Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: The Fellowship of the Ring - all Nine Walkers

Hey everyone,

As some of you may be aware from reading my ramblings ever since Weta announced the newest two 1:10 statues: Gandalf and Gimli, I have lamented the fact that this represents yet another missed opportunity to give us a complete set of all nine members of the Fellowship that are all represented as being part of the same moment in time (or scene, if you prefer) in the movies/books.

Obviously we have various representations in multiple scales already of each of these nine characters, but other than the long-sold out, very expensive and difficult to find mini set, after 20 years, it is difficult to believe and understand why Weta has yet to give us something that should seem—to what I hope are many of us—a total no-brainer and easy sale.

What I am talking about here is not a mish-mash like we currently have, or like the new mini Gandalf (with a staff from the Hobbit movies), and Gimli, with his Lorien cloak and Balin's axe, which clearly places him at time well past the fall of Gandalf. Another missed opportunity for this was the launch of the Classic 1:6 Series, which opened up by giving us a Gandalf that was pre-Fellowship formation as the statue is set in Minas Tirith.

We don't have many options here, with Rivendell, Eregion, Doors of Durin, and Moria being the four possible locales, but these represent the only time all nine of these characters were together, pledged their lives to one another and the destruction of the Ring. This was the Fellowship! Not before; not after. For this to work, it has to fall between that period of time, and the statues need to faithfully depict that.

As such, they should all be consistent with the period of time in terms of what they are wearing, and what they are holding. The poses are really secondary; the important thing is to get this one detail correct, something that has proven absurdly elusive for Weta to figure out so far.

So, without further ado, the purpose of this poll is to try and show Weta that we do want this, and that these nine statues would sell, I daresay far better than even the Amon Hen series has so far.

Happy voting!

If Weta released a complete set of the nine Fellowship members in a chronologically-consistent representation, would you buy them all?
    65.31%
    Would you only buy some of them (as in just the characters you would be interested in)?
    20.41%
    Would you buy them in 1:6 scale format?
    55.10%
    Would you buy them in 1:10 scale format?
    48.98%
    If Weta released them in both scales, would you prefer that the poses be different between the scales?
    20.41%
    Would you want these to be Limited Editions?
    20.41%
    Would you want any of the characters to share a base? For example, all four Hobbits on one base?
    24.49%
    No, thanks, I'm more than happy with the non-matching Fellowship statues I already have or whatever else Weta comes up with is fine too.
    6.12%
    I can't understand why people are fixated on this. Would not buy, regardless of scale.
    2.04%

I would love to see it happening, but mainly in miniature form. If they would ever release them as miniatures I'll get them for sure. 1/6 scale would be tougher for me, because they're generally quite expensive and because we already have most of the characters in some form.

That said, I'm not really someone who thinks too much about the setting of characters - that the location is supposed to match, or that the wardrobe of a statue indicates the statue doesn't fit in with the rest. I'm just happy to have all of the characters in our cabinets - even if they're based on different times in the movies. Personally I'm still waiting for Merry and Pippin....in some form. If that ever happens we'll at least have all of the fellowship members represented in our collection in some form or another.

Comment

I didn't vote for the last two categories - does that surprise you?

I voted for 1/6 and 1/10, but i would be more likely to pick and choose which ones i got, if they were to be improvements on what i already have. Unless they knock every one out of the park and they're *the* most iconic image of each that they've ever done... but i do like having some members of the Fellowship wearing their Lorien cloaks and brooches, but of course that's after Gandalf falls, so that would go against the idea of a cohesive Fellowship.

I also wouldn't mind characters sharing bases, i think Frodo and Sam on the same base would be great, likewise Merry and Pippin, but i wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Amon Hen line, throwing rocks or drawing their swords.

Comment

Valkrist Thanks for doing this. Obviously I've voted yes Regarding several on one base, I've voted yes - not that its preference, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to this, especially for the hobbits (as 2 pairs or a 4) but don't mind however they do them - just make the Fellowship Weta!!

Comment

I would buy them all and the 1/10 scale format would be fine for me even if like many I don't understand the meaning of Gandalf's miniauture staff......

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer View Post
            I would buy them all and the 1/10 scale format would be fine for me even if like many I don't understand the meaning of Gandalf's miniauture staff......
            Just to clarify, which meaning don't you understand? Why Weta picked the staff that they did for the upcoming release, or why people are making a fuss over it?

Comment

I voted for:

x If Weta released a complete set of the nine Fellowship members in a chronologically-consistent representation, would you buy them all?

x Would you buy them in 1:6 scale format?

x Would you buy them in 1:10 scale format?

x If Weta released them in both scales, would you prefer that the poses be different between the scales?

I think, my votes describe all my wishes ... I want all of them, I want them in both scales with different poses or themes, one scale like they was in rivendell, one like on the west gate of moria or at moria cemetery.

And "to want them" means "to buy them".

Comment

Originally posted by Clintwood View Post
                I voted for:

x If Weta released a complete set of the nine Fellowship members in a chronologically-consistent representation, would you buy them all?

x Would you buy them in 1:6 scale format?

x Would you buy them in 1:10 scale format?

x If Weta released them in both scales, would you prefer that the poses be different between the scales?

I think, my votes describe all my wishes ... I want all of them, I want them in both scales with different poses or themes, one scale like they was in rivendell, one like on the west gate of moria or at moria cemetery.

And "to want them" means "to buy them".
                Those were my exact 4 votes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

Those were my exact 4 votes as well.

