Gollum 1:3 scale Mixed Media statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it is hard to run a global business and integrate the solution with all possible carriers, offer good prices and predict costs. This is specially true to the EU reality, all the different countries, carriers, etc. It is much easier to do business in the US for example - integrate with UPS and done.

I was moving my Gollum box today and that thing is heavy. The box is almost 5 times heavier than the statue and base. All the wood, leather fanciness added a lot to the cost, incl shipping. Transporting Gollum is like moving a small fridge. You can easily hurt your back.

All that said, be mindful this is no normal statue/box, dont expect normal shipping costs. Now if it is 200, not 300€ idk...

Comment

Originally posted by jrjhoe View Post

That is exactly my point. I’ve been a weta collector since the ssw days, and always had a good experience with their cs up to now. Which is why this feels like the end of an era.

Life’s too short to get angry about this sort of thing, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind for future considerations...
      Same here my friend, my first piece was ML on Fellbeast after watching the Gollum DVD and I've been an avid fan ever since. Never had a bad experience, but I'd certainly be looking for other vendors and avenues if this were my experience. I feel for you all, $300 to ship anything is outrageous, but the fact that it's not even using the supposed $300 service is just egregious. It doesn't bother if it indeed did cost that much and there was no other option, I just wouldn't buy it, but it sounds like there clearly was another option and it shouldn't cost that much. Not sure what to think, I feel bad having the mindset that it didn't happen to me so it's not my problem, but I don't think it's fair to let something that didn't happen to me influence my collecting/buying decisions. Maybe I should...

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
      I know it is hard to run a global business and integrate the solution with all possible carriers, offer good prices and predict costs. This is specially true to the EU reality, all the different countries, carriers, etc. It is much easier to do business in the US for example - integrate with UPS and done.

I was moving my Gollum box today and that thing is heavy. The box is almost 5 times heavier than the statue and base. All the wood, leather fanciness added a lot to the cost, incl shipping. Transporting Gollum is like moving a small fridge. You can easily hurt your back.

All that said, be mindful this is no normal statue/box, dont expect normal shipping costs. Now if it is 200, not 300€ idk...
      I paid $55 for my Gollum shipment, and it's traveling around 2000 miles from Washington to Missouri. I get customs fees and the whole international taxes stuff adds to that, but 245$ more?! US has a lot of faults, I mean A LOT, but good lord I'm glad that's not one of them. Eventually I'll need to pay medical bills so high I won't be able to buy food, but at least my collectible shipping is cheaper!
      Last edited by Minuialwen; 9th December 2019, 17:15. Reason: Merged

Comment

Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

I think the key here is that they are being charged for expedited shipping for what is supposedly out of the standard range (either dimensions or weight, doesn't matter), yet when the item arrives the packages and the carriers indicate normal shipping. There's no excuse for that, doesn't matter if it's an accident or done on purpose. It's clearly shipped standard based on what the package and courier say, but that is not what they are being charged. There's no explaining that, and the fact that they're communicating this stuff in a condescending way is just icing on the cake. I'm a Wetaholic, love this company and stay loyal to it, but I'm a little shaken by this. I've never had a bad customer service experience with them, but were I in jrjoe's position I would be absolutely LIVID. It doesn't matter that the piece was on sale, you should get what you pay for. Don't put that kind of discount on it if you don't intend to honor the normal shipping and replacement contingencies. Bottom line is these people are not getting expedited shipping even though they are being made to pay for it. Not acceptable service regardless of circumstance.
        infinity + 1

Comment

Originally posted by HeraldElrond

I paid $55 for my Gollum shipment, and it's traveling around 2000 miles from Washington to Missouri. I get customs fees and the whole international taxes stuff adds to that, but 245$ more?! US has a lot of faults, I mean A LOT, but good lord I'm glad that's not one of them. Eventually I'll need to pay medical bills so high I won't be able to buy food, but at least my collectible shipping is cheaper!
          That is it, compare US medical bills with EU and they will thank Weta for the expensive shipping. You cant have everything, I collect while healthy, the day I fall sick I will move back to Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by HeraldElrond

Import fees can still suck here in the US even though we have some of the cheapest fees around. It just depends on the item from weta. My last two swords I ended up paying around $3,500 in shipping and import fees. Shipping was around $800 for shipping both at the same time so I saved a little doing that. Import fees were just shy of $3,000.

