PRIME 1 studio (1/4 scale) LOTR line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post
    $2099 USD for Wonder Woman, and we are all complaining about Weta's prices. I know they are larger but really????
    Hmmm, not sure about others, but i never really complain about Weta's pricing. Not because i am rich (i can't afford many Weta statues too), but mostly because i know the labour fees in China. My company went to China to form a customer support center, 10 years ago, you will be amazed to know how much the labour fee / salary in China has increased since then. (and don't forget that RMB value has increased a lot compare to before too. All these factors added together will cause the final product price to be up a lot)

Most people complain about pricing by just looking at their own salary and comparing new statues with old statues' prices, but they neglected the increased of cost from the manufacturing side (and also the price to hire new sculptors or keep hiring the current sculptors. Same as us, sculptors hope to have better salary and year end bonus too, all of these are costs). IMO Weta control the pricing pretty good based on the quality vs price.

Originally posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I think it's a shame Weta did not move into this scale as ther is a market for 1/4 scale for sure. 1/4 scale seems to be moving through the gears some what and a scale which allows for some pretty mind blowing ideas. sideshows deadpool premium format is a good example. Prime 1 seems to produce some cool stuff, their Turtles were pretty epic. I wonder what their first three will be?

Sauron
    Ringwraith
    Gandalf
    Weta seems very worrying about pricing and care a lot about collectors on this forum. Instead of making bigger and more expensive statues, they choose to reduce the pricing by making smaller (1/30 scale) statues that more people can afford.

Anyway, i really hope Weta can consider to make huge statues again. I would prefer to get 1 high quality big statue rather than 10 small size statues with the same price.
    Last edited by KingKongCygor; 23 November 2016, 16:10.
    King Kong Never Dies!

Comment

Part of my collection has 1/4 figures of Strider, Legolas and Gandalf from NECA and they are damn nice. And I think they were around 50 or 60 bucks back in 2002.

So why does one need to charge ten times that?

Comment

Because Prime1 is light years ahead of NECA in terms of quality. Don't get me wrong, NECA makes very nice figures, and at a great price, but comparing them to a high-end manufacturer like Prime1 is a bit pointless. And this is 2016, not 2002. With inflation and rising costs of manufacturing in China, the prices have gone up slightly in the last 14 years

Comment

Originally posted by DarkShadow View Post
          Because Prime1 is light years ahead of NECA in terms of quality. Don't get me wrong, NECA makes very nice figures, and at a great price, but comparing them to a high-end manufacturer like Prime1 is a bit pointless. And this is 2016, not 2002. With inflation and rising costs of manufacturing in China, the prices have gone up slightly in the last 14 years
          Has inflation and the cost of living gone up ten times in that period? I think not - and its not even close.

So lets say the quality is better - so the price doubles from 60 to 120. And lets say the cost of living is double in that time also so now we are up to 240.

I could accept that.

Comment

Originally posted by wargrider View Post
            Amazing news, not for our wallet of course, but they have a quality that is really miles ahead of Sideshow,
            I believe it when I see it

Comment

High end collecting right there!
              P1 Studios make amazing statues!
              "If it bleeds, we can kill it"

Comment

Originally posted by gideon View Post

So lets say the quality is better - so the price doubles from 60 to 120. And lets say the cost of living is double in that time also so now we are up to 240.

I could accept that.
                I wish it was that simple (Btw, Did Neca made 1/4 scale Polystone Statues? Difference material cost difference too, like my country, import polystone material = charge 30% import tax, if it is plastic, 10% import tax.)

There are many factors that contributing to such a rise of pricing, you can't double up cost just like that.

1) Currency fluctuation. You got to know that, many years ago, 1 USD is equal to 8+ RMB, now it is around 6+. The difference here is HUGE when you are dealing with big amount of transactions.

2) China labour costs in some area had up to 3X more even in level 2-3 cities (level one is the highest cost cities like Shanghai / Beijing). So together with higher value of RMB, now oversea companies need to pay more than just 2X extra salary.

3) Cost for headquarter staff to fly over to China to check things, to make deals, to hire staff, cost of aeroplane ticket, the hotel costs, etc. These are all costs involved, and the costs of these things have all risen.

4) I am sure the cost to hire high quality sculptors have increased too. And companies might need to pay far a lot more to keep high quality sculptors in their companies, not to mention year end bonuses would increase too due to salary increased.

