Adolfo's Aviation Art collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC05230 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05231 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05239 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05238 by bainiceheart, on Flickr a lot of mail comin...got some business in UK in April ..hope to find some art there..if there is time

Comment

Love the P-38 print with them wearing their invasion strips. Very cool!

Just a little info about the strips.

Invasion stripes were alternating black and white bands painted on the fuselages and wings of Allied aircraft during World War II to reduce the chance that they would be attacked by friendly forces during and after the Normandy Landings. Three white and two black bands were wrapped around the rear of a fuselage just in front of the empennage (tail) and from front to back around the upper and lower wing surfaces.
      After a study concluded that the thousands of aircraft involved in the invasion would saturate and break down the IFF system, the marking scheme was approved on May 17, 1944, byAir Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, commanding the Allied Expeditionary Air Force. A small-scale test exercise was flown over the OVERLORD invasion fleet on June 1, to familiarize the ships' crews with the markings, but for security reasons, orders to paint the stripes were not issued to the troop carrier units until June 3 and to the fighter and bomber units until June 4.
      One month after D-Day, the stripes were ordered removed from planes' upper surfaces to make them more difficult to spot on the ground at forward bases in France. They were completely removed by the end of 1944 after achieving total air supremacy over France.

Comment

DSC05237 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05236 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05235 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05234 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05233 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05232 by bainiceheart, on Flickr

Latest prints to come in...should get about 10 more soon...including one I was truly shocked to see, never knew it existed and means the world to me on a very personal level...see you guys in 2 weeks...off to UK...might have to see Shazam and GOT overseas as well

Comment

Terrific additions Adolfo. Have a great time in the UK. It would be cool if you could meet up with some of the UK forum members for a pint.

P.S. How do you store your unframed prints?
          Last edited by Ithildin; 6th April 2019, 15:03.

Comment

DSC05354 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05358 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05357 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05412 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05422 by bainiceheart, on Flickr
            DSC05355 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05356 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05359 by bainiceheart, on Flickr

Comment

Your on a roll Adolfo. Did you pick these while your in the UK?

Comment

6 of em yes...gotta photo one more...also waiting for more from UK and Australia
                Last edited by Adolfo; 15th April 2019, 15:03.

Comment

Maybe you missed it but how are you storing your unframed prints?

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                    Maybe you missed it but how are you storing your unframed prints?
                    Flat files....

Comment

DSC05455 by bainiceheart, on Flickr

This last print means the world to me...This I totally discovered by accident...I do know Simon Fishers work from the past,and he's got quite a few Titanic prints done, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think the Ship Carpathia was in print...I searched hard for an Artist proof but couldn't find one(comes with Companion print)...finally I got in touch with someone I knew in UK and lo and behold he had a regular edition...My grandfather was #2 Medical officer on that ship...including on the April 1912 morning the Titanic sunk...He was charged the care of the first class passenger survivors...he spoke 5 languages fluently and was a gentleman to the core... lived next door to me in NYC till he died of a massive stroke in 1987 and was a huge impact on my life...I still cant believe this print exists...it is also signed by(at the time) the last living titanic survivor as well as the daughter of the captain of the Carpathia from that day in 1912

Comment

I figured that you must have a flat filing system you are using. It makes sense with the amount of prints that you have in your collection.

Great story about your grandfather. That print will always be special. Did he tell you all the stories of the events surrounding that night and following days?

Comment

I figured that you must have a flat filing system you are using. It makes sense with the amount of prints that you have in your collection.

Great story about your grandfather. That print will always be special. Did he tell you all the stories of the events surrounding that night and following days?
                          oh yes quite a few stories...not just about 1912

Comment

DSC05509 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05508 by bainiceheart, on Flickr.. latest acquisition "Gone West" An older but poignant one by James Dietz, my favorite WWI artist
                            Last edited by Adolfo; 20th April 2019, 05:27.

Comment

I love that print and it's beautifully framed. It does make you pause to think. Did you frame it yourself or did it come that way?

Comment

I love that print and it's beautifully framed. It does make you pause to think. Did you frame it yourself or did it come that way?
                                found it framed...guy didn't want it any longer after almost 30 years...got a great deal on it and am glad to finally have it in my collection

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

DSC05510 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05511 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05512 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05514 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05513 by bainiceheart, on FlickrDSC05515 by bainiceheart, on Flickr My latest Trudgian haul
                                    DSC05516 by bainiceheart, on Flickr Also part of that haul...my favorite P-38 Lightning print

Comment

Haul indeed! Tell me, I see the artists signature but who are the other peoples signatures on the prints?

Comment

Haul indeed! Tell me, I see the artists signature but who are the other peoples signatures on the prints?
                                        All guys that shot down P-38s & P-61s...............JK
                                        Last edited by Adolfo; 22nd April 2019, 07:42.

Comment

Wow Adolfo, just happened across this thread now. You have an amazing collection, bravo!

Comment

Working...
                                          X