Comment

So for me it would be about:
                    - getting the entire fellowship (and I'm as puzzled as you are why we didn't get more of this until now)
                    - 1:10 scale (for both display space and money reasons)
                    - and limited edition yes, as I do hate open editions (which usually make me delay buying a statue because I'm waiting for a discount by which time the statue gets sold out Minas Tirith style or just so much time passes that my interest turns to something else)

Comment

Originally posted by Anarion View Post
                      So for me it would be about:
                      - getting the entire fellowship (and I'm as puzzled as you are why we didn't get more of this until now)
                      - 1:10 scale (for both display space and money reasons)
                      - and limited edition yes, as I do hate open editions (which usually make me delay buying a statue because I'm waiting for a discount by which time the statue gets sold out Minas Tirith style or just so much time passes that my interest turns to something else)
                      Yeah, the Open versus Limited was a struggle for me to answer.

Generally I prefer Limited for that feeling of rarity and owning something special and scarce, but the flip side of that coin is that I firmly believe this Fellowship concept would have broad appeal across many spectrums of collectors here. As a way to incentivize Weta to do this, they need to see that the profit is there, and an open edition would really maximize that in this case. That can only improve our chances of seeing this made one day.

Hence, I did not vote for LEs, though I fully back your reasons in favour of them.

Comment

Perhaps we should start a letter campaign to have this done like the Minas Tirith re-release campaign!
                        argonathfbanner by

Comment

Thanks for the poll Valkrist.

I voted in only 2 categories. Yes, I would buy them all and yes, I want them in 1/6.

All on separate bases (each character deserves that) and all open editions. These pieces should be available to new and old collectors for years to come.

Comment

Thanks for the poll!
                            I kinda get why WETA takes forever to release members of the fellowship with the same scale. It’s just my guess, but I think if they release them, definitely many people will buy them, but the statues of the same characters after them are likely to sell less. So, by releasing characters statues in a different sizes, we are confused about in which statues line we can get the all fellowship, like classic, miniature etc..
                            i hope my guess is wrong though.
                            Last edited by Mirrorinthemirror; 15 September 2021, 19:25.

Comment

Been harping on this for YEARS!!!! Kinda surprised this hasn't been a thread/poll before. Well done Valkrist.

I voted that I would buy them all, that I want them 1/6, and that I prefer they are limited edition, but I have a feeling we'll be getting these in the Classic Series if we do, which is totally fine with me. I just prefer the LE because I like my statues to appreciate in value, but that is not a concern when it comes to having the entire matching Fellowship in 1/6.

I like that you titled the thread "all nine walkers" because I really don't want dynamic action poses. The dwarves are a bit dynamic and I love them, so I don't mind being creative with the pose, I just want to have them all looking like they belong together. I don't want Aragorn mid-battle pulling a face while Frodo is standing there smiling. You want them all together to recreate a scene. I need to snap up that Classic Gandalf before they start releasing the rest...

Great thread. BRING ON THE MATCHING FELLOWSHIP!!!

Comment

It's a yes from me. However, I wouldn't want them in the Figures of Fandom, Vinyl Figure or the Miniature Statue lines though. For me I want them as screen accurate and as good a character likeness to the movies as possible. 1:6 scale depicting a scene would be my preferred scale line as I am collecting the Iron Studios, Moria, Balin's Tomb scene in 1:10 already. I would be happy to have them in the 1:6 Classic Series too.

But have them I must!

p.s. Hell, even DarkSide are producing the full Fellowship but that will be in 1:4 scale.
                                Last edited by bill59; 16 September 2021, 05:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

Just to clarify, which meaning don't you understand? Why Weta picked the staff that they did for the upcoming release, or why people are making a fuss over it?

With staff I meant Gandalf's stick that doesn't seem to me to be seen in the film .....
                                  I think they could have made one more faithful to the film.

Comment

I voted for 1:10 scale as well as 1:6, I'd prefer 1:10 though would be nice to display them all together on one shelf if possible and that would be hard to do in 1:6.
                                    argonathfbanner by

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer View Post

With staff I meant Gandalf's stick that doesn't seem to me to be seen in the film .....
                                      I think they could have made one more faithful to the film.
                                      Yes, I agree. It's actually faithful to 'a' film, just not the one any of us expected given the statue is part of the Lord of the Rings product page, and announced during the year that celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Fellowship of the Ring.

So what does Weta give us? A Gandalf statue from 60 years before that. Brilliant.

My speculation on that in the statue's own thread is that someone who was clearly clued out probably gave the artist a few reference pictures of Gandalf for the artist to work with, not providing any context for them or bothering to note that they were from the wrong movie. As it is probably safe to assume that a few of the newer sculptors that work for Weta are not as steeped in the lore and detail as the old crew, no one thought to ask if there was a discrepancy at all going on there. So, by the time the statue bafflingly passes several stages of approval and the error(?) goes on ignored, it's already too late. Then someone from Weta reads these comments and thinks "Man, these nerds really need a life! Who would have thought they'd be so picky about a stupid staff? Gandalf had like five of them or something! Who cares?!?"

Well, this nerd does.

Comment

Thanks Valkrist for all the efforts, expressing many of our sentiments. I'm 200% agreeing with your views, I'd definitely like a fellowship that is accurate towards a moment in time..it was THAT particular moment that different races came together for a common purpose despite having different views and hence the bond, the friendship. There is truly no other way to depict such a moment (as it's said - a picture speaks a thousand words)
                                        Here's my vote:
                                        • If Weta released a complete set of the nine Fellowship members in a chronologically-consistent representation, would you buy them all?
                                        • Would you buy them in 1:6 scale format?
                                        • If Weta released them in both scales, would you prefer that the poses be different between the scales?
                                        Though I prefer a LE, I feel guilty to chose LE as I'm a newbie to veteran collectors and I see how such a beautiful diorama would be missed by many new collectors to come by in the years...(just as I did on many in the past)

Comment

Working...
                                        X