Gollum 1:3 scale Mixed Media statue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thank you my friends
    I think i will order this beauty

    Comment


      Originally posted by Plat View Post
      Thank you my friends
      I think i will order this beauty
      Did you find it on sale? I was tracking you on this purchase, was hoping you would alert us of a sale.

      Comment


        1220€
        is this a good price?
        I think yes
        What did you say?

        Comment


          Originally posted by joogle View Post

          Did you find it on sale? I was tracking you on this purchase, was hoping you would alert us of a sale.

          As mentioned over in the GoCart thread a couple of days ago:

          Originally posted by Goliath View Post
          We are getting off-topic, but since we talk about MC Gollum and his price / perceived value: he's on sale right now for EUR 1225 at bunker158.

          Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them and have never bought from them.
          Originally posted by Goliath View Post

          A shop - bunker158.com

          Gollum MC @ bunker158

          Comment


            Goliath

            5 € cheaper

            I think 1225 € is a great price and I do not think that we will get it the cheaper. I think WETA is now trying to sell the stocks produced to dealers without ever reach the full production.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Plat View Post
              Goliath

              5 € cheaper

              I think 1225 € is a great price and I do not think that we will get it the cheaper. I think WETA is now trying to sell the stocks produced to dealers without ever reach the full production.
              I think that statue is a total disaster for MC. I own the gollum pf and it's a pretty good one for the price.

              Comment


                I fail to understand why Gollum was not a commercial sucess. It is a great looking statue and quite impressive. I do not know if the price scared people away being the first MC, or if Gollum himself is not as collectable as other creatures, or if people just expected a larger statue being a MC...I honestly have mulled buying another one just for the sake of keeping a backup "just in case", so much I am in love with it....

                Comment


                  I think the MC in general is way too overpriced; people are hesitating to pay so much money on only a "statue". However, Treebeard was one of a kind and GoCart will be as well, while Gollum has been represented in many different forms already. I think less people are buying the MC of Gollum because they already have him in another form, making it not worth the investment to get him again, even though he looks amazing.
                  Last edited by Celaglar; 22nd October 2019, 23:11.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Loalq View Post
                    ... It is a great looking statue and quite impressive. ... I honestly have mulled buying another one just for the sake of keeping a backup "just in case", so much I am in love with it....
                    I quite agree, and he truly did set the benchmark for quality and artistry in the masters statues.

                    And that is dedication!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                      I think the MC in general is way too overpriced; people are hesitating to pay so much money on only a "statue". However, Treebeard was one of a kind and GoCart will be as well, while Gollum has been represented in many different forms already. I think less people are buying the MC of Gollum because they already have him in another form, making it not worth the investment to get him again, even though he looks amazing.
                      You have valid points there! For me Gollum MC was never a doubt, given that that moment in particular is what brings up the best and scariest memories have about reading the Hobbit as a kid some 25-30y ago. It still is for me the most memorable scene in the movies as well, so seeing such depiction has great emotional value to me...

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                        I think the MC in general is way too overpriced; people are hesitating to pay so much money on only a "statue". However, Treebeard was one of a kind and GoCart will be as well, while Gollum has been represented in many different forms already. I think less people are buying the MC of Gollum because they already have him in another form, making it not worth the investment to get him again, even though he looks amazing.
                        I agree. A lot of collectors (especially here) have been collecting for a long time. However, for me, as a new collector without a previous Gollum statue, the MC Gollum is absolutely superb. The mixed media usage with the hair, eyes, resin, and leather really place it way ahead of a lot of other items I own or I've seen released. In my mind, the only other MC piece ahead of it is TB as it's such a unique and large piece with intricate detail. While GoCart is nice, I believe the craftsmanship is below Gollum. Not to say it's bad, as it's far from it. But for me, it's just a very large 1/6 statue and unfortunately one that doesn't include the likeness of EW as Frodo. The biggest draw I can tell from collectors is that it's just an iconic scene they've wanted a statue for for a very long time. Anywho, I completely agree GoCart has the advantage of being attractive to collectors if all stages. It's just that if anyone is on the fence with MC Gollum and can get one, especially on sale, you won't be disappointed.

