New The Argonath Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New The Argonath Environment

In the video for Saruman the White on Throne this printout is hanging on the wall in Gary Hunts workplace. It looks like a digital sculpt of the Argonath, with something scribbled around it it that could be measurements(?). Could it mean a new, larger, version is coming? It would fit well with the 20th anniversary. Purely speculation from my part but it did make me wonder why a digital model would be made of such an old collectible...

Argonath2.JPG
    Last edited by Gwindor; 1 October 2021, 10:17. Reason: Brightened and scelad up the image somewhat

It is definitely different than the original one, it certainly means that Weta at the very least has toyed with the idea of making a new version. I am going to be optimistic and say that this is the second environment for this year (Sorry Lothlorien fans) I can't wait for Ithildin to see this. I am sure it will be bigger, there is no reason to make it the same size as the old one. I like the sculpt it puts more emphasis on the Argonath itself.

Comment

I will buy this without hesitation if they make it.

Comment

Even though I'm not an environment collector, I've always wanted the Argonath. The price for it has always been too high for a such a small rendering. I want a large, appropriately impressive Argonath, so I really took note of the announced Darkside Collectibles version . . . at a full 2 feet tall. If Weta created a similarly sized new version, I would absolutely purchase it. I'd darn well FIND a place to display it. I suspect I have good company in that thought.

If Weta is planning a new, larger version of the Argonath I think they need to move quickly to make that known.
        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
        ~~Thorin Oakenshield

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          Even though I'm not an environment collector, I've always wanted the Argonath. The price for it has always been too high for a such a small rendering. I want a large, appropriately impressive Argonath, so I really took note of the announced Darkside Collectibles version . . . at a full 2 feet tall. If Weta created a similarly sized new version, I would absolutely purchase it. I'd darn well FIND a place to display it. I suspect I have good company in that thought.

If Weta is planning a new, larger version of the Argonath I think they need to move quickly to make that known.
          I actually hope that Weta's new version isn't 2 feet tall, something around 1 foot would be better, that way if you are lacking space you can get Weta's but if you have the space and like the size, you can go with the larger DS version. This way collectors get a big, medium, and small version to choose from (If you can find the original weta version)

Comment

Originally posted by TMcLim View Post

I actually hope that Weta's new version isn't 2 feet tall, something around 1 foot would be better, that way if you are lacking space you can get Weta's but if you have the space and like the size, you can go with the larger DS version. This way collectors get a big, medium, and small version to choose from (If you can find the original weta version)
            A new Weta version doesn't need to be two feet tall, just substantially larger than the original environment.
            "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
            ~~Thorin Oakenshield

Comment

If Weta can come-up with something in-between the 1st release & the Darkside Toys one, that would be interesting. I think there's a sweet spot in there. Still, hope it's after Q1 2022 so my wallet can recover from Bilbo & Sauron.
              Last edited by MrPickles; 1 October 2021, 15:56.

Comment

As much as I would like to see this happen (I don't own the original and desperately sought one before giving up), I remain very skeptical. Weta is not given to repeating things and this is not a character that you can do 10 times over with different poses and costumes, it's a static environment that can only be recreated in the exact same way each time, except to vary the size.

Yeah, the rocks on the sides look a little cut back, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear howls of betrayal and frustration from collectors of the original if all Weta does is increase the size a bit, slap an edition of 1000 more pieces on it, and totally sinks the value of the older one (not something they would really care about, but they are repeating one of their precious LE releases with one change to it).

Not really Weta's style to go there, so I'm not really sure this is going to happen. That 3D image could be anything, really, not necessarily an upcoming statue, but what do I know.

Yes, TMcLim, you can officially call me Stormcrow with my constant ill tidings and advocacy for the devil. ???????

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                  As much as I would like to see this happen (I don't own the original and desperately sought one before giving up), I remain very skeptical. Weta is not given to repeating things and this is not a character that you can do 10 times over with different poses and costumes, it's a static environment that can only be recreated in the exact same way each time, except to vary the size.

