HeraldElrond's Hobbit Hole

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    HeraldElrond's Hobbit Hole

    Well, here goes nothin. This is my current setup, it's definitely a work in progress. The TV stand that I built and have TB on is not meant to have the rest of the shelves right up against it. You can't really see the TV the way it is now, but this is a temporary space, and smaller than what I will have eventually. I also have my collection spread into two areas as you see, and hope to have it consolidated down to one area/room at some point. My next build will be something that can hold ToT, and all of the ones you see in the second area (Smaug, Balrog, Orthanc, RWOS, and Barad Dur). I've got a few other pieces out in the garage boxed up for now, so I needs to get to building.

    Would love to hear opinions and ideas, the good and the bad. Just don't be mean, I can take constructive criticism. Thanks all!



    image0 by James Ash, on Flickr

    image4 by James Ash, on Flickr

    image3 by James Ash, on Flickr

    image3 by James Ash, on Flickr

    image2 by James Ash, on Flickr

    image11 by James Ash, on Flickr

    #2
    Your off to a wonderful start. You have some really great pieces in you collection. Woodworking takes time and practice to get good at it, including lots of failure and learning how to fix it ( at least for me anyway). If you haven't got one already, I highly recommend a router to add profiles to the edges of you pieces. Another thing I have been trying to do as much as can is to glue and clamp pieces together when joining them instead of just glue and nails, that way I'm not having to fill nail holes in stained projects. Pocket holes get a bad rap, but used in places you can't see them and are very useful and strong joint.

    Ever have questions, feel free to PM me.


    Also, you don't need a 3rd party site anymore to upload photos, just "upload attachments" from you computer. Saves lots of time.
    https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

    Comment


      #3
      Love it! You have some awesome statues! I would only say this: Minas Morgul displayed together with Minas Tirith thanks for sharing and don’t be too hard on yourself at the end of the day it’s your space.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post
        Your off to a wonderful start. You have some really great pieces in you collection. Woodworking takes time and practice to get good at it, including lots of failure and learning how to fix it ( at least for me anyway). If you haven't got one already, I highly recommend a router to add profiles to the edges of you pieces. Another thing I have been trying to do as much as can is to glue and clamp pieces together when joining them instead of just glue and nails, that way I'm not having to fill nail holes in stained projects. Pocket holes get a bad rap, but used in places you can't see them and are very useful and strong joint.

        Ever have questions, feel free to PM me.


        Also, you don't need a 3rd party site anymore to upload photos, just "upload attachments" from you computer. Saves lots of time.
        Ahhh, yea I was going to use that but I was looking at the best practices thread and it didn't mention just directly uploading the attachments, so I thought it might be frowned upon.

        Router and band saw will be my next big tool purchases. The smaller stand my big screen is on was my first piece ever, and it was made entirely of scrap wood leftover from when this house was built. Hence the holes on the front trim that had to be filled in with those little knobs (I have no idea what they're called). My next project is gonna be a work bench to mount the table saw and eventually band saw to, as well as a possible router attachment. I don't know how people use a router by hand and make it look good, if it's not mounted I would be all over the place. I experimented with my brother in law's router but I wanted to keep this one simple. I will def. be making the next one a bit fancier. Thranduil demands no less. I also REALLY want a planer, getting those top pieces flush (they weren't entirely) probably took up most of my time, and I destroyed a few pieces in the process trying to use an electric hand planer. Do those things even have a use? lol

        There are no visible holes/fill ins on the larger TV stand, I covered those with more trim lol. And glue and clamp is what I used for the top (had to join to 12inch wide pieces) and all of the trim. Also gonna need a belt sander at some point. I did use some pocket holes on the larger piece to attach some of the trim on the undersides.

        Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it, and it helps to reinforce my ambition for doing things like this. I looked EVERYWHERE for something I could buy to display Treebeard on that I could also use for other things and I found NOTHING. It was either build something myself, have someone else build something custom (eww), or buy something he would fit on but I wouldn't like. So I built something.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mitheithel View Post
          Love it! You have some awesome statues! I would only say this: Minas Morgul displayed together with Minas Tirith thanks for sharing and don’t be too hard on yourself at the end of the day it’s your space.
          I TRIED!! lol Those shelves are just a shade too small (in width) to put them both next to each other. To put them next to each other I'd need a different space and I really like them there right now. I'll probably add in a space on the shelf I build for Thranduil that will fit them both. My next build is gonna be MASSIVE and likely take up an entire wall of the room it will be in.

          Comment


            #6
            Hey man, those turned out nice and they are your first builds! Well done! Your collection looks great in them in my opinion.

            Are they made out of pine? The reason I ask is that when I use pine I have found that the when I stain I would get blotchy areas or "grain reversal" in many cases. The pine grain has areas that are more porous than others and the stain is absorbed more and is darker in those more porous areas. I discovered that if I use a wood conditioner that partially seals the woods surface, allows the stain to take more evenly which controls the blotching. A conditioner can make even the cheapest soft woods look great.

            Thanks for the photos of you display builds and collection. I enjoyed them very much!

            Comment


              #7
              Outstanding stuff! The shelves and such look great as does how you have them displayed.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                Hey man, those turned out nice and they are your first builds! Well done! Your collection looks great in them in my opinion.

