Sauron, Lord of the Rings 1/6 Premium Statue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

    100%.

    If for no other reason than the fact that if they are to be paired with Sauron in a way that makes sense and doesn't block him completely, they should be displayed to either side of him, not stuck on one base in front of him.
    Sure, I naturally prefer them to be on individual bases too. And I'm sure that's what we're going to get, at least because it's obviously financially better for Weta

    But now that you touch the subject, how will you display the three statues? I mean, apart from displaying them separately in their own Numenorean / Elven displays (as some may choose), Elendil and Gil-Galad are supposedly in confrontation with Sauron, so they should be facing him. I suspect they wont look as good if just displayed to either side of Sauron

    Comment


      Originally posted by Levidas View Post

      Sure, I naturally prefer them to be on individual bases too. And I'm sure that's what we're going to get, at least because it's obviously financially better for Weta

      But now that you touch the subject, how will you display the three statues? I mean, apart from displaying them separately in their own Numenorean / Elven displays (as some may choose), Elendil and Gil-Galad are supposedly in confrontation with Sauron, so they should be facing him. I suspect they wont look as good if just displayed to either side of Sauron
      I explained it in a post further back in this thread, but if Weta make an attempt to be creative about this, it should be quite easy.

      Both Elendil and Gil-galad can be posed in a way that is mostly dynamic (as in they are attacking Sauron) but not so over the top that it looks ridiculous. Picture both men, half-turned and looking up. The lower body can face mostly forward, but there would be a partial twist to the torso to indicate their attention and action focus is to the side. The head would be up-turned to look at Sauron, but not like a full profile. In Elendil's case he can have either one or two hands on Narsil, but it would be to his back, poised to strike, like in a few photos we've seen of him. Two hands would be more realistic due to the size of the sword, but only one hand/arm back would allow us to better see the armour detail on Elendil's chest. For Gil, he would be reversed on the other side, similar pose, half-turned so as to showcase most of him from the front, but still attacking Sauron from the side, one hand on his shield, the other on Aeglos.

      Note that Sauron himself is posed to be in a similar position. It is not a full front-facing statue, his body is in motion and his head is already looking to one side of him, so he's paying attention to a foe to one side, while wary of the one on the other. I think Weta anticipated what they are doing with the other two when they designed the pose for this Sauron, and they will be to the side and only slightly in front. Putting them both fully in front makes no sense as not only do you obstruct much of the view of Sauron, you would need a very, very deep display area to make it work. Also, from a purely technical and tactical aspect, it would be stupid of them to attack him together side by side from the front. I get they eventually lost, but they weren't that stupid!

      The key here is to think of them as companion pieces, like Amon Hen, so they should be designed with that in mind.
      Last edited by Valkrist; 4 January 2022, 08:42.

      Comment


        Elendil_during_the_Last_Alliance.jpg

        Something like this would work even if someone wants to buy it and display alone, hope Weta goes this way

        Comment


          Originally posted by Salvatore View Post
          Elendil_during_the_Last_Alliance.jpg

          Something like this would work even if someone wants to buy it and display alone, hope Weta goes this way
          That's exactly what I meant, my friend. Now picture that, but have him turn his upper body ever so slightly to his left, his head as well, and looking up a bit.

          Perfection.

          Comment


            That dude behind Elendil to the left just doesn`t look right!

            Comment


              Originally posted by Glorfindel View Post
              That dude behind Elendil to the left just doesn`t look right!
              He's totally looking at his phone.

              Comment


                Hmm, I honestly don't know how to feel about this. If I had to choose, I think that I would prefer to have Elendil and Gil-galad on their own bases and with a static pose like the one pictured above, looking straight at the viewer. I don't think that they need to be sculpted in a way that they look like they are fighting Sauron. We know that they fought him. This way they will display amazingly with or without having Sauron in your collection. I believe they deserve to shine individually on their own.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

