New The Argonath Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
    I'm still dumbfounded as to how they're willing to cannibalize sales of their own products by releasing all these expensive items on top of each other...
    Maybe they really don't care about that, if the collectibles side isn't the main part of the business, and it's really just something to keep their artists employed and busy between film projects.

But if that's the case, they could lower their prices on some stuff

Comment

Welp I guess Weta made the decision for me. Was originally on the fence being an owner of the original which I probably overpaid for, but this seems to be one of their more reasonably priced items as of late. Guess I will have dueling Argonaths.

Comment

Newbie question, is the edition number you get (ie. 197/900) at all determined by how quickly you pre-order or is it random?

Comment

Don’t really have an issue with the price. So I decided to go ahead and get this in order. Now to wait and see what the price is on the West Gate of Moria.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones535 View Post
            Newbie question, is the edition number you get (ie. 197/900) at all determined by how quickly you pre-order or is it random?
            Completely random

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
              Is VAT charged on the total cost of the statue including the NRD? And does it include the shipping cost?
              Oh, the UK government will quite happily charge you the VAT on everything - full price + shipping. You might have to pay some customs fees too...

Comment

Originally posted by Moriaman View Post

Completely random
                Unless your name is Sir Richard Taylor, in which case, #1 here I come!

Comment

I'll cave in I suppose. First the stone Elendil, and then the real one which should be pretty soon (I hope!). Anything for the glorious nation of Numenor
                  Instagram: randy_baggins

Comment

Would like to see some more pictures from Weta of it next to other items…..get a better idea of it’s size

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                      , and it's really just something to keep their artists employed and busy between film projects.
                      I know that was said back in the 00ies, but I don't think that's the full truth anymore. It's has become much more than just a side hustle.

Comment

I asked them about that recently and they said it's not a problem. Just contact them with the order number and details and they will change the delivery address for you on any outstanding orders.
                        Perfect! Thanks!

Comment

For those living in Singapore (or SEA), I am thinking of using a third party logistic company to help lower the cost of shipping (which is US$175 for Singapore). It will only cost $31 to ship within the whole of USA. I think its way better. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Comment

So... $799, eh? A pleasant surprise, for once. About 99% sure I'll order, but like a couple of others here, I'm going to wait until late next week, in case Weta is planning another sneak attack on our bank accounts in the meantime. I'm still dumbfounded as to how they're willing to cannibalize sales of their own products by releasing all these expensive items on top of each other...
                            Maybe they don't have a choice e.g. scheduling factories for production. A few years ago there were articles about less polystone statue factories as it's hard, messy work. Plus the Covid turmoil.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberDwarf View Post

Maybe they don't have a choice e.g. scheduling factories for production. A few years ago there were articles about less polystone statue factories as it's hard, messy work. Plus the Covid turmoil.
                              I can confirm this is not the ideal situation they had envisioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Elessar View Post

I can confirm this is not the ideal situation they had envisioned.
                                I can confirm this is not the ideal situation *we* had envisioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                                  Got a response from Weta on Facebook on why the proportions are not movie accurate:

Heya Robin, excellent eagle eyes (as always ????). Because the original bigature was designed to be filmed at a low angle, some of the proportions on the pillars were exaggerated. In this piece, we made the artistic choice to tweak the angles slightly so that they read well as a tabletop statue - hope this helps!
                                  This is exactly what I thought. Artistic choice to improve the proportions. They did the same with new Sauron. Great decision.

Comment

I can confirm this is not the ideal situation *we* had envisioned.
                                    That is also true.

Comment

I'm still dumbfounded as to how they're willing to cannibalize sales of their own products by releasing all these expensive items on top of each other...
                                      It wasn’t the plan. I believe they were going to release one a month starting in July/August but they couldn’t get the licencee approval. These were all,planned for the lead up to the 20th anniversary of FotR so need to be released before next years tTT anniversary.

So the price was a surprise. I’ve ordered. I might end up owing the old and the new as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Idril View Post

It wasn’t the plan. I believe they were going to release one a month starting in July/August but they couldn’t get the licencee approval. These were all,planned for the lead up to the 20th anniversary of FotR so need to be released before next years tTT anniversary.

So the price was a surprise. I’ve ordered. I might end up owing the old and the new as well.
                                        Thanks for that information Idril. I did seem very strange to me that Weta put up so many FotR pieces for sale
                                        so close to the end of this year. Starting to release pieces from July/August would have been so much better.
                                        I'm sure sales will be hurt because of it.
                                        Cheers!
                                        Bill

Comment

Like everyone I'm pleasantly surprised by the price. At $799 there will be plenty of orders and a large ES, no doubt larger than we've seen with other pieces recently, so I'm not in a hurry to order this. I'm going to wait and see what else is released in the near future, especially the TT 20th anniversary stuff. I'm sure there will be a must-have or two in that bunch. There's Black Friday coming up next month as well.

I don't think it'll be difficult to pick up Argonath 2.0 after it's 'sold out' - especially if the relatively low price tag has led to a large ES.

Originally posted by Idril View Post
                                          It wasn’t the plan. I believe they were going to release one a month starting in July/August but they couldn’t get the licencee approval. These were all, planned for the lead up to the 20th anniversary of FotR so need to be released before next years tTT anniversary.
                                          That explains it. Too bad they couldn't get the approvals in time. A nice staggered release of all these big pieces would have been perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                          X