Comment

Originally posted by ghettodactyl View Post

Import fees can still suck here in the US even though we have some of the cheapest fees around. It just depends on the item from weta. My last two swords I ended up paying around $3,500 in shipping and import fees. Shipping was around $800 for shipping both at the same time so I saved a little doing that. Import fees were just shy of $3,000.
              Holy mother of collectibles... I've never paid an import fee...

pocketreef Can I come with you?

Comment

You won’t see a fee until your items cost over $2,500 which is why you’ve probably never seen any before. Which unless you get custom made pieces from weta that cost a lot you should never really see the fee buying from their normal online store.

Comment

You won’t see a fee until your items cost over $2,500 which is why you’ve probably never seen any before. Which unless you get custom made pieces from weta that cost a lot you should never really see the fee buying from their normal online store.
                  Good to know in case that ever happens, I mean I doubt it will, but I guess it almost did with Treebeard. I'd love to get one of the swords but it's just a little too rich for my blood. TB and GoCart were more than expensive enough. I suppose once I'm a little older and maybe a little more well off it might happen someday. Thanks for the info!!

Comment

I paid 100% to 150% import fee in Brazil. In Switzerland I paid some import duties, not a lot, France and Germany too much tax and all else. In the US it is amazing to be a collector, next day delivery, cashback, WYSIWYG, ebay bucks, paypal credit, 24x interest fee paypal credit, sometimes no tax, many times no shipping, awesome stock from Weta, omg when I hear about overseas assignments now I hide. Who needs affordable health if you can have collectibles.

Comment

I paid 100% to 150% import fee in Brazil. In Switzerland I paid some import duties, not a lot, France and Germany too much tax and all else. In the US it is amazing to be a collector, next day delivery, cashback, WYSIWYG, ebay bucks, paypal credit, 24x interest fee paypal credit, sometimes no tax, many times no shipping, awesome stock from Weta, omg when I hear about overseas assignments now I hide. Who needs affordable health if you can have collectibles.
                      Man that sounds like a very, very good dream I would love to benefit from such things. And also be able to get stuff from prime 1 etc at actual cost. That's the dream with all new JP stuff coming out and soon more LOTR. As it is now, it's too far of a reach with the import/shipping costs on top of retail sadly.
                      My Gallery: http://flameofudun.net/forum/communi...ooms-creations

Comment

I could never move anyway, they like the wrong kind of football over there. *runs and hides

Didn't mean to steer the thread off topic though. Can't wait to get my Gollum on Monday. That pic is excellent N2Darkness. Love the eyes so much.

Comment

oh wow i didnt know we had import fees either -- good lesson learned. thanks for that info.

Comment

does anyone where is the cheapest place to get like a acrylic like case that can be placed on top of it if sitting on a table

Comment

Originally posted by joogle View Post
                              does anyone where is the cheapest place to get like a acrylic like case that can be placed on top of it if sitting on a table
                              I haven't ordered from them yet, so I can't speak to the quality of their products, but I located this company while researching options a few months ago. Items hand pricing look decent to me. https://www.casesforcollectibles.com/acrylicboxes.html
                              "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
                              ~~Thorin Oakenshield

Comment

It would be extremely difficult to find one to the exact dimensions needed for Gollum. Sounds like something that you either try your hand at by buying the acrylic sheets and if you're handy, or having it custom-made.

Comment

I learned MC Gollum is a dust magnet, protecting it is absolutely needed. Cleaning the water will scratch that resin easily.

Comment

I've also seen it displayed under a large glass or acrylic dome, which would also look very nice. Finding one would be the difficult part.
                                    Last edited by N2Darkness; 7th December 2019, 19:02.
                                    https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

I've also seen it displayed under a large glass or acrylic dome, which would also look very nice. Finding one would be the difficult part.
                                      Wow that looks really nice! Finding one that large does seem quite the challenge though indeed.

Comment

I just unboxed my Gollum MC and I think he is STUNNING! Very happy with my purchase and he is a definite centerpiece for anyone's collection!

Comment

Ithildin bravo

Comment

Working...
                                          X