Gollum 1:3 scale Mixed Media statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Book of Eastmarch View Post
    wtf is happening, am I supposed to pay $1800 for a 42cm statue that is mostly rock?
    That’s a great point

Comment

Beautiful piece. But fortunately for me this is an easy pass because it's way too expensive for me and I already pre-ordered the one I had been waiting on, Thranduil.

Comment

I can fly to NZ and re-enact LOTR scenes with this much

Comment

Originally posted by joogle View Post
          I can fly to NZ and re-enact LOTR scenes with this much
          You know, I always think about that when I buy a new piece. It is my dream to travel to New Zealand, and each time I get a new collectible, I think "Wow, this money would go a long way towards taking that trip", though I still buy the darned thing in the end...

Comment

The price is shocking me

For nearly 1900 Euros i ordered

Mouth of Sauron
            Battle Troll
            Thranduil on Elk

together!
            Last edited by Plat; 1st December 2017, 16:57.

Comment

It's an amazing piece of art. I take my hat off to Weta for making such a beautiful statue but I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the price.

I will pass on this and save my money for a LOTR piece if Weta ever makes one.

I know it's marketed under the LOTR license but no scars on his back, Misty Mountain location, goblin skull, blind fish and the One Ring at his feet, sorry it's screams it's from the Hobbit to me.

Comment

They could've made this out of Bronze and sold it easily for that price. Then it'd be an easy grail.
                Radagaster from S&F, LOTRGuide

Comment

I agreed that good product should has good price but LE is too high. If LE is 50, I will consider it with this 1750USD price

Weta must operates it smartly, world is changing too quick, I really do not like to see any bad day since I am Dead hard weta fan

The most happy "black friday" does not mean happiness for all collector, I used to cost more on some but very bad to see its drop by weta officially, please control LE WELL!

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteHand View Post
                    Saw this on the website:

Features of Masters Collection: Gollum
                    • Tinted translucent resin skin
                    • New-tech eyes with depth
                    • Individually hand-placed hair
                    • Pond with water-effect resin
                    • Leather loin cloth
                    • Special premium box featuring exclusive art print by Alan Lee
                    • Height: approx. 400mm
                    • Weight: approx. 6kg
                    The art print caught my eye
                    Can I have your box instead of it getting stored in a shed?
                    Originally posted by Adolfo View Post

What I caught was my wallet...held it tight, made sure it wouldn't open Lol

Originally posted by Blue Book of Eastmarch View Post
                    wtf is happening, am I supposed to pay $1800 for a 42cm statue that is mostly rock?
                    I paid 2k (inc shipping) for the 1:1 which is 2 pieces, one of those is JUST a rock as well lol

Comment

Originally posted by Moriaman View Post
                      I’ll be getting this, I’ve recently changed my collecting focus on quality over quantity, especially with prices going up and up, gone are the days of buying everything!, going forward I’ll be budgeting for two pieces a year, this and Prime 1’s Alien 3 maquette will cover the coming year
                      Good to see you Red
                      Hey Darren, nice to hear from you mate.

Hope all is well in your world. Take care.

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                      It's an amazing piece of art. I take my hat off to Weta for making such a beautiful statue but I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the price.

I will pass on this and save my money for a LOTR piece if Weta ever makes one.

I know it's marketed under the LOTR license but no scars on his back, Misty Mountain location, goblin skull, blind fish and the One Ring at his feet, sorry it's screams it's from the Hobbit to me.
                      Pretty much this.

I can't justify spending that on any piece. Would much rather spend it on my true love and passion, my family.
                      Last edited by Red; 1st December 2017, 20:24.
                      The Red Room
                      https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/co...7-the-red-room

Comment

Bad timing Weta! People are just recovering from Black Friday and are getting stuck in the whole X-Mas present thing...

Oh well, maybe next BF there will be a reverse auction

Comment

I expected it to be around that price, I’m not rich by any stretch but it’s worth it to me, especially after learning how and who worked on it, it’s an amazing statue and I can’t wait to own and enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by Glassary View Post
                            LOL if you bought this you might not be able to take a day off!
                            Haha, well that is very true.

Originally posted by SolidLiquidFox
                            whaaaaaat????
                            Massively regret that now. Hopefully find one reasonably priced on the secondary market, but doubt it.
                            Last edited by fireofdoomuk; 1st December 2017, 23:47.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFishyFace View Post
                              Can I have your box instead of it getting stored in a shed?

I paid 2k (inc shipping) for the 1:1 which is 2 pieces, one of those is JUST a rock as well lol
                              And the revelation of this new piece at this time fast on the heels of you and a few others getting the deal of a lifetime on the 1:1 Gollum explains just why the had that reverse auction in the first place.

This new piece screams REVERSE AUCTION down the road sometime.

Comment

Spec fiction has this for $1600 with pay up front option

Weta dollars are worth more to me though
                                Last edited by SolidLiquidFox; 2nd December 2017, 02:56.

Comment

I really like the realistic look of this sculpture. The details are incredible! But still, something seems not right to me. To me personally it's missing something of Gollums character, he looks different than in the movies. Not sure what it is. Maybe I just need to see it in reality (the price tag ensures I will never own this piece though...)

Comment

Now would be a good time for Weta to share their 2 to 3 year plan for this product line. Are we looking at a yearly release? 2 to 3 a year? Will the initial pieces be limited to Middle Earth? (Gollum is a good piece since it covers both.) As others have pointed out, the purchase price wipes out a year or more worth of collecting budget. If I knew where this was going, I would consider going down this path.

I have stayed away from the 1:30 line (even though the reverse auction pieces were still in my cart at 5:29 and the cursor was blinking over the "purchase" button at 5:30) because I was afraid it would be a one and done project . Great on it's own, but really needs more than 1 scene to have an impact.

My 2 cents, but if you look at this product line as Weta's thank you to the collectors for the collector's years of support Weta needs to go a bit further and share their plan.

Comment

They are planning releasing around one a year

Comment

I haven't commented yet but I have to admit it was more than I was expecting. That being said I'm not personally offended by the price like some people. If you can't afford it then don't buy it. It's clearly meant as a niche fine art piece rather than a general collectable. However the edition size does surprise me. I thought it would only be 100, maybe 200 especially at this price point.

If I hadn't just bought the 1:1 version as well that's on the way (for about the same price overall!), I would be picking this up. You can't deny it looks stunning.

Comment

The moment you release an Aragorn or Gandalf then things get real. More so if they nail the likeness. Heavily armored characters almost seem out of the question now. Price would be $5000 easily.

Another character would be Galadriel. Being an elf and female would help sales as well.

Comment

Working...
                                          X