Comment

Originally posted by the Doctor View Post
      Giving The Flame of the West one final clean before it goes to a new home

Andur1.jpg
      andur2.jpg

Most excellent artifact !
      Originally posted by Darkcorner View Post
      Woow!! That Andruil is really glowing.

I see Weta's MSSC Orcrist is still available (low stock)...is that not a popular choice among the MSSC collectors?
      Until recently, MSSC Orcrist was sold with a scabbard and belt option. The sword and scabbard/belt set made a great combination, but it also made it very expensive as the scabbard was about the same price as the sword. I think that may have dissuaded some from purchasing. But now that Weta has ceased making the scabbard/belt, it brings the total cost down; however, it perhaps is not as compelling. One reason I purchased Orcrist was specifically because the scabbard was so magnificent.

Also, Orcrist doesn't have quite the same panache as its mates from the "troll horde" (i.e., Glamdring, Sting) due to its more limited book and screen time (although I wonder if it might be highlighted in the upcoming Amazon series as Orcrist and Glamdring were forged together in the First Age, and Orcrist may have been lost during the fall of Gondolin).

Orcrist itself is a wonderful blade / weapon, and massive in terms of size; it truly earns its moniker "Goblin-Cleaver". I would definitely recommend Orcrist if you are thinking about purchasing one of the few remaining from the limited edition run. While each sword in the MSSC collection is desirable in its own way, Orcrist may perhaps be the most intricate and unique sword in the MSSC collection

Comment

Thank you omearmi for the detailed explanation. I'm not into collecting swords (MSSC is a superior league ) ... but I admire the collections and Orcrist is one of my high favorite, yes based on what I had read, it was probably held by Ecthelion. I'm eagerly awaiting the series to see how close can it come to the movies (I've already read some negatives, but I'm hoping for positive )

Indeed, it's a unique & beautiful sword which is why I wondered why it's still available but as you explained it's probably a catch 22 situation with the sword and the scabbard (but isn't that the case with all MSSC swords?).

I'm a dummy in this subject, so pardon the silly question - why does the scabbard cost the same if not more? Is it an equivalent material & workmanship that demands the price?

Comment

I'm a dummy in this subject, so pardon the silly question - why does the scabbard cost the same if not more? Is it an equivalent material & workmanship that demands the price?
          Those in the know say so

Comment

Thank you omearmi for the detailed explanation. I'm not into collecting swords (MSSC is a superior league ) ... but I admire the collections and Orcrist is one of my high favorite, yes based on what I had read, it was probably held by Ecthelion. I'm eagerly awaiting the series to see how close can it come to the movies (I've already read some negatives, but I'm hoping for positive )

Indeed, it's a unique & beautiful sword which is why I wondered why it's still available but as you explained it's probably a catch 22 situation with the sword and the scabbard (but isn't that the case with all MSSC swords?).

Hey Darkcorner. It’s not a silly question at all. The scabbards cost so much because they have to go through many departments at Weta, tend to take longer to make, and the Kevlar core they use for the scabbard is not cheap either. All these factors put the price point for the scabbard as high or on occasion higher than the cost of the sword.

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post

Those in the know say so
              Thanks Stig

Thanks Elestalrog - that makes more sense! Now I'm more keen to look up the videos on how they're actually made / forged .

Comment

The main reason Orcrist hasn’t sold out is probably because there are just a lot more fans of LOTR vs the Hobbit. That and the pricy cost. Also when Orcrist initially released the run size was 50 but was later dropped down to 25 since the demand wasn’t there. The certificates still show the original run size even though it was dropped down to a 25 edition size. The only other sized edition that high was Sting. Every other release has been 10 or 15.

Comment

Thanks ghettodactyl for further explaining. It seems a bit of the LOTR v/s Hobbit trend in statues is also prevalent in swords collection. Someone like me collecting only statues would still be amazed at such a low number of 50 but can imagine the high costs resulting in further lower edition numbers.
                  By the way, your MSSC collection is simply stunning!

Do you have the Orcrist and is there a sword which you're still hunting?

Comment

Thanks ghettodactyl for further explaining. It seems a bit of the LOTR v/s Hobbit trend in statues is also prevalent in swords collection. Someone like me collecting only statues would still be amazed at such a low number of 50 but can imagine the high costs resulting in further lower edition numbers.
                    By the way, your MSSC collection is simply stunning!

Do you have the Orcrist and is there a sword which you're still hunting?
                    I do have Orcrist with its scabbard and belt. I own every MSSC release other than Anduril. It’s the only one I’m still trying to acquire to complete my collection. I own the belt/scabbards for about half my collection. I own the belt/scabbards for Orcrist, witch king, Eowyn, and Striders. My Glamdring, Sting, and Boromir pieces don’t have the belts/scabbards. Here’s a pic of Orcrist for ya back when I had initially got it.

4ADD7F40-D9E5-4914-92E8-54B510C6646B.jpeg

Comment

Woow! Thanks for sharing ghettodactyl . The scabbard and the belt themselves look so amazing with the elvish designs....it looks to be quite a big sword!
                      It's truly an impressive collection you have. Wish you good luck with Andruil, can only imagine the hunt with such limited numbers!

