UMAN Studio - Witch-King

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

    GROND!
    I apologize for my overly delayed response Dave Mac; hope you are doing well. I will give you GROND!; but Morgoth/Melkor left that battle with Fingolfin with a permanent limp for the rest of his days; that has to count for something.
    Last edited by The Merovingian; 9 September 2021, 14:56.

    Comment


      Originally posted by The Merovingian View Post

      I apologize for my overly delayed response Dave Mac; hope you are doing well. I will give you GROND!; but Morgoth/Melkor left that battle with Fingolfin with a permanent limp for the rest of his days; that has to count for something.
      It does. It counts for epic tale telling

      Comment


        Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

        It does. It counts for epic tale telling
        I concur 100%!

        Comment


          I recently received mine, and I noticed some potential issues and wanted to see if other owners experienced this.

          1) Most concerning, I found small patches of a fuzzy white string-like substance. Most noticeably, this was on the tail, one of the legs and hoof, and a little patch under the chin. I’m not sure if this is mold of some kind or not.

          2) I have also noticed around these areas of fuzz some very fine white specks. They are smaller than a piece of styrofoam, but they don’t quite seem like paint chips.

          3) There is noticeable blotchy pattern on the lower half of the tail. It seems like a grayish/white blotches, but there are a lot. I’m not sure if this is intentional weathering/grime, but I felt like the color choice was odd if it were to be simulated dirt or dust. The pattern itself seemed a bit messy and haphazard.

          4) One of the horse spikes was slightly chipped. You could only notice from a foot away, but it was unfortunate. Also, there were a couple nicks in the paint on the side of the horse armor.

          I did not unbox the WK itself yet, because I was being cautious, so I have not examined it in detail yet.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by obotobon; 16 September 2021, 04:23.

          Comment


            Originally posted by obotobon View Post
            I recently received mine, and I noticed some potential issues and wanted to see if other owners experienced this.

            1) Most concerning, I found small patches of a fuzzy white string-like substance. Most noticeably, this was on the tail, one of the legs and hoof, and a little patch under the chin. I’m not sure if this is mold of some kind or not.

            2) I have also noticed around these areas of fuzz some very fine white specks. They are smaller than a piece of styrofoam, but they don’t quite seem like paint chips.

            3) There is noticeable blotchy pattern on the lower half of the tail. It seems like a grayish/white blotches, but there are a lot. I’m not sure if this is intentional weathering/grime, but I felt like the color choice was odd if it were to be simulated dirt or dust. The pattern itself seemed a bit messy and haphazard.

            4) One of the horse spikes was slightly chipped. You could only notice from a foot away, but it was unfortunate. Also, there were a few nicks and small chips in the paint on the side of the horse armor and one in the chain mail of the horse.

            I did not unbox the WK itself yet, because I was being cautious, so I have not examined it in detail yet.
            I'm sorry about the issues with your statue. I received my Witchking statue last Friday and I was extremely nervous unpacking each piece as I knew this statue has many sharp fragile points from the crown of the Witchking to the front armor portion of his steed and the upper back area of the orcs. I was lucky that no pieces were broken on the statue, but I did have a small issue with the base. I detected a wet spot of black residue on the back side of the base. Once I removed the residue, I saw that it was covering a small crevice inside of the base (see attached photo). I cleaned out the residue and removed it from inside of the crevice. My repair guy is coming by tomorrow to fill the hole with putty, sand over it and apply matching paint. I'm thinking this had to be a factory defect that they tried to remedy by using a cheap substance to cover it up instead of taking the time to fill the hole properly, sand and then apply paint. The factory workers may have been racing against a deadline, but that still is no excuse.

            Looking at your photos, I'm guessing before the paint could adequately dry there was dust and air particles floating in the air of the factory that adhered to areas on the statue itself. You mentioned mold and some of these factories are in areas where the humidity can be higher than normal which could potentially trigger mold growth if certain conditions exist regarding excess moisture inside of the factories (hypothesis only). Of course all of this is conjecture on my part, as I don't have enough facts regarding the factory process in order to speak using specifics.

            Regarding the spikes being chipped and the nicks on the steed.........Did you find any broken pieces inside of the box? If so, they could have broken off during transit. If you can't find any of the broken spikes or "nick pieces" inside the styrofoam packaging, it may mean that the statue was defective before it was placed in the styrofoam box for shipping; which in turn, means that it was missed by the respective quality control person. Again, this is conjecture on my part, as I don't have enough facts regarding the factory process in order to speak using specifics.
            Attached Files

            Comment


              Oh man, so sorry to see this. I could be wrong but I don't think I am, it's mold. I have seen this on statues before that have been stored in a damp location. I hope you can get this resolved.

