Weta's Master Swordsmith's Collection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by asko View Post

    Indeed! I am not looking forward to the VAT when it arrives though. Unless customs treat this as art, I am probably looking at 25% VAT on $10,500, which is the price of the sword including shipping.
    Ouch, that's going to sting.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

      Ouch, that's going to sting.
      Yes, it will. I have been spending quite some time looking at some of Weta’s polystone statues, but with MSSC expenses looming in the distance I have to stay disciplined and avoid them for now. I might bite though if the Witch-King shows up in the Classic Series in a few years time. I am hoping I can display the swords I order with a statue or an Asmus figure of the matching character.
      Last edited by asko; 23 December 2020, 10:57.

      Comment


        Originally posted by asko View Post

        Found these images some time ago from Instagram. It is from when Peter Lyon visited the Medieval festival on Gotland. Seems like at least the blade is mirror finished. Great to hear more blades are comming to Norway!
        Oh, What instagram @ is this?

        These are actually rlly good photos what the actual sword will prob look like vs the Weta website photos. Are there any more photos of the actual sword out there like this?

        Comment


          Originally posted by terminus View Post

          Oh, What instagram @ is this?

          These are actually rlly good photos what the actual sword will prob look like vs the Weta website photos. Are there any more photos of the actual sword out there like this?
          I dont remember the account, but I think I found it by searching for the tag #peterlyon.

          Comment


            Originally posted by asko View Post
            image004.png

            My mirror-finished sword of the Witch-King will be done soon. Weta sent me a photo, but unfortunately not with a view of the full sword.
            Wow! In bright light it could give off an other-worldly glow! Very nice!

            Comment


              Happy new year everyone.


              ergh. I had previously said I won’t be ordering Eowyn’s blade. But it is such a good looking sword..... must resist. Too much free time over the new year looking at Weta pics.

              Comment


                Happy New Year!

                Comment


                  I have the Glamdring Museum Collection piece and really enjoy it. They are hard to come by now, you can check online and eBay, it is even harder to find one with the decorative wooden case. Be careful to check the listings and look over the pictures for surface rust.

                  Comment


                    MSSG Glamdring has found its mate! I'm lucky enough to have received my MSSC Orcrist sword today, and now able able to pair my MSSC Glamdring with MSSC Orcrist together for display.

                    I must say Orcrist is quite a large sword, even larger than I expected - I might even go so far to say its a bit too big. That being said, the workmanship is truly dazzling and the scabbard work is of particular beauty.

                    One area I was very surprised at is that there is a fairly long "channel" that goes down almost the entire side of the Orcrist scabbard. Because the sword blade is narrow near the hilt and expands like a teardrop as it approaches the sword tip (before narrowing again as it reaches the point), the scabbard requires an open channel so that the blade can be inserted the entire length. Otherwise the wide part of the blade wouldn't fit into the scabbard.

                    This is a problem because the sharpened blade is exposed all the way down the side of the scabbard when drawing or returning the sword from/to the scabbard. So if someone is holding the scabbard with their hand (as is almost certain to happen) when drawing the sword, the person risks a large and nasty wound to their hand.

                    I was lucky that I didn't injure myself the first time I inserted the sword to the scabbard the first time, and only noticed the danger because I was inserting the blade very slowly and noticed the sword edge starting sticking way out the side of the scabbard. At first I thought there was a problem (damage) to the scabbard, but realized it was by design after close inspection.

                    This is a huge design issue (in my view) and I'll need to be very careful personally, but more importantly when allowing anyone to handle the sword / scabbard. The first thing someone will want to do is to pick up the scabbard and draw the blade, but if they do so, they will get a very deep gash in their hand.

                    Otherwise, the sword is pretty amazing and I'm happy to be able to add it to my collection. I'll be posting some pics once I get it in the display case.

                    Comment


                      Makes sense about the split in the scabbard and I am glad you noticed it before it became a blood bath.

                      Feel free to post some pictures of your masterpieces, omearmi

                      Comment


                        3B2031ED-4C67-492C-A84D-483349D9E134.jpeg
                        Originally posted by omearmi View Post
                        MSSG Glamdring has found its mate! I'm lucky enough to have received my MSSC Orcrist sword today, and now able able to pair my MSSC Glamdring with MSSC Orcrist together for display.

                        I must say Orcrist is quite a large sword, even larger than I expected - I might even go so far to say its a bit too big. That being said, the workmanship is truly dazzling and the scabbard work is of particular beauty.

                        One area I was very surprised at is that there is a fairly long "channel" that goes down almost the entire side of the Orcrist scabbard. Because the sword blade is narrow near the hilt and expands like a teardrop as it approaches the sword tip (before narrowing again as it reaches the point), the scabbard requires an open channel so that the blade can be inserted the entire length. Otherwise the wide part of the blade wouldn't fit into the scabbard.