                Are they made out of pine? The reason I ask is that when I use pine I have found that the when I stain I would get blotchy areas or "grain reversal" in many cases. The pine grain has areas that are more porous than others and the stain is absorbed more and is darker in those more porous areas. I discovered that if I use a wood conditioner that partially seals the woods surface, allows the stain to take more evenly which controls the blotching. A conditioner can make even the cheapest soft woods look great.

                Thanks for the photos of you display builds and collection. I enjoyed them very much!
                It was my pleasure, and it's about time, I've been saying I will for like a year now and not getting around to it. You and N2 asking finally pushed me to quit making excuses lol.

                They are both made from a variety, and I'm not even sure on some of it, but I know there are different kinds of wood in each piece. I definitely need to do some more research into the wood types and staining/finishing. I had to redo the finish on the big piece because I was too heavy handed with the sander after it dried and ended up taking it all off. So that was a lot of wasted time and finish. It is very blotchy on some of the pieces and I DID buy some wood conditioner, but I was impatient by the time they were built and decided to just stain and apply a satin finish. It had been a year of owning Treebeard and not displaying him, and I was deadset to get it done by my extended 4th of July weekend. So I rushed a bit at the end. A bad move on my part, but eh, who really looks at the stand when you have Treebeard and GoCart sitting there?! LOL!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                  but eh, who really looks at the stand when you have Treebeard and GoCart sitting there?! LOL!
                  LOL, so true. The only reason I did was because we were talking shop.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Elessar View Post
                    Outstanding stuff! The shelves and such look great as does how you have them displayed.
                    Thanks man, that means a lot coming from The Josh!! I need to get the rest of it displayed soon, but it's gonna require more building. And I'll try to take more time with it this go round so I can improve upon what I've done. I'm hoping to get another piece done by the time Thranduil ships next year, but I'm not going to rush it like I did the last one. This one will have a lot more attention to detail and maybe a little router flair to the edges lol.

                    If you're ever in Columbia you're welcome to stop by.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                      Thanks man, that means a lot coming from The Josh!! I need to get the rest of it displayed soon, but it's gonna require more building. And I'll try to take more time with it this go round so I can improve upon what I've done. I'm hoping to get another piece done by the time Thranduil ships next year, but I'm not going to rush it like I did the last one. This one will have a lot more attention to detail and maybe a little router flair to the edges lol.

                      If you're ever in Columbia you're welcome to stop by.
                      Well, I’d say you’ve got a knack for figuring out the best way to build things to show your stuff off. Nah that makes sense if you’re getting more confident in your ability. Build some really cool stuff and have it be an even better cherry on top of your collection.

                      Will do.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You have some great pieces in your collection. Looks great!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post
                          You have some great pieces in your collection. Looks great!
                          Thank you!! Need to do some rearranging and some more building. I hate Sauron up there by GoCart and Treebeard, looks out of place and overcrowded so he's gonna need a new home. Gonna make a large cabinet for Thranduil that I can hopefully more of my stuff out on. There are like 5 statues still in boxes in the garage along with a few busts. Basically stuff that doesn't really fit in anywhere at the moment.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Do you collect screens? I think I count at least 3

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Stig View Post
                              Do you collect screens? I think I count at least 3

                              LOL! That's also my office, and I'm currently working from home like a lot of us. There are two laptops there, both hooked up to multiple screens, one for work and one is mine. My job requires using multiple pieces of software at the same time so it may seem like overkill, but it's necessary.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                You have great pieces in your collection! I love to see all the Dwarves together. It's a very cool bunch. The art prints with the environments look good too.

                                I thought you had put Sauron with GoCart on purpose, going for the ominous vibe.

                                What is that print to the left of Orthanc? Looks intriguing. And which pieces do you still have boxed up?


                                Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post
                                It was my pleasure, and it's about time, I've been saying I will for like a year now and not getting around to it. You and N2 asking finally pushed me to quit making excuses lol.
                                I hear ya. I keep failing to get around to posting pics of my collection. Glad to see you've posted yours!
                                Last edited by DD; 30 July 2020, 05:48.

                                'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by DD View Post
                                  You have great pieces in your collection! I love to see all the Dwarves together. It's a very cool bunch. The art prints with the environments look good too.

                                  I thought you had put Sauron with GoCart on purpose, going for the ominous vibe.

                                  What is that print to the left of Orthanc? Looks intriguing. And which pieces do you still have boxed up?




                                  I hear ya. I keep failing to get around to posting pics of my collection. Glad to see you've posted yours!
                                  Thanks DD! The art print next to Orthanc is from the Deftones most recent album release. Special print you got for pre-ordering the album. The one by Barad Dur is from Serj Tankian's Harakiri, same deal. I also collect prints from bands I like and concerts I go to. I have signed stuff from Tool, Perfect Circle, and Puscifer shows I attended. Love me some Maynard James Keenan.

                                  I've got some of the older SSW stuff packed away, Galadrhim Archer, Last Alliance Elrond, some of the old busts and a few other small things. It's not much, but I'm out of space and I like the elven designs so I probably won't sell/trade them. I don't have a lot of space right now but hopefully in a year or two I can move into a bigger place and get things properly out on display. I'm gonna need to for Thranduil LOL!

                                  My limited space has never stopped me, I just get more creative with the space I do have.

                                  Comment

                                  Working...
                                  X