New books, old books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Earl.Haig View Post

It really is! It is beautifully bound and designed (and has my favourite Tolkien drawing as the cover inset). Oh to have deep pockets!
    Isn't that the truth!!

There is one small blessing and that is your favorite Tolkien drawing is the entire cover of the hard back and paper back versions, and these are a lot less money.
    Although the title of the book does go through the picture.

https://www.bodleianshop.co.uk/books...dle-earth.html

Comment

• Tangentially relevant to Tolkien interests, Folio is releasing a limited edition of 'The Wanderer & Other Old-English Poems', illustrated, signed, and numbered by Alan Lee ~

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/WAN

30762875_2317216964958994_760878066649006080_o by L. Todd, on Flickr

30743578_2317217038292320_2937526969245368320_o by L. Todd, on Flickr

Comment

• What a great looking book Earl.Haig! If only I could win the lottery!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl.Haig View Post
          Tangentially relevant to Tolkien interests, Folio is releasing a limited edition of 'The Wanderer & Other Old-English Poems', illustrated, signed, and numbered by Alan Lee ~

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/WAN
          Ah, Folio Society - I've heard of this. The book looks amazing! I've watched some videos of people creating book covers and binding books recently on Youtube. This seems to be an emerging hobby. I had no idea how much work this is if you do it propely.

Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

Comment

• My favourite movie of all time will get an artbook!!! Actually this has been announced a year ago but slipped my attention (I still wonder how that could happen). I dreamt of such a book for more than a decade after I had seen the movie, and now it finally will become reality.

Kevin Conran’s Art of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Author: Kevin Conran, Shannon Eric Denton (ed.)

Hardcover, 240 pages, dimensions: 30.5 x 22.9 x 3.2cm. Language: English
            Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment, release: 30 April 2019, ISBN: 978-1524107475

The book will be published by Dynamite Entertainment, a company that is foremost a comic book publisher. They also publish artbooks of their comic properties mostly, but also for (vintage) video games, like their Art of Atari, which I like very much. But this seems to be their first movie artbook. I'm looking very much forward to it, because most movies get their art or making of books to promote their cinema releases. More often than not, these books tend to be more superficial and less honest than books that are released retrospective.

There's no information about the book on the Dynamite website yet.

This is the official info from Dynamite, published in July 2017:

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce that Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, the 2004 dieselpunk film written and directed by Kerry Conran and featuring the talented cast of Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Angelina Jolie, will be celebrated in a comprehensive art retrospective, personally curated by Sky Captain co-creator Kevin Conran and edited by Shannon Eric Denton.

Kevin Conran's Art of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow charts the revolutionary artistic contributions to the film by its principle visual architect, Sky Captain's co-creator Kevin Conran. The groundbreaking feature film, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, was the first of its kind - it completely embraced the look and feel of the old serials while pushing the boundaries of modern filmmaking technology. The film inspired a whole new generation of filmmakers to adopt their innovative techniques that are now commonplace in every studio feature being made in Hollywood and around the world.

This stunning collection will provide a comprehensive gallery of Kevin Conran's trailblazing illustrations and designs, including incomplete and unpublished work never-before-seen by the public at large! Kevin Conran's Art of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is the first official collection of such artwork. Sourced from his private collection, this book spans over 20 years of the movie's unique illustrations and includes behind-the-scenes details on how the movie was conceived of, illustrated, approved (or rejected), and brought to life. Whether you're a fan, collector, enthusiast, or new to the world of Sky Captain, this book offers the most complete collection of Sky Captain artwork ever produced!

Kevin Conran says, "After more than a decade of fan requests, I'm excited that Dynamite is helping Sky Captain take flight one more time."

"I've been honored to work with Kevin on several Hollywood projects, but as a huge fan of Sky Captain, I'm beyond thrilled to journey into this world one more time," says editor Shannon Eric Denton.

"We're delighted to be working directly with Kevin on this book, and be able to share much of the visual work he did that went into the creation of the movie with his brother Kerry," says Rich Young, Director of Business Development at Dynamite. "There is a treasure trove of material here, and fans of the movie will really enjoy the behind-the-scenes glimpses and story he'll be sharing."
            On a related note, it's worth mentioning Dynamite has/had John Carter, Warlord of Mars, and Dejah Thoris comic book series and "Sky Captain" creator Kerry Conran, after completing that movie, worked on a John Carter - Warlord of Mars movie project that never made it into production (the one, the infamous Harry Knowles from Ain't It Cool News also was involved in). If fate would grant me another wish, I'd ask for an artbook for this abandoned movie - God knows they had great designs for that project.
            Last edited by Homunculus1916; 20th September 2018, 10:13. Reason: release date pushed back

