Poll: The Fellowship of the Ring - all Nine Walkers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by TMcLim View Post
    Perhaps we should start a letter campaign to have this done like the Minas Tirith re-release campaign!
    That would be a great idea T. You've already started something for the Minas Tirith..so perhaps we can also use the LOTR FB group to fuel this?

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

      I like that you titled the thread "all nine walkers" because I really don't want dynamic action poses.
      It's a must that these be made in the Classic line with museum poses. Leave the twirling, jumping, weapon slinging and shouting to the regular 1/6 range please.

      Comment


        #23
        I agree, a complete Fellowship is long overdue. I don't care if it's 1:10 or larger scale as long as it gets done. I prefer more regal/museum poses rather then action poses.

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

          Yes, I agree. It's actually faithful to 'a' film, just not the one any of us expected given the statue is part of the Lord of the Rings product page, and announced during the year that celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Fellowship of the Ring.

          So what does Weta give us? A Gandalf statue from 60 years before that. Brilliant.

          My speculation on that in the statue's own thread is that someone who was clearly clued out probably gave the artist a few reference pictures of Gandalf for the artist to work with, not providing any context for them or bothering to note that they were from the wrong movie. As it is probably safe to assume that a few of the newer sculptors that work for Weta are not as steeped in the lore and detail as the old crew, no one thought to ask if there was a discrepancy at all going on there. So, by the time the statue bafflingly passes several stages of approval and the error(?) goes on ignored, it's already too late. Then someone from Weta reads these comments and thinks "Man, these nerds really need a life! Who would have thought they'd be so picky about a stupid staff? Gandalf had like five of them or something! Who cares?!?"

          Well, this nerd does.

          I wish Weta were more attentive to details .... on some statues they do a fantastic job but on some of these minis ... they leave a little to be desired, it almost seems that these minis are a bit second line and this is not nice

          Comment


            #25
            I really hope Weta goes ahead with these, in whatever scale, I think they’re long overdue, and will undoubtedly sell really well!

            A matching 1:10 mini Fellowship of nine walkers journeying single-file through the wild (as in my signature) is something I could possibly find room for because of their smaller scale. Those would look fantastic all in a row on a shelf somewhere!



            A826F535-C994-4A7D-B23C-8BD5719CBF7D.jpeg


            So I would go for a “buy them all but only if they were non-dynamic nine walkers in 1:10 mini scale” option!

            However, I probably wouldn’t order any of them in 1:6 scale, as I’ve already spent twenty years collecting the 1:6 Fellowship that I have, and nothing is going to match up to the magic of the original SSW pieces for me anyway, even if the new versions managed to be a slight improvement in some way or another.

            And it’s only Gimli, Merry and Pippin who aren’t technically from the same scene. The rest are all perfect.

            For me, the SS Aragorn Exclusive is the definitive version of Strider and likely will never be surpassed, I absolutely love it. Same goes for SSW Gandalf, SSW Legolas, SSW Sam & Bill, and SSW Boromir. Sure, SSW Frodo’s likeness could be better, but the sculpt and moment chosen is perfect.

            I could always add new versions of 1:6 Merry and Pippin in Shire/Rivendell/Moria clothing though, as they’re over on Treebeard!

            Other than that, I’m good!



            5A150528-B691-43A3-B35F-5174F38FE378.jpeg


            E74A5C3A-88AE-4388-BA86-4CF948D581CE.jpeg



            F4A5E7BC-0D44-4A95-A3A7-B980941CF0FC.jpeg

            "But this condition Ilúvatar made, or it is the necessity of their love, that their power should thenceforward be contained and bounded in the World, to be within it for ever, until it is complete, so that they are its life and it is theirs."
            ___________________
            ~ Ainulindalë


            Comment


              #26
              You're so right. I'll take them all. The museum pose in Rivendell is perfect for me. The one where they walk suits me too. Not in Moria, which has a cold, dark and dangerous vibe to me. This don't match with my idea of a "family photo" of the Fellowship.
              For the 1: 6 or 1:10 scale, it all depends on what Weta is going to do with the Classic Series. I don't see myself having the same character several times on the same scale and in an almost similar pose (CS Gandalf in museum pose and an other 1: 6 Gandalf in museum pose and with same cloths? Repeat the example with each member of the Fellowship?). Sounds a bit boring.
              It all depends on Weta.

