LOTR: Weapons and Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOTR: Weapons and Warfare

I just made a totally unexpected discovery when I popped in to my local secondhand bookstore, a book from 2003 back in the First Age of Weta!

I have many books like this from around that time, but wasn’t aware this one existed. And I certainly wasn’t expecting to find it here in my local bookshop!

The foreword by Christopher Lee is lovely

Not sure if any of you have the book also? I haven’t had the chance to read it yet, but I’ll let you know how it is.

There are some very nice photos and info on individual weapons and armour of all the races of Middle Earth so maybe I’ll post some more
    Last edited by Valar; 21 November 2019, 00:12.

I have that one too, marvellous book!

Comment

Oh and the predictive text function on my iPhone is questionable to say the least, whilst typing the title of this thread it very nearly became

“LOTR: Weapons and Warfarin”

?!

Originally posted by Earl.Haig View Post
      I have that one too, marvellous book!
      Yes it looks great, can’t wait to get further into it!
      Last edited by Valar; 21 November 2019, 00:23.

Comment

I have this book as well, but it's been several years (15???) since I read it. I remember loving it! Very detailed descriptions and pictures are included. Great find.

Comment

I came across this book about two years ago. Snapped it up instantly! Glad to hear it crossed your path too, Valar.

Speaking of LOTR books, I think it's time I bought DF huge Middle-earth work. I hope it'll get discounted for the sale.

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

I have that book since it’s released here.Lot of interesting infos can be found inside.

@DD i do not own the « Middle-earth from script to screen » book yet and wished Weta would make a new batch of prop replicas set dressings by Daniel Reeve.I missed the exclusive and still regret it ....

Comment

I love this book. It's what got me interested in collecting prop replicas! After I went to college I thought I lost it, but last weekend after almost 10 years lost, it found its way back to me when my parents found a box of my old stuff in their attic. At that point I had already bought another copy because it was such a nostalgic read. So now I have two! Lol

Comment

Does the book talk much about all the swords from the film? I’m tempted to get one to read through.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
                  Does the book talk much about all the swords from the film? I’m tempted to get one to read through.
                  That's exactly what it is. Has some really good photos of the weapons from the films, artwork, and information about each group and their different styles of weaponry.

Comment

I love that book, one of my favourites.

If I have one criticism—and you just knew there had to be at least one—it's the odd decision to present the information in a pseudo-academic form, that pretends all the weapons and armour in the book are the actual products of archeological digs, and these are relics from the past that we are studying today. It's an interesting angle, but who are we kidding here? Despite us knowing that Tolkien wrote his story as a kind of pre-history of our times, I still find it all a bit silly and jarring to read. We know this is fantasy, so I could have done without the well-intentioned pretense.

Comment

Love this book!

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

If I have one criticism—and you just knew there had to be at least one—it's the odd decision to present the information in a pseudo-academic form, that pretends all the weapons and armour in the book are the actual products of archeological digs, and these are relics from the past that we are studying today. It's an interesting angle, but who are we kidding here? Despite us knowing that Tolkien wrote his story as a kind of pre-history of our times, I still find it all a bit silly and jarring to read. We know this is fantasy, so I could have done without the well-intentioned pretense.
                        Heresy!

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

Heresy!
                          Nah, just my firm belief the book would have been better served if presented as factual information from the movies and Tolkien lore, rather than a baffling attemp at creating a faux-historical document, made worse by the amount of errors in it.

Comment

But... surely you’re not implying... you mean...
                            Middle Earth ISN’T ACTUALLY REAL?!

I remember hearing a similar rumour about Santa. Now I’m really starting to worry!

Comment

Originally posted by Valar View Post

But... surely you’re not implying... you mean...
                              Middle Earth ISN’T ACTUALLY REAL?!

I remember hearing a similar rumour about Santa. Now I’m really starting to worry!

... seriously though, thanks for being a good sport. Despite that minor quibble, I really do love that book!

Comment

Agree with you there; could have quite done without that mannered style.

Comment

I have that book as well, loved it.

And speaking of books Alan Lee's Hobbit sketchbook just released. His LorR sketchbook is one of the best movie related books I've seen so hoping this one is on the level as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarion View Post
                                    I have that book as well, loved it.

And speaking of books Alan Lee's Hobbit sketchbook just released. His LorR sketchbook is one of the best movie related books I've seen so hoping this one is on the level as well.
                                    Yes! Looking forward to picking that book up this weekend.

Comment

I will pick Alan’s Hobbit sketchbook too.

For UK residents there is some Signed copies at Waterstones only available to collect in store.(ckeck if your nearest store still have copies).

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the.../2928377000325

Comment

Working...
                                      X