              Comment


                Originally posted by The Merovingian View Post
                Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                Oh man, so sorry to see this. I could be wrong but I don't think I am, it's mold. I have seen this on statues before that have been stored in a damp location. I hope you can get this resolved.
                Thanks for your responses. I am being offered a return for refund or a $100 discount. This is probably serious enough to return right? There is no replacement and this will be my only chance to own this piece at the price I paid. I’m quite disappointed.

                I guess I’m wondering if I can clean it enough and if it will be safe around my other collectibles.
                Last edited by obotobon; 15 September 2021, 17:34.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by obotobon View Post



                  Thanks for your responses. I am being offered a return for refund or a $100 discount. This is probably serious enough to return right? There is no replacement and this will be my only chance to own this piece at the price I paid. I’m quite disappointed.

                  I guess I’m wondering if I can clean it enough and if it will be safe around my other collectibles.
                  If you're able to clean the mold off of the piece (maybe using a safe organic cleaning solution) I think you should be fine. You can hire someone to fix the broken spikes and nicks (should be a simple correction). This is an extremely rare, sought after piece and I would look at every option to have the piece corrected before possibly returning it. Hope that helps.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by The Merovingian View Post

                    If you're able to clean the mold off of the piece (maybe using a safe organic cleaning solution) I think you should be fine. You can hire someone to fix the broken spikes and nicks (should be a simple correction). This is an extremely rare, sought after piece and I would look at every option to have the piece corrected before possibly returning it. Hope that helps.
                    Thanks again for your reply and optimism. After difficult thought, I have decided to return it. I tried to look at the pieces again and deliberated for several hours last night. I noticed some pieces of debris that either looked like plant root or animal hair that was stuck to some of the paint. It was not a large amount but enough spread on certain parts of the piece that it was noticeable when I looked up close. The blotches on the tail still look unnatural and I probably would have to repaint that as well to get rid of the fine white specks (I couldn’t even rub it off with a gloved hand). Also there was a lot of the fuzzy substance in the fine crevices of the tail so I think it would’ve been quite laborious to fully remove.

                    I also re-examined some of the parts I thought were chips, but they were more mispaints so I took down those specific pictures in my previous post so I don’t wrongly disparage the piece.

                    I also finally took a look at the WK (didn’t assemble anything) and the middle spike of the crown was slightly crooked as well as the piece that goes down to protect his face (not sure of the technical term). That was kind of the final nail for me. It seems the crown is a softer plastic that I could heat and fix, but it was too much to fix at this point. Also the cape was a little too fuzzy towards his shoulders. Even though the cape is a felt material, it again seemed unintentional and something I would have to fix (and the idea of mold just kept looming in my mind). The armor is beautiful though and it’s what attracted me to this piece.

                    Overall, it was too many issues that added up. I didn’t want to have to put that much effort into it and still have a looming concern of the mold coming back, nor put my other statues and my health at risk. I don’t know if it’s just my mind, but I actually felt like my small collectibles room was harder to breathe comfortably in until I packed it up. Luckily my retailer is considerate and understanding and will issue a full refund. Again, I did not make this decision lightly. I have waited for this piece in anticipation and was even planning a new display for the past year. However, my space and budget is limited and if I’m not 100% at peace with the statue (especially with possible health concerns of mold mixed in), then I can’t justify keeping it. At best, it would’ve been the “spectacular piece with possible mold” in my collection and that wouldn’t do justice to it. I hope it can be fully cleaned and restored properly by the retailer, but if not, now there are only 299 good specimens out there.



                    Comment


                      Originally posted by obotobon View Post

                      Thanks again for your reply and optimism. After difficult thought, I have decided to return it. I tried to look at the pieces again and deliberated for several hours last night. I noticed some pieces of debris that either looked like plant root or animal hair that was stuck to some of the paint. It was not a large amount but enough spread on certain parts of the piece that it was noticeable when I looked up close. The blotches on the tail still look unnatural and I probably would have to repaint that as well to get rid of the fine white specks (I couldn’t even rub it off with a gloved hand). Also there was a lot of the fuzzy substance in the fine crevices of the tail so I think it would’ve been quite laborious to fully remove.