                  He's totally looking at his phone.
                  He totally is. But it was the guy on pic left that was causing me alarm - check out that wild hair do and wonky helmet.
                  Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                  Hmm, I honestly don't know how to feel about this. If I had to choose, I think that I would prefer to have Elendil and Gil-galad on their own bases and with a static pose like the one pictured above, looking straight at the viewer. I don't think that they need to be sculpted in a way that they look like they are fighting Sauron. We know that they fought him. This way they will display amazingly with or without having Sauron in your collection. I believe they deserve to shine individually on their own.
                  For me it`s got to be on their own bases - separate figs. I would probably only want to get Gil-galad to be honest.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                    But at the time of ordering you know it will arrive in q2 of 2022. When you pay the full amount at once you will always pay around the shipping date. Payment plans start at timenof ordering I believe and you know you have to wait afterwards when everything is paid. I'm not really following why this is an issue with pre orders where you are told the estimated quarter it will ship. It is a problem for stuff that is supposed to be in stock, then it should be shipped asap and I know weta is not the fastest there.
                    Just wanna clarify.. if you go back and read my comments I'm actually referring to my frustration around still not getting a shopping notice for my Ringwraith statue I ordered during the November black Friday sale. When I ordered it they expected it to ship in December. Just getting antsy..

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                      Hmm, I honestly don't know how to feel about this. If I had to choose, I think that I would prefer to have Elendil and Gil-galad on their own bases and with a static pose like the one pictured above, looking straight at the viewer. I don't think that they need to be sculpted in a way that they look like they are fighting Sauron. We know that they fought him. This way they will display amazingly with or without having Sauron in your collection. I believe they deserve to shine individually on their own.
                      Well, I definitely did not imply (or want) that they share a base. No way, no how. Not sure if you got that from something I said, but let me just say no one more time.

                      On your second point, I'm a little more torn. Yes, what you are describing is exactly how I've wanted these two statues to be for as long as I can remember wanting them. However, this is Weta, and like Rian Johnson and his abominable Last Jedi movie, they love to subvert expectations. They are not new to thematically-paired statues, we know that, and they've hinted that these new pieces will go along with the new Sauron and that makes me suspect they will be in fighting poses. As such, my suggestions as to how they should be posed (if that's true) is a mere attempt at trying to make the best out of the scenario I least want. If done right, and not over the top, they can pull it off. I'm remaining carefully optimistic.

                      Originally posted by Glorfindel View Post

                      He totally is. But it was the guy on pic left that was causing me alarm - check out that wild hair do and wonky helmet.
                      lol... right... *my* left... ok... yes, that dude... hmmm... well, all I can say is that the air in Mordor must be very humid. He should be in a Pantene commercial, if you're old enough to remember those.
                      Last edited by Valkrist; 5 January 2022, 11:18.

                      Comment


                        “Uh oh... it’s the Dark Lord himself about to attack us! Quick, shield at the ready, he’s starting to swing that terrifying gigantic mace towards m-...

                        Oh wait, I got a text message.......”

                        "But this condition Ilúvatar made, or it is the necessity of their love, that their power should thenceforward be contained and bounded in the World, to be within it for ever, until it is complete, so that they are its life and it is theirs."
                        ___________________
                        ~ Ainulindalë


                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

                          Well, I definitely did not imply (or want) that they share a base. No way, no how. Not sure if you got that from something I said, but let me just say no one more time.

                          On your second point, I'm a little more torn. Yes l, what you are describing is exactly how I've wanted these two statues to be for as long as I can remember wanting them. However, this is Weta, and like Rian Johnson and his abominable Last Jedi movie, they love to subvert expectations. They are not new to themarically-paired statues, we know that, and they've hinted that these new pieces will go along with the new Sauron and that makes me suspect they will be in fighting poses. As such, my suggestions as to how they should be posed (if that's true) is a mere attempt at trying to make the best out of the scenario I least want. If done right, and not over the top, they can pull it off. I'm remaining carefully optimistic.



                          lol... right... *my* left... ok... yes, that dude... hmmm... well, all I can say is that the air in Mordor must be very humid. He should be in a Pantene commercial, if you're old enough to remember those.
                          I`m old enough to remember pre-shampoo/conditioner days! Soap only!

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Mirrorinthemirror View Post
                            I missdeed the chance of preordering this Sauron and really regret it.
                            If there is anyone who has preordered it and is considering canceling it, please contact me via PM!
                            I am pretty sure it will be available as a second/last chance item at a future sale right around they start shipping. These expensive ones almost always do.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Siile View Post

                              Not ideal if you are in Japan but a few retailers in Europe still have it available for pre-order, you can also get on the waitlist of some websites like Spec Fiction.
                              Thank you for the info! I’ll check them out! Hope the shipping cost will be under $200 haha.



