Gollum 1:3 scale Mixed Media statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed. Aragorn and Gandalf with good likenesses I would pay the money for. No doubt. Personally I want a Thorin as well. But Gandalf and Aragorn are musts.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
      I haven't commented yet but I have to admit it was more than I was expecting. That being said I'm not personally offended by the price like some people. If you can't afford it then don't buy it. It's clearly meant as a niche fine art piece rather than a general collectable. However the edition size does surprise me. I thought it would only be 100, maybe 200 especially at this price point.

If I hadn't just bought the 1:1 version as well that's on the way (for about the same price overall!), I would be picking this up. You can't deny it looks stunning.
      Where will you be keeping the life size version? Do you have space to showcase a figure of that size?

Comment

Originally posted by joogle View Post

Where will you be keeping the life size version? Do you have space to showcase a figure of that size?
        Haha!! Well that's the million dollar question!

At the moment it will unfortunately be in storage as I'm currently in between moves, but eventually yes I will have planned for it! I don't have a massive collection of 1:6 figures to worry about (only environments along with swords and other props etc), so I should have room somewhere!

Comment

Given the price etc and that this is a Masterpiece collectible, will each piece be pained etc 'in-house' I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy D View Post
            Given the price etc and that this is a Masterpiece collectible, will each piece be pained etc 'in-house' I wonder?
            For the price it will be painted at your own house in front of you

But seriously, I would imagine if a small edition then probably. If a high es of 2 - 3 hundred then contracted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

For the price it will be painted at your own house in front of you

But seriously, I would imagine if a small edition then probably. If a high es of 2 - 3 hundred then contracted out.
              Thats what I wondered.

If if this is their definitive line then surely (just like Peter Lyon making the swords) you would expect the Weta artists themselves to perform the paint job etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Radagaster View Post
                They could've made this out of Bronze and sold it easily for that price. Then it'd be an easy grail.
                How about they actually fulfill the bronze orders for the John Howe pieces, which they decided to just list as SOLD OUT, when in reality they made very few of each and left several of us hanging after a year wait. Not bitter at all, I swear. I suspect based on reactions here and on FB that this will not make it to the stated ES and any in development pieces will just quietly fade away. They will list it as sold out when in reality very few sell. Remember that teased, blurred pic with John Howe showing what was clearly a figure on a horse. Well that was supposed to be a bronze version of his mounted wraith painting, quietly disappeared. Once again, not bitter, I swear. Weta bring back the bronzes! I agreed to pay you 7000 dollars for the Eowyn vs Nazgul one and would do so again.
                Last edited by cstojano; 2nd December 2017, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by cstojano View Post

How about they actually fulfill the bronze orders for the John Howe pieces, which they decided to just list as SOLD OUT, when in reality they made very few of each and left several of us hanging after a year wait. Not bitter at all, I swear. I suspect based on reactions here and on FB that this will not make it to the stated ES and any in development pieces will just quietly fade away. They will list it as sold out when in reality very few sell. Remember that teased, blurred pic with John Howe showing what was clearly a figure on a horse. Well that was supposed to be a bronze version of his mounted wraith painting, quietly disappeared. Once again, not bitter, I swear. Weta bring back the bronzes! I agreed to pay you 7000 dollars for the Eowyn vs Nazgul one and would do so again.
                  Bronze is so boring and overpriced, why do ppl like that?
                  Wouldnt want to trade my PF gandalf for a bronze gandalf even if they came at me

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Book of Eastmarch View Post
                    Bronze is so boring and overpriced, why do ppl like that?
                    Wouldnt want to trade my PF gandalf for a bronze gandalf even if they came at me
                    No doubt it is a total ripoff but it is also a real statue, unlike most of this material which is dressed up plastic painted in mass production facilities in China. But then I learned Weta was making their bronzes in a Chinese factory anyway so... Also Weta's bronzes are done in a specific style that make them more boring with the lack of interesting patinas. the Bowen and Moore bronzes are really sharp and colorful in their own way. I have a regular PF gandalf if anyone is looking for one, of course the light up feature doesn't work and the staff was broken and repaired because, as I said, these are all disposable collectibles.

Comment

240 left in stock on Weta website. Started at 250. So if that's accurate, only 10 have been sold in the first 24 hours. Not that great.

