Weta's Master Swordsmith's Collection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #81
    I also email Weta for my interest, just hope I can wait a few months to start as I just received my Witchking sword

    Comment


      #82
      Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the 'second hand' market for these ? I'm not sure any of the potentially upcoming MSSC swords are going to be of interest to me.

      If I did want to look at the possibility of Acquiring say Glamdring or Anduril who are the best people to speak to ( in the know etc) and assuming they come up for sale from time to time where do people look/advertise typically ?

      My Thanks

      M.

      Comment


        #83
        Originally posted by Sorrowshard View Post
        Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the 'second hand' market for these ? I'm not sure any of the potentially upcoming MSSC swords are going to be of interest to me.

        If I did want to look at the possibility of Acquiring say Glamdring or Anduril who are the best people to speak to ( in the know etc) and assuming they come up for sale from time to time where do people look/advertise typically ?

        My Thanks

        M.
        There is always a chance that Peter Lyon will do Narsil later. Otherwise I think it will be hard since only 10 copies were made of Anduril.

        Comment


          #84
          The secondary market for Anduril is extremely expensive due to the rarity. I’ve only known of two instance where someone had said they might be willing to part with one and they were wanting between $20,000 and $30,000 just for the sword.(I don’t remember the specific people this was a couple years ago and they weren’t from the forum) I know there are one or two owners of Anduril on the forum. Maybe they can chime in what they think theirs is worth these days.

          Comment


            #85
            I put down the deposit for a mirror finished sword of Eowyn. ETA on the sword is 7 months so at least I have some time to save up for the next installment. Had to pass on the scabbard as it was out of my budget.
            Last edited by asko; 19 November 2020, 11:26.

            Comment


              #86
              Nice Asko. Then two of the Eowyn swords are going to Norway. I have also ordered one

              Haven't decided on the final finish yet though, but think I will go for the mirror finish. Wish there were pictures to compare the two. Had to pass on the scabbard as well. It's a masterpiece, but it's a bit too steep for me getting both.

              Comment


                #87
                Originally posted by The_Phantom View Post
                Nice Asko. Then two of the Eowyn swords are going to Norway. I have also ordered one

                Haven't decided on the final finish yet though, but think I will go for the mirror finish. Wish there were pictures to compare the two. Had to pass on the scabbard as well. It's a masterpiece, but it's a bit too steep for me getting both.
                Found these images some time ago from Instagram. It is from when Peter Lyon visited the Medieval festival on Gotland. Seems like at least the blade is mirror finished. Great to hear more blades are comming to Norway!
                Attached Files

                Comment


                  #88
                  Ah, thanks a lot. Forgot about those pictures and love the look here - this is what I'll go for. Appreciate it Asko.

                  Comment


                    #89
                    After thinking about going for the aged finish I think I'm going to end up with the mirror finish too. But it's not going to Norway

                    Comment


                      #90
                      Originally posted by TheWhiteHand View Post
                      After thinking about going for the aged finish I think I'm going to end up with the mirror finish too. But it's not going to Norway
                      Nice, congrats Flamer!

                      I asked what Peter would choose for himself between the two finishes. I'll post it here when I know.

                      Comment


                        #91
                        I reserved n° 15! But I'll decide later for the finish, absolutely not sure which one to choose!

                        Comment


                          #92
                          Originally posted by asko View Post

                          Found these images some time ago from Instagram. It is from when Peter Lyon visited the Medieval festival on Gotland. Seems like at least the blade is mirror finished. Great to hear more blades are comming to Norway!
                          That's not a mirror finish. It's what Weta used to call a "satin finish" at least back during the time when I got Glamdring. It's the standard finish that came with Anduril, Strider's sword and Glamdring. Not too sure what Weta calls the standard finish on their more recent MSSC pieces (or what level of polish it is) but Weta's mirror finish will indeed be mirror-like in every sense of the word; completely reflective.

                          But personally I think a standard finish is preferable (at least the old satin finish anyway). A mirror finish may conceal some of the contours of the blade which may mean you lose a bit of a visual sense of how deep the hollow grinds are. But what you lose there you gain in terms of a very surreal liquid/mercurial like appearance which can be quite special.

                          Ah decisions decisions.

                          Comment


                            #93
                            Originally posted by Aragorn View Post

                            That's not a mirror finish. It's what Weta used to call a "satin finish" at least back during the time when I got Glamdring. It's the standard finish that came with Anduril, Strider's sword and Glamdring. Not too sure what Weta calls the standard finish on their more recent MSSC pieces (or what level of polish it is) but Weta's mirror finish will indeed be mirror-like in every sense of the word; completely reflective.