Comment

• After John Howe's sketchbook A Middle-earth Traveller due in early October, it seems we will get one from Alan Lee next year:

The Hobbit Sketchbook
              Author: Alan Lee

Hardcover, 168 pages, dimensions: 19.5 x 25.2cm. Language: English
              Publisher: HarperCollins, release: 3 October 2019, ISBN: 978-0008226749

This is all the information I found on this book. It's still more than a year away - and that is just the first release date we got
              (most distinguished publications want to be pushed to a later release date at least once or twice).
              Last edited by Homunculus1916; 6th July 2018, 11:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Homunculus1916 View Post
                After the John Howe's sketchbook A Middle-earth Traveller due in early October, it seems we will get one from Alan Lee next year:

The Hobbit Sketchbook

This is all the information I found on this book. It's still more than a year away - and that is just the first release date we got
                (most distinguished publications want to be pushed to a later release date at least once or twice).
                Will most likely be sold from Weta too

Comment

After the John Howe's sketchbook A Middle-earth Traveller due in early October, it seems we will get one from Alan Lee next year:

The Hobbit Sketchbook

Sounds good, love the one from LotR.

Comment

• WETA has released or announced statues/figures for Tomb Raider, Planet of the Apes, and Alita: Battle Angel at SDCC today. There are also a bunch of new books coming for these franchises. The first one is the artbook for the new Tomb Raider videogame that will be released in September.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: The Official Art Book

Author: Paul Davies, Martin Dubeau

Hardcover, 192 pages, dimensions: 30.2 x 22.9cm. Language: English
                    Publisher: Titan Books, release: 14 September 2018 (US: 18 September), ISBN: 978-1785659492

This is the third game from the reboot series with a younger, more anatomical correct Lara Croft. This time, Lara will rock the Central American jungle and bust one or two Maya temples. This is said to be the conclusion of Lara Croft’s origin story, where she will ultimately be forged into the Tomb Raider she is destined to be.

Paul Davies has already worked (among others) on most of the Assassin's Creed game artbooks, and Martin Dubeau ist the art director of the game from Eidos-Montréal. So this should be a excellent book. Like the other 2 Reboot-Lara and the Assassin's Creed artbooks, this will be a portrait-format book. I've always been a Tomb Raider fan - since the pixel-fest that was Tomb Raider 2, and I think, I have most of the artbooks, so I can't miss this one!
                    Last edited by Homunculus1916; 20th July 2018, 11:15.

Comment

• The Making of Planet of the Apes

Author: Jonathan Rinzler

Hardcover, 304 pages, dimensions: 27.9 x 26.7cm. Language: English
                      Publisher: Harper Design, release: 23 October 2018 (US), 15 November 2018 (UK), ISBN: 978-0062840622

For the fiftieth anniversary of the first Planet of the Apes movie starring Charlton Heston, we will get a massive "Making of" book by Jonathan Rinzler, the author of the equally massive & in-depth Making of Star Wars and Indiana Jones books. The description sounds like the book will cover only the first movie. The sample pages on the Edelweiss site promise a beautifully designed book and the often mentioned "never-seen-before" photographs and artwork. Some removable elements will also be included.
                      There are already quite a few books on the PotA movie series. My favourite is Planet of the Apes: The Evolution of the Legend by Jeff Bond and Joe Fordham, published in 2014 by Titan Books, which is an excellent overview of all the movies up to the 2014 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (the first WETA PotA movie). It looks at every aspect of this cultural phenomenon, lavishly illustrated, of course. But the 2018 book will definitely be much more detailed, so it's a must-have for me.
                      Last edited by Homunculus1916; 21st July 2018, 12:28.

Comment

• Baltimore, or the Steadfast Soldier and the Vampire

Comment

• Originally posted by Adolfo View Post
                          Baltimore, or the Steadfast Soldier and the Vampire
                          And did you like it? By the descriptions I found online, it sounds interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Mignola's raw style in graphic novels, but as illustrations for something like a gothic novel, it could be cool.

Comment

And did you like it? By the descriptions I found online, it sounds interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Mignola's raw style in graphic novels, but as illustrations for something like a gothic novel, it could be cool.
                            Yes I did like it very much....look forward to getting that POTA book too...

Finished a couple weeks ago The Devil in the White City...I love the history of the early Worlds fairs and this one dealt with the Chicago's Colombian Exposition of 1893 and the serial Killer that was present....loved it...heard Martin Scorsese wants to make it a film
                            Last edited by Minuialwen; 23rd July 2018, 21:38. Reason: merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Adolfo
                              Finished a couple weeks ago The Devil in the White City...I love the history of the early Worlds fairs and this one dealt with the Chicago's Colombian Exposition of 1893 and the serial Killer that was present....loved it...heard Martin Scorsese wants to make it a film
                              OMG, is this the guy with his murder hotel? That's an incredible real-life story! I recorded a documentary off TV about this. It would make an excellent movie, even more so with someone like Scorsese at the helm.

