This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiking View Post

That is the main problem - is it possible to turn that part or it is just glued and a nut is under it.I have already make some delicate attempts but without succeed.
    I hear you, but without having seen one apart, I'm not sure what's under there. When you say the head of your axe is loose, what exactly are you referring to? The entire sleeve to which the two blades are connected, or just that cap at the top? If there's play to either side of the cap, it's possible the glue inside the threads may have cracked and gotten loose and there's enough room for the nut to move a bit in either direction.

Comment

I mean the wooden middle part, between the head and handle. It is loose in two places

It looks like top part of the head is removable in some way. It must be

I suppose there must be some threaded rod inside

Comment

I have written to UC customer service and got an answer from Jessica

I'm getting with our Product Development Team to see if they know for sure how to tighten this item. This was offered quite some years ago and is no longer listed in our system, but if anyone knows, it would be them. I'll get back to you when I have more information.

The response given to me is:

There is a threaded rod running through it, and a nut on either end, but the caps covering the ends are epoxied on so good that there is no way to remove them without damaging the finish.

Comment

The explanation makes sense. What are you planning to do? Chop off the cap, look for another one or leave it be?

Comment

It is quite difficult to make a good decision in my situation because on the blade is an autograph from JRD and I don't want to destroy it.

I have heard that some guys used a hot water to make the caps removable. However I am not sure I am going to try. I think I will leave it be.

Comment

I've read a few other complaints specifically about the new production UC axes.

Maybe the quality is not the same as it used to be.

Comment

I've spent half an hour searching to no avail, but there is out there somewhere a photo of this axe disassembled. the gold plates either side of the head come of - there is a threaded bar through a metal core which the axe blades are attached to, and then the top pommel is screwed/glued on. you could try heating the end with hot water and twisting, but you will likely do damage to either the autographs or the finish itself :/

Comment

Originally posted by wiking View Post
                  It is quite difficult to make a good decision in my situation because on the blade is an autograph from JRD and I don't want to destroy it.

I have heard that some guys used a hot water to make the caps removable. However I am not sure I am going to try. I think I will leave it be.
                  Personally, I would think that the autograph would be worth more than the stability of the piece. i.e. better to preserve the autograph and have it wobble a bit than risk the autograph to tighten it.

I feel your pain. I had a slightly wobbly hadhafang that annoyed me for years.

Comment

UC's explanation lines up with what I remember about how the axe is assembled. I agree with the sentiments expressed above in that the risk to the axe is too high, especially one that has a signature. If you are like me, I know these things are bothersome and always in the back of one's mind, but let's face it: the axe was not made for swinging anyway, so having it just sit on the wall means the rattle is a non-issue relative to its function as a display-only collectible. I think that's a fair compromise given the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
                      I've read a few other complaints specifically about the new production UC axes.

Maybe the quality is not the same as it used to be.
                      There is always somethig wrong with the quality, more or less.

Originally posted by Jamie Shakespeare View Post
                      ...but you will likely do damage to either the autographs or the finish itself :/
                      That is why I wll leave it be. I will not take that risk.

Originally posted by FuriousSimian View Post

Personally, I would think that the autograph would be worth more than the stability of the piece. i.e. better to preserve the autograph and have it wobble a bit than risk the autograph to tighten it.

I feel your pain. I had a slightly wobbly hadhafang that annoyed me for years.
                      I totally agree with you, the autograph from JRD is worth more than the stability. I remember when I went to JRD to get his autograph and he took the axe and said - Oh it is loose. Do you know that. Unfortunately I did.

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                      UC's explanation lines up with what I remember about how the axe is assembled. I agree with the sentiments expressed above in that the risk to the axe is too high, especially one that has a signature. If you are like me, I know these things are bothersome and always in the back of one's mind, but let's face it: the axe was not made for swinging anyway, so having it just sit on the wall means the rattle is a non-issue relative to its function as a display-only collectible. I think that's a fair compromise given the alternative.
                      I think I can live with this inaccuracy. You are right - it is a display-only collectible.

Comment

Hi everyone ! Do you know if UC planned to do a replica of the staff of Radagast the brown ? And planned to re-release the staff of Saruman the white ?

Comment

Originally posted by Yvdir View Post
                          Hi everyone ! Do you know if UC planned to do a replica of the staff of Radagast the brown ? And planned to re-release the staff of Saruman the white ?
                          I think unfortunately that is a no. I haven't anything about any new Hobbit items coming or a re-issue of the Saruman staff.
                          https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Ok, i will try too find Radagast Satff from Weta and Saruman Staff from UC or Weta but they seems to be hard too find for a good price

Comment

Working...
                            X