Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentile
    replied
    "I think this is the only scene that I hate from the lord of the rings" "legolas snowboarding on the shield with that tryunphant music on the background like if it was the most amazing thing that you´ll ever see" I remember to feel nothing but embarrassment when I first saw that scene on the cinema. "pure trauma guys" it still hurts" "a lot"...

Leave a comment:

• Fredrik Felagund
    replied
    Originally posted by Stig View Post

How is it ranked compared to the the oliphant trunk surfing scene?
    Nooooooooo!!!! Don't remind me!!! It took me years to purge those images from my mind...

*weeping*

/ Best regards, Fredrik

Leave a comment:

• Elessar
    replied
    Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Oh, I'm thinking so hard that I've got a low grade headache all the time. I decided to cut out all of my collection on butcher paper two dimensionally, height and width (the depth is just written on each paper), so that I can go down into my display room and lay my collection out on the walls and get a real visual of what kind of space my collection is really going to take up in it's current form. Having all of the pieces and their measurements on a MS Word file all these years just wasn't giving me a real feel for how they would all look in the space that I have. For me, when I look at numbers on a page, say 18.5" H x 11.5" W x 12" D, I just can't get my head around it enough to see it on the wall. But if I cut it out in paper, I can physically see it's actual size. It's a colossal undertaking, I have 266 pieces just from the FOTR. The TT and ROTK pieces will have to wait because if I can't make the FOTR work, I'm never going to get those TT and ROTK pieces to work. I've almost got most of them cut out and I'm terrified by the stack of paper cutouts that I have on my table and just how I'm going to fit all of that into the space I have in a way that appeals to me. I think 20 years of collecting has gotten me in trouble.

I get it. Anytime I think about moving my stuff around or think about how I'm gonna get to expand into my basement more. I break out into a sweat. That's actually a really good idea. Xbox did something similar with the new system. They will let you print off a paper cut out of the new system so you can put it together and figure out where you want to put it. So I think doing that is smart because it's going to allow you to lay things out and know where you want things without getting surprised about all of a sudden being out of room.

Leave a comment:

• Ithildin
    replied
    Originally posted by Elessar View Post

Thanks and that makes two of us. Just in a bit of a holding pattern.

Yeah these larger scale pieces that have started to come out over the last few years have done that to folks. It’s really all about what you want things to be. I think for me I want a little diversity in my collection but am always impressed when I see someone go a different route. Before dropping a plan that long in the making I would definitely think about it pretty hard.

Oh, I'm thinking so hard that I've got a low grade headache all the time. I decided to cut out all of my collection on butcher paper two dimensionally, height and width (the depth is just written on each paper), so that I can go down into my display room and lay my collection out on the walls and get a real visual of what kind of space my collection is really going to take up in it's current form. Having all of the pieces and their measurements on a MS Word file all these years just wasn't giving me a real feel for how they would all look in the space that I have. For me, when I look at numbers on a page, say 18.5" H x 11.5" W x 12" D, I just can't get my head around it enough to see it on the wall. But if I cut it out in paper, I can physically see it's actual size. It's a colossal undertaking, I have 266 pieces just from the FOTR. The TT and ROTK pieces will have to wait because if I can't make the FOTR work, I'm never going to get those TT and ROTK pieces to work. I've almost got most of them cut out and I'm terrified by the stack of paper cutouts that I have on my table and just how I'm going to fit all of that into the space I have in a way that appeals to me. I think 20 years of collecting has gotten me in trouble.

Originally posted by FlyingFool View Post

Me too! This is just fantastic, on so many levels. Their Legolas is absolutely awesome, will surely buy it. I have Sauron and Aragorn on PO already. Good thing that it'll take a while before they arrive, as I have to put some serious thought into my current collection and space.

I could very well see me going full P1 from now on and will not have to be so upset over Wetas ever so often "rise in production costs" anymore.

I can still see me picking up some pieces from Weta still in the future. I love the MC line and I still want to pick up 1/6 pieces that I fall in love with but at this point Prime really has my attention, I've always been a nut for 1/4 scale. When SS ended it's 1/4 line it was a sad day for me. I've always loved Prime 1 ever since they hit the market about 8 years ago. I just didn't have enough money to do LOTR and something else, so I had to focus solely on the LOTR. Now that Prime has jumped in, it has removed that stumbling block and allowed me to dive into the amazing world that is Prime 1.

