Bilbo at writing desk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
    I’m hoping we can read a bit of what he is writing, but I’m not sure what... a simple ‘In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit’ would be brilliant, but would people maybe like to see a bit more writing and a couple of drawings? I imagine it would still be noticeable at 1/6 scale. Maybe ‘Concerning Hobbits’.
    Also I cant really tell, but do we think Bilbo is writing here or maybe sat back laughing as he does when describing other hobbits?
    'In a hole in the ground lived a Hobbit' would be the classic line and a fitting tribute to the Prof, Sir Ian and the anniversary of the book that started it all. The Red book of Westmarch of course

    Comment


      I'm crazy for the new Cave Troll but I know in my heart that when this gets properly revealed that it is going to eclipse the Cave Troll and possibly every other piece in my collection. Just such a special moment. Did Leonard say that it was going to be on the TB base?

      Comment


        Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
        Did Leonard say that it was going to be on the TB base?
        Yes he did (13.5" x 20.5") not sure how tall it will be though.

        https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

        Comment


          Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

          Yes he did (13.5" x 20.5") not sure how tall it will be though.
          EPIC!

          Comment


            Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
            I'm crazy for the new Cave Troll but I know in my heart that when this gets properly revealed that it is going to eclipse the Cave Troll and possibly every other piece in my collection. Just such a special moment. Did Leonard say that it was going to be on the TB base?
            This is going to be a very special piece indeed. I imagine this will sell out in record time because of what this moment means.

            Comment



              Looking at the first image again it looks like there's a cutout in the outer wall, perhaps for a chimney since the fireplace is on the other side as can be seen in the second image.


              Bilbo Desk 1.jpg

              Bilbo Desk 2.jpg


              Comment


                I'm sure you are right!

                Originally posted by Elessar View Post

                This is going to be a very special piece indeed. I imagine this will sell out in record time because of what this moment means.
                This is going to sell out very fast. TB fast!

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                  I'm sure you are right!

                  This is going to sell out very fast. TB fast!
                  Yeah we better hope for no internet issues that day.

                  Comment


                    Bilbo's pantry next? Before Bombur.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                      This is going to sell out very fast. TB fast!
                      If it's a limited edition (and it probably will be) then I hope Weta will do it the same way they did with Minas Morgul. Keeping a pre-order window open for a set period of time is the best way for a piece that's going to be as popular as this.

                      'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by DD View Post

                        If it's a limited edition (and it probably will be) then I hope Weta will do it the same way they did with Minas Morgul. Keeping a pre-order window open for a set period of time is the best way for a piece that's going to be as popular as this.
                        Yea same, I don't care if they make 10,000 of these things, I just want to make sure I get one.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by DD View Post

                          If it's a limited edition (and it probably will be) then I hope Weta will do it the same way they did with Minas Morgul. Keeping a pre-order window open for a set period of time is the best way for a piece that's going to be as popular as this.
                          I have been trying to push for this since MM did it. It is the fairest way for everyone. And in my opinion, a win for Weta as well. I'm sure they sold more MM's than they would have if they had put a fixed ES on it.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

                            I have been trying to push for this since MM did it. It is the fairest way for everyone. And in my opinion, a win for Weta as well. I'm sure they sold more MM's than they would have if they had put a fixed ES on it.
                            I've wondered if the same ES would have sold in a week without them doing that. I honestly don't see a downside of Weta doing this unless they just don't have the capacity to make XXXX amount of a given piece if that many are ordered...

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post
                              Yea same, I don't care if they make 10,000 of these things, I just want to make sure I get one.
                              That's my thinking as well.


                              Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                              I have been trying to push for this since MM did it. It is the fairest way for everyone. And in my opinion, a win for Weta as well. I'm sure they sold more MM's than they would have if they had put a fixed ES on it.
                              Exactly. It's just smart(er) business. And everybody wins.

                              I guess the only potential downside is that they do have to commit to a price while not yet knowing how many units will be made. But, if they get more orders than they anticipated (and based their price on) then I can only imagine that the profit margin per unit will increase since they'll be placing a larger order at the factory with lower costs/unit.


                              'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

                                I've wondered if the same ES would have sold in a week without them doing that. I honestly don't see a downside of Weta doing this unless they just don't have the capacity to make XXXX amount of a given piece if that many are ordered...
                                Originally posted by DD View Post


                                Exactly. It's just smart(er) business. And everybody wins.

