Gollum 1:3 scale Mixed Media statue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by jrjhoe View Post
    Mine doesn’t appear to have a significantly warped base, fit of Gollum is good enough but not to the level you’d expect at the original price point. Statue itself is fantastic though.

    @ other European collectors: did you also pay for expedited courier service, but got it shipped using base-rate dpd?
    Cheers to your Gollum.
    Is there any mention on the shipping label that confirms this was shipped at base rate and not expedited?

    I find really odd that shipping fees situation.
    We got multi replies saying that box is supposed to be over 31 kg and exceeds allowance by DPD,so Weta had to choose for the super expensive option.
    While people here are confirming their delivery is now standard.
    Did DPD actually charged them an extra cost for that big box,i think yes but what s the real price and for what method?


    Originally posted by Stig View Post

    Has anyone contacted Weta about those shipping rates. It shouldn't be any more than Treebeard which was two massive boxes.
    Yes Stig,Celagar got a reply and then me too.
    yes I even mentioned that Treebeard box 1 is almost exactly the same dimension as Gollum’s box.TB box1 is even a bit larger and contents weighter.
    And TB was shipped via UPS standard that I am quite sure the company rates are more expensive than DPD.

    But I only received the same info that the parcel of Gollum is 31kg etc....that was not completely an informative answer to me but I had to accept it like the others who mailed their concerns.
    I was upon writing a reply with more infos of package etc...but I believed it could have been not well received,so....m

    Seems clear to me that something is wrong because shipping a large box is no more an issue nowadays.....but 300 euros isn t fair to me.
    Last edited by Minuialwen; 9th December 2019, 18:11. Reason: Merged

    Comment


      Originally posted by jrjhoe View Post
      Mine doesn’t appear to have a significantly warped base, fit of Gollum is good enough but not to the level you’d expect at the original price point. Statue itself is fantastic though.
      Don't get me wrong, he is a very detailed and a great piece. After you futz with his hair (used a wet paintbrush) and adjust the loin cloth he is very photogenic.

      MCG.jpg
      https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

      Comment


        N2Darkness Excellent pic

        Comment


          Originally posted by jrjhoe View Post
          Mine doesn’t appear to have a significantly warped base, fit of Gollum is good enough but not to the level you’d expect at the original price point. Statue itself is fantastic though.

          @ other European collectors: did you also pay for expedited courier service, but got it shipped using base-rate dpd?
          My MC Gollum was delivered by DPD two days ago.

          I asked the delivery guy about some details about the box and he confirmed me, that it´s a regular parcel - NO overweight, NO oversize and NO expedited post!

          After I signed the delivery I put the box on my scale and weighed it - 30,9 kg.

          The printed weight on the original shipping label from DPD is 10 kg (I know that´s wrong) and is marked as "normal parcel". There is NO sign or mark that indicates it´s an "Expedited Post" parcel.

          When I checked the packinglist I was really suprised: "Total quantity pallets: 1; Total gross weight: 31,000 kg; Total quantity pieces: 1". Shipment on a pallet??? And again 31 kg on the original Weta packinglist!

          I got in touch with DPD Netherlands and asked about some shipping guidelines and the shipping terms and conditions. They confirmed me that the maximum weight for an international box is 31,5 kg! (https://www.dpd.com/nl/en/support/shipping-guidelines/).

          A lot of facts about the shipping quote that something is wrong here.

          Comment



            10kg is written almost everywhere, no matter how heavy bigger packages are

            Comment


              Marda7 thank you for the infos and that you have scaled your box

              So the package is really 31kg and just under the weight limit for international shipments.
              Label only 10kg but packinglist correct....


              Originally posted by Plat View Post
              10kg is written almost everywhere, no matter how heavy bigger packages are

              What do you mean by everywhere ?
              Last edited by Minuialwen; 9th December 2019, 18:12. Reason: Merged

              Comment


                Yes, I contacted them several times: first time, right after ordering, I received the standard “31 kg” reply. When I got the dpd tracking I contacted them again, this time I received a rather irritated-sounding reply (starting with “Again, ...”). That was four days ago.