Originally posted by Starcadian View Post

The only thing I thought was kind of strange is that it looks like the Uruk Hai that apparently got one of Legolas' arrows to his throat, is toward the back of the statue? Unless you have a rotating turntable you probably won't see much of him unless you angle Legolas' back toward you, which seems like an unnatural inclination for the pose?

I saw that as well but luckily I am going to be able to display a lot of these as stand alone pieces on their own pedestals so that you can walk 360 degrees around them and just soak the detail in.

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

Exactly the same for me... I love diorama style statues for the story they tell and all the detail... and as Weta move ever more in that direction I have to decide if I go with them, and if I do I'll have to sell most of my collection I've been building up since 2002, but then I think I'm not willing to do that because one of the main pulls for me is that the SSW collection were made at the same time as the films and they had the original sculptors working on them, yes some of those people are still there but they have that timeless feel for me.
    So I think I'm going to be happy with a very select few larger statues, like Treebeard and Bilbo at writing desk, with maybe a couple others like hobbits hiding from the Nazgul or a diorama of Gollum leading Frodo and Sam over the dead marshes, iconic images.

As for Legolas, I wonder if the base will be him skateboarding down the stairs shooting at the uruks? ?

That's what is making it so hard for me as well. I have a lot of the same attachment to those older pieces as you do and I just don't want to let them go.

Leave a comment:

• Stig
    replied
    Originally posted by Fredrik Felagund View Post
    Legolas looks good... from the waist up. That shield surfing scene, however, is one of my least favourite in the LotR movies.
    More money saved :-)

/ Best regards Fredrik
    How is it ranked compared to the the oliphant trunk surfing scene?

Leave a comment:

• Fredrik Felagund
    replied
    Legolas looks good... from the waist up. That shield surfing scene, however, is one of my least favourite in the LotR movies.
    More money saved :-)

/ Best regards Fredrik

Leave a comment:

• FrodoEyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Stig View Post

Is the question if this is Legolas from The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings?
    I am not sure if Prime 1 has The Hobbit licenses
    Definately LOTR because it’s based from Helms Deep, has Rohan armour including a Rohan sword, and the fellowship eleven brooch and Lorien cloak

Leave a comment:

• Cliperión
    replied
    By the way, Legolas looks very good! looking forward to seeing more photos ... and knowing, how will the exclusive ...

The base also seems to be recharged and looks very cool ... I like it!
    Last edited by Cliperión; 25 September 2020, 04:50.

Leave a comment:

• Plat
    replied
    The Weta statues are designed by original artists and especially expensive lines have a lower edition ,the exellent service,that you shouldn't forget, everything needs to be paid for. To be honest, this whole comparison annoys me, let's talk about each individual statue and let's stop to speak every thread about P1 vs Weta..

I don't also keep saying that I don´t like the plastic doll faces of the P1 statues.
    Last edited by Plat; 25 September 2020, 04:21.

Leave a comment:

• RandyBaggins
    replied
    This Lego looks a bit too chunky to be the LOTR Orlando. It looks more like the Orlando from the Hobbit.

Leave a comment:

• Cliperión
    replied
    80% of my collection are weta figures and I love them ... But, their prices are rising rapidly in recent years ... and in some figures, the quality control is not too good ... I am waiting for a Galadriel's replacement for more than a month and I'm worried, if it comes back to me with failures ... and it's not exactly cheap ... it's a figure of 600 euros

I am not saying that Prime1 parts are cheap, nor that they all arrive perfect ... But generally, they are painted, similar to the prototype, and your quality control is good...

How much will the new cave troll cost? And the most important thing for me ... what quality will it have in its painting, when we receive it at home?

And I ask this, because I can buy the new Prime1 Uruk Hai for 1250 euros ( and is also an incredible figure ) ... and surely its painting and quality will be very good, like most of the pieces from this Company ...

I am happy to have so many good weta figures, but they should have better quality control and adjust their prices, if they really want to compete with companies like Prime1 .. that although it offers an expensive product, it also offers good quality .. and that is, in my opinion, almost the most important ...

And what do I mean by this?

Well, if weta offers us the cave troll for 1000-1250 euros, (what the uruk hai de prime1 costs), I could think what figure to buy, if I can't buy both ... But if the cave, it's much more expensive and if I have doubts about its quality control ... my scale may lean towards prime1 ... Of course, I am talking if you like both figures equally ...
    Last edited by Cliperión; 25 September 2020, 03:19.

