ooms-creations

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Malcolm View Post
                        I'm not a violent person, but man I wanna bitchslap this annoying guy in the video so bad..
                        he is not a middle earth fan, you can hear that.

Weta musst bring out now a Master Collection Balrog,it is time now Weta!

Comment

Lol. It annoyed me when he kept referring to the Undead. Hmmm....... I guess he is just doing his job. I’d be that bad if I had to refer to Disney characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post
                            Lol. It annoyed me when he kept referring to the Undead. Hmmm....... I guess he is just doing his job. I’d be that bad if I had to refer to Disney characters.
                            You'd probably done some fact checking beforehand if you were to present it for a big company.

Comment

I for myself absolutely love, love, love all that I've seen from Prime 1 so far in regards to LotR.

Especially Aragorn, who looks absolutely fantastic! I don't get all the negative remarks about the base. First off, big and elaborated bases are a trademark of Prime 1's Art. Almost all statues have those and I personally like it.
                              Second of all, I don't see Aragorn standing "above" the King of the Dead. Instead I see this quite methaphorical, as he commands them and therefore "stands above them". Anyway, the statue looks awesome!

The Balrog Dio gets also pure love from me. I don't care if there were dwarven carvings under the bridge or not. Case in point, in Moria (the dwarven kingdom) that very well could have been the case. Good enough for me. Also, I don't see the bridge "broken off" behind Gandalf. It merely is a way of limiting the statue in size a bit, just like Wetas Bridge & Mill environment, that bridge is also not "broken".

Now how to save up another 5.000+ until the end of next year...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingFool View Post
                                I for myself absolutely love, love, love all that I've seen from Prime 1 so far in regards to LotR.

Especially Aragorn, who looks absolutely fantastic! I don't get all the negative remarks about the base. First off, big and elaborated bases are a trademark of Prime 1's Art. Almost all statues have those and I personally like it.
                                Second of all, I don't see Aragorn standing "above" the King of the Dead. Instead I see this quite methaphorical, as he commands them and therefore "stands above them". Anyway, the statue looks awesome!

The Balrog Dio gets also pure love from me. I don't care if there were dwarven carvings under the bridge or not. Case in point, in Moria (the dwarven kingdom) that very well could have been the case. Good enough for me. Also, I don't see the bridge "broken off" behind Gandalf. It merely is a way of limiting the statue in size a bit, just like Wetas Bridge & Mill environment, that bridge is also not "broken".

+1

Comment

This is exactly what i was thinking and going to say after my second viewing of the video.

At first i did not like the base because i rather wanna see some sort of void under the bridge and Gandalf’s feet but maybe due to scale and the real environment size they had to do it that way .Not sure how good or weird that statue would look if that bridge was a bit longer and Gandalf more distant with the Balrog ?
                                  That piece is growing on me,not saying is def a must have for me but depending on the next reveals and the MC by Weta i will know and decide the one to get.

Amazing Aragorn statue too, that base is a bit strange but really cool.Love what they have done on it....

Comment

Excellent post.

Comment

My thoughts exactly

Comment

The bases are one of the reasons I love Prime1's work so much. They are pieces of art in their own right.

So what do you think the EX extras will be for Aragorn? A switch-out portrait?

Comment

I don't know what could be added to this scene. Possibly a screaming Aragorn head or light up feature ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X