                I sent them several messages after that, including a picture of the shipping label (which says ‘normal’ and indeed ‘10 kg’), requesting them to look into this, but complete radio silence from then on.
                Always on the hunt

                Comment


                  Originally posted by jrjhoe View Post
                  Yes, I contacted them several times: first time, right after ordering, I received the standard “31 kg” reply. When I got the dpd tracking I contacted them again, this time I received a rather irritated-sounding reply (starting with “Again, ...”). That was four days ago.

                  I sent them several messages after that, including a picture of the shipping label (which says ‘normal’ and indeed ‘10 kg’), requesting them to look into this, but complete radio silence from then on.
                  I think excluding the expedited courrier issue,is to know the real cost of shipping with DPD standard and expedited.
                  I tried to find in their website here to simulate a shipping rate but I can t.I think a member or professional account is needed...

                  I mean I believe Weta is not trying to make money on ours shipping rates.These have always been as fair as possible and even sometimes lesser than what it could be.But for Gollum,I am still unsure?
                  Last edited by seregon13; 6th December 2019, 09:55.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by seregon13


                    What do you mean by everywhere ?

                    On most larger packages the value is 10 kg even if they are heavier

                    Comment


                      Since they’ve always been honest, I’m assuming that it’ll be addressed and that either:
                      - They pay an unfair rate to dpd, or
                      - There is some sort of mis-communication going on.

                      Always on the hunt

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post



                        If you don't touch the statue these things aren't even noticeable. You notice then right away as you are assembling him. It's something I can live with and may slightly correct itself over time as the polystone warms up. Heck the last 5 or 6 statues I have received (including Treebeard) have all had warped bases and I have come to kind of except it as a newer Weta trait.

                        Looking forward to other opinions as they receive theirs.
                        Thanks N2. I was wondering about that. If the base would flatten out over time with weight on it. Great job with the hair using a wet paintbrush. I'll do the same with mine, thanks for the pro tip.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post



                          If you don't touch the statue these things aren't even noticeable. You notice then right away as you are assembling him. It's something I can live with and may slightly correct itself over time as the polystone warms up. Heck the last 5 or 6 statues I have received (including Treebeard) have all had warped bases and I have come to kind of except it as a newer Weta trait.

                          Looking forward to other opinions as they receive theirs.
                          My Treebeard did that at first. It was only a very very slight wobble, but one of the rubber pads was definitely not touching the shelf. After being on display for a few weeks there was no more wobble. Smaug did the same thing. Neither of mine still wobble though.

                          Comment


                            Well, I just received a rather rude reply on the shipping matter, having the ring of finality to it but still not addressing the issue (paying for expedited courier but receiving using flat-rate dpd). Still, I suppose I’ll let it go as I don’t see this getting resolved or even addressed.

                            This really does feel like the end of an era!
                            Always on the hunt

                            Comment


                              jrjhoe

                              Is it possible to share your interaction? While I think the discounts available on these recent sales have been very beneficial to us collectors (I purchased Gollum, but in the US shipping wasn’t bad), I in no way believe it is acceptable to deceive on shipping for profit so I would like to be able to inform my own thoughts (as I assume others would) on whether that is something that they may have been doing. Thanks in advance.

                              Comment


                                I’m behind on reading the posts here but the main culprit on shipping prices is not weight of item but dimensions

                                it really doesn’t matter as much if something weighs 10lbs or 50 if the dimensions are large then it will cost more

                                gollum is over 60 inches total dimensions _ the box

                                anything over 60 inches will spike shipping significantly

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by dagriff1 View Post
                                  jrjhoe

                                  Is it possible to share your interaction? While I think the discounts available on these recent sales have been very beneficial to us collectors (I purchased Gollum, but in the US shipping wasn’t bad), I in no way believe it is acceptable to deceive on shipping for profit so I would like to be able to inform my own thoughts (as I assume others would) on whether that is something that they may have been doing. Thanks in advance.
                                  Privacy policy (as well as my personal values) doesn't/don't allow me to share private conversations with third parties, so I can't share our mail exchange. I wish they had given me the means to deny that they turn a profit on shipping, but they didn't. I can only tell you that
                                  (a) I did not get an answer to my question (why do I pay for expedited courier and get standard dpd service), and
                                  (b) The tone of the emails I received was increasingly condescending in a pedantic way.