Comment

Originally posted by the Doctor View Post
                        Giving The Flame of the West one final clean before it goes to a new home

Andur1.jpg
                        andur2.jpg

The one who is buying is one lucky collector. Anduril, with an edition size of 10, must be the ultimate MSSC grail for most collectors. Any chance you can post a picture of the copyright inscription? I am curious about the location.

Comment

Originally posted by asko View Post

The one who is buying is one lucky collector. Anduril, with an edition size of 10, must be the ultimate MSSC grail for most collectors. Any chance you can post a picture of the copyright inscription? I am curious about the location.
                          Location is on the pommel for Anduril for the trademark inscription. If the sword was flipped over you’d be able to see it at the angle that bottom pic was taken at. It should run length wise on the upper portion closer to the grip.

Woow! Thanks for sharing ghettodactyl . The scabbard and the belt themselves look so amazing with the elvish designs....it looks to be quite a big sword!
                          It's truly an impressive collection you have. Wish you good luck with Andruil, can only imagine the hunt with such limited numbers!

Thanks! Hopefully some day I’ll be able to acquire one to complete the entire collection.

And yes, Orcrist is huge since the MSSC is the actor scale version that was used in filming. If you have seen the UC version this one is 20% larger.

41935BD0-8D81-43E7-A65B-D6C964AA774C.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl

Thanks! Hopefully some day I’ll be able to acquire one to complete the entire collection.

And yes, Orcrist is huge since the MSSC is the actor scale version that was used in filming. If you have seen the UC version this one is 20% larger.

]
                            One reason why I didn’t have a serious look at Orcrist and Sting is the physical size. Obviously price too.

But it’s a tough one. On the one hand, actor scale is the proper prop scale. But on the other hand, there’s something to be said about having the swords side by side in their appropriate sizes as they were “intended”.

I wonder if Weta will every consider doing a scale down version of sting and orcrist. Not sure if that’s opening a can of worms. Might upset the owners or the hero sting and orcrist. Maybe stunt aluminum version?

Comment

Originally posted by Aragorn View Post

One reason why I didn’t have a serious look at Orcrist and Sting is the physical size. Obviously price too.

But it’s a tough one. On the one hand, actor scale is the proper prop scale. But on the other hand, there’s something to be said about having the swords side by side in their appropriate sizes as they were “intended”.

I wonder if Weta will every consider doing a scale down version of sting and orcrist. Not sure if that’s opening a can of worms. Might upset the owners or the hero sting and orcrist. Maybe stunt aluminum version?
                              The smaller version of Sting was a possibility last year during the voting so yes they would do the different sizes. At least of the 5 available choices it was one of them. I doubt they’d do the smaller Orcrist version anytime soon since it sold slowest of all the pieces. That and their are so many swords to choose from I doubt they’d bring it back anytime soon if they were going to.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl

41935BD0-8D81-43E7-A65B-D6C964AA774C.jpeg
                                That's so impressive! I've never held or physically seen the UC Orcrist, but this one definitely seems like it can easily cleave some goblins and orcs

Comment

Originally posted by asko View Post

asko on Anduril the copyright inscription runs across the very bottom
                                  of the pommel.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
                                    I own the belt/scabbards for Orcrist, witch king, Eowyn, and Striders. My Glamdring, Sting, and Boromir pieces don’t have the belts/scabbards.
                                    Any reason in particular on why you choose not to get the belt/scabbard of those swords?

Comment

Originally posted by Levidas View Post

Any reason in particular on why you choose not to get the belt/scabbard of those swords?
                                      Sting and Glamdring I bought second hand and they hadn’t purchased ones when they ordered them. My Boromir I didn’t because I sadly couldn’t afford it at the time. I’d gotten the chance to take over someone else’s order for Boromirs. But this was just after I’d Paid for my Orcrist and witch king pieces which cost me $50,000. So after that I didn’t have the extra $7,500 to buy the Boromir belt/scabbard.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post

Sting and Glamdring I bought second hand and they hadn’t purchased ones when they ordered them. My Boromir I didn’t because I sadly couldn’t afford it at the time. I’d gotten the chance to take over someone else’s order for Boromirs. But this was just after I’d Paid for my Orcrist and witch king pieces which cost me $50,000. So after that I didn’t have the extra $7,500 to buy the Boromir belt/scabbard.
                                        You were able to take over someone's order? Was considering this for the Eowyn sword I had on order, priorities shifting rapidly here.

Comment

Originally posted by cstojano View Post

You were able to take over someone's order? Was considering this for the Eowyn sword I had on order, priorities shifting rapidly here.
                                          Yes, they had already ordered and paid the down payment for it but decided they needed the money instead. After they contacted me asking if I was interested in taking over their purchase we just spoke with weta and after I put down the 50% payment weta refunded them and I took over the order instead. It probably helped I’d bought swords from weta prior but they did let me do it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X