Yeah, the rocks on the sides look a little cut back, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear howls of betrayal and frustration from collectors of the original if all Weta does is increase the size a bit, slap an edition of 1000 more pieces on it, and totally sinks the value of the older one (not something they would really care about, but they are repeating one of their precious LE releases with one change to it).

Not really Weta's style to go there, so I'm not really sure this is going to happen. That 3D image could be anything, really, not necessarily an upcoming statue, but what do I know.

Yes, TMcLim, you can officially call me Stormcrow with my constant ill tidings and advocacy for the devil. ???????
                  Haha ill news is a ill guest! But I don't begrudge your skepticism, it comes with being a seasoned collector while my optimism comes from being green. I will say to your points however that Weta is remaking BagEnd and they are making it bigger. So why not the Argonath? I mean it does look potentially like a new sculpt so it isn't just a blown up version of the original. I'm sure Weta would rather collectors buy their new version instead of the secondary market. Or you could be right haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                    I have to say I'd be howling at this, or at the very least I wouldn't be very thrilled. For very selfish reasons that I'm not too proud of but still. The Argonath are probably the only grail that I have and will have with the way prices are going today. So to have a new and improved version... yeah, I wouldn't enjoy that.

If it's something different in a way of Isengard that would be ok though there's not much different you could do with this piece.
                    Lothlorien would be better

Comment

Judging from the picture it would have less cliffs/rocks and also less water, which could mean that the boats would not be included and the focus is more on the statues themselves.

Comment

I'm positive that Weta intentionally places these easter eggs given their usual absolute secrecy surrounding any upcoming projects. If anything is hinted it's definitely their own making, like Dave Tremont working on Bilbo at Bag End, or Jules' accidental Saruman Throne gag lol. I'm all for this. The statues are the attraction, not the rock quarry. The Argonath was the first teaser poster for the films, and nothing can be more timely (certainly more timely than a bigger Bag End when the smaller one is still in stock) than a revisit to this amazing design which is sold out and found at exorbitant prices out of the reach of many.

PhotoShowImage_www.google.com_20211001165213.jpg
                        Instagram: randy_baggins

Comment

Here's a thought... maybe Darkside featured a Weta photo because the environment they will be releasing is Weta's? Granted it's an image of the original Argonath, but it could explain why they're using Weta photos. I mean, they sell Weta products anyway... maybe they will have exclusive rights to sell a new larger Weta environment?

Otherwise, i'm with Val. I'm not a fan of Weta copying popular older statues but just making them bigger to justify it. And neither were they at one point...

Comment

That's an interesting aspect you've brought up FE..could very well be

Anyways, on the topic, I'm of the opinion that if Weta does another Argonath, they might be looking at it to have a detailed sculpt like BE or else as Val said why reproduce the same thing in a different size (though I'd love to because I don't own the original and it's probably a lifetime hunt to find one at a reasonable price).

I also think, re-releases might not affect the older grails to a large extent, agreed many may not hunt as aggressively if there was a re-release but still I'd think the collector itch is to hunt that original or the older grails ad they will still hold value because it was at a different moment in time and certainly won't fully replace the same feeling (just my 2 cents and might be totally wrong..I'm just a newbie compared to many seasoned veterans here)

Comment

I hope it isn't a revisit of the Argonath, as I would rather have Weta put their resources towards new environments.

Comment

https://www.wetanz.com/shop/environments/the-argonath

Totally unexpected
                                Last edited by Marda7; 11 October 2021, 09:10.

Comment

That is crazy

Comment

Screenshot_20211010-220531_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Oh wow. This is THE PIECE for me. This is my grail. I promised myself and my partner that I wouldn’t buy another after Bilbo, but I cannot say no to this.

I’ll see you all in my grave after my partner kills me.

Comment

799€ minimum

Comment

Working...
                                        X