The Lord of the Rings Statue 1/6 Gandalf the Grey Pilgrim (Classic Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DD View Post

Honestly, my initial reaction was 'hm, okaaay. Gandalf. Cool. Solid choice. Not for me.'

But I'm tempted. I'm really tempted.

With the way I have everything displayed it doesn't fit into my collection as nicely as I'd like. Add to that the usual excuses of no space, little money, two other Gandalfs already in my collection, and I was heading for a nice solid pass. No biggie. Easy on the old wallet. But this Gandalf is just so well done! And it can also be a perfect stand-alone piece. It doesn't even have to be anywhere near the rest of my collection. And that's a problem.

So, yeah, I'm probably gonna have to order him.
    Order him, you know you want to...it’s small enough that you will be able to find a spot for him...and the wraith aswell, let’s be real! You don’t want to miss out on the first two statues in this line! It’s an open edition, but they could stop making them at any given time! You know you want tooo

And yes, I need Minas Tirith too, too bad it’s so expensive on eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Gwindor View Post

Also Galadriel, Dark Queen.
      Ah, don't have that one so hence the omission, though I do recall now it being mentioned before.

Comment

I do love it and I am starting to think I will get it. For me it is the most like the John Howe Gandalf the Grey painting. And that is my go to Gandalf image.

Comment

So I’m just thinking these open editions would make for good Black Friday purchases? Nice to have but if you miss them most people have the previous Gandalfs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Alwayshappy View Post
            Order him, you know you want to...it’s small enough that you will be able to find a spot for him...and the wraith aswell, let’s be real! You don’t want to miss out on the first two statues in this line! It’s an open edition, but they could stop making them at any given time! You know you want tooo

And yes, I need Minas Tirith too, too bad it’s so expensive on eBay
            Small enough to fit, you say? Not miss out? They could stop making it at any time?!

Wait. Whaaa? You're enabling me!

'A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world.'

Comment

Originally posted by DD View Post

Small enough to fit, you say? Not miss out? They could stop making it at any time?!

Wait. Whaaa? You're enabling me!

Is it working?

Comment

Nice line announcement, good prices up to date and i wait on black friday deals

Comment

This is a beautiful piece, of the most loved character. I still love my hobbit one more though thinking that is was my first Weta statue too so...

If I had the space I would buy this too but I have to save for a new character

Comment

Originally posted by Entrari View Post
                    So I’m just thinking these open editions would make for good Black Friday purchases? Nice to have but if you miss them most people have the previous Gandalfs anyway.
                    They will not be a part of BF 2020, maybe we see some deal on the earliest Classic Series for BF 2021, but it could be a deal like 2 for 600. If you then only want Gandalf, it's not the best deal for you

Comment

Agreed, I don't see them on a sale during the 20th anniversary celebration.

Comment

I guess I got spoiled by the last BF.

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoEyes View Post
                          Well, the SSW version wouldn’t be accurate either then, but they did cover all bases as it has the crystal in the top and the pipe too!
                          Oh my stars and garters!

In almost two decades I hadn’t any idea the pipe was on the SSW Gandalf’s staff, had a look and it most definitely is there. Same colour as the staff, so I always thought it was part of it. I would never have noticed, it’s really not noticeable unless you’re looking for it!

So why are we saying it’s inaccurate for Gandalf to store his pipe on this particular staff?

Comment

Well I just thought the pipe-bearing staff was the one lost at Isengard then he got a new one with a crystal! Or maybe it is the same staff, but how did he get it back from Saruman? He escapes Orthanc without it. Or does he have a stash of staves?

Comment

It's not the same staff.

Obviously losing one pipe with the earlier staff doesn't mean that Gandalf was going to quit enjoying his Old Toby, but there is zero filmic evidence that he stored his new pipe in the later crystal staff. It is simply not there. The SSW statue staff is just one of those strange little oddities.

Gandalf does seem to have access to an endless supply of staves though.

AUJ: original staff, presumably the one he brought with him from Valinor, destroyed in DG, but contained the genesis of the White Staff inside it.

BOTFA: is given Radagast's staff as a gift, but destroys the crystal battling at Erebor. This becomes the Pipe Staff we see in FOTR.

