Weta's Master Swordsmith's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I own antique nihonto (Japanese pre Meiji era swords) and renaissance wax is good if you plan on permanently displaying blades out of their scabbard, I advise against it if the accessories are leather or wood. I cannot speak of own experience, I use exclusively Japanese blade oil but I've heard rumblings among antique collectors that renaissance wax can mess with wood/leather over time. It might be climate dependent and what steel/material is used as well, blade maintenance it is a deep deep rabbithole to fall into.

Comment

Originally posted by asko View Post

Congratulations!

As for maintenance, I also use autosol or metal glo for polishing, and then renaissance wax as protective coating. I have only done it once so far (about 10 months ago), but I check my swords for any signs of rust every second month.

Quick question for the other owners here: do you use something to remove the renaissance wax when you polish the next time? Or do you just directly start with Autosol?
      If you want to completely strip the sword of any trace of Ren wax, use a sword oil to rub it out. It’ll dissolve and strip it off.

Otherwise you can just apply the wax using a clean cloth over the old wax and it’ll also be fine. Just be careful about using renaissance wax that you don’t actually trap oil and dirt under the wax. There are users who use Ren wax and do it with a dirty cloth or their fingers and a few months later found that there was rusting underneath.

Originally posted by elendil456 View Post

What would happen if there was rust on the sword? Is it ruined?
      no. If the rust is very superficial, you can just polish it off with a light polish and it’ll come right off very quickly with no change to the appearance. If it is a deeper rust then when you polish the rust off it’ll leave some pitting.

Youll have to repolishing the entire sword to level the surface to remove the pitting. It might not be possible though if the pitting is too deep.

Is it damaged? Well that depends on what you consider damaged. The intentionally weathered swords that Peter makes also has pitting and those are a customer aesthetic choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragorn View Post

If you want to completely strip the sword of any trace of Ren wax, use a sword oil to rub it out. It’ll dissolve and strip it off.

Otherwise you can just apply the wax using a clean cloth over the old wax and it’ll also be fine. Just be careful about using renaissance wax that you don’t actually trap oil and dirt under the wax. There are users who use Ren wax and do it with a dirty cloth or their fingers and a few months later found that there was rusting underneath.

no. If the rust is very superficial, you can just polish it off with a light polish and it’ll come right off very quickly with no change to the appearance. If it is a deeper rust then when you polish the rust off it’ll leave some pitting.

Youll have to repolishing the entire sword to level the surface to remove the pitting. It might not be possible though if the pitting is too deep.

Is it damaged? Well that depends on what you consider damaged. The intentionally weathered swords that Peter makes also has pitting and those are a customer aesthetic choice.
        Thank you very much for this information!

Separately...your profile picture scared me good!
        Last edited by elendil456; 14 August 2022, 17:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthedain View Post
          Hi, I own antique nihonto (Japanese pre Meiji era swords) and renaissance wax is good if you plan on permanently displaying blades out of their scabbard, I advise against it if the accessories are leather or wood. I cannot speak of own experience, I use exclusively Japanese blade oil but I've heard rumblings among antique collectors that renaissance wax can mess with wood/leather over time. It might be climate dependent and what steel/material is used as well, blade maintenance it is a deep deep rabbithole to fall into.
          Funny that you mention this. I clean and oil my Glamdring exactly like my nihonto. Using the light powder ball and then choji oil. I like the finish of Choji oil more than Ren Wax. But maybe it's because I put too much Ren Wax on.

Comment

Unless you actually returned from battle and need to clean the blade you can likely forego the powder unless specifically instructed by the blade's togishi (polisher) and having high quality powder, it's a light abrasive after all. In this modern age good oil and quality camera lens cleaning microfiber cloth is what I've been advised by sword dealers in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Arthedain View Post
              Unless you actually returned from battle and need to clean the blade you can likely forego the powder unless specifically instructed by the blade's togishi (polisher) and having high quality powder, it's a light abrasive after all. In this modern age good oil and quality camera lens cleaning microfiber cloth is what I've been advised by sword dealers in Japan
              You're right. I use the powder since there's tiny little rust on the sword that I try to clean up, though I know it's completely natural.

Comment

Guess what arrived today.

7E6BCD26-BB07-4C2A-936A-AAD8E7520FD5.jpg

Comment

Now you are ready to slay the Witchking! You must be thrilled!

Comment

Originally posted by TMcLim View Post
                    Now you are ready to slay the Witchking! You must be thrilled!
                    It’s nice to finally have it. I hated waiting for the mail to come for what seemed forever.

Comment

That is gorgeous ghettodactyl. It makes a huge difference when it's with its scabbard and belt.

Congrats!
                      Cheers!
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post

It’s nice to finally have it. I hated waiting for the mail to come for what seemed forever.
                        I bet! That's the worst.

Comment

Would love to see closeups of the aging.

Comment

Fantastic! Love it.
                            Cheers!
                            Bill

Comment

Looks amazing!

Comment

Terrific!!

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful piece! The scabbard and belts are unreal!

Comment

Nice, really nice

Comment

Looks really good!

Comment

Working...
                                      X