Gollum 1:3 scale Mixed Media statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

Until recently it was a fairly closed market and certain 'Western' publications were very limited. They have loosened up more now and people are finding out about ME, and yes, there is some mega bucks to be harvested there.
    Yes, partly agreed to this. But you know, even there're many people in China get to know about Middle-earth and Weta, especially these past few years, collectors are mostly people aged between 20-40 as myself. Some may be rich but most are just normal customers like most of the people here, I think.

So especially for this Gollum piece, I don't think its price is attractive to Chinese customers either. As I talked to a local retailer (he runs an online shop selling Weta products in China), he was shocked by the price tag and thought people who pre-ordered this from his shop might have a great chance to cancel the orders.

Originally posted by gideon View Post

You have to wonder what the LOTR trilogy could have grossed if they had had the market in China that exists today? I think an easy $200 million more per film.
    Hmmmmm, it might do.

Comment

238 left in stock. Thats gone down from 240 in a week. Started at 250. Bad for the future of the collection, which is a shame but surely Weta must have known it inevitable that there are limits to even the die hard collectors. At half the price this would have been a popular item, and still would have carried a premium price.

Comment

after finally getting my flickr account going, I thought I'd post a pic I took trying to show off the cat like eyes

Comment

That refection from the water is terrific.

Comment

Originally posted by fireofdoomuk View Post
            238 left in stock. Thats gone down from 240 in a week. Started at 250. Bad for the future of the collection, which is a shame but surely Weta must have known it inevitable that there are limits to even the die hard collectors. At half the price this would have been a popular item, and still would have carried a premium price.
            Finally customers are punishing their ruthless moneygrabbing - should have happened way earlier, namely with Minas Tirith space price, Grond and so forth. But since those statues sold nicely WETA stepped up their game and tested with Gollum if customers would bite again. I've had enough of getting fleeced and only hunt old SSW statues and miniatures these days
            Last edited by Blue Book of Eastmarch; 7th December 2017, 17:06.

Comment

Finally I saw this statue and it is absolutely gorgeous. However, never in my life I'm spending this much on a statue... Unless I win the lottery...
              hKZJ4dWpAA66a_JFAYJT3dzPa86331rXaxNsbL0shlEIX16k1p7TcRGzbhrqrPgZVA1_MHKMoNh06NBA6qJnp0BLcAdfILskEHDuR9ftMsefpgu_S3fctd2LYf0lYxPvMQe0Dh2vUkWtjnvUeRYcGs7z3YVK3UrJywceIiDSYCcIQBKxLAYSchP9NPlpL3OIcwGxzUTtX2N5pEUZKegnJS15LRzBbnr33jzaQ1P2jvc8hyuMVE64PQmv-Dz8zh5

Comment

Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                The detail is amazing, but even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy this one It's too big for our current home, but the best reason: little Gollum is already creepy enough Imagine putting him in the bedroom, waking up next to a big Gollum

Comment

Surely it is a beautiful statue finely detailed but at this price I would never buy it, I hope that maybe the next black friday discount it and maybe I would do a little thought.

Comment

Beautiful statue but I am not going to buy statues with these price tags although I am curious to know about the next statue in this line.

Comment

I would love the next one to actually be an environment! specifically the Doors of Moria!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post

The detail is amazing, but even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy this one It's too big for our current home, but the best reason: little Gollum is already creepy enough Imagine putting him in the bedroom, waking up next to a big Gollum
                        The thing is; if you win the main prize in the lottery you get yourself a larger home and is left with money and room for this Gollum. And a few others in this line

Comment

Originally posted by Stig View Post

The thing is; if you win the main prize in the lottery you get yourself a larger home and is left with money and room for this Gollum. And a few others in this line
                          True true

Comment

I got my email saying payments are being processed over next 2 weeks! Sooooo excited

Comment

Same. And TOE. Big credit card bill!!!

Comment

Very interested in seeing in-hand pictures of this one.

Comment

I was thinking just the same thing.
                                  O, and a video.
                                  In daylight

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post

O, and a video.
                                    In daylight
                                    What they said!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksken View Post

O, and a video.
                                      In daylight
                                      Originally posted by Olórin View Post

What they said!
                                      What they all said, plus:

I'm more interested in what the person has to say about the statue. I know that pictures are worth a 1000 words, but sometimes a written review is the 100 words that are more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Minuialwen View Post

What they all said, plus:

I'm more interested in what the person has to say about the statue. I know that pictures are worth a 1000 words, but sometimes a written review is the 100 words that are more accurate.
                                        I agree. I love all the photos but I LOVE when they accompanied by a good review. The good, the bad and the ugly. Most of these pieces need to be seen to really understand how they look.

I really appreciate Josh's reviews because of this. We see the photos and get the detailed review. And I also appreciate that fact that he is willing to point out the good as well as the not so good things about the pieces he reviews.
                                        Last edited by Ithildin; 18th March 2018, 08:12.

Comment

wow --- someone received their Gollum 1:3 and despite the poor pic quality.. it looks really good knowing that statues look way better in person

29356101_280891492447345_8538474922379313152_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29343156_280891589114002_3207137004311543808_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29342447_280891535780674_4457243405394640896_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29342185_280891539114007_1443695991751442432_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29340399_280891532447341_8262407210710073344_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29425428_280891655780662_5675535222779674624_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29366336_280891662447328_3170904226410790912_n by brian a, on Flickr
                                          29357161_280891632447331_5643281186617819136_n by brian a, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                          X