Weta's Master Swordsmith's Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omearmi View Post
    Well, it's certainly true to say that "hope springs eternal" and in my case my hope was coupled with a large dose of luck. I've been fortunate enough to be able to acquire MSSC Glamdring #14, and couldn't be more pleased with the piece. As soon as I get it setup with the display case, I'll post some pictures. All I can say is "don't give up" if you're looking for that special piece; sometimes things just end up working out...
    First of all, congratulations on picking one up! Secondly, and more importantly, how did you manage to find one?
    Last edited by asko; 8 December 2020, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by cstojano View Post

I am with you. This is my first sword, I purchased the final piece available #14 and am just trying to finalize the issues with finish, scabbard, etc. Did I mention my daughter is named Eowyn. So yeah, of all the MSSC swords this was the one to get for me.
      Congratulations cstojano. Wow, that's so cool! It's beautiful name.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Phantom View Post

Congratulations cstojano. Wow, that's so cool! It's beautiful name.
        Greatest feat was getting my wife to agree ;) Fortunate that now uncommon names are more the norm than when I was born when saints named prevailed.

Comment

asko, it was a friend of a friend and I really just got lucky.

Comment

Pretty interesting to hear they're planning another sword release by the end of next year...any guesses on which sword might be next? I'm thinking Hadhafang!

Comment

Originally posted by Phreaky D View Post
              Pretty interesting to hear they're planning another sword release by the end of next year...any guesses on which sword might be next? I'm thinking Hadhafang!
              I assume the options will probably be one of the other 4 options that we sword owners got to vote on last year but didn’t get chosen. Just FYI if Hadhafang gets picked it’s going to run Orcrist kind of pricing. Both the sword and scabbard are more than Eowyns by a few thousand. I was surprised they plan on doing another release so soon.

Comment

Hope you don't mind me asking but was/is the price a lot more than 10 000 USD which is mentioned in Weta´s page? Scabbard is about 1000 (?) and then something extra depending on the finishing touch to the sword? I have no idea what would this kind of sword cost. Never going to afford one but just curious. It is a beautiful piece.
                I found this add in eBay and I just wonder if it's highly overpriced or not. There are some amazing pieces but the asking price
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/Middle-Eart...YAAOSwsvVd7plF

This one is also breath-taking and going through those pics
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/LORD-OF-THE...oAAOSwavRd5cuN

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan2000 View Post
                  Hope you don't mind me asking but was/is the price a lot more than 10 000 USD which is mentioned in Weta´s page? Scabbard is about 1000 (?)
                  As far as I know the scabbard costs almost as much as the sword does. So you could be over $20K for the package depending on the finish you chose.

Comment

Hope you don't mind me asking but was/is the price a lot more than 10 000 USD which is mentioned in Weta´s page? Scabbard is about 1000 (?) and then something extra depending on the finishing touch to the sword? I have no idea what would this kind of sword cost. Never going to afford one but just curious. It is a beautiful piece.
                    I found this add in eBay and I just wonder if it's highly overpriced or not. There are some amazing pieces but the asking price

The price mentioned on the page is for the sword only in the base option of a satin finish. The scabbards/belt usually cost as much as the sword. Eowyns scabbard/belt is $9,999 plus and extra $1000 if you want it aged or polished. This in addition to the other $9,999 the sword costs as well as if you want the added options. If you get the Eowyn sword and scabbard together you’re looking at $20,000 plus. Not many can afford to get the scabbard/belt when they get a MSSC sword. Generally speaking most owners of MSSC pieces probably only own 1 or two pieces due to the high costs. Besides me and TheWhiteHand I can only think of one or two other owners that have 3 or more pieces.

Also none of those eBay collection have MSSC pieces. They’re all the cheaper UC pieces mostly.
                    Last edited by ghettodactyl; 9 December 2020, 07:09.

Comment

Ok, thanks. They are expensive but very very beautiful. My hat's of for you guys

Comment

These pieces are indeed quite pricey and I have resisted buying one until now. This is because of money but also because I didn't have the attachment to the aesthetic of the other swords which (sorry guys) are beautiful but look somewhat generic IMO. I was seriously tempted by Sting, which I still think is THE MSSC piece to own for owners of just 1. Orcrist is also unique and recognizable but I wasn't a fan of the Hobbit movies so... (sorry again guys). LOTR hit at a special time in my life and will always have that memory for me so the nostalgia is quite high. At the time of Sting's release I couldn't justify the price, which makes my purchase of the Eowyn sword a bit mystifying, if I am being honest. But I always liked the Rohan aesthetic more than Gondor for some reason and this piece has a unique quality to it with the horses.

