Poll: The Fellowship of the Ring - all Nine Walkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Ithildin;n251495]

It drives me crazy, Wetas secrecy surrounding their future plans for releases. But like I said in a different post, I will commit to pieces from other companies because they have announced their upcoming pieces well in advance and I have fell in love with them. Maybe there will be some funds left over for Wetas surprises when the surprises come but I have a feeling that most of them will already be spoken for. Funny how companies like DS and Infinity can show us their vision of the future and get collectors excited, build anticipation and have them mentally lock those dollars in well before thy ever go to PO. Funny how that works....

It is also very annoying to me that we cannot plan with Weta at least a year in advance !!
    How much easier it would be to plan to get excited and of course make the money to buy.
    I'm sure Weta will change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

I absolutely agree with you. There is absolutely no risk for Weta to undertake a full Fellowship diorama. And giving collectors advance warning of upcoming releases would allow us to save money for Weta rather than having to spend with other manufacturers and not buy the "Weta Surprise".
      I love the image you have chosen: the Fellowship is formed and is about to set off on an adventure, in the wild lands of Middle-earth! How exciting! I'll go back to watch the movie!

Comment

Yep, the photo perfectly encapsulates the moment that could be used as a template for a Classic Series release that would have them all at the same point in time, and wearing the clothes, armour, and weapons that set they off with on the quest. Not before, not after, just that one exact moment. How hard is that to grasp?

Taking a quick look at the poll, and working very loosely with the numbers for the sake of estimates, consider this: 38 people so far said they would buy the entire set. Sure, things change and wills can falter, but we're also a rather small sample of the collecting community at large, so given that most pre-orders these days sell in the neighbourhood of 750 to 1000 pieces, that's not a wild number to go off of in terms of what to expect. Also, these are not secondary characters or environments that many may not care for; this is the Fellowship!

To whit, 38 of us x 9 statues each = 342 statues @ $350 each (rough estimate, Hobbits could be cheaper, but with Weta's insane inflation, let's keep them all even for simplicity's sake) that's $119,700 just from that alone. Add a minimum of 700 other people that would likely pick these up (and as these would likely be Open Editions, that number would be higher over time) we're talking $2,362,500. Yeah, of course that's not all profit, not by a long shot, but c'mon Weta... cry me a river with those kind of more-than-likely numbers.

Now add to that those of us that would probably buy them as well if made in 1:10 scale also. At $99 to $120 for the price of that line as it currently stands, well... you see where this is going. There is money to be made here, and I don't think this is a situation where Weta needs to worry about risk, and if they do doubt themselves, they could do a FB poll and reach even more people than they do here.

Sadly, I have to agree with you Ithildin, because despite how obvious this seems to you and I and a few others here, that's exactly why we'll never get our wish. That lack of understanding your customer base, coupled with their infuriating penchant for secrets and surprises is only resulting in people spending their money elsewhere where companies are being more open and letting us know what's coming and when to be ready for it. It worked in the past because there was next to no competition, and they have the added pedigree of being the company that is associated with the movies. Today, that's no longer enough.

Comment

Interesting thoughts from everyone.

I’d love for Weta to start the miniature set of 3 again.

From what I’ve read, they were an open edition. Maybe scale it up slightly and update some of the sculpts? I’d buy them. I know most people here are into statues but I have the asmus fellowship in 1/6 and they look fantastic together. Seems like the only true fellowship in 1/6 atm.