                            But personally I think a standard finish is preferable (at least the old satin finish anyway). A mirror finish may conceal some of the contours of the blade which may mean you lose a bit of a visual sense of how deep the hollow grinds are. But what you lose there you gain in terms of a very surreal liquid/mercurial like appearance which can be quite special.

                            Ah decisions decisions.
                            It's still called a satin finish. Comes standard at no extra cost. You're right the mirror polish looks very special. Once you go mirror it's hard to go back!

                            Comment


                              #94
                              Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
                              The secondary market for Anduril is extremely expensive due to the rarity. I’ve only known of two instance where someone had said they might be willing to part with one and they were wanting between $20,000 and $30,000 just for the sword.(I don’t remember the specific people this was a couple years ago and they weren’t from the forum) I know there are one or two owners of Anduril on the forum. Maybe they can chime in what they think theirs is worth these days.
                              I am the SUPER proud owner of Anduril #9 and I bought it from a member here about 10 years ago for a fantastic price. It's in FLAWLESS shape and included all materials (including the original shipping box). I have never seen these swords come up for sale and the last time I saw one come up was when I bought mine 10 years ago, LOL! I would imagine it's worth at least triple the original price...seeing as how it was originally $6,000, I would imagine a minimum resale price would be $18,000. It's really hard to gauge the value because of the lack of sales, but if the common sense rule of collecting holds up, that of course just adds to the scarcity. I definitely regret not being able to get any of the earlier swords, but alas they are insanely expensive! I also collected all the Weta Dr. Grordbort's items (including one of the custom rayguns "Death From Above"), Halo items (including one of the silver statues), the District 9 stuff, and a few other things from some of the other Weta lines. So they got a fortune from me!
                              Last edited by Phreaky D; 21 November 2020, 04:50.

                              Comment


                                #95
                                Originally posted by Phreaky D View Post

                                I am the SUPER proud owner of Anduril #9 and I bought it from a member here about 10 years ago for a fantastic price. It's in FLAWLESS shape and included all materials (including the original shipping box). I have never seen these swords come up for sale and the last time I saw one come up was when I bought mine 10 years ago, LOL! I would imagine it's worth at least triple the original price...seeing as how it was originally $6,000, I would imagine a minimum resale price would be $18,000. It's really hard to gauge the value because of the lack of sales, but if the common sense rule of collecting holds up, that of course just adds to the scarcity. I definitely regret not being able to get any of the earlier swords, but alas they are insanely expensive! I also collected all the Weta Dr. Grordbort's items (including one of the custom rayguns "Death From Above"), Halo items (including one of the silver statues), the District 9 stuff, and a few other things from some of the other Weta lines. So they got a fortune from me!
                                Grats on owning one of the Andurils. I knew there was an owner or two on the forum but couldn’t remember who specifically has one. Do you have the belt/scabbard as well for it or just the sword? I’m hopeful to someday be able to acquire an Anduril and Glamdring for my collection.

                                Comment


                                  #96
                                  Thanks! I really wish I had that scabbard...I actually had no idea they were making those for the swords until it was too late, I think I only learned about the scabbard a few years ago and that's when my head exploded. It would've been really cool to have that as well!

                                  Comment


                                    #97
                                    I am trying to order this beautiful Rohan sword too but damn it i feel like its not going to happen. I asked to order when one was sold and when i got a reply 7-8 had gone and still had not reserved one. I had ordered No1 of the first 4 swords which does not give me any kind of seniority this time around alas lol. Fingers crossed i get a confirmation soon i have one secured : /
                                    Last edited by the Doctor; 21 November 2020, 07:55.
                                    Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

                                    Comment


                                      #98
                                      Originally posted by the Doctor View Post
                                      I am trying to order this beautiful Rohan sword too but damn it i feel like its not going to happen. I asked to order when one was sold and when i got a reply 7-8 had gone and still had not reserved one. I had ordered No1 of the first 4 swords which does not give me any kind of seniority this time around alas lol. Fingers crossed i get a confirmation soon i have one secured : /
                                      Good luck the Doctor. Really hope you get one to your collection

                                      Comment


                                        #99
                                        Originally posted by asko View Post

                                        Found these images some time ago from Instagram. It is from when Peter Lyon visited the Medieval festival on Gotland. Seems like at least the blade is mirror finished. Great to hear more blades are comming to Norway!
                                        Wow the bronze cast looks rlly good actually. Also I believe that is the default satin finish.

                                        Comment


                                          Curious if long term the scabbards become the thing people pursue. I know it sounds insane, but the ration of swords to scabbards must be very small indeed, 1-2 for most pieces I imagine. Eowyn may be my first and only one of these.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X