                        Comment



                          Will come but not until next year when my payment plan is finished. Luckily I got the opportunity to pay in installments. I will convince myself in a few months of what you have written here and think that you are absolutely right

                          Comment


                            My MC Gollum arrived. It is incredible. Words from my wife: I prefer treebeard but Gollum is a better statue, so realistic that it is creepy.

                            And I agree with her and I am not the biggest Gollum fan - the real hair, skin tone, the organic pose, perfect sculpt and amazingly detailed wet base makes this statue in my opinion the best ever released by Weta. I cannot think of how this could have been better.

                            It does look like at any moment he will jump at my throat with that piece of bone. I am trying to find a large glass dome to protect me from his intentions. If I hear "is he soft, is he juicy" I swear I run.

                            Weta's mistake with this piece was the ES, too large for the price but thanks to their mistake now I can enjoy this. If Gollum does show up on BF totally go for it, otherwise it can be found for around 1100-1200 usd with free shipping which is quite a bargain for the package.

                            Comment


                              Congrats my friend!

                              Must wait until next february,please can you make some pics?

                              Comment


                                Enjoyed your review Pocket. I have my eye on a reverse auction for this piece. You are right about the reason this didn't sell out at PO. If the edition size would have been 300 it would not have lasted. Since Weta is essentially putting them on sale through their distributors already, I'm thinking that there is a chance they will do so during this sale.

                                Comment


                                  Unfortunately I think Weta will keep playing it safe and bringing MC in 1:6 given the established collector base, the success of TB, etc. The ultimate collectible to me would be a 1:3 GTG in mixed media, real hair, large base, Moria staff - like the PF but better.

                                  Plat - If I capture good pics I will publish.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
                                    U

                                    Plat - If I capture good pics I will publish.
                                    Great,thanks.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
                                      Unfortunately I think Weta will keep playing it safe and bringing MC in 1:6 given the established collector base, the success of TB, etc. The ultimate collectible to me would be a 1:3 GTG in mixed media, real hair, large base, Moria staff - like the PF but better.

                                      Plat - If I capture good pics I will publish.
                                      1/3 GTG is my dream piece, let’s hope the do it one day, with his robes etc it lends itself to mixed media

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Moriaman View Post

                                        1/3 GTG is my dream piece, let’s hope the do it one day, with his robes etc it lends itself to mixed media
                                        I have a lot of the SS PF 1/4 scale statues and I really really like them. But I have come to feel that I would prefer a full poly statue over a mixed media statue. Heaven forbid that they actually do real or synthetic hair for these pieces because it would look like a doll made by Mattel. Even SS didn't go that far with their PF's They got close with the Galadriel PF but thankfully decided to go with poly hair instead. Weta got away with it with Gollum because the hobbit is almost bald.

                                        Franklin Mint made one with synthetic hair, ouch...



                                        Prime 1 sometimes makes statues in two versions one with a fabric cape and one with a poly cape, the poly versions always sell out first I believe. Poly will always give you better detail than any fabric. So if Weta ever does Gandalf or any other characters, I'm praying it's all poly.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

                                          I have a lot of the SS PF 1/4 scale statues and I really really like them. But I have come to feel that I would prefer a full poly statue over a mixed media statue. Heaven forbid that they actually do real or synthetic hair for these pieces because it would look like a doll made by Mattel. Even SS didn't go that far with their PF's They got close with the Galadriel PF but thankfully decided to go with poly hair instead. Weta got away with it with Gollum because the hobbit is almost bald.

                                          Franklin Mint made one with synthetic hair, ouch...



                                          Prime 1 sometimes makes statues in two versions one with a fabric cape and one with a poly cape, the poly versions always sell out first I believe. Poly will always give you better detail than any fabric. So if Weta ever does Gandalf or any other characters, I'm praying it's all poly.
                                          Yes it’s a strange phenomenon isn’t it? Unfortunately using real hair or fabric on a miniature reproduction is similar to using real water on a scale model, it seldom looks realistic.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X