Till Foxburr's Office Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Till Foxburr's Office Build

I started collecting way back in the mid 2000s, with a focus on both LOTR and Star Wars. Through the years my focus has shifted, with the last five or so really being on LOTR. I can still remember my first Sideshow/Weta statue. I was at a local comic book store and found Frodo. As I'm sure it's the case with most, my collection has changed significantly since I started. Largely in part to space, moves or finances, much has come and gone in my collection. Three years ago we moved into a new home. At the same time I landed a job that has me based out of my home. The basement has a space for my office, but it is not ideal. Fortunately the unfinished area of the basement is large, and I decided a new/bigger office was needed.

After months of planning, in January I started work on the new office. While I consider myself pretty handy, I am not fast. Plus, a full time job and three kids don't exactly make it easier! I've been plugging away though and am making good progress. In addition to the remodel work, there is also the matter of the desk/bookcases for display. Roughly ten years ago I started into woodworking, and you could say that hobby has gotten out of hand! So, the plan is to build built-in bookcases and a desk for the office. It's quite the undertaking, but something I absolutely look forward to.

I've been holding off on posting as I didn't want to bore you all with the slow progress and not much to show. However, I am getting to a place in the project where I think things are really going to start coming together. Below is a fairly short update of what I've done so far. From here on out I will plan to provide updates if that will interest people. I have a loose goal of completing this project by the end of the year. We'll see how accurate that is as the year plays out! Hope you all enjoy, I look forward to sharing my project and collection with you.

The office space was cleared back in December. The previous owners had built a storage room, so I had to tear down two walls and a bunch of cabinets/shelves. With all that out of the way, I was able to plan out the space. From January to April I plugged away with framing, HVAC, electrical, ethernet and insulation. The space is decently sized, though I wish it could be a bit wider. The one big downside is I won't have a window. It's possible I could add an egress, though my sewer drain runs pretty close to where it would go, so I'm not positive it will fly. I've decided to complete the project and see how I feel after spending a few months in the new space. If not having a window drives me nuts, I'll have someone come have a look. I plan to put in adjustable lighting bulbs (the Philips Hue bulbs) and maybe mimic sunlight.

Office 1.jpg
    Office 2.jpg

Next came the drywall, which isn't so bad. The mudding though...that is the bane of my existence!! I have been working on that off/on for over a month! It's coming together, I generally just do a wall or so at a time, otherwise I get frustrated.

Office 3.jpg
    Office 4.jpg

While mudding I decided it was time to start building the bookcases. Not only does it serve as a good distraction, the build will take quite a while so best to get it going. The picture below is sort of the look I'm going for with the desk/bookcase.

Office 5.jpg

Last edited by Till Foxburr; 9 June 2021, 02:52.

I settled on cherry wood. It has really a really nice grain pattern, easy to work with, and relatively cost effective. There are a couple guys near where I live that mill it so I also have pretty decent access to it. I picked up a large quantity in May to get me started. I don't think the picture does it justice, but there is a lot of lumber here to get through, ha! The cabinet interior will be maple. Provides nice contrast to the cherry and easy to find at the big box stores.

Office 8.jpg

A few weeks ago I started on the base cabinets. I sketched out the back end of the bookcase and am starting there. This section will have four drawers for documents/folders, and the middle section will have doors and shelving. Cabinet hardware is tricky business so I'm having to exercise patience and checking my measurements about 12 times before each cut!

Office 6.jpg
    Office 7.jpg
    Office 9.jpg

Well, that's where I am at as of today! If you're still reading this I hope you enjoyed it. At the very least it's been fun for me to track my progress on this endeavor! I look forward to more updates as I continue the build!

Comment

Good luck with your new project!

Comment

Till Foxburr This is fantastic!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing more progress and always good to see other carpenters on the forum. Also, if you haven't already considered it, space/access for wire management and lighting. Much easier to change something now, than later.
          https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Awesome can’t wait to see it finished!

Comment

Great undertaking! Wish you the best and looking forward to more episodes of the build

Comment

This looks really impressive. You obviously have excellent skills, so I`m sure it will turn out fantastic. I will be following your progress and I look forward to see the finished job.

Comment

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post
                  Looking forward to seeing more progress and always good to see other carpenters on the forum. Also, if you haven't already considered it, space/access for wire management and lighting. Much easier to change something now, than later.
                  Thanks all for the kind words! Yes, I did my best to plan for that. The ceiling will be largely a drop ceiling (minus the soffit running around the perimeter) which will give me access to the wiring in the room, as well as the room above which happens to be the kitchen. I didn't want to lose access to a room like that!

Comment

Oh, I love this kind of stuff! Looking forward to more updates. Looks like you are doing a great job so far.

Comment

large pieces will look great on the desk! Have fun!

Comment

Great project! I imagine it is great to build something like that!

Comment

A very nice project, I really like the end result sought.

And YES, please keep posting updates, I always follow such creative construction projects with great interest.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
                            large pieces will look great on the desk! Have fun!
                            Ha, yes looking forward to having a place for my cave troll! It sure was painful to receive him and then box him back up.

Comment

I like the cabinet design and choice of Cherry for the wood. Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing more updates.
                              https://www.instagram.com/m.shea_pa/

Comment

Uau really good, you're off to a great start looking forward to see your future updates, I'm sure the room will look awesome in the end!

Comment

I look forward to seeing the project come together, it will be awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                  X