Having not held an MSSC in hand before I can only rely on the reports of others about the quality. But I also collect a lot of other areas and it's always the same rule, true quality has a sublimeness to it that creates awe in a person. It's that quality that allows a complete novice to see something and just, BANG, respect and appreciate the object without context or knowing what it really is.

That's my 4 cents for the night.
                        Last edited by cstojano; 9 December 2020, 15:43.

Comment

That first auction is WAY overpriced, imho.
                          I think there was a thread about it here on the forum a while back.

The second one seems at least reasonable, need to look into it to see if it's ok priced, at least.

/ Best regards Fredrik

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post

I assume the options will probably be one of the other 4 options that we sword owners got to vote on last year but didn’t get chosen. Just FYI if Hadhafang gets picked it’s going to run Orcrist kind of pricing. Both the sword and scabbard are more than Eowyns by a few thousand. I was surprised they plan on doing another release so soon.
                            What were the other 4 options? I would 100% buy Hadhafang or Aragorn's elven knife!

Comment

Originally posted by terminus View Post

What were the other 4 options? I would 100% buy Hadhafang or Aragorn's elven knife!
                              I’d like to list the 4 options, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to release the list even now that Eowyns swords been released. Weta didn’t want the list released previously to spoil the surprise.

TheWhiteHand do you know if we’re allowed to release the previous sword list that weta sent us now that Eowyns sword has been released?

Comment

I’d like to list the 4 options, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to release the list even now that Eowyns swords been released. Weta didn’t want the list released previously to spoil the surprise.

TheWhiteHand do you know if we’re allowed to release the previous sword list that weta sent us now that Eowyns sword has been released?
                                I've spoken to one of the Weta crew and they said it's ok to provide the list but not to divulge the prices or share the document

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteHand View Post

I've spoken to one of the Weta crew and they said it's ok to provide the list but not to divulge the prices or share the document
                                  I figured you’d be the one to know. I didn’t want to say something I wasn’t allowed to since I wasn’t sure. Since were able to say what the swords on the list were these were the 5 total choices from last year.

Eowyns Sword
                                  Eomers Sword
                                  Sting the human scale smaller version
                                  Hadhafang
                                  Morgul Dagger of the witch king

Comment

I figured you’d be the one to know. I didn’t want to say something I wasn’t allowed to since I wasn’t sure. Since were able to say what the swords on the list were these were the 5 total choices from last year.

Eowyns Sword
                                    Eomers Sword
                                    Sting the human scale smaller version
                                    Hadhafang
                                    Morgul Dagger of the witch king
                                    It will be interesting to see if the same options shows up later next year. I will probably vote for another Rohan sword.

Comment

Interesting about Sting. Have to say I'd be tempted by that but wonder what owners of the original Sting think about that possible offering.

Comment

Originally posted by cstojano View Post
                                        Interesting about Sting. Have to say I'd be tempted by that but wonder what owners of the original Sting think about that possible offering.
                                        Yeah I’m interested to hear what people are thinking with Sting. I know it’s a different scale but it will now be the third(sort of) offering of the sword. The first run was initially 15 of the large scale film version then they increased the edition size to 25 while changing it to the “fine art” version which was essentially the silver inlay vines on the grip vs the film version’s printed transfer of the vines.

Based on what ghettodactyl has said Weta didn’t sell very many of the film version so it sounds like the majority of Sting’s out there are the fine art version. I initially thought they sold out of the film version and they released the fine art version so I thought there were 40
                                        LOTR Sting’s out there in the wild especially considering on the site it states it was “back by popular demand” but it sounds like they only sold an edition size of 25 total and Weta may have just been referring to the fact that due to popularity they increased the total edition size
                                        from 15 to 25. Would need some clarification on that though.

It’s a very popular sword so I would imagine they would release this version at some point. I’m curious as to the edition size they would initially start with. Maybe go with 25 again with the possibility it could reach the max if the demand is there. Either way it will be interesting to see what they do.
                                        Last edited by Elestalrog; 12 December 2020, 02:38.

Comment

Also will be interesting to see the price if they do another Sting. It is smaller scale (I think) but then...inflation. If I understand correctly though this new version would be the cosplay version. Seems unlikely they would do this again so soon though, especially if they are asking previous buyers of MSSC to give their opinion, who would presumably much prefer anything else unless they missed out previously.

Comment

Working...
                                          X