Comment

Very valid points here (@Valkrist, Ithildin) and I wonder what is the reason that negates all others to have it done.
            Isn't the classic Gandalf from the same timeline? It's mentioned that the pose was inspired when he walked down the stairs of MT, I'm presuming that was from FOTR when he goes down to read more about the ring..certainly not the exact pose from Rivendell but still kind of thinking if there'll be a chance through the classic series...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcorner View Post
              Very valid points here (@Valkrist, Ithildin) and I wonder what is the reason that negates all others to have it done.
              Isn't the classic Gandalf from the same timeline? It's mentioned that the pose was inspired when he walked down the stairs of MT, I'm presuming that was from FOTR when he goes down to read more about the ring..certainly not the exact pose from Rivendell but still kind of thinking if there'll be a chance through the classic series...
              From the description given on the statue's page:

There are so many classic Gandalf moments, it was almost impossible to choose. But choose we did. Sculpted by our resident “Gandalf Master,” Steven Saunders, Gandalf the Grey Pilgrim walks down the steps of Minas Tirith. Collect this highly detailed polystone figure solo or as a companion piece to Ringwraith of Mordor.

So, if by 'timeline', you mean the same movie, then yes, but that misses the point of our request for a Fellowship Gandalf because this is well before said Fellowship is formed. It comes from a moment in time well before that event. I get these details are inconsequential, even stupid to some people, but this request to Weta is not for them, it's for those of us that want that one moment captured when all nine members of the Fellowship are together. I don't know in how many other ways I can explain that. Yes, this Gandalf, other than the stairway, fits the bill in how he appears, but the very description makes that attempt wrong. It's further infuriating that they talk about how it was impossible to choose the moment when, to some of us at least, it seems rather obvious where they should go with this Classic series opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

From the description given on the statue's page:

There are so many classic Gandalf moments, it was almost impossible to choose. But choose we did. Sculpted by our resident “Gandalf Master,” Steven Saunders, Gandalf the Grey Pilgrim walks down the steps of Minas Tirith. Collect this highly detailed polystone figure solo or as a companion piece to Ringwraith of Mordor.

So, if by 'timeline', you mean the same movie, then yes, but that misses the point of our request for a Fellowship Gandalf because this is well before said Fellowship is formed. It comes from a moment in time well before that event. I get these details are inconsequential, even stupid to some people, but this request to Weta is not for them, it's for those of us that want that one moment captured when all nine members of the Fellowship are together. I don't know in how many other ways I can explain that. Yes, this Gandalf, other than the stairway, fits the bill in how he appears, but the very description makes that attempt wrong. It's further infuriating that they talk about how it was impossible to choose the moment when, to some of us at least, it seems rather obvious where they should go with this Classic series opportunity.
                True Val, I'm with you on the want for that moment when the fellowship was formed, the 20th was already a great opportunity for that. Yes, by timeline I meant more by the movie...my Gandalf question really stemmed more because I'm not sure if there'll be a fellowship series and probably this Gandalf might be the closest we'll get, I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Comment

True Val, I'm with you on the want for that moment when the fellowship was formed, the 20th was already a great opportunity for that. Yes, by timeline I meant more by the movie...my Gandalf question really stemmed more because I'm not sure if there'll be a fellowship series and probably this Gandalf might be the closest we'll get, I'd like to be proven wrong though.
                  You, know it just occurred to me that the Classic Gandalf is wrong in more than just the environment he's standing on: the staff he's carrying is the pipe staff, and when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell, he has the crystal staff (also called the Moria staff).

Comment

At least they didn't go for Gandalf the White.

Comment

You, know it just occurred to me that the Classic Gandalf is wrong in more than just the environment he's standing on: the staff he's carrying is the pipe staff, and when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell, he has the crystal staff (also called the Moria staff).
                      Maybe I missed a post earlier but the description on it says "Gandalf the Grey Pilgrim walks down the steps of Minas Tirith". He would have had the pipe staff at the beginning of the FoTR when he rides for Minas Tirith to investigate the origin of Bilbo's ring, so isn't it correct?

Comment

Originally posted by KingElessar View Post

Maybe I missed a post earlier but the description on it says "Gandalf the Grey Pilgrim walks down the steps of Minas Tirith". He would have had the pipe staff at the beginning of the FoTR when he rides for Minas Tirith to investigate the origin of Bilbo's ring, so isn't it correct?
                        You missed the context of my post in relation to the discussion I was having with Darkcorner.