                              Originally posted by Stig View Post

                              I am pretty sure it will be available as a second/last chance item at a future sale right around they start shipping. These expensive ones almost always do.
                              Thank you for the info! So, next Black Friday maybe? I’m gonna have to take a lot of caffeine to get up at 4:00 am and stay awake to push the order button then haha.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                                Hmm, I honestly don't know how to feel about this. If I had to choose, I think that I would prefer to have Elendil and Gil-galad on their own bases and with a static pose like the one pictured above, looking straight at the viewer. I don't think that they need to be sculpted in a way that they look like they are fighting Sauron. We know that they fought him. This way they will display amazingly with or without having Sauron in your collection. I believe they deserve to shine individually on their own.
                                I think/hope that the poses of Elendil and Gi-galad will be rather "static" since the fight hasn't begun yet, Sauron is walking down the hill towards the battle. Since not everyone who will buy Elendil and/or Gil-galad will have bought Sauron maybe Weta can make what they did with Gamling and the Rohan Royal Guard and make, and include, two heads, one looking forward for those who buy any or both of them individually and one where they are looking slightly upwards to go with the Sauron statue.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Gwindor View Post

                                  Since not everyone who will buy Elendil and/or Gil-galad will have bought Sauron maybe Weta can make what they did with Gamling and the Rohan Royal Guard and make, and include, two heads, one looking forward for those who buy any or both of them individually and one where they are looking slightly upwards to go with the Sauron statue.
                                  Excellent idea Gwindor

                                  Many folks will probably display them on separate shelves, as all three together would occupy a lot of room.

                                  "But this condition Ilúvatar made, or it is the necessity of their love, that their power should thenceforward be contained and bounded in the World, to be within it for ever, until it is complete, so that they are its life and it is theirs."
                                  ___________________
                                  ~ Ainulindalë


                                  Comment


                                    I really hope these two are going to be made in a Classic Line style of statue; a simple static, maybe slight movement, but nothing fancy. I don't think the demand for these is high enough for an Open Edition, so they would be Limited Edition. But keep it simple please, and keep the price at a minimum

                                    I agree with the above pose for Elendil, holding his sword with two hands ready to fight Sauron, slightly turning towards him. For Gil Galad the same, maybe something like this:

                                    200?cb=20070322223340.jpg
                                    or even with shield, also turning to face Sauron:
                                    200?cb=20051011141740.jpg

                                    Comment


                                      Considering what many members are saying, it’s gonna be unlikely but I’d like to have Isildur and Elrond in the last alliance statues. I know they already did Elrond (SSW) and Isildur after the fight, but I’d be so happy(I love Elrond haha) and definitely buy them if they still do that.

                                      How about two characters in one base : Elendil and Isildur (Father and Son) and Gil Galad and Elrond (King and Herald/Captain) for $699 like they did with Legolas and Gimli? Also, a Numenorean soldier and an elven warrior (again) in one base to show and emphasize the alliance between men and elves maybe??? ?

                                      0576A0A6-C650-43D0-A0C2-855E80B6F3D4.jpg E85B15A6-9BFC-4718-8536-396F9888955A.jpg
                                      Last edited by Mirrorinthemirror; 5 January 2022, 01:28.

                                      Comment


                                        I love anything last alliance so I would welcome ba fighting Isildur, and a new Elrond. I just don't see that happening for a long time. But if Amazon's series is good Weta might revisit those characters. I think most people would prefer a council version of Elrond. And no I don't want multiple statues on one base.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by TMcLim View Post
                                          I love anything last alliance so I would welcome ba fighting Isildur, and a new Elrond. I just don't see that happening for a long time. But if Amazon's series is good Weta might revisit those characters. I think most people would prefer a council version of Elrond. And no I don't want multiple statues on one base.
                                          I also don't see any new Elrond or Isildur being released anytime soon... Even if they do, with a good Amazon series, they wouldn't be the same actors, which is a big drawback for me.

                                          Perhaps we eventually get a Numenorean Warrior to 'pair' with the Elven Warrior, but it would have to be in a totally different pose than the one we're expecting for Elendil and Gil-Galad: in-battle against battle-ready/regal.

                                          I'm super curious to see the first pictures of these two, I really hope Weta nails them.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X