5) If companies have offices in China, the cost also increased. Last time may be you could rent an office with 1k usd per month (just an example), but now you won't be able to. (An idea for you to know how much a house costs in a China city i used to stay for a year, the house was sold for 700rmb, 2 years later, it was rmb1.5mil minimum)

6) Not sure if things like "License" to produce movie characters' statues have increased too or not. But i doubt it was never increase. This is extra cost too. (I think license could be one of the most expensive cost in this industry)

7) What about broken statues and these companies need to resend / replace a new one for customer? To cover this cost, they have to sell higher so they got extra money to cover such unseen cost.

Anyway, I am not talking good things for companies like Weta, Prime One ,etc or to encourage them to up the pricing of their products or making excuses for them to up the pricing, but i think we should not blame them just because we are not feeling happy with the pricing. In fact, some companies might be doing good job in controlling the pricing vs quality, but i guess many few of us collecotors would know and would keep complaining when we see pricing is up.
                King Kong Never Dies!

Comment

I don't even want to see them, as I know I would never be able afford them! ...

Comment

Originally posted by gideon View Post

Has inflation and the cost of living gone up ten times in that period? I think not - and its not even close.

I could accept that.
                    Neca 1/4 figures are 150-200 today (Joker 1/4 is 198$...)
                    And how can you compare plastic toys like Neca to high end resin statue like Weta or Prime1? I have Aragorn: yes very nice for the price, but no way you can put it aside Sideshow PF or another resin 1/4 statues ^^
                    Of course Prime1 statues are very expensive, but there is a market for these, it's business. But the quality of the final products they deliver is beyond all other manufacturers at the moment. Paint application is sometimes even better than on prototypes, so it demand probably at least twice the time compare to Sideshow products. So in the end it's normal they are more expensive than Side for exemple...

Comment

When do we expect to hear any updates on this?

Comment

Don't know, but not before 2nd half 2017 I guess...

Comment

I would imagine this would be a mid-2017 PO at the earliest with mid-2018 delivery or out from there. Their statues have been taking a while and have hit some delays but it's because they are very serious about their QC. Harley Quinn is delayed because a color was off so they corrected and started over. They have also announced many new licenses all at once so I'd expect LOTR to be spread out a bit hopefully.

Comment

Any news? I hope their first one is gonna be Sauron. SSW Sauron is a nightmare to find in good condition and I never liked the PF version's paintjob.

Comment

Im very Curious too - they are known for their excellent QC - Il gladst pay more for better qc!
                              And the bells shall ring in gladness, at the Mountain King’s return, But all shall fail in sadness, and the Lake will shine and burn.

Comment

Curious thing higher price and expected higher QC levels. I am expecting Chronicle Collectibles King Conan in March and he was a high price piece but there are already a few (very few) who have questioned QC on what seems to me very trivial points. It seems that high price items still may come with minor imperfections but because of the high price there seems to be a demand for 'perfection' which I think is unobtainable as it is an individual thing as to what perfect is.

Not sure there will be many made in this line as they will be pricey but SS had some grear pieces but couldn't sustain sales. Might be a line to get centre piece item from?

Comment

I'm both excited and frightened to see what Prime1 statues bring out in the LOTR line. Excited as Prime1 statues produce excellent pieces. Frightened as their price tag is a little rich for my blood and I'm sure I well want all they produce in this line.

Comment

Nothing exciting for me so far. We saw a banner of them doing LotR, that's it. Until I see something substantial, in the back of my mind there is a nagging voice: 'they might pull a Sideshow' = announce a license and never do anything with it.

Comment

Originally posted by egel View Post
                                      Nothing exciting for me so far. We saw a banner of them doing LotR, that's it. Until I see something substantial, in the back of my mind there is a nagging voice: 'they might pull a Sideshow' = announce a license and never do anything with it.
                                      It's true, they sometimes bail out of a license

Comment

Like The Hobbit, once they realised Weta were doing stuff and they'd get owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
                                          Curious thing higher price and expected higher QC levels. I am expecting Chronicle Collectibles King Conan in March and he was a high price piece but there are already a few (very few) who have questioned QC on what seems to me very trivial points. It seems that high price items still may come with minor imperfections but because of the high price there seems to be a demand for 'perfection' which I think is unobtainable as it is an individual thing as to what perfect is.

Not sure there will be many made in this line as they will be pricey but SS had some grear pieces but couldn't sustain sales. Might be a line to get centre piece item from?
                                          Hi Dave, SS did have some great pieces in their 1/4 scale range. It seems to me that the sales of them were very good as they are all sold out of every piece they ever made.

Maybe they didn't fly off the shelves like Marvel, DC and SW but they all sold none the less.

Comment

Working...
                                          X