                      I also re-examined some of the parts I thought were chips, but they were more mispaints so I took down those specific pictures in my previous post so I don’t wrongly disparage the piece.

                      I also finally took a look at the WK (didn’t assemble anything) and the middle spike of the crown was slightly crooked as well as the piece that goes down to protect his face (not sure of the technical term). That was kind of the final nail for me. It seems the crown is a softer plastic that I could heat and fix, but it was too much to fix at this point. Also the cape was a little too fuzzy towards his shoulders. Even though the cape is a felt material, it again seemed unintentional and something I would have to fix (and the idea of mold just kept looming in my mind). The armor is beautiful though and it’s what attracted me to this piece.

                      Overall, it was too many issues that added up. I didn’t want to have to put that much effort into it and still have a looming concern of the mold coming back, nor put my other statues and my health at risk. I don’t know if it’s just my mind, but I actually felt like my small collectibles room was harder to breathe comfortably in until I packed it up. Luckily my retailer is considerate and understanding and will issue a full refund. Again, I did not make this decision lightly. I have waited for this piece in anticipation and was even planning a new display for the past year. However, my space and budget is limited and if I’m not 100% at peace with the statue (especially with possible health concerns of mold mixed in), then I can’t justify keeping it. At best, it would’ve been the “spectacular piece with possible mold” in my collection and that wouldn’t do justice to it. I hope it can be fully cleaned and restored properly by the retailer, but if not, now there are only 299 good specimens out there.


                      I totally understand and respect your decision. Good luck and you might come across an opportunity to secure another WK statue.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by obotobon View Post

                        Thanks again for your reply and optimism. After difficult thought, I have decided to return it. I tried to look at the pieces again and deliberated for several hours last night. I noticed some pieces of debris that either looked like plant root or animal hair that was stuck to some of the paint. It was not a large amount but enough spread on certain parts of the piece that it was noticeable when I looked up close. The blotches on the tail still look unnatural and I probably would have to repaint that as well to get rid of the fine white specks (I couldn’t even rub it off with a gloved hand). Also there was a lot of the fuzzy substance in the fine crevices of the tail so I think it would’ve been quite laborious to fully remove.

                        I also re-examined some of the parts I thought were chips, but they were more mispaints so I took down those specific pictures in my previous post so I don’t wrongly disparage the piece.

                        I also finally took a look at the WK (didn’t assemble anything) and the middle spike of the crown was slightly crooked as well as the piece that goes down to protect his face (not sure of the technical term). That was kind of the final nail for me. It seems the crown is a softer plastic that I could heat and fix, but it was too much to fix at this point. Also the cape was a little too fuzzy towards his shoulders. Even though the cape is a felt material, it again seemed unintentional and something I would have to fix (and the idea of mold just kept looming in my mind). The armor is beautiful though and it’s what attracted me to this piece.

                        Overall, it was too many issues that added up. I didn’t want to have to put that much effort into it and still have a looming concern of the mold coming back, nor put my other statues and my health at risk. I don’t know if it’s just my mind, but I actually felt like my small collectibles room was harder to breathe comfortably in until I packed it up. Luckily my retailer is considerate and understanding and will issue a full refund. Again, I did not make this decision lightly. I have waited for this piece in anticipation and was even planning a new display for the past year. However, my space and budget is limited and if I’m not 100% at peace with the statue (especially with possible health concerns of mold mixed in), then I can’t justify keeping it. At best, it would’ve been the “spectacular piece with possible mold” in my collection and that wouldn’t do justice to it. I hope it can be fully cleaned and restored properly by the retailer, but if not, now there are only 299 good specimens out there.


                        I feel for you. It's tough when you have been waiting for a highly anticipated piece and then you are confronted with this. I didn't want to say what I would have done before you made up your mind but I would have done the same thing and sent it back.

                        I purchased an old SS/Weta piece last year that was advertised as "New in box" and when I received it and opened up the flap on the art box I was confronted with a piece that had been stored in a very damp location and it was riddled with both black and white mold. It was so bad that the mold had eaten some of the inside of the cardboard art box. Luckily, I was so excited to receive it that I had opened it outside in my garage after I picked it up off my porch. Needless to say, a few photos were taken and it was immediately re-boxed and then sent back for a refund. There is no way I'm going to take the chance of that crud spreading in my home.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X