The Dark Corner

#1 - 'Find the halflings'
    [rookie pet project - sketch on A3 / 130gsm - Staedtler HB]
    Welcome feedback - positive & negative

IMG_20210520_165520__01__01__01.jpg

Talent! Very well done

Comment

Comment

Nice! You have more talent in your little finger than I have in my entire body.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Looks great, Darkcorner! I've always wanted to being able to draw like this, but never managed to do so, probably because I didn't try long or hard enough.

I always feel bad when I give harsh feedback to my daughter for her drawings. But then I see what good comes from it. She constantly gets better because she's practising so much.

Lurtz' face, in general (I mean in the movie), is a bit strange, so don't mind too much what I'm saying. And the last thing I want is to hurt someone who likes Calvin & Hobbes! And please don't let my amateurish feedback discourage you. What's important is your joy while drawing and looking at what you have achived!!

So here's my feedback:

Lurtz' face is a bit skewed (left to right side), especially around the chin. It looks like nose, mouth and chin don't align. My biggest problem with the face is that I see a granny haircut and I can't unsee that any more (but that's probably only my problem). That being said, his hairstyle at Amon Hen is questionable - a haircut long overdue. That funny higher extended hair-part should be from his pigtail.

In the side view the face looks a bit more human than it should. Is that the scene where he swears his oath to Saruman? The head looks like it is a bit too deep (front to back) in size which makes the connection between the forehead and the rest of the head look a bit strange. The face reminds me of actor John Saxon from the 70ies.

Keep up the good work and thanks for showing your art!!
            Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitheithel View Post
              Talent! Very well done
              Originally posted by Valar View Post
              Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
              Nice! You have more talent in your little finger than I have in my entire body.
              Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
              Looks good!
              Thanks Mitheithel , Valar, Ithildin (you're far too kind ), Celaglar

Comment

Originally posted by Homunculus1916 View Post
                Looks great, Darkcorner! I've always wanted to being able to draw like this, but never managed to do so, probably because I didn't try long or hard enough.

I always feel bad when I give harsh feedback to my daughter for her drawings. But then I see what good comes from it. She constantly gets better because she's practising so much.

Lurtz' face, in general (I mean in the movie), is a bit strange, so don't mind too much what I'm saying. And the last thing I want is to hurt someone who likes Calvin & Hobbes! And please don't let my amateurish feedback discourage you. What's important is your joy while drawing and looking at what you have achived!!

So here's my feedback:

Lurtz' face is a bit skewed (left to right side), especially around the chin. It looks like nose, mouth and chin don't align. My biggest problem with the face is that I see a granny haircut and I can't unsee that any more (but that's probably only my problem). That being said, his hairstyle at Amon Hen is questionable - a haircut long overdue. That funny higher extended hair-part should be from his pigtail.

In the side view the face looks a bit more human than it should. Is that the scene where he swears his oath to Saruman? The head looks like it is a bit too deep (front to back) in size which makes the connection between the forehead and the rest of the head look a bit strange. The face reminds me of actor John Saxon from the 70ies.

Keep up the good work and thanks for showing your art!!
                Homunculus1916 - firstly, a big thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed & valuable feedback. Your daughter is lucky and going to cherish and thank you for mentoring her (I do that to my dad, he's taught me the little I know and we both never took professions/academic lessons).

So, fully agree on your feedback - mistakes I will try to correct in the future (just listing some thoughts of mine so my approach may be corrected - please don't read it as justifications). I'm attaching the reference pics from which I drew for your further review.

I agree with you on Lurtz's face (it's a bit off - I started by drawing an oval and plotting eyes, ears, nose, etc geometrically but soon had to scrap it - just didn't work). I did notice almost mid-way that the angle of nose, mouth & chin don't align with the angle of the face, tried correcting it a bit but didn't go full extent as it would have led me to redoing the face (blame frustration & laziness a bit ).

I'm guilty of the hair from the pigtail (I drew this straight out of the video still in youtube and the frame above the pigtail basically was cut, I should have referenced more pics I suppose...

