Statue Poses. What do you prefer your statue to look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statue Poses. What do you prefer your statue to look like?

Hi all. Now that Weta has revealed their new 1/6 "Classic" line, I have been doing a lot of thinking about it and have come to some conclusions for myself but I was wondering what my fellow collectors thought.

When it really comes down to it, what is your preference in regards to how you would like to see your characters posed?

What pose evokes the most emotion from you on a personal level?

When you really look deep inside yourself, what are you attracted to the most at a gut level?

A completely static pose?

A static pose that implies a small hint of motion to your mind?

A mix of static/dynamic pose where the motion is not hinted at but lightly shown?

A dynamic pose where motion is the focal point of the piece?

Examples of poses the are completely static.

Examples of poses that are static but imply a hint of motion.

Examples of poses that are static/dynamic where the motion is not hinted at but lightly shown.

Examples of poses that are dynamic, where motion is the focal point of the piece.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the results of this poll and your thoughts on what pose is ultimately the most pleasing to you. Enjoy.
    A completely static pose.
    12.73%
    A static pose that implies a small hint of motion.
    58.18%
    A mix of static/dynamic.
    29.09%
    A dynamic pose.
    0%
    Last edited by Ithildin; 27 July 2020, 05:49.

This is a bit of a hard one to answer for me (I did choose static with a hint of motion) as that is what I prefer, but it would also depend on the character or creature being represented. Someone more regal like Elendil should be completely static where as an orc should have some sort of crouch or slight action pose IMHO.
    https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

I prefer static poses with a little hint of motion. Or shown. Pieces like the new Tauriel, the announced Gandalf and Arwen/Frodo on Asfaloth. Sometimes dynamic poses do work of course.

Comment

Is there an above all option!? Lol to me it depends on what it tries to evoke. Example: a static pose of Eomer would be great but Eomer on Firefoot is awesome ..... so it’s depends.

Comment

Difficult decision, I chose the middle course, actually the overall concept of the statue is decisive for me.

The static position of the new rinwraith for example is simply brilliant because it is looking iconic.
          Last edited by Plat; 26 July 2020, 10:22.

Comment

In general I like a static pose with a hint of motion. However, the exception confirms the rule!

Comment

Haha, no all of the above selection. I'm looking for what you are drawn to an an instinctive level.

I totally agree that all of the different types of poses listed above would make for a very impressive piece if done correctly and I do really enjoy them all. But for me personally a static pose with a hint of motion is what evokes the most emotion from me. The other forms can and do look fantastic and I have them in my collection. But there is something almost so deep inside that I can't even put into words that moves me the most on an emotional level when I see a pose like Eowyn outside of the Golden Hall looking into the distance or Isildur standing there looking at the ring and already being corrupted by it. Maybe it's the lack of distracting motion that allows my inner eye to focus on the meaning of the moment more than a dynamic pose. Maybe that doesn't make any sense but maybe it doesn't have to.
              Last edited by Ithildin; 26 July 2020, 10:35.

Comment

Great topic for this forum!

I would have to go with 2... and maybe a little 3... definitely more towards 2... I personally dislike a too dynamic (4) pose, as you can't display them well to see the character, and it usually takes up a little more space on the shelf.. Weta.s Bard was probably one of the hardest statue to pose personally.. Just can't seem to get the perfect level of rotation to showcase his agility, face, as well as pose.

But my favourite weta statue pose is probably MC Gollum, which is in between 2 and 3? What you guys think?

Comment

All three MC statues have this mix of static and dynamik,i love it.
                  Thranduil on Throne is the first static statue of this line.

Comment

If I had to choose, it would be static with a hint of motion. But I like them all. I am not sure what you would classify the High Elven statue as, but I love it

Comment

Thanks for the thread Ith. It did make me think because I previously had only put them into 2 categories. Static and dynamic.

The middle ones are my preference and after thinking about it, I mostly do prefer static with a hit of motion.

great poll

Comment

Really enjoying hearing of everyone's preferences. It's really not something to debate because it's so intensely personal to each one of us. There are no right or wrong answers here, what you prefer is what you prefer and that's wonderful. It is more of an interest to me and I thought maybe to others, to see if there were one or several of the categories that might have larger appeal. Maybe the data could help Weta in the future (if they are interested in such things).
                        Last edited by Ithildin; 27 July 2020, 05:37.

Comment

I’m not gonna select an answer. My preference can vary from statue to statue. I absolutely love the Isildur statue but I also absolutely love the new Aragorn statue. So it depends. Sometimes poses maybe push things a little to far (new Ringwraith on steed) and sometimes they’re pretty boring (naked Lurtz). So again it depends.

Comment

I voted for option 2, with 1 being my next choice, then 3, and 4 last, though I also agree with Elessar in that this isn't a hard and fast rule because it comes with many exceptions. I do think a statue should lean more toward the static pose as a default and only start to slide down the scale to dynamic if what Weta is trying to convey really calls for it, like a pair (Boromir and Lurtz), or a specific moment (Eomer).

