Weta's Master Swordsmith's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eager as well to see a real in hand scabbard. Weta is checking for me on the status of my order and I may be cancelling that scabbard if allowed. So torn.

Comment

Originally posted by cstojano View Post
      Eager as well to see a real in hand scabbard. Weta is checking for me on the status of my order and I may be cancelling that scabbard if allowed. So torn.
      cstojano glad to hear you’re at least still getting sword. I’m sure this hasn’t been an easy decision to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Elestalrog View Post

cstojano glad to hear you’re at least still getting sword. I’m sure this hasn’t been an easy decision to make.
        Hello, thanks for the support. The sword isn't the issue as that is basically paid for. What isn't paid is the scabbard, which is another 10k. Honestly, the scabbard sold me on the whole thing, my first and only Peter Lyon sword, but having 20k+ invested in this sort of makes my head hurt. Plus I figured if I had to sell this it would be much easier to find someone with 10k to take the sword but harder to find someone with 20k to buy the package with the scabbard. We shall see.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the support. The sword isn't the issue as that is basically paid for. What isn't paid is the scabbard, which is another 10k. Honestly, the scabbard sold me on the whole thing, my first and only Peter Lyon sword, but having 20k+ invested in this sort of makes my head hurt. Plus I figured if I had to sell this it would be much easier to find someone with 10k to take the sword but harder to find someone with 20k to buy the package with the scabbard. We shall see.
          I figured since you mentioned possibly having someone else potentially take on the sword and scabbard that you may have gone that route and passed on it entirely. I think you have some pretty solid logic there in terms of if you end up deciding to resell it.

Comment

Of all the MSSC I’d say Eowyns sword would probably be one of the easiest to sell with the scabbard. Since it’s such a intricate piece. But you are right it would generally be an easier sell for most swords without a scabbard due to the cost. Mostly depends on the sword though. I’ve done my half payment as well and always dread the final payment plus shipping/import. That and I still hope Peter doesn’t do another release this year. It’d be nice to have a break of buying for a bit.

Comment

Yeah thanks for that. So torn. Weta said I could take the scabbard off and I'd basically be paid up. Looking like a December delivery. How much is all the shipping on top of the costs?? About 1k or so? Is that right? ANy in hand pics of the scabbard anywhere?

Also, is there a concern with storing it in the scabbard? I sort of like the way they have it ready to go in that one picture.
              Last edited by Minuialwen; 12 October 2021, 12:32. Reason: Merged

Comment

Originally posted by cstojano
                Also, is there a concern with storing it in the scabbard? I sort of like the way they have it ready to go in that one picture.
                It depends on how you take care of the blade, if you use a very light coat of oil to keep the blade from rusting I personally wouldn’t store it in the scabbard but I know of sword owners and swordsmiths that will store their blades in the scabbard even after wiping the blade down with oil and have not had any problems. Again it would be with either a very, very light coat of oil or use renaissance wax and you won’t have to worry much if you choose to store it in the scabbard. I prefer renaissance wax for any preservation of carbon spring steel. The reason I prefer the wax is because it eliminates any possibility of the oil sitting on one particular part of the blade and potentially causing rust if the sword is not tended to on a consistent basis. The oil can build up in scabbard, normally down toward the tip of the sword, if you’re not careful with how much you use and how often that’s why wax is best in my opinion. And even if you didn’t choose to store it in the scabbard I would still say use the ren wax for your maintenance.

Comment

I think Sword of Eowyn is one of the most attractive swords designed by WETA & their Master Swordsmith collection verison is exceptional..
                  But is this price really correct (from Museum link)? Cuz my car costs less then that.
                  20211012_180902.png

Comment

Originally posted by SnapJimmy View Post
                    I think Sword of Eowyn is one of the most attractive swords designed by WETA & their Master Swordsmith collection verison is exceptional..
                    But is this price really correct (from Museum link)? Cuz my car costs less then that.
                    20211012_180902.png
                    Yes, the price is correct. You also need to add USD 999 for optional Blade finish (mirror or aged) and USD 100 if you want the blade sharpened. Also somewhere around USD 700 for shipping, and then import fees and VAT in your home country if applicable. Still, I think it was worth it for me. This sword is my grail piece
                    Last edited by asko; 12 October 2021, 22:28.

Comment

Originally posted by asko View Post

Yes, the price is correct. You also need to add USD 999 for optional Blade finish (mirror or aged) and USD 100 if you want the blade sharpened. Also somewhere around USD 700 for shipping, and then import fees and VAT in your home country if applicable. Still, I think it was worth it for me. This sword is my grail piece
                      Wow, mad respect to you for owning such a grail piece!! I saw some photos and I was blown away.