Leave a comment:

• Elessar
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcadian View Post

In my humble opinion, yes I think Prime 1 is offering much better value for the money. You make the point that these are cheaper than the MC's and most likely the new "premium" line as well, but more expensive than anything else Weta has done. Yes that's true, but Weta also makes 1/6 pieces, Prime 1 makes 1/4. You can't compare them directly as they are completely different scales. Obviously bigger statues cost more. Not to mention Weta's bases are pretty bare and simple where as (for better or worse) Prime 1's are much more elaborate and detailed. The Aragorn base itself could easily be a full Weta statue. I understand that the styling, particularly of these bases, are not for everyone. I completely understand and respect that. The Sauron base is still too big for my taste. Taste and style, a particular pose etc all of course are very subjective to any particular person, and we use that to make the decision whether it's worth it for us to purchase any particular statue. But I think looking objectively at these Prime 1's, for the size and detail, in my opinion, they out pace the class, especially Weta. Not cheap - but better value. That is of course, respectfully my opinion.
    Perceived value by any of us isn't at my point. That's a much different and subjective thing. Ok so let's take the other Weta stuff out my point is still valid but for the sake of this let's just stick to the premium pieces/MC vs P1 stuff. Yes, it appears on a whole that P1 pieces will be cheaper than the MC pieces we don't know on as a whole on premium pieces because we've had one maybe (Witch-king/Frodo?). That being said I think everyone can agree the MC pieces are expensive (if we're sticking to just these larger scale because my family would say all my collection is expensive ). If folks are going to be honest and say that about Weta but not about P1 there's an issue here. P1 stuff is expensive. Collectors may feel great value in them which is different but they're expensive even if it's only slightly less so than say Weta's MC line. So all I'm saying is that if we are going to call out Weta for being expensive folks need to do the same with P1 because they are also expensive. That's all because as we've both said value is subjective to that person.

I fully understand the point you're making. Nobody would say that Prime 1 statues are cheap, of course. Hell no, they're really expensive. And yes, even more expensive than a lot of Wetas pieces. BUT, as I said, for me personally I see better value for my money in them than in Weta statues nowadays. Them being in 1/4 scale make them even more "price-worthy" to me. That's my own humble opinion, I fully respect everyone who has the same favor towards Weta. Also I don't think that Weta makes less quality statues, I like them very much, too. I just think that they are getting too expensive for what they're offering.

All good, friend
    Good. That's my whole point is that we just need to be honest that both are expensive. If we're going to call out one for it he other should get it as well, imo. I also think we need to do a better job of using the term value in place of expensive. That may just be me. I'm with ya. I like a couple of P1 things they're doing some interesting stuff and folks know I love Weta and most of what they do. I'm not gonna dare knock someone for liking either company. I just kind of wanted to speak out on the criticism I've seen of Weta's prices and the pass P1 seems to be getting.

Thank you my friend.

Leave a comment:

• FlyingFool
    replied

The problem is that is all personal individual thing though as far as bang for your buck, what we see in a piece, is there value, etc. I’m strictly talking about the prices each company is charging for their product. Both of them are charging premium prices for their collectibles. One cannot act like Weta is gouging folks for their pieces and P1 is selling theirs for next to nothing when both are selling some pieces for 1k dollars or more. That’s my only point.
    I fully understand the point you're making. Nobody would say that Prime 1 statues are cheap, of course. Hell no, they're really expensive. And yes, even more expensive than a lot of Wetas pieces. BUT, as I said, for me personally I see better value for my money in them than in Weta statues nowadays. Them being in 1/4 scale make them even more "price-worthy" to me. That's my own humble opinion, I fully respect everyone who has the same favor towards Weta. Also I don't think that Weta makes less quality statues, I like them very much, too. I just think that they are getting too expensive for what they're offering.

Let me also point out if you do feel better bang for your buck with P1. That’s valid and awesome for you or anyone. Please understand I’m not attacking that or questioning it.
    All good, friend

Leave a comment:

• FlyingFool
    replied
    Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
    As for Legolas, I wonder if the base will be him skateboarding down the stairs shooting at the uruks?
    Yes it is. They adapted the scene from Helms Deep. You can see the base right here in the P1 showcase video from last night:

https://youtu.be/vyWt66HDHCo?t=7342

Leave a comment:

• Stig
    replied
    Originally posted by Idril View Post
    Looks great I think. Does he have a sword?!?
    Is the question if this is Legolas from The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings?
    I am not sure if Prime 1 has The Hobbit licenses

Leave a comment:

• FrodoEyes
    replied
    Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Ya, that's an amazing piece and I hope you get it.