                                  Especially (b) is not a manner I appreciate to be dealt with on any item, let alone a rather luxury-oriented one such as this. Sad to see it go this way!
                                  Always on the hunt

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by joogle View Post
                                    I’m behind on reading the posts here but the main culprit on shipping prices is not weight of item but dimensions

                                    it really doesn’t matter as much if something weighs 10lbs or 50 if the dimensions are large then it will cost more

                                    gollum is over 60 inches total dimensions _ the box

                                    anything over 60 inches will spike shipping significantly
                                    I think the key here is that they are being charged for expedited shipping for what is supposedly out of the standard range (either dimensions or weight, doesn't matter), yet when the item arrives the packages and the carriers indicate normal shipping. There's no excuse for that, doesn't matter if it's an accident or done on purpose. It's clearly shipped standard based on what the package and courier say, but that is not what they are being charged. There's no explaining that, and the fact that they're communicating this stuff in a condescending way is just icing on the cake. I'm a Wetaholic, love this company and stay loyal to it, but I'm a little shaken by this. I've never had a bad customer service experience with them, but were I in jrjoe's position I would be absolutely LIVID. It doesn't matter that the piece was on sale, you should get what you pay for. Don't put that kind of discount on it if you don't intend to honor the normal shipping and replacement contingencies. Bottom line is these people are not getting expedited shipping even though they are being made to pay for it. Not acceptable service regardless of circumstance.
                                    Last edited by HeraldElrond; 7th December 2019, 03:58.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                                      I think the key here is that they are being charged for expedited shipping for what is supposedly out of the standard range (either dimensions or weight, doesn't matter), yet when the item arrives the packages and the carriers indicate normal shipping. There's no excuse for that, doesn't matter if it's an accident or done on purpose. It's clearly shipped standard based on what the package and courier say, but that is not what they are being charged. There's no explaining that, and the fact that they're communicating this stuff in a condescending way is just icing on the cake. I'm a Wetaholic, love this company and stay loyal to it, but I'm a little shaken by this. I've never had a bad customer service experience with them, but were I in jrjoe's position I would be absolutely LIVID. It doesn't matter that the piece was on sale, you should get what you pay for. Don't put that kind of discount on it if you don't intend to honor the normal shipping and replacement contingencies. Bottom line is these people are not getting expedited shipping even though they are being made to pay for it. Not acceptable service regardless of circumstance.
                                      That is exactly my point. I’ve been a weta collector since the ssw days, and always had a good experience with their cs up to now. Which is why this feels like the end of an era.

                                      Life’s too short to get angry about this sort of thing, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind for future considerations...
                                      Always on the hunt

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by jrjhoe View Post
                                        Well, I just received a rather rude reply on the shipping matter, having the ring of finality to it but still not addressing the issue (paying for expedited courier but receiving using flat-rate dpd). Still, I suppose I’ll let it go as I don’t see this getting resolved or even addressed.

                                        This really does feel like the end of an era!
                                        Weta died when Megan left

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                                          I think the key here is that they are being charged for expedited shipping for what is supposedly out of the standard range (either dimensions or weight, doesn't matter), yet when the item arrives the packages and the carriers indicate normal shipping. There's no excuse for that, doesn't matter if it's an accident or done on purpose. It's clearly shipped standard based on what the package and courier say, but that is not what they are being charged. There's no explaining that, and the fact that they're communicating this stuff in a condescending way is just icing on the cake. I'm a Wetaholic, love this company and stay loyal to it, but I'm a little shaken by this. I've never had a bad customer service experience with them, but were I in jrjoe's position I would be absolutely LIVID. It doesn't matter that the piece was on sale, you should get what you pay for. Don't put that kind of discount on it if you don't intend to honor the normal shipping and replacement contingencies. Bottom line is these people are not getting expedited shipping even though they are being made to pay for it. Not acceptable service regardless of circumstance.
                                          Totally agree!

                                          The point is, the customer service from DPD Netherlands confirmed me that an Expedited Post parcel in the same country will get delivered at the next business day and an Expedited Post parcel for international shipping (Europe) in 1 - 3 business days. When a parcel get shipped expedited, a Saturday is a business day as well, not only Monday to Friday like a regular parcel. I ordered MC Gollum on the 27th of Nov and it got shipped on the 28th of Nov. He arrived on the 3rd of Dec and this shows us it tooks five business days to get delivered - so again, the parcel was NOT shipped expedited.

                                          So why I had to pay for an expensive service, but don´t got it in time?

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X