                        This is a problem because the sharpened blade is exposed all the way down the side of the scabbard when drawing or returning the sword from/to the scabbard. So if someone is holding the scabbard with their hand (as is almost certain to happen) when drawing the sword, the person risks a large and nasty wound to their hand.

                        I was lucky that I didn't injure myself the first time I inserted the sword to the scabbard the first time, and only noticed the danger because I was inserting the blade very slowly and noticed the sword edge starting sticking way out the side of the scabbard. At first I thought there was a problem (damage) to the scabbard, but realized it was by design after close inspection.

                        This is a huge design issue (in my view) and I'll need to be very careful personally, but more importantly when allowing anyone to handle the sword / scabbard. The first thing someone will want to do is to pick up the scabbard and draw the blade, but if they do so, they will get a very deep gash in their hand.

                        Otherwise, the sword is pretty amazing and I'm happy to be able to add it to my collection. I'll be posting some pics once I get it in the display case.
                        Did they forget to attach the picture showing to make sure to be careful due to that. I had already know about that since it’s always been a know issue in the movie that if the sword was sharpened he would of cut his fingers when pulling out the blade.

                        Comment


                          Yes, some pictures would be appreciated please

                          Comment


                            I'm posting two videos of display cases. The first one is focused on The Hobbit (with MSSC Glamdring and MSSC Orcrist), while the second one focuses on LOTR (with UC Anduril UC Sting, and a custom blade from Fable Blades). You may need to change the view and "rotate left" to get a good horizontal positioning. I will post a few still photos too if anyone is interested.

                            Hobbit:
                            https://youtu.be/eDoHaxqFmcc

                            LOTR:
                            https://youtu.be/7IiQjjvcR9c
                            Last edited by omearmi; 8 January 2021, 09:33. Reason: updated with a horizontal view

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by omearmi View Post
                              I'm posting two videos of display cases. The first one is focused on The Hobbit (with MSSC Glamdring and MSSC Orcrist), while the second one focuses on LOTR (with UC Anduril UC Sting, and a custom blade from Fable Blades). You may need to change the view and "rotate left" to get a good horizontal positioning. I will post a few still photos too if anyone is interested.

                              Hobbit case:
                              https://youtu.be/1Lcs53G7zDw

                              LOTR case:
                              https://youtu.be/GOAk2KiXNgE
                              Videos are set to private and can't be seen.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by omearmi View Post
                                I'm posting two videos of display cases. The first one is focused on The Hobbit (with MSSC Glamdring and MSSC Orcrist), while the second one focuses on LOTR (with UC Anduril UC Sting, and a custom blade from Fable Blades). You may need to change the view and "rotate left" to get a good horizontal positioning. I will post a few still photos too if anyone is interested.

                                Hobbit case:
                                https://youtu.be/1Lcs53G7zDw

                                LOTR case:
                                https://youtu.be/GOAk2KiXNgE
                                Thank you for posting the videos! It is so rare to come across videos of MSSC swords, and I think the camera you used really showed the high-quality craftmanship of the swords. I also really like your display tables. Any chance you might post a link to the store where you bought them?

                                Comment


                                  I like how you set them up for display. You have some really good lighting which is something that I really lack for mine. The Glamdring looks beautiful displayed in there.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by asko View Post

                                    Thank you for posting the videos! It is so rare to come across videos of MSSC swords, and I think the camera you used really showed the high-quality craftmanship of the swords. I also really like your display tables. Any chance you might post a link to the store where you bought them?
                                    --------

                                    Thanks for the comments; BTW, I updated the videos so you can now view them horizontally (much easier viewing)

                                    Re: the request about the display tables, here is a link to the display tables; they are called "Ventana Console" tables. I really like the style and they have very cool doors on the front, which I really like.

                                    ??????https://www.crateandbarrel.com/venta...-table/s615637

                                    Also, they are shown as kind of expensive ($800 each), but I know someone selling two of them for $200 each (if you are near NY / Connecticut in the US).

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by omearmi View Post
                                      I'm posting two videos of display cases.
                                      Really nice swords and very nice displayed ... it looks perfect together with the other stuff.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
                                        I like how you set them up for display. You have some really good lighting which is something that I really lack for mine. The Glamdring looks beautiful displayed in there.
                                        Thanks ghettodactyl

                                        It took me awhile to find the right background, but I thought the maps came out pretty good. They are Dan Reeves from Decipher
                                        Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post
                                        3B2031ED-4C67-492C-A84D-483349D9E134.jpeg

                                        Did they forget to attach the picture showing to make sure to be careful due to that. I had already know about that since it’s always been a know issue in the movie that if the sword was sharpened he would of cut his fingers when pulling out the blade.
                                        That warning did come with it, but I thought it was a generic message like "hey this is a sword and is sharp so be careful". I didn't closely examine it as I should have.

                                        Comment


                                          Wonderfully displayed!

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X