You're right, it's the scene where Lurtz takes the oath with Saruman. Okay, the comparison with John Saxon is incredible now that you've mentioned it I can't unsee him...You're spot on with the head, but I'm lost to think how I can make him more orc like

Lurtz_AmonHen.JPGLurtz_Saruman.JPG?

Comment

Hi Darkcorner! I'm relieved you are not taking it the wrong way. I see, the lighting in the first reference picture is really not ideal. From the far left comes hard sunlight and the right side is evenly lightened up by a soft light or reflector. That's making both sides look completely different. You should definitely use more than one reference pic with different lighting situations.

With the John Saxon face, to make it more orc like, I think, some of the facial features need to be bolder: thicker eybrow part, corner of mouth (not so pointed), cheek bone more prominent.
                  Nose, chin, jaw-line look bold enough in your sketch. Upper end of the eybrow area should be made seen. Bigger eyehole/eye might make a big difference.

I completely understand that it's hard to change structural elements halfways through the sketch. That's probably what kept me from continuing drawing when I was young. My daughter isn't drawing lifelike for the most part. She's 14 and completely into comic/manga stuff. We both only learned by Youtube. We bought her a pen display last year and I think that really payed off. It's so much easier and faster to use layers for construction and sketch, undoing steps or moving parts around, especially for beginners who need to try things out to learn. If you draw something on paper, for half an hour to an hour and something is not right which can't be changed easily, you probably are disenhartened and won't restart from scratch. That way you miss out on both the success and the lesson you would learn.

The great thing about giving feedback is that while looking at your pictures and thinking about what could be done differently, I also learn something. And it's so easy to find flaws in other people's work. So why not putting this talent to good use for once..
                  Last edited by Homunculus1916; 24 May 2021, 12:39.
                  Do you like books? Visit the New books, old books thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Homunculus1916 View Post
                    Hi Darkcorner! I'm relieved you are not taking it the wrong way. I see, the lighting in the first reference picture is really not ideal. From the far left comes hard sunlight and the right side is evenly lightened up by a soft light or reflector. That's making both sides look completely different. You should definitely use more than one reference pic with different lighting situations.

With the John Saxon face, to make it more orc like, I think, some of the facial features need to be bolder: thicker eybrow part, corner of mouth (not so pointed), cheek bone more prominent.
                    Nose, chin, jaw-line look bold enough in your sketch. Upper end of the eybrow area should be made seen. Bigger eyehole/eye might make a big difference.

I completely understand that it's hard to change structural elements halfways through the sketch. That's probably what kept me from continuing drawing when I was young. My daughter isn't drawing lifelike for the most part. She's 14 and completely into comic/manga stuff. We both only learned by Youtube. We bought her a pen display last year and I think that really payed off. It's so much easier and faster to use layers for construction and sketch, undoing steps or moving parts around, especially for beginners who need to try things out to learn. If you draw something on paper, for half an hour to an hour and something is not right which can't be changed easily, you probably are disenhartened and won't restart from scratch. That way you miss out on both the success and the lesson you would learn.

The great thing about giving feedback is that while looking at your pictures and thinking about what could be done differently, I also learn something. And it's so easy to find flaws in other people's work. So why not putting this talent to good use for once..
                    Thanks again Homunculus1916 for the detailed feedback and sorry for the delayed response. I will take your points into account and definitely put it in, I might do another Lurtz / side face of Lurtz but bigger...but probably after some time. Yes, definitely I need to spend more time studying different angles/pictures of the character that I want to draw (for my next project).

Glad to know you're making the best of technology, I gave it a lot of thought and had almost pushed the button on getting a digital editor but then pulled back to do it old style, I'm sure in the near future I'll jump onto it. Comics and Manga are so much fun to draw as well, I started out trying some comics (decades ago..I;m an old donkey now - but still love drawing comics)

As far as I'm concerned, giving constructive feedback also requires great skill and I look forward to yours when I do other projects

Comment

Working...
                    X