FOTR: after losing the Pipe Staff to Saruman, he gets the Crystal Staff, origin unknown.

TT: after losing the Crystal Staff in Moria, he comes back with the White Staff, gifted to him by the Valar (presumably from the ashes of his original Valinorean staff from AUJ).

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post
                                It's not the same staff.

Obviously losing one pipe with the earlier staff doesn't mean that Gandalf was going to quit enjoying his Old Toby, but there is zero filmic evidence that he stored his new pipe in the later crystal staff. It is simply not there. The SSW statue staff is just one of those strange little oddities.

Gandalf does seem to have access to an endless supply of staves though.

AUJ: original staff, presumably the one he brought with him from Valinor, destroyed in DG, but contained the genesis of the White Staff inside it.

BOTFA: is given Radagast's staff as a gift, but destroys the crystal battling at Erebor. This becomes the Pipe Staff we see in FOTR.

FOTR: after losing the Pipe Staff to Saruman, he gets the Crystal Staff, origin unknown.

TT: after losing the Crystal Staff in Moria, he comes back with the White Staff, gifted to him by the Valar (presumably from the ashes of his original Valinorean staff from AUJ).
                                But, by all rights he should have yet another staff at the Grey Havens if you follow the extended editions since his white staff was destroyed by the Witchking.
                                https://www.instagram.com/n2darkness/

Comment

Originally posted by N2Darkness View Post

But, by all rights he should have yet another staff at the Grey Havens if you follow the extended editions since his white staff was destroyed by the Witchking.
                                  Yes, I didn't mention that one last replacement since its essentially a second version of the exact same staff, rather than a completely new design as the ones before it.

In either case, Gandalf was clearly horrible at hanging onto his staves, but I would remind everyone that these are all movie inventions. IIRC, the books only cover the loss of his staff in Moria and his return in the new garb as Gandalf the White. Everything else is invented for the screen.

Comment

Galadriel carved one out for him.

Comment

My line of reasoning was that even though we didn’t see it on screen, isn’t it possible that he could still store his pipe easily on the Moria “Crystal Staff” at any time he needed to, as shown on the SSW Gandalf?

Very few Weta statues are from actual movie screenshots, and usually always take some imaginative liberties so that they’re never fixed to a particular moment!

Comment

Originally posted by Valar View Post
                                        My line of reasoning was that even though we didn’t see it on screen, isn’t it possible that he could still store his pipe easily on the Moria “Crystal Staff” at any time he needed to, as shown on the SSW Gandalf?

Very few Weta statues are from actual movie screenshots, and usually always take some imaginative liberties so that they’re never fixed to a particular moment!
                                        It's a perfectly sound line of reasoning, one I could easily embrace myself. The only flaw is that if you own either the Noble Collection or UC versions of the Crystal Staff, you will see that the branch crown is shaped differently enough that there is no receptacle for the pipe, unlike on the Pipe Staff. It's not quite the same as saying that Gandalf could easily affix his tobacco pouch to the Crystal Staff, which we don't see him do, but because it merely involves hanging the pouch from the branches, you know it's doable. The presence of the pipe on the Crystal Staff is not as easily explained, which is why to me, I accept it as a Weta goof-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkrist View Post

It's a perfectly sound line of reasoning, one I could easily embrace myself. The only flaw is that if you own either the Noble Collection or UC versions of the Crystal Staff, you will see that the branch crown is shaped differently enough that there is no receptacle for the pipe, unlike on the Pipe Staff. It's not quite the same as saying that Gandalf could easily affix his tobacco pouch to the Crystal Staff, which we don't see him do, but because it merely involves hanging the pouch from the branches, you know it's doable. The presence of the pipe on the Crystal Staff is not as easily explained, which is why to me, I accept it as a Weta goof-up.
                                          True, and the pipe obviously fits much better on the “pipe staff” which bears a designated receptacle, as you mentioned!

Well goof-up or not, it’s still kinda cool that they included it as a little bonus detail!

We know Sir Ian was heavily involved in the creation of the statue during the sculpting process so I wonder if including the pipe was his idea, or whether it was the artists? Will we ever know?

Or maybe, as the saying goes, we shouldn’t meddle in the goofed-up affairs of pipe-smoking wizards

Comment

Working...
                                          X