Funnily shortly after that documentary, I watched the animated Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, which has a similar theme (not exactly, but murder + World's Fair).

Comment

OMG, is this the guy with his murder hotel? That's an incredible real-life story! I recorded a documentary off TV about this. It would make an excellent movie, even more so with someone like Scorsese at the helm.

Funnily shortly after that documentary, I watched the animated Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, which has a similar theme (not exactly, but murder + World's Fair).
                                Yup ..H H Holmes...it was a great book

damnit..now I gotta contribute a lot more in this thread lol...I've read and own allotta books...around 5000 or so
                                Last edited by Minuialwen; 23rd July 2018, 21:41. Reason: Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Adolfo
                                  damnit..now I gotta contribute a lot more in this thread lol...I've read and own allotta books...around 5000 or so
                                  I'd definitely love to read more about your books and I don't think I'm the only one!

It's comforting to hear that there are still people around here who have more books in their collection than me .

Comment

• And now for the third and final book that accompanies the new WETA releases:

Alita: Battle Angel - The Art and Making of the Movie

Author: Abbie Bernstein

Hardcover, 224 pages, dimensions: 27.3 x 30.2cm. Language: English
                                    Publisher: Titan Books, release: 24 December 2018, ISBN: 978-1785658082

I'm looking forward to this movie for nearly a decade now, since James Cameron first expressed interest in adapting the Battle Angel Alita manga/anime. Due to Cameron's work on the Avatar movies, Robert Rodriguez took over the directing job. I sincerely hope this won't disappoint like Ghost in the Shell, where the behind-the-scenes stuff was far more interesting than the movie itself. We will see in December. But I think it's the right material for Rodriguez and also the cast includes Christoph Waltz and Jennifer Connelly, two great actors who are a joy to watch.
                                    There is not much known about the book yet. It will obviously be an art / 'making of' mix type of book with concept art, behind-the-scenes pictures and interviews with cast and crew. I hope for a detailed coverage of the technical side of the production. The book will definitely be worth a look, because author Abbie Bernstein's previous movie-books include The Art of Mad Max: Fury Road, The Great Wall: The Art of the Film, and Justice League: The Art of the Film, which were all great.

There's still a ton of new book releases for the rest of this year that I want to talk about, an epic Star Wars tome by Taschen, a big anniversary Marvel Studios book (actually two), many interesting Star Trek books, many books for new and some old video games, the books for the new Potterverse movie, and many, many others.. And when I'm done with that, there are so many great books I already got. I hope, I will be able to post on a more regular basis again, because there's no chance I will run out of material to write about any time soon..

Last edited by Homunculus1916; 22nd July 2018, 14:09.

Comment

Anything You Can Imagine: Peter Jackson & the Making of Middle-earth was slated for May, but as of now, 16 October 2018 is the new release date.

I guess they figured a date between the old April/May date and the October date would be the best, as this book is now in the stores .No I do not have it .Love to know what it is like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post

I guess they figured a date between the old April/May date and the October date would be the best, as this book is now in the stores .No I do not have it .Love to know what it is like.

Yes, Min, it looks like April/May was the UK (and Canada) release, as I got my copy around 1 May. Amazon.com still shows the book for pre-order and has a US release date of 16 October. Release dates are always a bit of a mystery, but it seems both dates are correct in this case.

I'm deeply ashamed to admit that my copy still sits on my shelf, unread. On initial glance it looked very old school, like a movie book from the 80ies - a massive reading book with only a small section of colour pictures in the middle. These pictures are nothing to get excited about, just a few behind-the-scens and publicity pics from LotR and The Hobbit, even less personal Peter Jackson pictures and some snapshots from/with the author on his set visits back in the day. I'm a bit disappointed about that. In 2018 I expect pictures to be presented in context, not in a picture section. Brian Sibley's Peter Jackson: A Film-Maker's Journey did way better in this regard (and it's even from the same publisher). I like the cover of Anything You Can Imagine very much, but apart from that, I'd prefer an e-book version of this for a better reading experience.

We also seem to get a paper back version in May 2019.

Comment

• Thanks so much Homunculus1916.
                                          So very kind of you to post so quickly after I inquired about the book.

For you to have only flipped through it says a lot about this book.
                                          How unfortunate that they didn't do a better job of this book. It had so much potential to be a fantastic book.

Comment

Working...
                                          X