• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Valkrist

• Mar 2019

Originally posted by Plat View Post

Europe
    Well, in that case, I'm guessing the European retailers are passing the cost of shipping onto you, the customer. It totally sucks but I don't see what other option they have.

Comment

• Sirjump
      • May 2015

If you want a "functioning" sword you get the Uruk Hai scimitar.

Comment

• Ithildin

• May 2015

Originally posted by Sirjump View Post
        If you want a "functioning" sword you get the Uruk Hai scimitar.
        That thing is brutal. I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

Comment

• Darkcorner
          • Mar 2021

I'd love to get a Simitar sometime.... It just looks amazing (does anyone know if it requires the same maintenance as other normal swords?)?

Comment

• Sirjump
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Darkcorner View Post
            I'd love to get a Simitar sometime.... It just looks amazing (does anyone know if it requires the same maintenance as other normal swords?)?
            Trying not to hijack this thread with another UC item, but the short answer: The scimitar is high carbon steel but it has a layer of paint on it so it doesnt need maintenance, except perhaps on the false edge. I use reneissance wax on the edge just in case. I think this weapon has the potential to be the most lethal if it's grinded to a proper edge.. it is brutal as Ithildin stated earlier.

Comment

• Darkcorner
              • Mar 2021

Trying not to hijack this thread with another UC item, but the short answer: The scimitar is high carbon steel but it has a layer of paint on it so it doesnt need maintenance, except perhaps on the false edge. I use reneissance wax on the edge just in case. I think this weapon has the potential to be the most lethal if it's grinded to a proper edge.. it is brutal as Ithildin stated earlier.
              Thanks for the enlightenment! If at all I venture into weapons this and Sting would be something I might start with.

Comment

• Valkrist

• Mar 2019

Are you sure that's paint? Kit said many years ago that the rust effect was achieved by burying all the blades in the dirt for a period of time before wrapping the hills and shipping them off. I've never done anything to mine and it looks the exact same as it did nearly 15 years ago when it came out. If anything it looks a little rustier, which is awesome.

Oh, and United hated having to call this thing a 'Scimitar'. It couldn't be further from one, but that's what Weta labelled it, and that's what they insisted it be sold as.

Comment

• Ithildin

• May 2015

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

Are you sure that's paint? Kit said many years ago that the rust effect was achieved by burying all the blades in the dirt for a period of time before wrapping the hills and shipping them off. I've never done anything to mine and it looks the exact same as it did nearly 15 years ago when it came out. If anything it looks a little rustier, which is awesome.

Oh, and United hated having to call this thing a 'Scimitar'. It couldn't be further from one, but that's what Weta labelled it, and that's what they insisted it be sold as.

Yep, the rustier the better for this one.

Comment

• Sirjump
                    • May 2015

You are most likely right. I haven't taken mine down from the wall in maybe 15 years so I just looked up at it and thought "paint". Too lazy to take it down even now

Comment

• Radagaster
                      • May 2015

So, if it's not a Scimitar, what would it be called then?
                      Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

• TMcLim

• Feb 2021

Originally posted by Radagaster View Post

Perhaps a cleaver?

Comment

• Valkrist

• Mar 2019

There is no analogous direct comparison to a real-world weapon, but it most closely resembles the shape and functionality of something like a falchion without the cross guard, or yes, an over-sized cleaver.

A scimitar traditionally has a much slender and longer blade, and has a very characteristic curve to it.

Comment

• Radagaster
                            • May 2015

Somehow calling their weapon a cleaver just doesn't roll off the mouth well. I agree and picture a scimitar to be like a middle-eastern curved sword.
                            Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

• Ithildin

• May 2015

Somehow calling their weapon a cleaver just doesn't roll off the mouth well. I agree and picture a scimitar to be like a middle-eastern curved sword.
                              The word machete kind of rolls off the tongue.

Comment

• TMcLim

• Feb 2021

It really is its own thing, I always thought but was just the perfect weapon for the uruks and for arming a army of them as quickly as possible. Just a flat bar with a edge and a spike, it doesn't get much more simple than that. But it works so well for those characters.

Comment

• Valar

• Jul 2017

It certainly is functional, that's for sure

Click image for larger version  Name:	multiple-uses-uruk-hai-scimitar-zohbugg-tumblr-14-5d19ebad334fe__605.jpg Views:	4 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	286344

Click image for larger version  Name:	multiple-uses-uruk-hai-scimitar-zohbugg-tumblr-4-5d19eb9da3ebf__605.jpg Views:	4 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	286345

Click image for larger version  Name:	multiple-uses-uruk-hai-scimitar-zohbugg-tumblr-6-5d19eba099e1d__605.jpg Views:	4 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	286346

Click image for larger version  Name:	multiple-uses-uruk-hai-scimitar-zohbugg-tumblr-7-5d19eba232768__605.jpg Views:	4 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	286347

Comment

• Valkrist

• Mar 2019

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

The word machete kind of rolls off the tongue.
                                    You mean... this guy?

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	286350

Comment

• Ithildin

• May 2015

You mean... this guy?

Click image for larger version