Comment

Originally posted by Elestalrog View Post

It depends on how you take care of the blade, if you use a very light coat of oil to keep the blade from rusting I personally wouldn’t store it in the scabbard but I know of sword owners and swordsmiths that will store their blades in the scabbard even after wiping the blade down with oil and have not had any problems. Again it would be with either a very, very light coat of oil or use renaissance wax and you won’t have to worry much if you choose to store it in the scabbard. I prefer renaissance wax for any preservation of carbon spring steel. The reason I prefer the wax is because it eliminates any possibility of the oil sitting on one particular part of the blade and potentially causing rust if the sword is not tended to on a consistent basis. The oil can build up in scabbard, normally down toward the tip of the sword, if you’re not careful with how much you use and how often that’s why wax is best in my opinion. And even if you didn’t choose to store it in the scabbard I would still say use the ren wax for your maintenance.
                        Do you use oil, and then apply renaissance wax on top of that to "seal it". Or do you opt for renaissance wax instead of using oil altogether? If the later, do you use oil at all?

Comment

Originally posted by omearmi View Post

Do you use oil, and then apply renaissance wax on top of that to "seal it". Or do you opt for renaissance wax instead of using oil altogether? If the later, do you use oil at all?
                          I use the ren wax instead of oil. Polish with Metal Glo or Autosol and then after a good wipe down of all metal polish I apply a light coat of ren wax, just my preference. Make sure the sword is dry before you put the ren wax on. If you’re going to use the sword often then a very light coat of 3-in-1 oil will do just fine keeping rust away just be sure to keep an eye on the sword. This method is preferred because removal of the wax can be time consuming so it’s easier to clean and maintain after use with light oil. Ren wax is what most would use for storage and display to protect the sword from rust vs oil.

Also apply the the metal polish and the ren wax with a clean microfiber cloth this way you avoid lint/dust being placed onto the steel. Mineral oil can be used to remove the ren wax if necessary for any reason.

If you happen to live in an environment where it’s humid, have a lot of large swings in temps, or a lot of moisture in the air you will want to check on your blade every couple months regardless of using ren wax just to make sure everything is looking good. With ren wax you should still be in good shape maintenance wise for a longer period of time but when it comes to those environments it’s always better to have more regular maintenance, so every couple months you check it you should probably look to do maintenance on it as well just to be cautious.

Last edited by Elestalrog; 13 October 2021, 06:11.

Comment

I was getting third opinions on the scabbard option from a collecting friend who isn't in the loop at all. He thought it was a great piece and said for 10k for the scabbard he hoped I was getting daily feeding updates on the cow the leather would be coming from ;)

Still undecided. He ended with "do whatever makes you happy"

D'oh!

Comment

... He ended with "do whatever makes you happy"

D'oh!
                              "Don't go to the elves for advice, because they will say both yes and no."

/ Best regards Fredrik

Comment

for 10k for the scabbard he hoped I was getting daily feeding updates on the cow the leather would be coming from ;)
                                Indeed!
                                I'm sure you will not regret it if you end up going for the scabbard

Comment

Originally posted by SnapJimmy View Post
                                  20211012_180902.png
                                  That price also only include the sword. The scabbard belt is an extra $9999. Plus another $999 if you want a different finish. So you’re looking at over $20,000 if you get the scabbard/belt. All of the MSSC pieces basically cost as much as a car.

The Eowyn sword is one of my favorite designed swords with scabbard/belt so I look forward to seeing my aged one with belt/scabbard finished. Mine will be done last so I’ll get to see everyone else’s before mines finished. I’m still hoping for no release this year for at least one year of savings from no sword releases. Collecting these gets to be rough as more get produced.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post

That price also only include the sword. The scabbard belt is an extra $9999. Plus another $999 if you want a different finish. So you’re looking at over $20,000 if you get the scabbard/belt. All of the MSSC pieces basically cost as much as a car.

The Eowyn sword is one of my favorite designed swords with scabbard/belt so I look forward to seeing my aged one with belt/scabbard finished. Mine will be done last so I’ll get to see everyone else’s before mines finished. I’m still hoping for no release this year for at least one year of savings from no sword releases. Collecting these gets to be rough as more get produced.
                                    Wow, that's some serious collectible... Sword collectors like you make a statue collector like me look like a little kid collecting toybiz figures... I hope you can share detailed photo of this magnificent piece. It would be one of my dying wish to see this Eowyn MSSC sword & scabbard set with my own eyes & in hand. They say people these days can live up to 100 years. So I have 60 more years to fulfill it.

Comment

New interview with Peter Lyon where he discusses his swords in detail. Listen out for 12 mins 30 sec where he hints at another new sword to come!

https://youtu.be/sTgipWf9Z-k

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                                        New interview with Peter Lyon where he discusses his swords in detail. Listen out for 12 mins 30 sec where he hints at another new sword to come!

https://youtu.be/sTgipWf9Z-k
                                        Can’t wait to watch it! I’ve seen all of Peter’s previous interviews and always enjoy watching them.

I’m still hopeful he holds back on the next release until the end of next year even though I know he was planning a new release this year.

Comment

Well at least we know the 100 dollars to sharpen is worth the money. Pains me to see it used like that though.

Comment

Working...
                                          X