              Comment


                #27
                I think we will have a clue at the end of January, when Weta releases the next Classic statue.

                The Classic line would be just perfect for me, that's what I have voted, but I wouod also be happy with the miniature line. I have already pre-ordered Gimli and Gandalf, a double Fellowship in both Classic and Miniature format would be amazing

                Happy new year to you all!


                Comment


                  #28
                  Hopefully we will get more than 2-3 a year from the Classic line.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    We have the mini already so this has to be in 1:6. And yes, they have to share a base. I would buy them all and the base so Id' prefer if it comes as a set to save me some bucks on shipping and avoid the nightmare we see with the dwarven set, gimmefili, etc.. The base could be connected by a rock or terrain so that we dont need another ToT-like fridge box, thanks. Other 2 sets that are in my heart are the 9 being formed at Rivendell, much more compact but lame clothing and the 9 at Balin's tomb which Iron Studios is trying... I'd still prefer the 9 at the epic scene walking past the rock.

                    Weta misses so many opportunities like this that I think it will be Prime1 releasing this as non-scale set. Probably for less.

                    Comment


                      #30
                      You want nine 1/6 figures on one base but don’t want a big shipping box like Thranduil? Okaaaay then good luck

                      Comment


                        #31
                        Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                        You want nine 1/6 figures on one base but don’t want a big shipping box like Thranduil? Okaaaay then good luck
                        You know, I thought he was talking about one base but separate statues that would come individually, and you could then connect to form one base/scene. Not sure that would save much on shipping in the long run.

                        Also, it was ok with the mini set but I just don't see Weta doing that in 1:6.

                        Comment


                          #32
                          Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

                          You know, I thought he was talking about one base but separate statues that would come individually, and you could then connect to form one base/scene. Not sure that would save much on shipping in the long run.

                          Also, it was ok with the mini set but I just don't see Weta doing that in 1:6.
                          I believe the request was for a Megazord like statue? So like Frodo would be the head and gimli would be the arm.. includes action arm, with sounds such as "MY AXE". ??????

                          Comment


                            #33
                            Originally posted by KingElessar View Post

                            I believe the request was for a Megazord like statue? So like Frodo would be the head and gimli would be the arm.. includes action arm, with sounds such as "MY AXE". ??????
                            lol... never thought of it that way! Yep, that would work. Either Megazord, or Voltron, or even Devastator from the Transformers.

                            Whatever it takes for Weta to give us a complete Fellowship, just do it already!

                            Comment


                              #34
                              It seems like a wish that is both simple and essential: what is more iconic and unifying than a statue (or several separate ones) bringing together the entire Fellowship of the Ring?
                              This is the first thing they did with the 13 dwarves of The Hobbit.
                              It seems to me that they had already done this a long time ago with the community running (with Sam and the pony?)?

                              Comment


                                #35
                                Originally posted by Arkenglaone View Post
                                It seems like a wish that is both simple and essential: what is more iconic and unifying than a statue (or several separate ones) bringing together the entire Fellowship of the Ring?
                                This is the first thing they did with the 13 dwarves of The Hobbit.
                                It seems to me that they had already done this a long time ago with the community running (with Sam and the pony?)?
                                If you're speaking of the old SSW statues, they failed in that regard on several fronts. Pippin is missing (the one statue we got of him is from ROTK), and all the other ones, thought they are all from FOTR at least, they come from different parts of that movie, including one before the Fellowship formed, and some after Gandalf's death.