Comment

Originally posted by fireofdoomuk View Post
                        240 left in stock on Weta website. Started at 250. So if that's accurate, only 10 have been sold in the first 24 hours. Not that great.
                        Too pricey for even the most hardcore collectors :/
                        Weta Figure Reviews

Comment

I don't know if its the price or perceived value. People bought the Peter Lyon swords, although I wonder if things like the Sting were also discontinued before the entire run was even made. For this Gollum piece, I saw it at comiccon and just didn't think it had a strong presence, and not for this price. As others noted it is mostly log and Gollum is compressed in his pose. Is this even 1:3 scale? It is so hard to tell. Compare this to pieces like the 1:3 death dealer by ARH (I wasn't a fan of this sculpt personally but the thing is massive) or the PCS Conan which both take up massive square footage. But Weta has always seemed to market itself as a quality over quantity company. The Lyon swords and Howe bronzes were targeting that market (the book vs movie crowd I would say), and this seems to be right in the middle, perhaps turning off both. It will be interesting to see any future characters though. There are so many Gollums already. Bad guys tend to sell better than good guys in most other lines (though this board seems an exception).

Comment

Gollum basically gives you an idea on pricing and sets expectations on what to expect on this line. Now we know and I think this will become a very popular reverse auction item. At around $1200 this will sell out fast and everyone here will high five each other when that happens.

When they make a character that we all like/want then price and ES will have everyone questioning their limits. Gollum right now is a non event. Let them nail a human likeness or make an elf with some detailed outfit and watch the sell outs happen. It's all about character selection.

Comment

"It's all about character selection."

Ain't that the truth.

Comment

The days of making something random, then putting it out there and expecting it to sell are over. You have to know what your costumers want and give that to them.

At these prices, most everyone is now very picky on what they are going to shell out their hard earned money for. Not to many, not really my thing but what the hell purchases happening anymore.

We have put polls and dream lists together on this forum over and over again. Weta would be smart if they would pay very close attention to them.

Comment

It is rather interesting to read through the entire thread to see the disparity between initial comments of approbation to some of the opprobrium it now draws. Everyone started off so full of hope and praise for the array of glorious effects on display. It truly is an exceptional display of the heightened mastery Weta is now capable of. I confess, I could never afford this piece, much as I admire it; it is ever so damnably expensive - but that diminishes none of its majesty or finesse.

And if I may say so, of course a large constituent part of the statue is rock, given Gollum's stance. As this is but the beginning of a 1:3 line, chances are anyone who picks up this piece will be glad of the height the rock elevates him to, when placed next to the successive statues.

Originally posted by cstojano View Post

Hullo!
                                  The John Howe bronzes never actually sold out?! Do you know how many were actually made of the 20/300 bronze/faux editions?
                                  Last edited by Minuialwen; 2nd December 2017, 20:13. Reason: Merged

Comment

I mean although this Gollum is 1:3 scale? Doesn’t mean that all of the master collection price shave to be in that scale. Aragorn and Gandalf might be the same size even if that is a different scale. Make sense? And also any other characters though they are larger would not have a base that large so the price might not go up too much.

point is, I’m excited for the future of this line!!

Comment

Originally posted by Earl.Haig View Post
                                      Hullo!
                                      The John Howe bronzes never actually sold out?! Do you know how many were actually made of the 20/300 bronze/faux editions?
                                      The faux bronze editions of 300 where all made

I believe there were 8 bronze Smaugs and 4 Eowyn & Nazguls bronzes produced. Even Weta themselves seem to only have the FBs on display despite many other bronzes of polystone we would all recognize

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post

The faux bronze editions of 300 where all made

I believe there were 8 bronze Smaugs and 4 Eowyn & Nazguls bronzes produced. Even Weta themselves seem to only have the FBs on display despite many other bronzes of polystone we would all recognize
                                        Thank you!! I had always thought that the limitation of 20 bronzes were sold out simply because they were not available to purchase. I really rather adored the Éowyn & Nazgûl, and by Jove it's rather a shame to think that there are only four out there. Do you know why they never fulfilled the line? Were they no longer viable financially?

Comment

They couldn't get them made in the end and decided to cancel the orders they had and list them as sold out.

Comment

Working...
                                          X