Thranduil: The Woodland King - Masters Collection 2020 - 1:6 scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super expensive. Even if I had the money I wouldn’t be able to justify the purchase to myself. It’s also way too big for our home that said: I’m so happy for the people who ordered this it looks magnificent.

I do agree that the prices are getting higher and higher, which is a shame. Like many others have mentioned aswell: as long as we keep buying the statues they will only increase the prices further. It’s obvious the prices are justified though, considering how many people jump at it.

That said; I still think WETA has a lot to offer. The classic line made me quite happy a few months ago. High hopes. I just hope they won’t increase the prices for that line aswell; would be nice to have a line that’s affordable for more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post
      It is a bit disheartening if we get the situation where once again Weta has heeded our request to make something and those who cried out for it then won't invest in it.
      Is that so? While being a frequent forum visitor, I didn't read through all the posts from last year. But it didn't occur to me that there was such high demand for a Thranduil on Throne piece. If anything "on Throne" it would have been Denethor that got a lot of fan requests, afaik.

And as he is not sitting on a huge tree, this could be a lot cheaper ;)
      Aah, who am I kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mac View Post

Is it a root if it exposed though, or does it then become a trunk if left long enough?
        That’s a very good point, you’ve got me stumped there!

Comment

Maybe we should do a root cause analysis?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingFool View Post

Is that so? While being a frequent forum visitor, I didn't read through all the posts from last year. But it didn't occur to me that there was such high demand for a Thranduil on Throne piece. If anything "on Throne" it would have been Denethor that got a lot of fan requests, afaik.

And as he is not sitting on a huge tree, this could be a lot cheaper ;)
            Aah, who am I kidding...
            I was one of the people who was really rooting for this piece to happen, but I was hoping for something like Thorin on Throne

Comment

I wanted this Thranduil but I don't have the space.
              I would hoped they were cheaper (i'd jump on them if there were around 2000€) but I think it's a 'fair' price for the work put on them.

Deep within the rock, they buried him. In a tomb so dark, it would never come to light

Comment

Originally posted by Celaglar View Post
                Maybe we should do a root cause analysis?
                Don't forget the twigs

Comment

Originally posted by pocketreef View Post
                  Next MC they come back with early bird discount and tail in between legs, nothing new.
                  I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Comment

We may have been barking up the wrong tree trunk

Comment

It will be interesting to see how long this take to sell out which it will
                      yes it’s expensive and these one off pieces only come along once per year so yes it is personal choice and affordability

i thinking the cave troll will sell better as it’s more popular and wanted

for myself I was waiting on price as hobbit I would have much more wanted it to be beorn so it’s a easy pass

Comment

I never even thought of this statue as something I had to have honestly. When people were saying the MC was going to be Thranduil on Throne I thought they were on drugs, but I hadn't read all of the messages over the past year or two requesting this piece. Goblin King made SO MUCH more sense, other than the fact I wouldn't want it because it's ugly af. Upon seeing Thranduil at comic con I was blown away..., I had to have it. My two favorite aesthetics in all of the ME movies are hobbiton and the elves, so I'm gonna get pretty much anything that has a unique and/or amazing representation of those. As long as I can afford it anyway.

I do think he's a bit overpriced, and if he'd been over 3k I would not have bought it. So it's not like those of us that bought this are without limitations. I honestly shouldn't be buying any collectibles, I should be saving my money, and I'm sure 99% of the rest of you could say the same. But we're not here to save money, we are here to follow our hobby and our passion. So while I agree in spirited debate about our purchases and the items Weta puts out, I think a lot of us here are just a little tired of the stigma put on people who buy something others view as overpriced or not good enough. There's no need for the guilt trips or non-constructive negativity.

I think the Master Swordsmith Collection is utterly outrageously priced, but I don't belittle Weta or degrade the people that buy the swords. I'm very thankful for the people who do get them, and even moreso the people on the forum who buy them. Then I get to share in a little bit of their joy by seeing their collections and their excitement when they get a new sword. I would SO LOVE to be able to afford the swords but those 5k+ pricetags are beyond my ability to justify at the moment. That doesn't mean Weta should stop making them, or make cheaper versions to appease my meager wallet. It means I need to win the lottery or score a 6 figure job lol.

Comment

I am probably one of the few who have ordered and after a short night I asked myself the question today whether I regretted pressing the order button. It turned out to be a no, I own all the MC pieces and will stay true to this line as long as I can justify it for myself, unfortunately some statues have to go again and so I collect with a crying and a laughing eye. I am not rich and renounce many things for this hobby and I'm happy with it, that's the goal. I hope that the very high price only came about because of the immense size and think that this was a unique thing for weta.