                                Comment


                                  #36
                                  Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

                                  If you're speaking of the old SSW statues, they failed in that regard on several fronts. Pippin is missing (the one statue we got of him is from ROTK), and all the other ones, thought they are all from FOTR at least, they come from different parts of that movie, including one before the Fellowship formed, and some after Gandalf's death.
                                  Okay. I'm not familiar with these old SSW statues. However, would it be too much to ask, Weta, to re-actualize the Community 20 years later?
                                  I will add that the functioning of Weta is also a problem for some collectors: not having a long term vision on the different lines is a problem (at least for me). For example, I didn't know that Weta was going to develop the Amon Hen line (beyond the duo Lurtz & Boromir). Maybe they said so in a post somewhere, but nothing that happened to my ears (unlike the clear and visible announcements from P1, Darkside, etc.). Now, if I had known, I would probably have taken Aragorn to go with Gimli & Legolas. Now seeing Gimli & Legolas but while Aragorn is out of stock so I did not take either.
                                  Again, I might not know where to find this kind of information (despite checking their Facebook account a lot), in which case I'll be happy to learn where.

                                  Comment


                                    #37
                                    Originally posted by Arkenglaone View Post

                                    Okay. I'm not familiar with these old SSW statues. However, would it be too much to ask, Weta, to re-actualize the Community 20 years later?
                                    I will add that the functioning of Weta is also a problem for some collectors: not having a long term vision on the different lines is a problem (at least for me). For example, I didn't know that Weta was going to develop the Amon Hen line (beyond the duo Lurtz & Boromir). Maybe they said so in a post somewhere, but nothing that happened to my ears (unlike the clear and visible announcements from P1, Darkside, etc.). Now, if I had known, I would probably have taken Aragorn to go with Gimli & Legolas. Now seeing Gimli & Legolas but while Aragorn is out of stock so I did not take either.
                                    Again, I might not know where to find this kind of information (despite checking their Facebook account a lot), in which case I'll be happy to learn where.
                                    Weta did not tell us. Aragorn was presented suddenly as add on for Lurtz and Boromir, but with a very steep price and low editions size. Many either opted out (like me) or did not succeed in getting one. Then suddenly Legolas and Gimli was presented as another add on, but with a timed pre-order. I think many ordered one (including me) to not be left out again. I would expect more Amon Hen figures to come, at least Merry and Pippin, but for many the diorama will not be complete as Aragorn will be missing. I agree not having this vision beforehand is a huge problem. I can see this is a business strategy as people will pre-order due to FOMO.

                                    Comment


                                      #38
                                      Originally posted by Arkenglaone View Post

                                      Okay. I'm not familiar with these old SSW statues. However, would it be too much to ask, Weta, to re-actualize the Community 20 years later?
                                      I will add that the functioning of Weta is also a problem for some collectors: not having a long term vision on the different lines is a problem (at least for me). For example, I didn't know that Weta was going to develop the Amon Hen line (beyond the duo Lurtz & Boromir). Maybe they said so in a post somewhere, but nothing that happened to my ears (unlike the clear and visible announcements from P1, Darkside, etc.). Now, if I had known, I would probably have taken Aragorn to go with Gimli & Legolas. Now seeing Gimli & Legolas but while Aragorn is out of stock so I did not take either.
                                      Again, I might not know where to find this kind of information (despite checking their Facebook account a lot), in which case I'll be happy to learn where.
                                      No, you are absolutely right, which is the main point of my poll. If these nine characters are being updated with the Classic Series, that would be the perfect opportunity to finally give us a cohesive Fellowship. Yet, surprise, surprise, they sunk that hope and dream right out of the gate by giving us a Gandalf that cannot be reconciled with any scene that features him as part of the Fellowship.

                                      As to your second point, no I didn't think Weta has anything resembling a long term plan or vision beyond making some vague pronouncement about mystery releases in a year or two, which are already a given since we know the anniversaries are under way. The closest they've ever come to letting us know they are planning something ahead of time is by revealing that we will be getting Elendil and Gil-galad to pair off with the new Sauron.

                                      I swear Daniel must've been marched into Richard's office and reamed out for letting that cat out the bag and probably threatened with being fired because it is so utterly out of character for them to be that open about their plans. I joke of course, but it is definitely not how they usually do things.

                                      The only other instance I can recall where some kind of plan was revealed to us was the ill-fated 1:30 Dol Guldur line, which was cancelled halfway through. In retrospect, the backlash they suffered over that decision probably justifies to them why maybe they shouldn't promise things ahead of time.