Comment

Ithildin great poll , thanks for making it.

Voted for 2 as well.
                              I agree it depends on the statue and scene.
                              I mostly prefer static poses while i really like the ones that need to be more dynamic and well balanced without going too far.
                              The elven warrior is a good example of a dynamic statue i enjoy, and if a numenorean soldier will be done in the same way i would be very happy.
                              The WK vs Eowyn works really well too...

The static elve guard on ToT is fantastic and the same pose should be done on a future Fountain guard.
                              IMO Uruks and Orcs fits better with option 3 and 4 while i d rather see our heroes in the 2 and 1 categories.
                              Nothing is set in stone and may vary with the scene/stance picked.

Comment

Originally posted by Elessar View Post
                                I’m not gonna select an answer. My preference can vary from statue to statue. I absolutely love the Isildur statue but I also absolutely love the new Aragorn statue. So it depends. Sometimes poses maybe push things a little to far (new Ringwraith on steed) and sometimes they’re pretty boring (naked Lurtz). So again it depends.
                                Good post It’s hard to pick just one option.

Totally forgot about Isildur. That’s still my favorite statue with a static pose. Made a huge impression.

Then again, I love the Legolas statue from The Hobbit. And Bard. Etc.

But like I said before; in general I prefer the static poses with a slight hint (or shown) motion. Static poses generally feel easier to assemble too, which helps. I love Arwen/Frodo on Asfaloth, but it does make me nervous sometimes that all of the weight is on the horses legs. Not looking forward to boxing her up and to unbox her again in our new home

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post

Good post It’s hard to pick just one option.

Totally forgot about Isildur. That’s still my favorite statue with a static pose. Made a huge impression.

Then again, I love the Legolas statue from The Hobbit. And Bard. Etc.

But like I said before; in general I prefer the static poses with a slight hint (or shown) motion. Static poses generally feel easier to assemble too, which helps. I love Arwen/Frodo on Asfaloth, but it does make me nervous sometimes that all of the weight is on the horses legs. Not looking forward to boxing her up and to unbox her again in our new home
                                  It is very hard. That’s why I can’t vote. I don’t think I’m more drawn more to one over another.

Yeah that’s among the many pieces in my collection that give me a very nervous feeling at the thought of boxing up if I have to. Actually boxing some of them back up just scares the crap out of me.
                                  Last edited by Elessar; 27 July 2020, 06:15. Reason: Meant can’t and put can. Doh!

Comment

Love all the comments. Super interesting to hear what people are looking for or should I say, instinctively drawn to, in a piece of art at a base level.
                                    Last edited by Ithildin; 27 July 2020, 05:46.

Comment

Very interesting question. I figured, instead of asking myself what I prefer, I'd just look at my collection and see what's in it. And it's overwhelmingly static with a hint of motion / motion lightly shown. Most of my favorite pieces fall in these categories: Eowyn, Uruk Hai swordsman, Royal Guard of Rohan, Isildur, Ringwraith on Steed, Faramir...

However, there are also a few pure static poses that are favorites of mine: the Galadhrim archer and the Fountain Guard. And I guess another big clue that I'm into static poses is the fact that I have a lot of static 1/4 scale busts in my collection and I love them for that very reason.

But. Dynamic poses can be great too. As others have mentioned, I too love the High Elven Warrior. And Boromir is another favorite. And I love Arwen & Frodo on Asfaloth as well. I don't have any other dynamic pieces besides those three, I think, so they're clearly a minority group in my collection. (Oh, I had the Mirkwood soldier ordered as well but it was canceled due to being oversold.)
                                      Last edited by DD; 27 July 2020, 09:02. Reason: miscounted

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

Originally posted by DD View Post
                                        Very interesting question. I figured, instead of asking myself what I prefer, I'd just look at my collection and see what's in it. And it's overwhelmingly static with a hint of motion / motion lightly shown. Most of my favorite pieces fall in these categories: Eowyn, Uruk Hai swordsman, Royal Guard of Rohan, Isildur, Ringwraith on Steed, Faramir...

However, there are also a few pure static poses that are favorites of mine: the Galadhrim archer and the Fountain Guard. And I guess another big clue that I'm into static poses is the fact that I have a lot of static 1/4 scale busts in my collection and I love them for that very reason.

But. Dynamic poses can be great too. As others have mentioned, I too love the High Elven Warrior. And Boromir is another favorite. And I love Arwen & Frodo on Asfaloth as well. I don't have any other dynamic pieces besides those three, I think, so they're clearly a minority group in my collection. (Oh, I had the Mirkwood soldier ordered as well but it was canceled due to being oversold.)
                                        Shame about the Mirkwood Soldier, a fantastic elf. I'm jealous that you have the High Elven Warrior though; it's one of those statues even my husband would kill for, he's always saying I have to find it somehow, because he loves elfs.

Love that you mentioned Eowyn. Awesome piece One of the best static poses out there, yes.

Comment

Working...
                                        X