@HeraldElrond

I am completely satisfied with the UC replicas, especially the Museum Collection line had an excellent price / performance ratio. It would be a dream come true if UC would bring out swords of this line again.

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
                            I am probably one of the few who have ordered and after a short night I asked myself the question today whether I regretted pressing the order button. It turned out to be a no, I own all the MC pieces and will stay true to this line as long as I can justify it for myself, unfortunately some statues have to go again and so I collect with a crying and a laughing eye. I am not rich and renounce many things for this hobby and I'm happy with it, that's the goal. I hope that the very high price only came about because of the immense size and think that this was a unique thing for weta.

@HeraldElrond

I am completely satisfied with the UC replicas, especially the Museum Collection line had an excellent price / performance ratio. It would be a dream come true if UC would bring out swords of this line again.
                            I agree completely. I second guessed myself quite a bit, trying to tell myself I didn't need this and should skip it. Didn't work. I do love the weapons but it's just too much for me. I love seeing all the displays people have with all kinds of lines from the various companies, but for me, it'd be too much. I just do statues/prints/maps. Plus I'm a snob, if I were to ever buy a sword, it'd have to be an MSSC. Given how much they cost, I'll stick with my stupid expensive statues lol.

Comment

It seems like the second Tauriel statue will fit quite well under the throne itself

ToT & Tauriel.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post

I agree completely. I second guessed myself quite a bit, trying to tell myself I didn't need this and should skip it. Didn't work. I do love the weapons but it's just too much for me. I love seeing all the displays people have with all kinds of lines from the various companies, but for me, it'd be too much. I just do statues/prints/maps. Plus I'm a snob, if I were to ever buy a sword, it'd have to be an MSSC. Given how much they cost, I'll stick with my stupid expensive statues lol.

Everyone is a bit crazy in their own way, I am no different and can absolutely understand that.

@Gwindor
                                I like this comparison.There is a lot of space on the base.

Do someone know the dimensions of the base only?

Comment

I'm not shocked at the price at all. I really assumed it would be in the zip code of $2500 so I'm more surprised that folks thought it wouldn't be at least that much.

Originally posted by HeraldElrond View Post
                                  I do think he's a bit overpriced, and if he'd been over 3k I would not have bought it. So it's not like those of us that bought this are without limitations. I honestly shouldn't be buying any collectibles, I should be saving my money, and I'm sure 99% of the rest of you could say the same. But we're not here to save money, we are here to follow our hobby and our passion. So while I agree in spirited debate about our purchases and the items Weta puts out, I think a lot of us here are just a little tired of the stigma put on people who buy something others view as overpriced or not good enough. There's no need for the guilt trips or non-constructive negativity.
                                  I'm of the same mind set to be honest in kind of seeing a trend and it's a little worrisome. I don't want to see as you said out spirited debate go from that, which I think is fun to something a little more toxic.

Comment

I hope Lee makes another appearance at a local Con at some point as I would love to get the base signed as I did with ToE. Take some carrying though

Comment

Originally posted by Elessar View Post
                                      I'm not shocked at the price at all. I really assumed it would be in the zip code of $2500 so I'm more surprised that folks thought it wouldn't be at least that much.

I'm of the same mind set to be honest in kind of seeing a trend and it's a little worrisome. I don't want to see as you said out spirited debate go from that, which I think is fun to something a little more toxic.
                                      Does anyone really KNOW if it's overpriced tho? Or by how much? As I understand it, making a good mold that will stand up to repeated castings isn't all that easy. Then there's designing the packaging. Then there were reports that less factories are available for casting poly, as it is hard, smelly work. So prices have gone up.
                                      Then WETA has to make some kind of profit.

I started acquiring pieces with the Hobbit line; have picked up a few older things here and there off Ebay. My impression is that WETA at some point always had some high end pieces (like bronzes) or the Master Swords.

Now prices have gone up and for me that's that. But there were always things I personally couldn't afford. Like a Mercedes. (A while back, I used to go out and admire this person's Jaguar - until one night I stood and watched the repo guys tow it away. Suppose it was good while it lasted.)

And to the folks who CAN afford Thranduil, many congrats - and pics are expected! I really thought hard about it - but for myself decided I'd rather direct the funds elsewhere. LOL just wish I could push the image of it out of my head, serenely gazing across my TV area .