He was commenting that other than going down the stairs, we could essentially 'pretend' that it was a depiction of Gandalf that could be used for the time when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell. However, due to the staff he's carrying, clearly that's not possible. Hence my comment.

Other than that, yes, the statue is very much correct for the moment it is supposed to depict.

Comment

You missed the context of my post in relation to the discussion I was having with Darkcorner.

He was commenting that other than going down the stairs, we could essentially 'pretend' that it was a depiction of Gandalf that could be used for the time when the Fellowship leaves Rivendell. However, due to the staff he's carrying, clearly that's not possible. Hence my comment.

Other than that, yes, the statue is very much correct for the moment it is supposed to depict.
                          Ah gotcha. Makes sense. Yeah, I wish they would have used the moria staff and just expanded on the fellowship in the classic series. That would have easily been 9 classic versions they could release. Doubtful we'll see another Gandalf the grey in the classic series from the Fellowship of the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by KingElessar View Post
                            Doubtful we'll see another Gandalf the grey in the classic series from the Fellowship of the ring.
                            No. But we could get a LE GTG at some point.

Comment

Correct Val, it occurred to me that night after I posted, so Gandalf had the pipe staff initially until he visits MT, then upon arrival at Elrond's council he has the moria staff, I didn't catch the moment of switch in the movies perhaps they didn't show it explicitly and left it to comprehend because Gandalf knew he might go to Moria or was there a different reason for the switch? I guess I need some enlightenment

Comment

Correct Val, it occurred to me that night after I posted, so Gandalf had the pipe staff initially until he visits MT, then upon arrival at Elrond's council he has the moria staff, I didn't catch the moment of switch in the movies perhaps they didn't show it explicitly and left it to comprehend because Gandalf knew he might go to Moria or was there a different reason for the switch? I guess I need some enlightenment
                                It's because it was necessary for the plot

Comment

Gandalf has the pipe staff taken from him by Saruman during their battle in Isengard. Exactly how he kept getting new staves was a complete mystery. Same reason why he conveniently happens to take a sword with with him to Isengard that isn't Glamdring. He has it before and after, but screenshots of his arrival at Orthanc show a different sword on his belt. Clever PJ, even if nonsensical.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post

It's because it was necessary for the plot

Gandalf has the pipe staff taken from him by Saruman during their battle in Isengard. Exactly how he kept getting new staves was a complete mystery. Same reason why he conveniently happens to take a sword with with him to Isengard that isn't Glamdring. He has it before and after, but screenshots of his arrival at Orthanc show a different sword on his belt. Clever PJ, even if nonsensical.
                                    Aah..how did I forget the epic battle , thanks for bolting my memory Val. Indeed, cleverly done.

Comment

Mmmmm I just rewatched that scene where gandalf visits Saruman, and it seem Glamdring is left behind strapped in Gandalf´s horse. So it´s safe to assume that the horse leaves isengard by himself (just like bill does at some point in the book) and Gandalf eventually retrieves his sword.

aaaaaa.png

Comment

On another note, having just seen the scene of Gandalf in Isengard, I really feel Weta dropped the ball one more time by portraying Saruman with the palantir ONCE AGAIN with the Saruman The White miniature statue, if memory serves me correctly, that is the fifth time thay have done it!!!!! (including the weta mini epic and the sideshow Weta premium format statue)

There are just so many missed opportunities they could have used to portray him from the film, one for example is when he is walking outside of Orthanc, and that also bring us to Gandalf, if they could just have made him in that moment of time without his hat, instead of the one they made, they could have paired both mini statues which could have looked really cool displayed together besides the pre ruin Orthanc environment!

foto 3.png

Another missed opportunity is here in his desk from his workplace:

desk 01.png

desk 02.png

Comment

Well we know that the next classic series statue is one that was meant for Fotr, but works for tTT. Perhaps it will be something simple like Saruman? I know they released him in their diorama line but that just means that much of the face sculpting is already done and can be used again for a CS statue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X