                                      As for Amon Hen, nope, they never told anyone this would become a series. Boromir and Lurtz came and went and we thought it was a one and done deal. Then Aragorn appears out of the blue and a lot of people go "Wait what?!?" Because we had no inkling there would be more, many overlooked one or both of the previous statues, such as myself, who never picked up Boromir. I got Aragorn and am now feeling like I have an incomplete set. Then (though now half-expected) Legolas and Gimli show up so a pattern begins to appear, yet to this day we have no idea if they will give us the four Hobbits at Amon Hen. Odds are they will, but would it kill them to say that? Apparently, yes.

                                      You want my guess? There is no plan. They probably watch sales of a particular product and then decide "Hey, let's try one more and see how that sells," and so on and so forth. This is why they probably will never plan for a whole Fellowship because there is a lack of a long term plan or vision that they want to 100% commit to.

                                      Don't tell your customers anything and that way they have a guaranteed escape clause.

                                      Comment


                                        #39
                                        Originally posted by Celaglar View Post

                                        Weta did not tell us. Aragorn was presented suddenly as add on for Lurtz and Boromir, but with a very steep price and low editions size. Many either opted out (like me) or did not succeed in getting one. Then suddenly Legolas and Gimli was presented as another add on, but with a timed pre-order. I think many ordered one (including me) to not be left out again. I would expect more Amon Hen figures to come, at least Merry and Pippin, but for many the diorama will not be complete as Aragorn will be missing. I agree not having this vision beforehand is a huge problem. I can see this is a business strategy as people will pre-order due to FOMO.
                                        So it was not me who looked for the information badly. I would have prefered.
                                        To get the full diorama, I would have had to bet that Weta was going to make some new statues. Really poorly functioning in my opinion (and from a collector's point of view, not the manufacturer), especially when you have to shell out several hundred dollars on a bet that can span several years. I also don't understand the idea of making a very limited edition size for a very important statue (Aragorn) in a diorama. I really hope that one day Weta changes about this now that there is concurrence.

                                        This parenthesis seemed important to me for our topic since a common base for the whole Fellowship would imply that Weta announces the complete line to come (in any case, there is a line coming in) AND does not make significant differences in edition size between the different characters. I think.

                                        Comment


                                          #40
                                          Wasn't Faramir announced from the very beginning stages of his development, and we got to give input on how we would like the pose to look like and little details like if his hood should be up or down? I seem to remember how great that experience was. Like we arrived at a point that a company was listening and giving us exactly what we were asking for instead of just, hey, surprise, here is Faramir. but alas, it was a one-off and never happened again.

                                          It drives me crazy, Wetas secrecy surrounding their future plans for releases. But like I said in a different post, I will commit to pieces from other companies because they have announced their upcoming pieces well in advance and I have fell in love with them. Maybe there will be some funds left over for Wetas surprises when the surprises come but I have a feeling that most of them will already be spoken for. Funny how companies like DS and Infinity can show us their vision of the future and get collectors excited, build anticipation and have them mentally lock those dollars in well before thy ever go to PO. Funny how that works....

                                          Just my opinion from 20 years' experience of being a customer of Weta, we will never see a complete Fellowship from a moment of time between when the company left Rivendell and when Gandalf was lost in Moria. Sorry, it will never happen. They will never take the perceived risk (in their minds) and commit to doing a set of nine figures that would take 3 or more years to release. From my point of view, it would be no risk to them at all. If Weta came out and announced that they were committing to releasing, over a span of several years, the whole Fellowship from let's say, the moment they were saying their goodbyes in Rivendell, collectors would be lining up to collect the whole set. Hell, they could make accessory pieces, like they do for the hobbit holes, for the scene that would sell as well. Collectors do tend to be completists. But again, it will never happen from Weta.




                                          All of my hopes for a complete cohesive Fellowship from the same moment in time are all pinned now on Darkside Collectibles Moria scene. Bravo to them for seeing the opportunity when others can only see the risk.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X