                                I guess the only potential downside is that they do have to commit to a price while not yet knowing how many units will be made. But, if they get more orders than they anticipated (and based their price on) then I can only imagine that the profit margin per unit will increase since they'll be placing a larger order at the factory with lower costs/unit.
                                I guess the only downside I can see here is if Weta put up a piece that they thought everyone would like and then up a timed PO on it and it didn't sell half of what they thought it would and they end up taking it in the shorts. With a set ES the unsold could sit in the warehouse for years until it sold out in sales but a with a timed PO they are stuck with the low sales and low profits.

                                That's why it's so important that Weta has it's fingers on the pulse of the collectors. They should be scouring collecting forums like this and their FB page to KNOW what collectors want and make it for them. If they can do this, they will always win when they put a timed PO up.

                                Now, one could say that just making the stuff that collectors want takes away their artistic creativity. Maybe in a way it does but ultimately, in the end, this is a business and sowing-your-wild-oats has to take a back seat to that reality.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Ithildin View Post

                                  I'm sure they sold more MM's than they would have if they had put a fixed ES on it.
                                  I obviously don't know for sure, but I disagree. At the time it was up for order I just didn't have the finances (nor the prospect of getting them) to justify an order. Now I would get one as finances have got much better of late. Again, not sure if they did this, but they could put up for pre-order and then make say another 50% of those ordered (or whatever they deem fit) to increase the numbers available. Lots of people have missed out on MM and I'm fairly sure they would still be selling them now if it was still available...

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by crazytrain View Post

                                    I obviously don't know for sure, but I disagree. At the time it was up for order I just didn't have the finances (nor the prospect of getting them) to justify an order. Now I would get one as finances have got much better of late. Again, not sure if they did this, but they could put up for pre-order and then make say another 50% of those ordered (or whatever they deem fit) to increase the numbers available. Lots of people have missed out on MM and I'm fairly sure they would still be selling them now if it was still available...
                                    But they don't want to have to store large quantities of products. And it's better for the production to produce the whole run in one or two batches. Having open editions which sell a little by little makes for either having a lot of these in storage, having in constantly on back-order awaiting a new batch or producing them in very small pretty batches non-stop. To sell out something during pre-order solves at lot of these troubles and having a timed pre-order period makes this possible for most people. If you know about it coming up for sale, that is.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Stig View Post
                                      I really hope so too. Even though I want to be one cool kids saying they will get it no matter what, if the price is over 1000, I seriously need to think about it...
                                      My last statue is Isildur, I saved space and money for something like this.I have never taken into consideration all the MCs and whatever until now.
                                      I don't think this will go over 1000$, it doesn't look bigger than 30x40x30 or something around that.

                                      I hope the cost will be great for everyone because this statue is simply "Middle Earth"

                                      Comment


                                        This is a great discussion, and I must admit I think the set pre-order period is my preferred way of doing it, but there are definitely things to consider from Weta’s perspective.

                                        My other thought, like Stig said, is that Weta don’t want to be sitting on thousands of collectibles in their warehouses. If the last few sales have taught us anything it’s that they’ve been trying to have a bit of a clear out.

                                        As long as they understand their market and get the price just about right, I think the pre-order period is the way to go. I guess we shall see. I do hope Bilbo and writing desk is at least, it’s quite clearly going to be MASSIVELY popular the more people who get a chance to order the better.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Ithildin View Post
                                          I guess the only downside I can see here is if Weta put up a piece that they thought everyone would like and then up a timed PO on it and it didn't sell half of what they thought it would and they end up taking it in the shorts. With a set ES the unsold could sit in the warehouse for years until it sold out in sales but a with a timed PO they are stuck with the low sales and low profits.

                                          That's why it's so important that Weta has it's fingers on the pulse of the collectors. They should be scouring collecting forums like this and their FB page to KNOW what collectors want and make it for them. If they can do this, they will always win when they put a timed PO up.

                                          Now, one could say that just making the stuff that collectors want takes away their artistic creativity. Maybe in a way it does but ultimately, in the end, this is a business and sowing-your-wild-oats has to take a back seat to that reality.
                                          You're right, there is a possible double edged sword situation with the timed PO if they misjudge the situation (and thus the collector base).


                                          Originally posted by Salvatore View Post
                                          My last statue is Isildur, I saved space and money for something like this.I have never taken into consideration all the MCs and whatever until now.
                                          I don't think this will go over 1000$, it doesn't look bigger than 30x40x30 or something around that.

                                          I hope the cost will be great for everyone because this statue is simply "Middle Earth"
                                          Leonard has confirmed the base is bigger than that: 34 cm x 52 cm. If you rewatch the video (especially the second half when Dave Tremont has it all set up and is working on it and turning it around) you'll be able to tell that the base is big.

                                          'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X