I have been thinking of late of moving to these larger pieces and really changing the makeup and look of my collection. That would mean selling a good part of it, something I never thought I would ever do. Fewer pieces but real showstoppers. I just don't know what I'm going to do for sure, I'm pretty confused right now on the direction I want to go. It's kind of unsettling because for the last 18 years or so I've just had this vision of what I thought I wanted my collection to look like but Prime 1 has come in with these masterpieces and with Wetas MC's, it's really stood that vision on it's ear.
    Exactly the same for me... I love diorama style statues for the story they tell and all the detail... and as Weta move ever more in that direction I have to decide if I go with them, and if I do I'll have to sell most of my collection I've been building up since 2002, but then I think I'm not willing to do that because one of the main pulls for me is that the SSW collection were made at the same time as the films and they had the original sculptors working on them, yes some of those people are still there but they have that timeless feel for me.
    So I think I'm going to be happy with a very select few larger statues, like Treebeard and Bilbo at writing desk, with maybe a couple others like hobbits hiding from the Nazgul or a diorama of Gollum leading Frodo and Sam over the dead marshes, iconic images.

As for Legolas, I wonder if the base will be him skateboarding down the stairs shooting at the uruks?

Leave a comment:

• Starcadian
    replied

I’m glad you like what you’re seeing and that this looks like is a dream piece. Can I kind of call out a bit of an odd point in this post though? This guys probably gonna be $1k or around that. Am I missing a universe where that isn’t a little bit of an insane number? Yes, I get it’s cheaper than any of Weta’s MC pieces and most likely the new CT. However, it’s gonna be more expensive than everything else that has come out from Weta, right? I’m all for folks not liking a price on a piece from Weta, but let’s not act like Prime is giving stuff away for pennies on the dollar either.
    In my humble opinion, yes I think Prime 1 is offering much better value for the money. You make the point that these are cheaper than the MC's and most likely the new "premium" line as well, but more expensive than anything else Weta has done. Yes that's true, but Weta also makes 1/6 pieces, Prime 1 makes 1/4. You can't compare them directly as they are completely different scales. Obviously bigger statues cost more. Not to mention Weta's bases are pretty bare and simple where as (for better or worse) Prime 1's are much more elaborate and detailed. The Aragorn base itself could easily be a full Weta statue. I understand that the styling, particularly of these bases, are not for everyone. I completely understand and respect that. The Sauron base is still too big for my taste. Taste and style, a particular pose etc all of course are very subjective to any particular person, and we use that to make the decision whether it's worth it for us to purchase any particular statue. But I think looking objectively at these Prime 1's, for the size and detail, in my opinion, they out pace the class, especially Weta. Not cheap - but better value. That is of course, respectfully my opinion.

As per Legolas, I love it. I don't have a 1/4 Legolas yet and I've eagerly been looking forward to this reveal as he will pair excellently with the new Aragorn. I for one think the face sculpt is great, he really looks alive in my eyes. The only thing I thought was kind of strange is that it looks like the Uruk Hai that apparently got one of Legolas' arrows to his throat, is toward the back of the statue? Unless you have a rotating turntable you probably won't see much of him unless you angle Legolas' back toward you, which seems like an unnatural inclination for the pose?

Leave a comment:

• Elessar
    replied

Good point, Josh. The answer for me personally is, that I have a way better "bang for the buck" feeling than with the recent Weta releases. Sure, 1000 Dollars is a lot of money but with Prime 1 I see where that money went into. With Weta, not anymore, sorry. And I'm not talking the MC line, which is ridiculously overpriced, imho. Even the constant price rises for the "normal" 1/6 statues are not justified for me. And when we look at the price of WiKi/Frodo I would choose a P1 statue over this any day.

What also helps me justifying the price is the fact that these statues are in 1/4 scale, not 1/6.

Just my 2cents.
    The problem is that is all personal individual thing though as far as bang for your buck, what we see in a piece, is there value, etc. I’m strictly talking about the prices each company is charging for their product. Both of them are charging premium prices for their collectibles. One cannot act like Weta is gouging folks for their pieces and P1 is selling theirs for next to nothing when both are selling some pieces for 1k dollars or more. That’s my only point.

Let me also point out if you do feel better bang for your buck with P1. That’s valid and awesome for you or anyone. Please understand I’m not attacking that or questioning it.

Leave a comment:

• Idril
    replied
    Looks great I think. Does he have a sword?!?

Leave a comment:

• FlyingFool
    replied
    Regarding cost, I would assume that Legolas will cost the same as Aragorn. They are similar in detail and both come with huge & detailed bases.

Now, Gimli at Balins tomb next, please

Leave a comment:

Working...
X