BTW for U.S. folks, BBTS has this up for preorder - $4 shipping (deposit needed and u get no points with WETA tho).

Comment

Originally posted by Elessar View Post

For me it's trying to find that balance of being respectful for both sides. Many of the criticisms against Weta are completely valid, but many of the things Weta does that we don't like are done for a very good reason. Take the shipping issue. I think Weta went above and beyond and I see it from both sides. Not knowing the amount of shipping isn't a big deal for me because US shipping rates have been fairly reasonable, or in comparison to what it costs for everyone else, a downright bargain. So ordering without knowing how much shipping is fine for me, but in many cases it will be the price of one or even two regular 1/6 scale statues, which could certainly be a deal breaker. I know it would be for me. Then looking at it from Weta's side, this is the most expensive statue they've ever done, so they wanted to get it up for pre-order to allow for a 7 month payment plan to be paid off before it ships. Weta compromised and decided to forego the NRD if you needed to cancel due to high shipping costs so that they could still put it up for pre-order now and allow for that extended payment plan.

This is a PERFECT example of finding that harmony and balance. Of offering constructive criticism to arrive at a solution that helps both sides. It's not that I don't want to hear people's concerns and frustrations, for me it's quite the opposite. That's why I'm here. But if you're not being constructive and respectful about it then you're not only NOT adding anything to the conversation, but you're more than likely going to be ignored because you're not being respectful of the people you disagree with. Political Science 101.

As far as price, Weta is a business. They need to make money to employ people and continue to operate. If that means statue prices need to increase, then I will pay it until I feel I've been pushed out of the market or am done collecting. If pricing me out means that they can keep operating and making collectibles for those that can still afford them then I'm all for it. I can quit collecting or find something more within my budget. If I were to make something that took thousands of hours and try to mass produce and sell it, you better believe I don't give a good GD what people think of how much I charge. I'm here to make money, and so are they. This isn't a charity and you should not be getting things at cost. To think that Weta should make things as cheap as humanly possible for you is just conceit and delusion. Weta should find a pricing point that covers their cost, provides them with profit, and is within the realm of affordability. Profit drives business. I don't know what their costs are and neither do you. Sometimes they gamble and lose (MC Gollum), and sometimes they pull too far back and offer something at less than they should (MC TB). I mean does anyone think there would have been an early bird discount for TB if they had known he'd sell out in 20 min.? Would anyone have not bought him if there wasn't an early bird discount? Maybe, but probably not.

We are all spoiled, myself included, so we start to think we deserve things we don't. But in the end this is just a hobby, you don't need to buy any of it, and we're all here because we have an appreciation for the material, the artists, and the artwork. For me, and dozens of others, this statue is worth it. For many, it is not. If it's not, I'd love to hear why, but in a constructive way.

People feel attacked when you start criticizing something they bought and enjoy UNLESS you are doing so to be constructive. I'm sure many of you have friend or family that come in your place and see your giant collection of nerd memorabilia and roll their eyes or look disdainful. My sister and brother in law serve that purpose for me lol, I'm afraid to ask for something from Weta for Christmas because they'll look at me in that judgmental way when I open it to communicate they disapprove of the way I spend my money. I bet we all get that in the real world. We don't need it here too. You're here because you love the art and the material, so if you don't like something or disapprove of the way Weta does something, offer up solutions and you'll be heard, offer up nothing but disdain and criticism and you'll be ignored like my sister and brother in law.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberDwarf View Post

Does anyone really KNOW if it's overpriced tho? Or by how much? As I understand it, making a good mold that will stand up to repeated castings isn't all that easy. Then there's designing the packaging. Then there were reports that less factories are available for casting poly, as it is hard, smelly work. So prices have gone up.
                                          Then WETA has to make some kind of profit.

I started acquiring pieces with the Hobbit line; have picked up a few older things here and there off Ebay. My impression is that WETA at some point always had some high end pieces (like bronzes) or the Master Swords.

Now prices have gone up and for me that's that. But there were always things I personally couldn't afford. Like a Mercedes. (A while back, I used to go out and admire this person's Jaguar - until one night I stood and watched the repo guys tow it away. Suppose it was good while it lasted.)

And to the folks who CAN afford Thranduil, many congrats - and pics are expected! I really thought hard about it - but for myself decided I'd rather direct the funds elsewhere. LOL just wish I could push the image of it out of my head, serenely gazing across my TV area .

BTW for U.S. folks, BBTS has this up for preorder - $4 shipping (deposit needed and u get no points with WETA tho).
                                          This is the kind of post I really appreciate. Kudos to you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X